United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone

Today I’d like to ask the community for help with something that isn’t panic or anxiety inducing but contempt-inducing and condemn-inducing.

Now for someone like me,I think I am suffering the consequences of when I was younger fulling my mind with worldly ideas such as evolution,hawkings ridiculous theories,and the nonsense atheists babble and scream in anger about.Since my anxiety this past week has subsided,I’m now bombarded with questions regarding if “I’m somehow in a delusion” some sort of tormenting,freethinking ITs.

like I’ve said before,God is my life and my sanity and I am so close to him if I were to be separated from him it’d be like living without a brain or heart.I understand faith without questions is no faith at all.My biggest fear now has changed from a no longer existent fear of hell to a fear of apostasy and unbelief.

I feel like I’m alone in my struggle,I have strong secular phobia,and pay atheists no attention and scorn their ideas.I don’t hate them as people,but I scorn their attitudes of trying to hurt us Christians and bring us down.Has anyone ever had struggles with questions like this that you don’t want to face?

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
The majority of atheists are not atheists because they are out to get anyone or bring down Christians. They simply do not see evidence that they can accept that God exists. God loves us and meets us exactly where we are right now, even amidst our imperfections, fears, and yes, even disbelief.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi everyone

Today I’d like to ask the community for help with something that isn’t panic or anxiety inducing but contempt-inducing and condemn-inducing.

Now for someone like me,I think I am suffering the consequences of when I was younger fulling my mind with worldly ideas such as evolution,hawkings ridiculous theories,and the nonsense atheists babble and scream in anger about.Since my anxiety this past week has subsided,I’m now bombarded with questions regarding if “I’m somehow in a delusion” some sort of tormenting,freethinking ITs.

like I’ve said before,God is my life and my sanity and I am so close to him if I were to be separated from him it’d be like living without a brain or heart.I understand faith without questions is no faith at all.My biggest fear now has changed from a no longer existent fear of hell to a fear of apostasy and unbelief.

I feel like I’m alone in my struggle,I have strong secular phobia,and pay atheists no attention and scorn their ideas.I don’t hate them as people,but I scorn their attitudes of trying to hurt us Christians and bring us down.Has anyone ever had struggles with questions like this that you don’t want to face?

As a former atheist there is a great degree of satisfaction in catching Christians in their religious web.... in an attempt to disprove their beliefs.
It's was easy to do with religion ...can't do it with someone who knows biblical truths.

When that didn't work I always tried to pick a fight with them....I probably wasn't a nice person back then.

Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are some atheists who are just toxic and I avoid them. There are some christians who are toxic, and I avoid them as well. Not all of either camp are toxic, though, typically a lack of proficiency in the sciences is not going to go over well with atheists, and why should it? Christianity used to create universities and now we're expected to be anti-intellectuals? Something changed...

Evolutionary thought isn't necessarily anti-christian. It's against a certain materialistic fundamentalism which I personally don't see as a correct reading of scripture to begin with much less a reason to be offended at people who interpret the world differently.

If christians are expected to be book burning anti-intellectuals I don't think we're going to be winning any "culture wars" any time soon and will probably lose more christians in the process. Ofc, you don't have to accept any and every idea that comes your way.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone

Atheism is a religion in and of it self. It takes great faith to close your eyes and ears to intelligent design. Just as we as Christians need faith to believe in God even though he is all around us and revealing himself to us personally, it takes great faith to believe that there is no God and that we all came from monkeys by an accident of a big bang that no one knows what even exploded while making a God of science falsely so called that is suppose to have all the answers which is a contradiction all by itself because if we knew all the answers through science then there would be no need for science which would simply cease to exist. The theory of evolution is a part of the religion of atheism. So it takes faith to believe something that is only someone else's unproven theory.

God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Atheists are alright.

The key to reaching them is recognizing some of the things they know have validity in it. It hurts to be dismissed all the time and they feel the same way too.

I knew Atheists who are more Christ-like in their thinking than many Christians I know. We're really not more morally upright than them.

Our religion is not perfect, else there won't be thousands of churches divided against one another.

Recognizing our own errors and looking at were we fell is the path to reconciliation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Derek1111

Oct 28, 2021
RAF Northolt
✟30,198.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't think your feelings are healthy. Your conviction and degree of commitment to God is great, and long may it continue; but you are called both to personal discipleship and to help make disciples of all nations. I doubt many non-believers will be won over by a condemnation and contempt that God Himself doesn't feel.

• Agree
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think your feelings are healthy. Your conviction and degree of commitment to God is great, and long may it continue; but you are called both to personal discipleship and to help make disciples of all nations. I doubt many non-believers will be won over by a condemnation and contempt that God Himself doesn't feel.
Like I said,I don’t hate them as people,and want them to come to know the Lord,but when they bash the Lord and shout angry insults and blasphemies at him,that I have no respect for.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone

I have many friends that are atheists .... not a single one has treated me any worse than those within the christian faith ... in fact .... better in some ways. We may not agree ... but can agree to disagree and remain friends ... isn't a wedge in the friendship.

there are good and bad apples in ALL the barrels

Upvote 0

walkswithFire

Nov 26, 2021
New Zealand
✟33,121.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone

No, I don't have any issues with non believers like athiest but I do take issue with some religions who consider themselves christian but do not recognise Christ.

I like what Chesterton says in his quote re: Atheism

164708-Gilbert-K-Chesterton-Quote-If-there-were-no-God-there-would-be-no.jpg

• Agree
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are some atheists who are just toxic and I avoid them. There are some christians who are toxic, and I avoid them as well. Not all of either camp are toxic, though

Today's winner.

• Winner
Reactions: jamiec
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have many friends that are atheists .... not a single one has treated me any worse than those within the christian faith ... in fact .... better in some ways. We may not agree ... but can agree to disagree and remain friends ... isn't a wedge in the friendship.

there are good and bad apples in ALL the barrels
Well, this will be true for most of us -- the people we pick as 'friends' will treat us pretty well generally. It's on the internet you can meet the 'atheists' that are pretty insulting towards us, and it's fair to say they only represent themselves individually. Also, of course, some atheists on the internet are better acting, and even some pretty pleasant acting. But the good acting atheists can be a minority in some places on the internet, unlike in face to face life where most you'd meet act much better.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That I know,and find it astonishing.

He was a really good physicist. Remarkably, many of his predictions for the expansion turned out to be spot on. Predictably, a major atheistic scientist attacked the idea, apparently because it suggested an origin for the universe as opposed to the atheistic concept of "it was always here."

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Atheism is a religion in and of it self. It takes great faith to close your eyes and ears to intelligent design. Just as we as Christians need faith to believe in God even though he is all around us and revealing himself to us personally, it takes great faith to believe that there is no God and that we all came from monkeys by an accident of a big bang that no one knows what even exploded while making a God of science falsely so called that is suppose to have all the answers which is a contradiction all by itself because if we knew all the answers through science then there would be no need for science which would simply cease to exist. The theory of evolution is a part of the religion of atheism. So it takes faith to believe something that is only someone else's unproven theory.

God bless.

Maybe not so much faith .... but .... worship

A pastor once said that the thing you esteem most in the world is what you worship. This means that everyone in this world, even the staunchest atheist, worships something, whether it is a material object, a person, knowledge, worldly pleasure, or power.

Upvote 0

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,265.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
He was a really good physicist. Remarkably, many of his predictions for the expansion turned out to be spot on. Predictably, a major atheistic scientist attacked the idea, apparently because it suggested an origin for the universe as opposed to the atheistic concept of "it was always here."
People’s motives for their science are irrelevant. What matters for scientific purposes, is the quality of their scientific work. If it utter trash, it is utter trash, regardless of whether they are Saints, satanists, Swamis, Sikhs or sceptics.

Science as an enterprise is not predicated upon the morals, doctrines, beliefs, biographies, or any other personal details of its practitioners. What matters is that they should be good at what they do and seek to do; & that they should adopt the correct methods for doing it. If the methods that they adopt are inappropriate, that is bad for their scientific work.

• Agree
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
People’s motives for their science are irrelevant. What matters for scientific purposes, is the quality of their scientific work.

Just pointing out that Fred Hoyle, an atheist, was put off by the discovery of an origin for our universe. His presuppositions were clearly at the base of his objections. Whether or not the faith of the physicist who discovered this phenomenon had anything to do with his objections is not clear.

If it utter trash, it is utter trash, regardless of whether they are Saints, satanists, Swamis, Sikhs or sceptics.

And we know, from God and from science that there was a beginning to the universe, and that it is not eternal. Big bang pretty much settled that.

I have no anger toward atheists; today, many of them accept the discovery of that initial expansion. I just think they are wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: jamiec
Upvote 0