I ran over a cat tonight :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight on the way back from Walmart on a rural county road in KY, as I rounded a curve, a cat darted in front of me and there was no chance of avoiding it, and I tragically ran over it and have felt nothing but guilt and shame since. I know God forgives me for my mistake, but I cannot forgive myself for killing one of God's creatures. I love cats alot and it mortified and ashamed me so badly. :cry:

Jeff

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It wasn't your fault, Jeff. Although I know how badly you feel; I myself cannot hunt any more.....after my experiences working for Uncle Sam, I have discovered I've had enough of killing. :-(

Anyway, just be thankful you didn't hit a deer. That could have totalled your car, and possibly have killed you, too, depending on your speed.

Peace,
---Wols.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys the nice words mean heaps to me! :)

And I am glad it wasn't a deer as well, Wols. I was going 35 in my Corolla, which isn't exactly the size of an SUV. I think I am feeing better now about it. Kinda like Maverick was when Goose died in Top Gun, but nowhere nearly as long a a grief period. :)

Upvote 0

RayNay714

Worshiper and Seeker
Feb 19, 2002
Kentucky
Visit site
✟807.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think that in KY it is just asking to happen. I had three cats ran over when I lived there, and one went missing and we never found it. (I think it may have suffered the same death) Don't worry about it. God will provide another cat to take its place. Don't be so sad! Be happy!

Upvote 0

OldBadfish

Dec 30, 2001
Montana
✟12,709.00
When I lived in Michigan, driving around there was like playing "dodge the raccoons", while I never quite hit one, I came close several times (dead raccoons litter the sides of the roads everywhere), and I think my Dad has run over several.

When I lived in Washington I ran over a Possum with a litter of 8 or 9 babies in her pouch, I got out of the car and ran to the possum but she was a goner, I moved it off the road and noticed the dead babies in her pouch, except 1 that was moving around, so I grabbed it and wrapped it in my jacket and took it home.

I raised it on milk and a dropper (and other things as it got older), and after 3 or 4 months it was big enough to be put back into the wild, besides the thing would hiss at me and try to bite me (not the friendliest of creatures).

Jeff, there was nothing you could do, so ease your mind.

Take Care and God Bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>, that's a shame. well, you said there was no way to avoid it.

That is the kinda stuff you have to think to pray about ahead of time. I pray for God's protection 100 feet in front and behind my car and 50 on both sides. I believe He does send His angels to watch over us. But we often have not, because we ask not.

Upvote 0

Josephus

<b>Co-Founder Christian Forums</b>
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
I ran over a rabbit once with my right REAR tire as I was SLOWING DOWN for a STOP SIGN!!!

point is, I think if God wants an animal to go, it doesn't matter if it's your timing or not. Somehow, someWAY the animal has a date with destiny.

I know this doesn't help much, but I did feel bad for months...until my tires were rotated and a week later I ran over a squirrel with the same tire (left front this time)! Rotated again six months later, and that same blad-gonned tire took out a cat at 75 mph (this time as the right front).

The death tire is still on my car. But I've refused to drive it and have since given my car to my sister. *g she's had no run-ins.

I've since given up praying for protection, because if God wants an animal to go, it's gonna go, no matter how hard I try to avoid it (though I really really really do.) For every one I've killed, I've saved about 9 other animals. A 9 to 1 ratio, that's not bad.

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Jeff:

You know how birds like to congregate in the street, then they flutter off as soon as a car approaches? It always seems like such a close call, and I wondered if birds ever got clobbered. Well, one day driving to work, there was an extremely slow bird in the street. It flew straight up as I neared, and THUNK! I hit it. I was bummed out all the way to work, and when I tried to discuss it with a co-worker, he made an ugly face and snarled at me, "BIRD KILLER!"

It worked, he did make me smile.

Maybe we should all take a moment to think of how animals enrich our lives. From the pets who love us unconditionally to the meat on the table, even the leather in our shoes. Did you have eggs for breakfast? With, perhaps a glass of milk?

The cycle of life to which we all belong: we are born, we live, and we die. For our animal friends, we are grateful for the contribution they make to us.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0
Vow and Josephus thanks so much. :)

And to think I am one of the biggest meat eaters you'd ever meet, lol. :lol:

But also, while I do love animals greatly, human life has to come first. I would not hesitate to shoot and kill any animal that attacks me or a loved one or one of my animals. Barbaric? Maybe, but self-defense for sure. Those PETA cronies are something else right? They tell you beer is better for ya than milk. :lol: :rolleyes:

Jeff

Upvote 0

WhitBit

Mirror of His Heart
Feb 5, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟610.00
I remember my sister driving up with the tail-end of a bird stuck in the grill of her car...outstretches wings, tucked feet and all...looked as though someone had simply stopped the thing in flight, chopped the front half off, and glued it to the car...

It was the saddest, strangest, funniest thing I do believe I've ever seen in my life - what a conflict of emotions, we were in tears for the poor thing, but fighting giggles at the sight.

Ironic - she was on her way home from church :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AndiLynn

Feb 4, 2002
Illinois
✟8,208.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I once hit a rabbit, a bird, and a racoon....all in the same day. All within a few hours, actually. :(

I didn't really get a chance to feel bad though. I was driving my brother and a friend of his around for the day, and (being 15 year old boys) they cheered every time I hit something, and were urging me to aim for others....I really wanted to feel bad, but they were making me laugh!

Upvote 0

soulsisterclaire

JESUS DIED FOR YOU & ME
Feb 26, 2002
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,279.00
Someone ran over my cat Gabby a few years ago. I was very sad. I loved my cat a lot, but she had a habit of peeing on EVERYTHING she possibly could. Even my computer keyboard and stove. Imagine turning on the stove and smelling burning cat pee! It smells awful! Not to mention the clean-up. She was fixed and everything, we could not figure out what was wrong with her!

Anyway, then I found out I would be having another baby!
I had read that a pregnant woman is not supposed to clean out a litter box, because of toxoplasmosis(sp). It is a disease in cat feces and urine, and can cause serious birth defects in baby's whose mothers contract it during pregnancy. I had told Jasmine(my 12 yr old daughter) this and had made her clean out the litter box(we had another cat) while I was pregnant.

One day Jasmine had a revelation about Gabby(the cat) being run over...

She said "I bet that is why God let Gabby get run over...cause He knew you were going to have a baby! He knew that the cat tee tee can be harmful to a pregnant woman, He didn't want your unborn baby to be harmed"

My point: God indeed DOES work in mysterious ways. I am sure the Lord had His reasons for allowing you to hit the cat, so don't feel all that bad.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.