• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I need strength to keep running this race

Richie$

Mar 2, 2022
South Carolina
✟11,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, all.

I would appreciate it if you would pray for me to have the strength to keep running this race of faith. I have been struggling with anxieties and depression, and I have been battling with thoughts like "I'm not doing enough to advance the kingdom of God" and "I need to share my faith more".

I'm a very quiet and reserved person, but when I'm out in the world, I do my best to be salt and light to the world. I do my best to treat everyone I meet kindly and respectfully, and I avoid using foul language and speaking badly about others. I also attend church each week and help on their sound team. I'm also trying to do more good things with my money like tithing regularly and giving to charities, but lately I have been battling with thoughts and feelings of inadequacy.

But, I believe that God loves me and is pleased with me. I just felt the need to get these thoughts out of my head and share them here.

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Christianity isn’t about what we do as much as what Christ has already done. This world is fallen and life will have its struggles best to be yoked with Christ. :pray:

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟417,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like your doing everything right. But don’t take the only thing you are not doing so much of and beat yourself over the head about it. Walk a little, smell the roses, take time for yourself and pray about it. Depression feelings are all too common and sometimes they don’t go away. Take time, battle it out, count your blessings, see if you can finish the race, you need a break, but keep up your responsibilities.

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello, all.

I would appreciate it if you would pray for me to have the strength to keep running this race of faith. I have been struggling with anxieties and depression, and I have been battling with thoughts like "I'm not doing enough to advance the kingdom of God" and "I need to share my faith more".

I'm a very quiet and reserved person, but when I'm out in the world, I do my best to be salt and light to the world. I do my best to treat everyone I meet kindly and respectfully, and I avoid using foul language and speaking badly about others. I also attend church each week and help on their sound team. I'm also trying to do more good things with my money like tithing regularly and giving to charities, but lately I have been battling with thoughts and feelings of inadequacy.

But, I believe that God loves me and is pleased with me. I just felt the need to get these thoughts out of my head and share them here.
Quit looking at yourself in isolation. Or at all, preferably. We die with Christ when we receive Him. All that we were in Adam is interred in the grave. We rise with Christ also, to be new creations in Him.

The truth will set you free. I've been saved 50 years and some days I still struggle with unhelpful thoughts. Answer them with truth!

Find out the incredible inheritance that God has for you in Christ right now. You have the power of Christ, the authority of Christ, the righteousness of Christ and the holiness of Christ. You have His love, joy, peace, self control, faithfulness and everything else that God requires of you. When you see these things you will rejoice and be strong. But not in yourself.

We need to know that the issues we deal with are a hangover from the old life. They are not the real "us" anymore. In the natural, I'm an introvert also. In Christ, I am free. I'm inadequate in myself still (I'm 70) but my sufficiency is Christ! God's salvation is so good that even I can't mess it up! Why? Because it does not depend on me. Lord Jesus finished the work 2,000 years ago. All that remains is for us to learn how to walk in victory already won.

Start confessing Galatians 2:20 and 2 Corinthians 5:17. Colossians 3:3 also. Study Ephesians. It starts off with great declarations of who we are in Christ. The last chapters are the outworking of that. Often, Christians start from the wrong direction. They think that doing the "right thing" will make them spiritual. No, we are spiritual (Romans 8:9). Therefore, in Christ, we have the power to live as God would have us live. Let Jesus be your Lord and your Life. When I finally learned this lesson, life became far easier.

• Agree
Reactions: 1watchman
Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, all.

But, I believe that God loves me and is pleased with me. I just felt the need to get these thoughts out of my head and share them here.[
Hello, all.
We are all inadequate. Thank God for Christ Jesus who is our example to follow in life.

Upvote 0

bmjackson

Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2007
UK
✟293,276.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Stop listening to man and start hearing God. Man says peace peace where there is no peace.

The way to peace is through consenting to the crucifixion of the old man, not buttering him up. Ask God where you need to submit.

• Agree
Reactions: lsume
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been battling with thoughts like "I'm not doing enough to advance the kingdom of God" and "I need to share my faith more".

As others have said, 'Don't listen to inner voices that run you down, don't argue with them just acknowledge them with an ' OK and move on.

Do you talk at work about your weekend, about your church service and what struck you from the sermon? This is one way of starting a conversation about Christianity.

Can you 'give a reason for your faith' ?

Do you read books about Christianity or follow apologetic blogs like coldcasechristianity, wintery knight and reasonablefaith?

Two questions to use.
What do you believe?
What evidence do you have for that?

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reading some of the advice you have garnered with your post is decent advice. The Word given in recommended Scripture is essential. Remember, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. This requires faith because I don’t think we can recall every word. Christ can and if he is with you, he is carrying you and refining you and teaching you.

Matt.4
  1. [4] But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Upvote 0

Richie$

Mar 2, 2022
South Carolina
✟11,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you everyone for the advice and encouraging words.
Today has been a rough day for me dealing with my emotions and thoughts. It feels as though my own mind is attacking me and won't let me relax. But God is good and He still gives me moments of peace and comfort.
I'm going to look into counselors in my area, so please pray that God leads me to a good counselor that will help me learn to manage my thoughts and anxieties.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did not see where you are in a relationship with our Savior: the Lord Jesus. One might be trying to be more religious, but without the Lord Jesus in our daily life as our Savior and 'best Friend', we are left to our own ideas and efforts. Do you read the Gospels in our Holy Bible? Are you "born again" as John 3; John 14; John 17; etc. to hear God speaking to you?
Remember that we can overcome trials and troubles, if we trust the Lord Jesus and talk with Him daily about our troubles and needs; for HE CARES! Over many years walking and talking with my Lord, I have found peace in trials and blessings, care, and assurance. Keep looking up, and talking with our Savior: our Lord Jesus! He never fails a real "child of God".

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Richie$

Mar 2, 2022
South Carolina
✟11,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did not see where you are in a relationship with our Savior: the Lord Jesus. One might be trying to be more religious, but without the Lord Jesus in our daily life as our Savior and 'best Friend', we are left to our own ideas and efforts. Do you read the Gospels in our Holy Bible? Are you "born again" as John 3; John 14; John 17; etc. to hear God speaking to you?
Remember that we can overcome trials and troubles, if we trust the Lord Jesus and talk with Him daily about our troubles and needs; for HE CARES! Over many years walking and talking with my Lord, I have found peace in trials and blessings, care, and assurance. Keep looking up, and talking with our Savior: our Lord Jesus! He never fails a real "child of God".

Yes, I am a born again Christian. I believe Jesus is the Son of God. I believe Jesus died on the cross for my sins. I believe Jesus rose from the dead and now sits at the right hand of the Father. And I believe Jesus is coming back again to take us out of this world and to be in heaven with him.
I read the Bible and Bible devotionals every day, and I'm working on focusing and directing my thoughts on God and His Word. He's helping shed light on areas of my life and thoughts that need to be worked on or given to Him. I still struggle with anxieties and doubts at times, but I'm glad that God is patient and understanding. No matter how many times I mess up or turn away from Him, I'm glad that He will always welcome me back with open arms.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is so good to hear, friend! Let me also suggest you visit the sound website at Biblecounsel.net on the Internet, where help is available for all manner of ministry; and how to appreciate and walk with our God daily. You might write me personally at the Conversation Page herein if you wish to chat about such things --not that I know everything, but know of some excellent Bible sources we can profit from. -1watchman

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you everyone for the advice and encouraging words.
Today has been a rough day for me dealing with my emotions and thoughts. It feels as though my own mind is attacking me and won't let me relax. But God is good and He still gives me moments of peace and comfort.
I'm going to look into counselors in my area, so please pray that God leads me to a good counselor that will help me learn to manage my thoughts and anxieties.

Well, I would suggest you not seek a 'worldly counselor', but a "born again" Christian. I would personally like to chat with you, having been a family and mental health counselor for many years in my early years --I am an 'oldie' now.

Upvote 0