I taught and worked with Amy Coney Barrett. Here’s what people get wrong about her faith.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,646,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John Garvey is president of the Catholic University of America. He is a former dean of the Boston College Law School and a former president of the Association of American Law Schools.

I first met Amy Coney Barrett from behind a veil of academic anonymity.

I was teaching a First Amendment class at Notre Dame Law School. She was a student, just a face in the crowd. On the final exam, someone — the bluebooks were anonymous — had written an answer so impressive that I rushed to share it with one of my colleagues. This student, I said, gave a response to my own question much better than the one I had come up with myself. That student was Amy Coney.

I hired the future judge as my research assistant. It was in that capacity that she co-wrote with me a 1998 Marquette Law Review article on Catholic judges and the death penalty — the article that stirred controversy during the confirmation hearing for her current position on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit in September 2017.

Continued below.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...-heres-what-people-get-wrong-about-her-faith/

• Informative
Reactions: royal priest