Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I will offer an opinion here because I don't think it
contradicts any Catholic doctrines.

Daniel died a wealthy man and third ruler in Babylon.
He was also a eunuch, so he had no heirs to whom
he could leave his wealth. He knew when the messiah
was to be born, and the signs involved. I think he taught
a group of astronomers and wise men what to watch for
and had them guard his wealth and give it to the messiah
when he came.

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I would say them coming from Babylon and Persia is more likely. They would have needed exposure to Judaism which both of these locations had and they were also interested in astrology. There was also a belief in these two locations that the rise of a star predicted the birth of a new ruler. Also in the slaughter of the innocents, boys up to two years old were killed and I could see a trip from Babylon or Persia taking that long to arrive, but the Nabataeans were right next to Judea. At the furthest, it would be a 300 mile trip but if they were diplomats coming from the Capital of the Nabataean Kingdom, it would be under 100 miles.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would say them coming from Babylon and Persia is more likely. They would have needed exposure to Judaism which both of these locations had and they were also interested in astrology. There was also a belief in these two locations that the rise of a star predicted the birth of a new ruler. Also in the slaughter of the innocents, boys up to two years old were killed and I could see a trip from Babylon or Persia taking that long to arrive, but the Nabataeans were right next to Judea. At the furthest, it would be a 300 mile trip but if they were diplomats coming from the Capital of the Nabataean Kingdom, it would be under 100 miles.
Don't you mean astronomy?

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟756,718.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Don't you mean astronomy?

As an Australian, I always thought they were Tom, Dick and Harry.

On a more serious note, after reading Fr. Longenecker's post, I'm guilty of both counts for not having any idea who they were - the first was that it seemed unproveable, lost in the mists of history, and the other was that I wondered if the story was true, a quasi-historical embellishment, although Herod would have needed a reason to kill the infants, relying on innocent witnesses with enough credibility to take them seriously.

But even if Fr. Longenecker is correct, the fact remains his theory is just that - a theory. It may be a plausible theory, it may even be the correct theory - but if we don't even know for certain who actually penned the Gospels, we're not likely to be able to pinpoint who the mysterious Magi were.

They're in the story, but they're just as much unknown to us as the shepherds who saw the angels and the Holy Family, and for that matter the animals in the barn. They were there, but we have no idea who they were.

I suppose one day we'll find out, but we'll have to die first.

Upvote 0