I read the scriptures, and they don't really speak to me any more. anyone deal with this? advice?

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
they stopped talking to my heart, my heart does not feel very receptive, at all, maybe a little, but only a tiny bit. this happened after some things happened in my walk with God. and after I sinned against Him. but any advice? how do you get anointing for your eyes so you can see? has anyone went through a dry period so dry that the Bible was like a book, not living and breathing?

Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A little advice, if you have not already, start memorizing Scripture. Dedicate it to memory, repeat it in your mind, think about what those verses mean, and not in a manner of just learning to recite words. I do not know your Bible reading habits, but maybe try reading a chapter from Psalms and Proverbs and another book. Turn to God in prayer, pour your heart out to Him and believe He hears you, if we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us, despite our unworthiness in ourselves, Christ is worthy and we are in Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
they stopped talking to my heart, my heart does not feel very receptive, at all, maybe a little, but only a tiny bit. this happened after some things happened in my walk with God. and after I sinned against Him. but any advice? how do you get anointing for your eyes so you can see? has anyone went through a dry period so dry that the Bible was like a book, not living and breathing?
Often the desert spells are there to test our 'stick-to-itiveness'.

Ruth-
Ruth 1:16 NKJV
[16] But Ruth said: "Entreat me not to leave you, Or to turn back from following after you; For wherever you go, I will go; And wherever you lodge, I will lodge; Your people shall be my people, And your God, my God.

Job-
Job 13:15 NKJV
[15] Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him. Even so, I will defend my own ways before Him.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do you also pray?

Upvote 0

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟841,192.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
God's Word is always good for you! keep reading it! you do not have to feel something when you read it. You can still learn from it and there are Bible commentaries online.
The advice to memorize God's Word was good too.
Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You. Psalm 119:11

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes i have been there and done that. It was the enemy pulling the wool over my eyes and tuning my heart out brother. Please beware!

That is what it was with me. i almost died to my faith down in the pit that followed. However meeting Him rock bottom and seeing His freedom to be loving to whosoever He wishes, even me. Sparked The Word alive again. Indeed i've read it as a personal testimony of my rebellion against Him, he utterly destroyed me in my personal critique on Him and the bible and all my Scriptural deadness and sins.

As a matter of fact i'm in love with the Word now. It has so much power to bring good life! For we meet the living word when you read the bible to your heart and let the truth of God's word expose the enemies within. What a SWORD!

So i advise you to go to God and to bare your heart at Him and to repent of spiritual deadness and sin and find new life in Him even today. Love for God, loves His Word, that much i do know about this.

All the best with this.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

It's like when a good basketballer is in a shooting slump...don't stop, shoot your way out of it, aka "fake it til you make it"...and, yeah, pray.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
this happened after some things happened in my walk with God. and after I sinned against Him.

I'm sure you asked forgiveness, but is there any chance you're having trouble forgiving yourself?

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

My advice is to fast...

It is like waving a flag - demonstrating that you mean business.

Pray and fast for a fresh thirst for His word.

Prayers like that never fail because you are simply praying for His will for you...

1 Jn 5:13-15.

Blessings,

Carl Emerson.

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Have you been baptized with the Holy Ghost?

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I love this analogy from Charles Spurgeon:

The word of God is always most precious to the man who most lives upon it. As I sat last year under a wide-spreading beech, I was pleased to mark with prying curiosity the singular habits of that most wonderful of trees, which seems to have an intelligence about it which other trees have not. I wondered and admired the beech, but I thought to myself, I do not think half as much of this beech tree as yonder squirrel does. I see him leap from bough to bough, and I feel sure that he dearly values the old beech tree, because he has his home somewhere inside it in a hollow place, these branches are his shelter, and those beech-nuts are his food. He lives upon the tree. It is his world, his playground, his granary, his home; indeed, it is everything to him, and it is not so to me, for I find my rest and food elsewhere. With God’s word it is well for us to be like squirrels, living in it and living on it. Let us exercise our minds by leaping from bough to bough of it, find our rest and food in it, and make it our all in all. We shall be the people that get the profit out of it if we make it to be our food, our medicine, our treasury, our armoury, our rest, our delight. May the Holy Ghost lead us to do this and make the Word thus precious to our souls.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, repent from your sin that has separated you from God. This is a good start. Walking in the Spirit is something we all have challenges in maintaining. The scriptures teach us and keep us on the narrow path. The written Word is our guild for life with the help from the Holy Spirit to stay the course. Now it is time to show and share the fruit of your walk rather than the condemnation you are feeling. A dry spell may mean a growth spurt in your walk. Sometimes God tests our faith and this may be a time for you.
Blessings

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes, I sure have. And we can all have moments of life when we feel this way because we're human ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
First, repent from your sin that has separated you from God. This is a good start. Walking in the Spirit is something we all have challenges in maintaining. The scriptures teach us and keep us on the narrow path. The written Word is our guild for life with the help from the Holy Spirit to stay the course. Now it is time to show and share the fruit of your walk rather than the condemnation you are feeling. A dry spell may mean a growth spurt in your walk. Sometimes God tests our faith and this may be a time for you.
Blessings
the sin was resisting fully surrendering to the Holy Spirit several times. and legalism, judging others, self righteousness, though I was beating myself up for all the sins I would commit, and I kept doubting, doubting that food was clean to eat, stating a verse that says that all things are clean, or that says to receive all things with thanksgiving, and giving thanks, eating, but my conscience was hyper-active, and I would confess it, ask for forgiveness, then eat again. one night I felt His presence leave. I occasionally thought that He would ask me to do a fast where I did not eat anything except what was offered to me, and I doubted, thought, what if no one gives me anything, and then did not do the fast, at least not totally. so I was struggling with food, doubts, fear, self-righteousness, not submitting fully to the Holy Spirit. felt His presence leave, and now am trying to get back to Him, but am having tremendous difficulty.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the sin was resisting fully surrendering to the Holy Spirit several times. and legalism, judging others, self righteousness, though I was beating myself up for all the sins I would commit, and I kept doubting, doubting that food was clean to eat, stating a verse that says that all things are clean, or that says to receive all things with thanksgiving, and giving thanks, eating, but my conscience was hyper-active, and I would confess it, ask for forgiveness, then eat again. one night I felt His presence leave. I occasionally thought that He would ask me to do a fast where I did not eat anything except what was offered to me, and I doubted, thought, what if no one gives me anything, and then did not do the fast, at least not totally. so I was struggling with food, doubts, fear, self-righteousness, not submitting fully to the Holy Spirit. felt His presence leave, and now am trying to get back to Him, but am having tremendous difficulty.
There is freedom in Christ and its starts with trusting Him. So relinquish your hold on righteousness achieved by human effort and tune to Him who is righteous and will show you the narrow way. Give up on YOUR efforts and let Him lead the way. He will do it.
Blessings

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,352.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have been trough a very rough patch after I sinned, it took me over 10-15 years to recover. Now my life is back on track, God allows us to undergo some punishment for our sins. You will just need to be persistent in following the LORD, not give up even if He lets you sit in a dry place.

Jer 30:11 For I am with thee, saith the LORD, to save thee: ... but I will correct thee in measure, and will not leave thee altogether unpunished.

However don't focus on punishment for the devil may take advantage of you, and bring things into your life that God never intended. Focus on the restoring power of Jesus.

Upvote 0