✟20,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello my CF family,

Please don't kick me off the forum for wanting to understand something that I have wondered for a long long time, and it is personal and challenging and makes me feel nervous just asking for "OPINIONS", but I guess I'll be brave and ask. Please forgive me if I offend anyone...that is truly not my desire...I really have just wondered this:

Okay, you are sixteen and you get pregnant, your family makes you have an abortion, now you are old and regret that decision, but can't change the past.

Now, even if this girl wanted the abortion too...why do Christians feel it necessary to "tell" someone else "how to live their life?". We as Christians would be in an uproar if they took away our right to choose our faith, true? So, why is it necessary for Christians to be so mean to those who have chosen poorly? It isn't the Christian that will suffer for that decision..it will be the woman or the man, whomever did the choosing who has to get themselves right with God, right?

I personally would NEVER have an abortion...but should I have the right to tell anyone else..no you can't. I think I could tell them..how they may feel down the road about their choice, but I still think everyone should have a "choice", and if they shouldn't, could someone...tell me why, please and thank you. So I am against abortion, but pro choice about it all for others...has God turned His back on me...for thinking about stuff like this?

Okay, now, I'm readied...I NEED to hear "why we must mess with anyone elses choices other than our own"? :confused: I so know I'm going be sorry for asking this question, but I have asked elsewhere and gotten the ususal cuz God says it is murder, end of story and for once I would so like an honest thought out answer. your weird sister in Christ, hannah :prayer:

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't worry, this isn't a reply tearing your argument to shreds. I just wanted to say that I agree completely with what you're saying. Like it or not, abortions are necessary in some situations. If they weren't necessary, women wouldn't actively seek them out and spend thousands of dollars on them. So I don't see how illegalizing abortion, and thus making it impossible for women to safely seek out this often-necessary procedure, is going to do any good. It makes no sense at all to me, which is why I could never see myself being pro-life.

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The primary reason is that they do not see it as a woman making a choice regarding her body, they see it as a woman making a life and death decision over the life of another human being.

Some just see a fetus, a collection of cells that might someday become a human being... others see a proto-human that should be protected once it passes a certain stage, others believe that once a sperm and an egg meet, the resulting combination is a human being with full rights... just like you and me.

That's why many who oppose abortion also oppose the pill. especially if it works by not allowing a fertilized human egg to take hold and grow. Some who are horrified by mid & late term abortions think the day after pill is a great thing, others are horrified at the thought that women would use such a pill.

It all really centers around what makes a person, and when a collection of cells is more than just a collection of cells.

Hello my CF family,

Please don't kick me off the forum for wanting to understand something that I have wondered for a long long time, and it is personal and challenging and makes me feel nervous just asking for "OPINIONS", but I guess I'll be brave and ask. Please forgive me if I offend anyone...that is truly not my desire...I really have just wondered this:

Okay, you are sixteen and you get pregnant, your family makes you have an abortion, now you are old and regret that decision, but can't change the past.

Now, even if this girl wanted the abortion too...why do Christians feel it necessary to "tell" someone else "how to live their life?". We as Christians would be in an uproar if they took away our right to choose our faith, true? So, why is it necessary for Christians to be so mean to those who have chosen poorly? It isn't the Christian that will suffer for that decision..it will be the woman or the man, whomever did the choosing who has to get themselves right with God, right?

I personally would NEVER have an abortion...but should I have the right to tell anyone else..no you can't. I think I could tell them..how they may feel down the road about their choice, but I still think everyone should have a "choice", and if they shouldn't, could someone...tell me why, please and thank you. So I am against abortion, but pro choice about it all for others...has God turned His back on me...for thinking about stuff like this?

Okay, now, I'm readied...I NEED to hear "why we must mess with anyone elses choices other than our own"? :confused: I so know I'm going be sorry for asking this question, but I have asked elsewhere and gotten the ususal cuz God says it is murder, end of story and for once I would so like an honest thought out answer. your weird sister in Christ, hannah :prayer:

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The primary reason is that they do not see it as a woman making a choice regarding her body, they see it as a woman making a life and death decision over the life of another human being.

Some just see a fetus, a collection of cells that might someday become a human being... others see a proto-human that should be protected once it passes a certain stage, others believe that once a sperm and an egg meet, the resulting combination is a human being with full rights... just like you and me.

That's why many who oppose abortion also oppose the pill. especially if it works by not allowing a fertilized human egg to take hold and grow. Some who are horrified by mid & late term abortions think the day after pill is a great thing, others are horrified at the thought that women would use such a pill.
But why can't those people see that, at this point in time, abortion is a necessary medical procedure for some women, and that the fact that they think of a fetus as a human being doesn't change that?

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think people are all over the spectrum on this issue, I've met those who make exceptions for the life or health of the mother, where others don't. I think you can be opposed to Choice and still allow for exceptions in cases where the health of the mother is at risk.

But why can't those people see that, at this point in time, abortion is a necessary medical procedure for some women, and that the fact that they think of a fetus as a human being doesn't change that?

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think people are all over the spectrum on this issue, I've met those who make exceptions for the life or health of the mother, where others don't.
Even if you're for abortions in life-threatening situations, you're still ignoring the fact that abortions are a necessity in situations that aren't life-threatening. (Oh, and by "you" I don't mean you personally.)

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe that's an arguement used by many who aren't really pro-life or pro-choice. Society could do a lot more to support mothers, and reduce the liklihood that they feel it's necessary to have an abortion. This is how we should be fighting abortion, not by outlawing it (at least not entirely)... but by using programs like WIC to better support mothers.

Even if you're for abortions in life-threatening situations, you're still ignoring the fact that abortions are a necessity in situations that aren't life-threatening. (Oh, and by "you" I don't mean you personally.)

Reactions: hannahfievel
Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe that's an arguement used by many who aren't really pro-life or pro-choice. Society could do a lot more to support mothers, and reduce the liklihood that they feel it's necessary to have an abortion. This is how we should be fighting abortion, not by outlawing it... but by using programs like WIC to better support mothers.
Exactly. I just wish that the militant pro-lifers could understand that.

Upvote 0

hannahfievel

He has known me since the womb, amen.
Apr 24, 2007
maryland
✟20,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello ACougar,

Okay, I understand it is about life and death decisions about another human. But, don't we all daily make that choice..to kill someone or not?

Think about a day when you were steamed at someone and thought a mean thought...Jesus said "you killed him just by your thought"...so I don't see how there is a difference in the Spiritual world. Killing someone in deed or thought according to our Lord is equal...so repenting of ourselves "should be our daily mission" and to tell others they "may do as they please...but there are always consequences" or haven't you noticed that as you have lived? :confused:

I've made some horrid decisions...even while knowing Christ, and HE still reeled me back and forgave me..and some of what I did..would make some here run screaming from me...but HE NEVER LEFT, He let me faulter, but when I fell...HE PICKED ME BACK UP. I can never ever Thank HIM enough for "all" that He has forgiven me for..time and time again, amen! your sis, hannah :hug: Cuz we gots to spread the LOVE, amen! :clap:

BTW...Hello HannahBanana! :hug:and a :kiss:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hannahfievel

He has known me since the womb, amen.
Apr 24, 2007
maryland
✟20,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it would be nice if the militant pro-choicers would understand that as well.

And, I couldn't agree more! Thanks ACougar, and nice to meet you! Now, your dealing with two Hannah's...feel caught? LOL!!! :wave: I be hannahfievel :)

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, I guess I'm biased towards the militant pro-choicers, since I'm one myself, and I think that women shouldn't have to go through pregnancy and childbirth if they don't absolutely want to. I honestly do think that abortion should be a woman's choice, and that it should remain completely legal. I understand that that's probably hypocritical for me to say, especially considering that I want pro-lifers to change their opinions, but it's honestly the way I feel on this issue.

Upvote 0

WatersMoon110

To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate
May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
*laughs* Agreed!

No matter which side they are on, people who are overly forceful about the issue of abortion would be better off if they could come together and realize a common goal: to better the treatment of pregnant women so that abortion is never again seen as necessary in non-life threatening situations. And, of course, funding research on fetal transplant surgery. *grin*

Edit: by "abortions being not seen as necessary" I am referring to abortions done when the couple cannot afford a child, or the woman feels she would be fired from her job, or a similar situation, where a couple/woman would otherwise keep the pregnancy, but feel that other forces in their life require them to get an abortion. I'm not talking about situations where a woman/couple just doesn't want to be pregnant, or doesn't want children ever, which I feel are a minority of abortions done, and really a separate situation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
*laughs* Agreed!

No matter which side they are on, people who are overly forceful about the issue of abortion would be better off if they could come together and realize a common goal: to better the treatment of pregnant women so that abortion is never again seen as necessary in non-life threatening situations. And, of course, funding research on fetal transplant surgery. *grin*
I'm sorry, but I don't want to have to be forced through pregnancy and childbirth against my will, even if there is a promise of excellent health care during my pregnancy. So why do you want me to be forced through pregnancy and childbirth against my will, then?

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think he was talking about fleeting thoughts, temptation, or even rage that we choose not to act upon. I suspect that he was refering to purpusfuly entertaining fantasies, fully enacting something in your heart.

If someone really believes that innocent human beings are being killed, they have good reason to try and end the practice.

If it's not a full human being, and making it illegal would result in 100's of thousands of unwanted babies, ruined lives, and back ally abortions... the pro-choicers have good reason to fight to keep it legal.

Hello ACougar,

Okay, I understand it is about life and death decisions about another human. But, don't we all daily make that choice..to kill someone or not?

Think about a day when you were steamed at someone and thought a mean thought...Jesus said "you killed him just by your thought"...so I don't see how there is a difference in the Spiritual world. Killing someone in deed or thought according to our Lord is equal...so repenting of ourselves "should be our daily mission" and to tell others they "may do as they please...but there are always consequences" or haven't you noticed that as you have lived? :confused:

I've made some horrid decisions...even while knowing Christ, and HE still reeled me back and forgave me..and some of what I did..would make some here run screaming from me...but HE NEVER LEFT, He let me faulter, but when I fell...HE PICKED ME BACK UP. I can never ever Thank HIM enough for "all" that He has forgiven me for..time and time again, amen! your sis, hannah :hug: Cuz we gots to spread the LOVE, amen! :clap:

BTW...Hello HannahBanana! :hug:and a :kiss:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WatersMoon110

May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm sorry, but I don't want to have to be forced through pregnancy and childbirth against my will, even if there is a promise of excellent health care during my pregnancy. So why do you want me to be forced through pregnancy and childbirth against my will, then?
Heh, I realized that my post sounded like it was saying that, and I clarified it while you were typing this.

Anyway, I certainly don't think that anyone who doesn't want to be pregnant should ever be forced to be so. However, I do think that there are couples/women who get abortions when they would much rather prefer to keep it, but feel unable to do so. It was these couples I was think of when I wrote that pregnant women needed more support, and not couples/women who simply want and then get an abortion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Heh, I realized that my post sounded like it was saying that, and I clarified it while you were typing this.

Anyway, I certainly don't think that anyone who doesn't want to be pregnant should ever be forced to be so. However, I do think that there are couples/women who get abortions when they would much rather prefer to keep it, but feel unable to do so. It was these couples I was think of when I wrote that pregnant women needed more support, and not couples/women who simply want and then get an abortion.
Oh, okay. Sorry for snapping at you like I did. I'm just really on-edge tonight for some reason.

Upvote 0

WatersMoon110

May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oh, okay. Sorry for snapping at you like I did. I'm just really on-edge tonight for some reason.
No problem, everyone I know has felt really on-edge today. It's an odd day.

That post totally came off sounding like something entirely different from what I meant. If I had read it, I probably would have snapped also (though I am now personally Pro-Life, as I have reached a stage in my life where I feel I could support a healthy pregnancy, if not fully support a child), though in a different way.

So, yeah, I don't want anyone forced into pregnancy. I do feel that someday, instead of early abortions, fetal transplant surgery will be done to move the unborn human into a woman who wants to be pregnant from a woman who doesn't want to be pregnant. I think that, at that point in time (if that does ever happen), abortion should only be done to save the life of the pregnant woman.

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There is the assumption that you knew that risk when you had intercourse. Even with protection you should know that you can get pregnant... so if you are unwilling to have children, you shouldn't be having sex. That sounds kind of harsh.. but I'm forced to agree, unless you were forced to have sex... you already made a choice.

Upvote 0

WatersMoon110

May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There is the assumption that you knew that risk when you had intercourse. Even with protection you should know that you can get pregnant... so if you are unwilling to have children, you shouldn't be having sex.
Are you seriously suggesting that people should only have sex when they want to procreate? I hope not!

There is certainly a risk of pregnancy even with safer sexual practices, but accepting that risk is not agreeing to remain pregnant if it unintentionally happens. Since everyone, including pregnant women, have the right to control their own body, and since abortion is legal; even if a Pro-Choice couple gets pregnant, they can choose to abort the pregnancy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.