• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I need to trust Jesus for my salvation

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, my name is Zack and I am a christian as you know. I am doubting my salvation and it's because I am not looking to Jesus and I need to. I have scrupulosity and when I have these terrible thoughts it's really hard for me to focus on Jesus. I have accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior and I try to obey Him all the time, it's just that with these terrible thoughts it's so hard to not fight the thoughts even though I need to look to Jesus and not myself. Please pray for me and thank you all for reading this. God bless you all and Jesus is Lord and Jesus is my personal Lord and Savior.

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've said this for a few years now: If you're starting to have niggling feelings that you are not being good enough to be saved, you're doing it wrong. You will never be good enough.

I used to use this analogy: Imagine "going to heaven" as a contest between two men. The contest is this: Using a running start and only their muscles, they must jump the grand canyon at its widest point.

They are given six months to prepare. One guy spends it sitting in the sofa, drinking beer and watching every episode of his favorite TV shows. The other spends the entire time in the gym, on the track and shooting up steroids.

The big day comes: Neither even comes close to doing much more than dying on the rocks at the bottom of the cliff from which he jumped. Let's call that "hell".

i.e. you can't do it on your own so stop trying. That is, stop trying to please him for the purpose of being good enough to deserve your grace.

Rather, understand that He is the eagle that, as you jump, swoops down, grabs you by the shoulder, and carries you all the way across. So do the right thing because you are a slave to Jesus, not sin. Do the right thing because you want to please him. But know that what you do has nothing to do with how far across the canyon you get. Rather, understand you are under grace, which is the eagle in my analogy.

Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've said this for a few years now: If you're starting to have niggling feelings that you are not being good enough to be saved, you're doing it wrong. You will never be good enough.

I used to use this analogy: Imagine "going to heaven" as a contest between two men. The contest is this: Using a running start and only their muscles, they must jump the grand canyon at its widest point.

They are given six months to prepare. One guy spends it sitting in the sofa, drinking beer and watching every episode of his favorite TV shows. The other spends the entire time in the gym, on the track and shooting up steroids.

The big day comes: Neither even comes close to doing much more than dying on the rocks at the bottom of the cliff from which he jumped. Let's call that "hell".

i.e. you can't do it on your own so stop trying. That is, stop trying to please him for the purpose of being good enough to deserve your grace.

Rather, understand that He is the eagle that, as you jump, swoops down, grabs you by the shoulder, and carries you all the way across. So do the right thing because you are a slave to Jesus, not sin. Do the right thing because you want to please him. But know that what you do has nothing to do with how far across the canyon you get. Rather, understand you are under grace, which is the eagle in my analogy.
Thank you for posting this, you are exactly right, it's like I know that I need to only rely on Jesus to save me but when I get the bad thoughts it's hard for me to do that but you're right and please pray for me to focus on Jesus and not on me. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, my name is Zack and I am a christian as you know. I am doubting my salvation and it's because I am not looking to Jesus and I need to. I have scrupulosity and when I have these terrible thoughts it's really hard for me to focus on Jesus. I have accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior and I try to obey Him all the time, it's just that with these terrible thoughts it's so hard to not fight the thoughts even though I need to look to Jesus and not myself. Please pray for me and thank you all for reading this. God bless you all and Jesus is Lord and Jesus is my personal Lord and Savior.

This is a wonderful song that could help, because it can help in several ways, including altering our state of mind into a good direction.

We are all just as deeply reliant on Christ Jesus as this song leads us to see.

Wonderfully, His actual words to us, which He said as recorded in the 4 gospels, in order that we would listen and hear -- these words actually alter us, and aid us. Just to listen and truly hear as we read His words to us transforms us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for posting this, you are exactly right, it's like I know that I need to only rely on Jesus to save me but when I get the bad thoughts it's hard for me to do that but you're right and please pray for me to focus on Jesus and not on me. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.
This may sound weird, but when I think on the fact that I'm saved regardless, it's EASIER to do the right thing.

Upvote 0

Cat Loaf You

Dec 11, 2017
Warsaw
✟22,505.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Stop trying to pay your way to heaven you can't .

Psalm 49

6They that trust in their wealth, and boast themselves in the multitude of their riches;

7 None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

8 (For the redemption of their soul is precious, and it ceaseth for ever:)

15 But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah.

It's free gift not by works Ephesians 2:8-9

Every time you think that you are not saved just call on the name of YAHWEH as seen in Romans 10:13 and you will have peace .

Jesus died for your sins and bought you with his blood , he died for your future sins also so don't be afraid , just confess to him that you sinned against him 1 John 1:9

• Winner
Reactions: Almost there
Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Psalm 49

6They that trust in their wealth, and boast themselves in the multitude of their riches;

7 None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

15 But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah.

Every time you think that you are not saved just call on the name of YAHWEH as seen in Romans 10:13 and you will have peace .

Jesus died for your sins and bought you with his blood , he died for your future sins also so don't be afraid , just confess to him that you sinned against him 1 John 1:9
Thanks for posting this, you are right, I need to

Psalm 49

Thank you for posting this, you are right and I need to look to Jesus. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cat Loaf You
Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a wonderful song that could help, because it can help in several ways, including altering our state of mind into a good direction.

We are all just as deeply reliant on Christ Jesus as this song leads us to see.

Wonderfully, His actual words to us, which He said as recorded in the 4 gospels, in order that we would listen and hear -- these words actually alter us, and aid us. Just to listen and truly hear transforms us.
Thank you, I haven't listened to it but I definitely know that christian music lifts me up.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, I haven't listened to it but I definitely know that christian music lifts me up.

Great. Also, reading Christ's words in the 4 gospels, daily, is a life-changing thing we are do to, even He said: "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior and I try to obey Him all the time, it's just that with these terrible thoughts it's so hard to not fight the thoughts even though I need to look to Jesus and not myself

Jesus isn't just your saviour. He is also your creator.
He knows what you and I are like. He knows our weaknesses etc and he knew them before he planned our salvation.
The amazing thing is that he still came and died to save us.

Carry on doing your best to obey him.

Remember 1John 1:9 and use it frequently.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for posting this, you are right, I need to

Then you really were trying to pay your way into heaven, or were you just being polite towards the poster that said you were?

I ask because I've never known anyone to think being obedient to God was paying their way into heaven, it's just a natural part of the salvation plan.

Jesus said simply, if you love me you will keep my commandments, and if I'm not mistaken, loving Christ is a priority. :)

Edit: I realize my question puts you on the spot so, though an answer would be appreciated, it's not required. Pretty sure I get what's going on. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,923,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Zack, I too struggled greatly and seemingly endlessly with a horrible thought-life when I first became a Christian over 30 years ago, but I do no longer, PTL :) What changed my life was getting all the ugly gunk out of my head (that was a carryover from my years of living sinfully in the world) and filling it with something far, far better (I am principally talking about God's word, of course). This can be done in at least a couple of different ways, but for me and many, many others, it was the systematic/topical memorization of Scripture that ended up being the key. God's word begins to replace all the gunk up there and it seems to leave no room for it to return (this is what I was told would happen by the guy who convinced me to try Scripture memorization to solve this problem and he was right).

I won't kid you, it's hard work, but the spiritual benefits that you will reap from it will far outweigh any effort you put into it, I promise you. If you pray and this sounds like something you'd like to do, PM me as I'd be happy to help you get started.

*(BTW, I've never memorized entire books or the NT itself, but only a small number, about 100 verses and passages all told, and that, typically at 2 verses per week)

In the meantime, we are told to "take captive" all of our horrible, sinful thoughts, again and again and again as necessary, and give them over to Christ to deal with so that they don't become sin .. 2 Corinthians 10:5. I know this is hard, especially when the enemy keeps shooting his flaming arrows at you salvo-style .. Ephesians 6:10-17 (see v16 in particular), but the Bible also gives us these instructions concerning him .. James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:8, so keep up the good fight and do not lose hope in the moment or in the long-run .. Isaiah 40:31, Isaiah 41:10 :oldthumbsup: (and always remember Who it is that you serve, your loving Abba, Father, who gave you His one and only Son to save you and to see you through this life to Glory as well :amen: .. Philippians 1:6, 2:13, Hebrews 7:25).

Also, always remember where this ugliness is coming from and who's actually behind it (and don't listen when thoughts come into your mind like, "real Christians would never do or think something like that", because such thoughts do not come from God).

And don't think that the Lord is unaware of your struggle or that He has never seen such sinful thoughts or actions before, rather, remember that your thoughts are nothing knew, and trust that God has already provided you with a way out from under them and look for that way .. 1 Corinthians 10:13.

**(And never forget that when we do sin, He is always waiting for us to come to Him seeking forgiveness so that He might forgive us of and restore us to full fellowship with Him .. 1 John 1:9, even when we have to do so over and over again .. Matthew 18:21-22)

So pray, be in the word morning and night .. Joshua 1:8; 2 Timothy 3:16-17, be in fellowship with your brothers and sisters in Christ as often as possible .. Proverbs 27:17, and help others get to know Him and the faith .. Isaiah 43:10.

If you have not done so already, take these concerns to your elders and your pastor immediately as they/he has been given the job of watching over your soul by God, particularly your pastor, as your underservent in Christ .. Hebrews 13:17.

Oh, and you might also listen to daily broadcasts like these (see below) to help you grow in the knowledge and understanding of God, and to help you begin to dwell more regularly on better things .. Philippians 4:8.

Renewing Your Mind .. Dr. R. C. Sproul
Insights for Living .. Dr. Chuck Swindoll
Grace to You .. Dr. John MacArthur
Praying for you!

In Christ,
David
p.s. - memorizing Scripture allows the HS to work more powerfully within you, and it makes sinning an especially hard thing to do, because once you've memorized an number of key verses, the HS will bring the pertinent verses to mind every time you start to think about sinning about why you shouldn't do so ;)

*(just fyi, I have been badly injured recently, so please be patient if you do not see a reply from me quickly as I can barely sit and type right now .. this is the most I have typed in a week, and it took my several sittings to get it done sadly)

"How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it
according to Thy word. Thy word I have treasured
in my heart that I may not sin against Thee"

Psalm 119:9,11

quote-my-hope-lives-not-because-i-am-not-a-sinner-but-because-i-am-a-sinner-for-whom-christ-charles-spurgeon-57-36-33.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then you really were trying to pay your way into heaven, or were you just being polite towards the poster that said you were?

I ask because I've never known anyone to think being obedient to God was paying their way into heaven, it's just a natural part of the salvation plan.

Jesus said simply, if you love me you will keep my commandments, and if I'm not mistaken, loving Christ is a priority. :)

Edit: I realize my question puts you on the spot so, though an answer would be appreciated, it's not required. Pretty sure I get what's going on. :)
I am not trying to pave my way into Heaven as I know that I can't, only Jesus Christ can save me, what I meant when I said to the poster that they were right was that I need to look to Jesus and not me. I can see why that would be confusing, sorry didn't mean to confuse you if I did. God bless you and thank you for your reply.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Zack, I too struggled greatly and seemingly endlessly with a horrible thought-life when I first became a Christian over 30 years ago, but I do no longer, PTL :) What changed my life was getting all the ugly gunk out of my head (that was a carryover from my years of living sinfully in the world) and filling it with something far, far better (I am principally talking about God's word, of course). This can be done in at least a couple of different ways, but for me and many, many others, it was the systematic/topical memorization of Scripture that ended up being the key. God's word begins to replace all the gunk up there and it seems to leave no room for it to return (this is what I was told would happen by the guy who convinced me to try Scripture memorization to solve this problem and he was right).

I won't kid you, it's hard work, but the spiritual benefits that you will reap from it will far outweigh any effort you put into it, I promise you. If you pray and this sounds like something you'd like to do, PM me as I'd be happy to help you get started.

*(BTW, I've never memorized entire books or the NT itself, but only a small number, about 100 verses and passages all told, and that, typically at 2 verses per week)

In the meantime, we are told to "take captive" all of our horrible, sinful thoughts, again and again and again as necessary, and give them over to Christ to deal with so that they don't become sin .. 2 Corinthians 10:5. I know this is hard, especially when the enemy keeps shooting his flaming arrows at you salvo-style .. Ephesians 6:10-17 (see v16 in particular), but the Bible also gives us these instructions concerning him .. James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:8, so keep up the good fight and do not lose hope in the moment or in the long-run .. Isaiah 40:31, Isaiah 41:10 :oldthumbsup: (and always remember Who it is that you serve, your loving Abba, Father, who gave you His one and only Son to save you and to see you through this life to Glory as well :amen: .. Philippians 1:6, 2:13, Hebrews 7:25).

Also, always remember where this ugliness is coming from and who's actually behind it (and don't listen when thoughts come into your mind like, "real Christians would never do or think something like that", because such thoughts do not come from God).

And don't think that the Lord is unaware of your struggle or that He has never seen such sinful thoughts or actions before, rather, remember that your thoughts are nothing knew, and trust that God has already provided you with a way out from under them and look for that way .. 1 Corinthians 10:13.

**(And never forget that when we do sin, He is always waiting for us to come to Him seeking forgiveness so that He might forgive us of and restore us to full fellowship with Him .. 1 John 1:9, even when we have to do so over and over again .. Matthew 18:21-22)

So pray, be in the word morning and night .. Joshua 1:8; 2 Timothy 3:16-17, be in fellowship with your brothers and sisters in Christ as often as possible .. Proverbs 27:17, and help others get to know Him and the faith .. Isaiah 43:10.

If you have not done so already, take these concerns to your elders and your pastor immediately as they/he has been given the job of watching over your soul by God, particularly your pastor, as your underservent in Christ .. Hebrews 13:17.

Oh, and you might also listen to daily broadcasts like these (see below) to help you grow in the knowledge and understanding of God, and to help you begin to dwell more regularly on better things .. Philippians 4:8.

Renewing Your Mind .. Dr. R. C. Sproul
Insights for Living .. Dr. Chuck Swindoll
Grace to You .. Dr John MacArthur
Praying for you!

In Christ,
David
p.s. - memorizing Scripture allows the HS to work more powerfully within you, and it makes sinning an especially hard thing to do, because once you've memorized an number of key verses, the HS will bring the pertinent verses to mind every time you start to think about sinning about why you shouldn't do so ;)

*(just fyi, I have been badly injured recently, so please be patient if you do not see a reply from me quickly as I can barely sit and type right now .. this is the most I have typed in a week, and it took my several sittings to get it done sadly)

"How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it
according to Thy word. Thy word I have treasured
in my heart that I may not sin against Thee"

Psalm 119:9,11

quote-my-hope-lives-not-because-i-am-not-a-sinner-but-because-i-am-a-sinner-for-whom-christ-charles-spurgeon-57-36-33.jpg
Thank you very very much for your reply, I can't thank you enough for your time. I would love to get started on the memorizing scripture. Please pm me and I would love to get started. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not trying to pave my way into Heaven as I know that I can't, only Jesus Christ can save me, what I meant when I said to the poster that they were right was that I need to look to Jesus and not me. I can see why that would be confusing, sorry didn't mean to confuse you if I did. God bless you and thank you for your reply.

Thanks, I actually didn't think you were, and no fault to you, I was just making sure. :)

Upvote 0

gloriousday2006

Jul 8, 2017
Fargo
✟31,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Zack, I am so praying for you! Do not let the thoughts get to you. I know how you feel, they are awful and sometimes heart stabbing, but you can get through with Jesus. Listening to a bunch of sermons, one by Joyce Meyers, stuck with me and it is helping me as I wade through this OCD. No matter what thoughts are thrown into my mind, no matter how I feel in the natural, I am going deeper with God. The way to move through this is to trust and live deeper. Read, study, and adhere to His WORD. When I have horrible thoughts attack my mind, I rebuke them, ignore them, and pray to the Lord that I will go deeper with Him. I will keep pressing towards the Lord no matter what. Stay connected, dig in to the word, the less you pay attention to the thoughts the more they will go away.

Friend, I know how you feel! Never give in, never give up, and keep pressing towards the Lord. Stay plugged into His WORD. I have made it a priority before I even get up. I need Him constantly. There is also power in speaking the WORD of God.

I am giving you tips that have helped me tremendously. I still have difficult times and days, but I am getting through with the Lord. No matter how long it takes, God loves you and He has a good plan for you. He can use our experiences and turn them into something that will glorify Him.

No matter what thoughts attack your mind, say "I am going to live deeper". Get more plugged into God. You can do this my friend!!! You can! It is not easy, but we serve a God who can do the impossible... NOTHING is impossible for Him.

I am praying for you! Please message me anytime!

We serve such a loving and compassionate God. Try studying Jesus' character. I am reading through Luke and it has been beautiful!

You are not alone, press forward to the goal.

1 John 3:20
New International Version
If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.

Romans 8:37

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.

1 Peter 4:11
Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.But rejoice insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed.

Upvote 0

1am3laine

Oct 9, 2017
Detroit
Visit site
✟68,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Many people experience Scrupulosity even intrusive thoughts against the Holy Spirit. ( matthew 12:31-32 , mark 3:28-30 , Luke 12:8-10 )

The thoughts are satan rising up imaginations that go against the knowledge of Christ that you need to cast down in JESUS name. ( 2 corinthians 10:5 )

Read Psalms 18 4 times a day out aloud and that will strengthen you because blasphemous thoughts can drain your energy.

When you sleep you should put on Christian music to calm the mind down.
With MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF PRAYER, FASTING, and getting hands laid on you by Holy Spirit people the thoughts do subside and go away. ( Mark 16:17-18 )

The Secrets of The Gospel: How to overcome fear of Matt 12:31-32! <--- this link can help

Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you very much for your reply, and I just want you to know how much I appreciate your reply and you have given me great information. It can be really hard but I know that Jesus Christ is my personal Lord and Savior and my hope is in Jesus. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Upvote 0