• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I SHOULD NOT HAVE WASHED MY HANDS WITH SOAP

Kostilaks

Aug 24, 2018
Macedonia
✟72,424.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to have a compulsion to wash my hands with soap in a compulsive way. There is a chance that I may have made a rushed promise to God not to do that. I did that in order to force myself to stop this tiring compulsion and be normal. I do not remember clearly.

Today, I was thinking that there are very low chances of me having something contagious and that its a good thing in some specific times to wash my hands witht soap. I analyze it a bit if it counts as compulsion or not. If it does not count as a compulsion then I am not breaking the promise and i am free to do it. i decided that its normal. So, I washed my hands with soap.

After thinking about it more, I realised that there was no need to use soap and that the chances of me having something contagious are getting lower and lower. So, that means that I may have broken accidentally, a rushed promise to God that I cant remember.

I cant remember what the promise was exactly or if i meant it or if they were just, random thoughts. Mostly, I have intrusive, random thoughts that they do not count but that was in the begining of my ocd and perhaps, I may have made the mistake to mean a promise to God.

I do not want to make promises. Sometimes, I get an idea that if I make a promise to God not to do the tiring compulsion, I get so scared and I am being forced NOT to do it without worries. I feel partially relieved. it is like threating myself in order to stop the compulsion.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to have a compulsion to wash my hands with soap in a compulsive way. There is a chance that I may have made a rushed promise to God not to do that. I did that in order to force myself to stop this tiring compulsion and be normal. I do not remember clearly.

Today, I was thinking that there are very low chances of me having something contagious and that its a good thing in some specific times to wash my hands witht soap. I analyze it a bit if it counts as compulsion or not. If it does not count as a compulsion then I am not breaking the promise and i am free to do it. i decided that its normal. So, I washed my hands with soap.

After thinking about it more, I realised that there was no need to use soap and that the chances of me having something contagious are getting lower and lower. So, that means that I may have broken accidentally, a rushed promise to God that I cant remember.

I cant remember what the promise was exactly or if i meant it or if they were just, random thoughts. Mostly, I have intrusive, random thoughts that they do not count but that was in the begining of my ocd and perhaps, I may have made the mistake to mean a promise to God.

I do not want to make promises. Sometimes, I get an idea that if I make a promise to God not to do the tiring compulsion, I get so scared and I am being forced NOT to do it without worries. I feel partially relieved. it is like threating myself in order to stop the compulsion.

If you have a compulsion, I wouldn't have thought it was possible to "promise" God that you won't do it any more. You know more about this than I do, but isn't a compulsion something that you can't help; something you feel you have to do otherwise bad things will happen?

God knows you better than you know yourself; he knows your heart, your thoughts and your motives.
Personally I don't believe that a "promise" to God that you won't do something is valid - unless he asked you to make it in the first place. And as he knows about your OCD I don't believe he'd ask you to do such a thing.
Washing your hands, or not, is not a spiritual matter, will not affect, spoil or negate your relationship with God. I get that if you think you have made a promise to God, you will be scared if you break it, but I honestly don't believe that God would punish you over such an unimportant matter when he knows all about you anyway.

Has a doctor, or anyone, recommended anything to treat your compulsions?

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just thank God for loving you unconditionally and ask Him to teach you to love the same for then you will no longer be confused about what is sin and what is not sin.

Jesus loves you to come and get washed of your sins and shortcomings not freak if you offended Him. So go to Jesus tell Him you might have messed up and ask Him to teach you to love like He does.

Peace.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Its difficult to make promises to God. I have maybe done that a few times in my whole life.
We are fallible humans. God knows what we are about. He knows as Christians we will do are best so promising is not necessary. In this time we have many excuses to wash our hands to keep well. Washing your hands when you feel they are contaminated is a good thing. So don't feel guilty. You have dealt with this a long time so you will know when it is too much. Ask yourself if you have a good reason to wash them when you go to do it.
God bless you and peace from God!

Upvote 0

covergirl

Oct 4, 2014
✟20,816.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Just know in Jesus Christ He washes away our sins and makes us clean. John 15 talks about He made His disciples clean by the Word He spoke already. I also know in previous posts you said you talk to gods . So I will say if you simply let Jesus live with and inside you then you will be saved and made clean once And for all! He will help take away your mindset and the old has gone and the new has come as it says in 2 Cor. 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! Don't be compulsive about praying but just once ask Jesus to forgive you of your sins and wash you clean and you will be free. Love you

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I understand that it can feel good to promise God to not do your compulsions, because then it gives you relief from doing your compulsions. But really, I think the best thing to do is to just work on not giving into your compulsions. Doing that gives you practice in standing up to the OCD, and then you can start to experience some victory over it. My suggestion would be to ask God to clear you of any promises you've made in the past, then move forward without trying to figure out what you've promised and what you haven't. The OCD will make that hard to do, but I think that all this hyper-analyzing and ruminating will continue to keep you stuck in the OCD cycle.

Upvote 0