Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So I've got to be completely honest. I've had times of severely doubting the idea that "God talks to us" and times of believing it. I guess I mostly believed it because I had some success and a good friend of mine uses it to kind of guide their beliefs sometimes. What makes me doubt it is, to the untrained mind, a lot of what comes out of you asking God questions, the answers given to your mind.... could potentially be your own subconscious voice or demons speaking.

Then I read again about a character of the Bible who used beliefs in the way I described, and in an incredible way. When the servant asked the Lord to give him a sign who was to be Isaac's wife and he found Rebekkah through God's sign.

Isaac's and Rebekkah's relationship is an interesting one because it is just so different than relationships today. Today, people guide themselves instead of God guiding them.

So now that I have found some answers and those answers rest clearly in the Bible, then until someone can show me where "God doesn't speak to us anymore", I just have to change my mind and believe that yes, God can speak to us - with a lot of common sense and discernment. Because it's Biblical.

But I'm not stopping there. Somehow, I feel led that I need to do something different than "choose my future wife on my own". I need to get God's input too - somehow. Or else I personally believe the marriage just might not make it, in such a fallen world.

I know that reading some of my posts can be a roller coast. A few days ago, I was saying I was getting away from Charismatic beliefs. But the Bible simply silences any opinions or theories I have about things sometimes.

I've been super frustrated lately. I battle darkness and darkness clouds my vision. It did before I came back to the forums, but I have been reading the Bible and talking about God with a friend to combat it the past couple of days.

To summarize my post:

1. A few days ago I was super frustrated and thought God couldn't hardly talk to people.
2. Then I read in the Bible again that yes, He did give signs and even talks to people.
3. I stopped being frustrated.
4. I then saw how modern day relationships were just so different than Isaac's.

Reactions: Emli

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟203,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I've got to be completely honest. I've had times of severely doubting the idea that "God talks to us" and times of believing it. I guess I mostly believed it because I had some success and a good friend of mine uses it to kind of guide their beliefs sometimes. What makes me doubt it is, to the untrained mind, a lot of what comes out of you asking God questions, the answers given to your mind.... could potentially be your own subconscious voice or demons speaking.

Then I read again about a character of the Bible who used beliefs in the way I described, and in an incredible way. When the servant asked the Lord to give him a sign who was to be Isaac's wife and he found Rebekkah through God's sign.

Isaac's and Rebekkah's relationship is an interesting one because it is just so different than relationships today. Today, people guide themselves instead of God guiding them.

So now that I have found some answers and those answers rest clearly in the Bible, then until someone can show me where "God doesn't speak to us anymore", I just have to change my mind and believe that yes, God can speak to us - with a lot of common sense and discernment. Because it's Biblical.

But I'm not stopping there. Somehow, I feel led that I need to do something different than "choose my future wife on my own". I need to get God's input too - somehow. Or else I personally believe the marriage just might not make it, in such a fallen world.

I know that reading some of my posts can be a roller coast. A few days ago, I was saying I was getting away from Charismatic beliefs. But the Bible simply silences any opinions or theories I have about things sometimes.

I've been super frustrated lately. I battle darkness and darkness clouds my vision. It did before I came back to the forums, but I have been reading the Bible and talking about God with a friend to combat it the past couple of days.

To summarize my post:

1. A few days ago I was super frustrated and thought God couldn't hardly talk to people.
2. Then I read in the Bible again that yes, He did give signs and even talks to people.
3. I stopped being frustrated.
4. I then saw how modern day relationships were just so different than Isaac's.

Keep reading your Bible and keep talking about it with your friend. Next thing you know your arrow will be pointed to the right and at the end of the matter you will be standing on the right. Welcome back!

• Winner
Reactions: Emli and Left
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Once the canon of Scripture was completed, God has said all He is going to say to Christian believers. He will not say anything different to what has already been said and taught in the Bible. There are parts of the Bible that are for us, that is, for our education and learning; and other parts that are written directly to us as principles that we are expected to follow.

I don't believe in disembodied "voices" giving us direction and guidance. That is a bit occult and New Age for me. God does speak to us, but it is through reminders of what the Scripture has already said. I was walking along to the bus stop praying, and I made a specific request and went to quote a Scripture, but another totally different Scripture that I had not memorised came to mind. I found that remarkable because it was clear that the Lord wanted me to be reminded of that particular Scripture than the one I was going to quote from my memory.

Hebrews 1 says that in times past God spoke through His prophets, but in these last days, He has spoken to us through His Son. Jesus gave a lot of "Law" teaching to the unconverted Jews, and the purpose was that knowledge of the Law brings the consciousness of sin and is our tutor to lead us to Christ. This is why when the gospel is preached to unbelievers it has a very strong component of Law, so that people will be drawn to Christ as Saviour, and to stop people thinking that they can adopt Christianity the easy way.

If a believer is prepared to take the time to do deep study of the Scriptures and to spend extended time in prayer, they won't need to "hear" disembodied voices speaking to them. They will know the difference between doing what is right and what might be wrong. Discernment of good and evil, right and wrong, comes with a deep, comprehensive knowledge of the Scripture, not by hearing voices.

God does speak today, but He speaks through His Word, and any "guidance" through any kind of voice that is not in harmony with God's written word is deceptive. So, my view is to stop trying to hear God's voice speaking to you, and be a person of the Word and prayer, and then you will know when and where God is speaking to you.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What makes me doubt it is, to the untrained mind, a lot of what comes out of you asking God questions, the answers given to your mind.... could potentially be your own subconscious voice or demons speaking.

Ever read Romans 12 v 1+2 about your mind being transformed so you can test and approve Gods will for you.

You transform your mind by reading and knowing what the bible says.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Once the canon of Scripture was completed, God has said all He is going to say to Christian believers.
This is just unbiblical mythology Oscarr.
Scripture tells us that Satan speaks and deceives the whole world, including Christians, but
according to your theology, unless its quoting scriptures, God doesn't speak to anyone including his own children.
That makes Satan more powerful and wide ranging in ability than God!
He will not say anything different to what has already been said and taught in the Bible.
If you've never heard God speak to you Oscarr, then you must live a very cloistered existence.
God has been my ever present help and adviser in my business. In fact my business started with a revelation that God gave me.
As well as guiding me, He has got me out of many a hole I have found myself in. Two out of countless others would include-
God showing me in vision a unique method to repair a constantly failing machine to make it better than its original design.
God showing me in a dream the cause of a major plumbing failure that had totally defeated a heating engineer and the original system installer.
I doubt you would find these answers to prayer in the bible!
Psalm46v1God is MY refuge and strength, MY ever-present help in trouble.
There are parts of the Bible that are for us, that is, for our education and learning; and other parts that are written directly to us as principles that we are expected to follow.

I don't believe in disembodied "voices" giving us direction and guidance. That is a bit occult and New Age for me.
So when God spoke to the patriarchs and saints of the bible, were those
disembodied voices
New Age, occult?
Why do you put constraints on God?

I have heard God speak many times and very rarely is it from scripture. More often than not it has been about my life, work, family or about my intercession for the nation.
God does speak to us, but it is through reminders of what the Scripture has already said.
God speaks to those who seek him of anything and everything that's on his heart. Limiting God to just re-quoting scriptures reveals an astonishing lack of understanding of the Father's heart.
I was walking along to the bus stop praying, and I made a specific request and went to quote a Scripture, but another totally different Scripture that I had not memorised came to mind. I found that remarkable because it was clear that the Lord wanted me to be reminded of that particular Scripture than the one I was going to quote from my memory.
Yes this has also happened to me countless times, but making that the limit of what God can do for you is very unwise.
If a believer is prepared to take the time to do deep study of the Scriptures and to spend extended time in prayer, they won't need to "hear" disembodied voices speaking to them. They will know the difference between doing what is right and what might be wrong. Discernment of good and evil, right and wrong, comes with a deep, comprehensive knowledge of the Scripture, not by hearing voices.
Again you limit God's voice to academics, completely ignoring that long before the bible was ever available, people were hearing God speak and faithfully acting on it..
God does speak today, but He speaks through His Word, and any "guidance" through any kind of voice that is not in harmony with God's written word is deceptive. So, my view is to stop trying to hear God's voice speaking to you, and be a person of the Word and prayer, and then you will know when and where God is speaking to you.

When the writer of Hebrews takes a Psalm and repeats one verse three times in quick succession, it should get our attention!
Heb3v7Therefore, just as the Holy Spirit says:
“Today if you should hear His voice, 8do not harden your hearts,
as in the rebellion,

Heb3v15As it is said:
Today if you should hear His voice, do not harden your hearts,
as in the rebellion.”

Heb4v7again He appoints a certain day as “Today,” saying through David after so long a time, just as it has been said,
“Today, if you shall hear His voice, do not harden your hearts.”

We should be telling people to listen to the voice of God, not warning them to ignore it!

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The Lord speaks to me all the time. In promptings and impressions and Bible verses mostly. But also dreams and visions, words, and voices that are more or less audible. He has spoken LOUDLY at times where I have needed it.

And so does the enemy, but the Lord has taught me to discern it.

Jesus' sheep recognizes His voice. :)

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Scripture tells us that Satan speaks and deceives the whole world, including Christians, but
according to your theology, unless its quoting scriptures, God doesn't speak to anyone including his own children.

If you've never heard God speak to you Oscarr, then you must live a very cloistered existence.
God has been my ever present help and adviser in my business. In fact my business started with a revelation that God gave me.
As well as guiding me, He has got me out of many a hole I have found myself in. Two out of countless others would include-
God showing me in vision a unique method to repair a constantly failing machine to make it better than its original design.
God showing me in a dream the cause of a major plumbing failure that had totally defeated a heating engineer and the original system installer.
disembodied voices
New Age, occult?

I have heard God speak many times and very rarely is it from scripture. More often than not it has been about my life, work, family or about my intercession for the nation.

God speaks to those who seek him of anything and everything that's on his heart. Limiting God to just re-quoting scriptures reveals an astonishing lack of understanding of the Father's heart.

Yes this has also happened to me countless times, but making that the limit of what God can do for you is very unwise.

Again you limit God's voice to academics, completely ignoring that long before the bible was ever available, people were hearing God speak and faithfully acting on it..

When the writer of Hebrews takes a Psalm and repeats one verse three times in quick succession, it should get our attention!
as in the rebellion,

Heb3v15As it is said:
as in the rebellion.”

Heb4v7again He appoints a certain day as “Today,” saying through David after so long a time, just as it has been said,

We should be telling people to listen to the voice of God, not warning them to ignore it!

You may have misunderstood Oscarr, my friend. Oscarr's very wise words were providing clear guidance in how not to get caught up with Satan's very skillful ploys and deceptions.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
God speaks today and not just through the bible! A real life testimony.-

I owned and ran my own small manufacturing business many years ago.
In our production line we had a couple of machines which were unique in that they had been designed and built by the previous owner of the company for specific purpose.
Unfortunately, they were now antiques and constantly breaking down. Again unfortunately, the nearest equivalent replacement would cost over £15000 each, money we just didn't have.

Thankfully I had a great young engineer working for me who loved tinkering, so he invariably managed to get them fixed and back in production in fairly short notice.

He then went on holiday for a couple of weeks, and at the end of the first week, one of the machines packed in completely. My production guy came into my office to report the problem, and I told him to just use the other machine for the time being, hoping it would last till my engineer returned from holiday.
Grumbling about lazy bosses, my production guy stalked back out to the workshops.

I had long ago learned to live by the peace of God, and worrying about the broken machine just didn't touch me, despite the problem it posed. In my heart I was expectant that God had the solution in hand, and dismantling the machine was an arduous process which I had handled too many times in the past.

Later that afternoon, he rushed back in to tell me that the other machine was now completely out of action, and production was now backing up very badly and we had a whole pile of orders to get out.
He was clearly annoyed with me so I agreed to go out and have a look. Donning my overalls, I walked out onto the shop floor about fifteen minutes later.
As I did so, I distinctly heard God speak to me.
"Did I call you to go out here and fix this machine?"

I was completely stumped, but at the same time flooded with God's peace. But what was I going to tell my staff?
Not knowing how to do that, I fudged it and told them just to keep making parts and stockpiling them. My production manager was furious at my apparent indifference to his problems. Even though he was a Christian, he distained my trusting God for answers, viewing it as an abdication of responsibility!

The next day, a Saturday, we were closed and I needed to get some tools from work for a job at home so drove over and went into the workshop. As I walked across the workshop floor, thinking purely about the tools for the job at home, I suddenly had an open vision.

I saw in the Spirit, but right in front of my eyes, a shaped lump of steel. As I saw it, I also instantly realised what its purpose was.
God had just revealed to me an amazing simple way of fixing my two malfunctioning machines.
Not just repairing them, but fixing them in a completely novel way which totally bypassed the troublemaking components.

I didn't get back with the homemaking tools that morning. Instead I found some steel and in a couple of hours had made the component that God had shown me, and fixed it to the machine.
It instantly worked, and far worked better than it ever had before. Additionally, I didn't even have to dismantle the machine to remove the internally damaged bits, God's redesign rendered them completely redundant!

Satisfied, I went home and waited to see what happened on Monday when production started again.
Come Monday, I tried explaining to the guys that God had told me how to fix the machine, but I might as well have been addressing the machine itself for all the interest I received from my Christian employees.
Its amazing how blind and deaf false teaching and unbelief makes people.

Anyway, the following Monday, my engineer returned from holiday and when he saw what I had done, he burst out laughing.
He could instantly see that it was an amazingly simple design that should have been incorporated when the machine was first designed. Unlike my other guy, my engineer was used to hearing God speak so he was blessed at what the Lord had done to make his life easier.
In double quick time he did the same fixture to the second machine.

The machines never broke down again in more than ten years or so that I had the company after that time.

Can anyone give me chapter and verse where I could find that piece of metal to fix my machines?

Please don't anyone ever try telling me that God only speaks from the bible.
I know different.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
You may have misunderstood Oscarr, my friend. Oscarr's very wise words were providing clear guidance in how not to get caught up with Satan's very skillful ploys and deceptions.

God bless you.
I admit to being surprised at what Oscarr posted, but post he did with clarity, and I have no choice but to reject it.
Believing that God doesn't speak today other than through scriptures does nothing to prevent deception Brinny, neither is it biblical.

The majority church takes the stance of believing God has ceased to speak, other than reminding of scriptures.
Yet these same churches are riddled with different and conflicting theologies creating all sorts of denominations. This division is the result of deception by people who claim God doesn't speak today.

But if anyone talks about hearing God speak today, they launch a tirade of warning that they will all be deceived.
The logic is really quite hilarious.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I admit to being surprised at what Oscarr posted, but post he did with clarity, and I have no choice but to reject it.
Believing that God doesn't speak today other than through scriptures does nothing to prevent deception Brinny, neither is it biblical.

The majority church takes the stance of believing God has ceased to speak, other than reminding of scriptures.
Yet these same churches are riddled with different and conflicting theologies creating all sorts of denominations. This division is the result of deception by people who claim God doesn't speak today.

But if anyone talks about hearing God speak today, they launch a tirade of warning that they will all be deceived.
The logic is really quite hilarious.

You can see for yourself how deceived many are, fraught with confusion and torment, my friend.

Oscarr pointed out an "anchor", so to speak, which is God's Word.

God is not the Author of confusion, nor torment, nor deception, my friend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
The Lord speaks to me all the time. In promptings and impressions and Bible verses mostly. But also dreams and visions, words, and voices that are more or less audible. He has spoken LOUDLY at times where I have needed it.
Amen, amen and amen!
(I have been woken out of sleep by the audible voice of God!)
And so does the enemy, but the Lord has taught me to discern it.

Jesus' sheep recognizes His voice. :)
According to some Jesus must have got that verse wrong @Emli.
He really meant to say, "My sheep know their bibles!"

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

disembodied voices
New Age, occult?

as in the rebellion,

Heb3v15As it is said:
as in the rebellion.”

Everything that God has spoken to me since 1969 when He first revealed Himself to me, has been in total harmony with the written Scriptures. If you are hearing voices telling you stuff that is not contained in the teaching, or in harmony with the teaching of Scripture or how God has dealt with people throughout Scripture, then you are hearing the wrong voices.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I can say this much: I would not be where I am today had God not been so vocal in my life! I wouldn't know as much, I wouldn't be as brave and I wouldn't have as much faith, because I wouldn't have been neither encouraged nor pushed as far as I have been.

And although some or most people wouldn't agree, my faith is entirely Biblical. I know this because the voice that speaks to me is the same voice that speaks in Scripture.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I can say this much: I would not be where I am today had God not been so vocal in my life! I wouldn't know as much, I wouldn't be as brave and I wouldn't have as much faith, because I wouldn't have been neither encouraged nor pushed as far as I have been.

And although some or most people wouldn't agree, my faith is entirely Biblical. I know this because the voice that speaks to me is the same voice that speaks in Scripture.
I would not be where I am today

Where you are today?

And where might that be?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Amen, amen and amen!
(I have been woken out of sleep by the audible voice of God!)
I have too! Both from physical sleep and spiritual sleep.

According to some Jesus must have got that verse wrong @Emli.
He really meant to say, "My sheep know their bibles!"
Definitely true!

I understand the want and need to test everything against Scripture. We have to do that and Scripture comes first! But that doesn't mean that God isn't gonna get deeply involved in our lives. I choose to let Him do that.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Definitely true!

I understand the want and need to test everything against Scripture. We have to do that and Scripture comes first! But that doesn't mean that God isn't gonna get deeply involved in our lives. I choose to let Him do that.
Everything depends on what the audible voice told you. Either it drew you to Christ, or it distracted you from Him.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Definitely true!

If you heard an audible voice that sounded like God to you and it said, "Judas went and hanged himself, so go and do thou likewise?" Would you believe it? Why not?
But if the voice said, "Get out of bed and pray for [your brother/sister in Christ] because they need your prayers right now!" Would you believe it? Why?

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Where you are today?

And where might that be?

Thank you kindly.
Well, first you'd have to know where I was three years ago before Jesus came and rescued me.

I was mentally insane: borderline disorder, narcissism, bipolar disorder, depression, social anxiety, living in absolute sinfulness, witchcraft, sexual sin, lying and manipulating people, violent fantasies. You get it! I hated God, and I hated everyone. I was extremely anti-christian, persecuting Christians, or at least mocking them. After I was saved, I loved Jesus instantly, but it was such a struggle. I was so trapped in madness and sin, I could barely think straight. I couldn't even say the name of Jesus because I had so many evil spirits.

But God did NOT give up on me. He kept pushing me, and pushing me out of my comfort zone, out of my depression, out of my social fears, out of the prison I was in.

And today, I still struggle, but my focus is on God. I have chosen to completely put my life in His hands. I've changed so much. There's purity and kindness in me.

God took a monster and turned her into someone who (and I'm not bragging, because anything good in me comes from God) is fully devoted to Him. I actually have people telling me that I'm showing them Christ-like love. It shocks me! That's where I am today.

I was so deeply sinful, but Jesus has pushed me so much, so fast! And without His voice guiding me, or stopping me when I fell back into my old ways, pulling me away from disaster, I'd still be a complete reprobate today. Because as much as I love and devote myself to the Word, it's not enough for me to not feel His presence and have Him guide me personally. I wouldn't survive.

So don't underestimate how much He can do in someone's life. Don't limit Him, and who knows how far we could all go?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, first you'd have to know where I was three years ago before Jesus came and rescued me.

I was mentally insane: borderline disorder, narcissism, bipolar disorder, depression, social anxiety, living in absolute sinfulness, witchcraft, sexual sin, lying and manipulating people, violent fantasies. You get it! I hated God, and I hated everyone. I was extremely anti-christian, persecuting Christians, or at least mocking them. After I was saved, I loved Jesus instantly, but it was such a struggle. I was so trapped in madness and sin, I could barely think straight. I couldn't even say the name of Jesus because I had so many evil spirits.

But God did NOT give up on me. He kept pushing me, and pushing me out of my comfort zone, out of my depression, out of my social fears, out of the prison I was in.

And today, I still struggle, but my focus is on God. I have chosen to completely put my life in His hands. I've changed so much. There's purity and kindness in me.

God took a monster and turned her into someone who (and I'm not bragging, because anything good in me comes from God) is fully devoted to Him. I actually have people telling me that I'm showing them Christ-like love. It shocks me! That's where I am today.

I was so deeply sinful, but Jesus has pushed me so much, so fast! And without His voice guiding me, or stopping me when I fell back into my old ways, pulling me away from disaster, I'd still be a complete reprobate today. Because as much as I love and devote myself to the Word, it's not enough for me to not feel His presence and have Him guide me personally. I wouldn't survive.

So don't underestimate how much He can do in someone's life. Don't limit Him, and who knows how far we could all go?

Continue reading Oscarr's posts. He speaks the Truth. He doesn't speak about "himself", but about the living God, Who DOES speak through His Word.

You might want to recall, by the way, what you posted to me in another thread yesterday.

Were you having a bad day?

Upvote 0