• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I need some help in getting over my depression

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey everyone. I got married on December 27, 2021 and ever since then, my depression has been worse. It is mostly because of fears concerning my spouse which I would rather not get in to here. It is also because of my health and my struggle with my weight.

Anyway, I am on antidepressant medication but I am not in counseling. I have had bad experiences with counseling in the past and so I am very reluctant to go back.

So anyway, I would appreciate any encouragement or especially prayers that you can offer me to help me get over this rough patch in my life. Thank you in advance.

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you bringing all your fears to Jesus? It is best to bring your fears about your husband to Jesus so His love can cast out the fear and comfort you the fearful one.

Building a new marriage on fears and insecurities is not the best foundation, building on faith, love and hope does make for good marriages.

i understand that you have had bad experiences with counselling but please let that not stand in the way in finding good counselling. i had bad counselling and was forced to stop with that person, but i did find good counselling in the end and was greatly helped with my issues.

It is best to read lots of reviews on a counsellor that is usually the safest way finding a good one.

:hug:

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hey everyone. I got married on December 27, 2021 and ever since then, my depression has been worse. It is mostly because of fears concerning my spouse which I would rather not get in to here. It is also because of my health and my struggle with my weight.

Anyway, I am on antidepressant medication but I am not in counseling. I have had bad experiences with counseling in the past and so I am very reluctant to go back.

So anyway, I would appreciate any encouragement or especially prayers that you can offer me to help me get over this rough patch in my life. Thank you in advance.
A good counselor is a treasure. But there are plenty that just are not a good fit. Keep looking for a good fit.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I fought moderately serious situational depression 4-5 times in my life, but have been free of it now for 25+ years. There are numerous methods to deal with depression. What works for one person may not work for another. Some of the more popular ways to fight depression are: (1) exercise (2) getting plenty of rest (but I had trouble with this when when I was depressed) (3) Concentrate on a positive goal or hobby in your life that helps one to forget your troubles, even if for a while. (4) Finding ways to help others in need, be it doing some volunteer work or donating to worthy charities, etc. (5) The right diet and/or depression medication may be needed, depending upon one's circumstances.

I would just close by saying that depression is a very common ailment and probably 50% of the population experiences it, at least once during their lifetime. I pray that you can find the right method(s) to help you deal with your depression. I can certainly vouch for it being a terrible thing to have to fight. Since depression tends to feed upon itself, I believe that my #3 above is very important and it is what finally helped lift me out of my depression. God bless and take care.

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you bringing all your fears to Jesus? It is best to bring your fears about your husband to Jesus so His love can cast out the fear and comfort you the fearful one.

Building a new marriage on fears and insecurities is not the best foundation, building on faith, love and hope does make for good marriages.

i understand that you have had bad experiences with counselling but please let that not stand in the way in finding good counselling. i had bad counselling and was forced to stop with that person, but i did find good counselling in the end and was greatly helped with my issues.

It is best to read lots of reviews on a counsellor that is usually the safest way finding a good one.

:hug:

Yeah, I have told God about my fears numerous times and I pray for my husband every day but it does nothing to alleviate my fears.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I have told God about my fears numerous times and I pray for my husband every day but it does nothing to alleviate my fears.

It is good that you share your fearful times with God now don't only tell Him about your fears, leave your fears with Him and take His peaceful love back into your heart again. When you look at your husband then you see problems, these trigger your fears, so place your trust in Jesus then you have nothing to fear for He will look after you regardless what happens between you and your husband.

Understand that your fears lie about the truth, that is why they upset you so much, but God's love puts things in perspective. Trust Jesus with your husband sins, weaknesses and shortcomings, like you do your own, and do your best to help Jesus loving your husband into the faith of all ages.

Peace

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

This helped me so much!

• Informative
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey everyone. Thank you very much for your prayers, tips, and advice. Anyway, I went to see my pastor yesterday and I went to Confession and received the sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick for my depression. I am now feeling much better. If you would please pray for me that I would continue to feel better, I would really appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you would please pray for me that I would continue to feel better, I would really appreciate it.

i pray that the love of Christ surrounds you and His truth teaches you the right way to go.

His love is better than life, for He delivers you from anxious times and from every other peril that might befall you.

Do always place your faith in Jesus, when you are facing hard times in particular.

Peace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey everyone. I am continuing to feel mostly better but I have been slightly depressed lately.

Good to hear the heavy depression isn't there and praying that you will find comfort in God's love dealing with what depression is left.

Give Jesus your bad life and accept His good life back in return.

Psalms 34
I will extol the Lord at all times;
his praise will always be on my lips.
I will glory in the Lord;
let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
Glorify the Lord with me;
let us exalt his name together.

I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant;
their faces are never covered with shame.
This poor man called, and the Lord heard him;
he saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them.

Taste and see that the Lord is good;
blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
Fear the Lord, you his holy people,
for those who fear him lack nothing.
The lions may grow weak and hungry,
but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
Come, my children, listen to me;
I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Whoever of you loves life
and desires to see many good days,
keep your tongue from evil
and your lips from telling lies.
Turn from evil and do good;
seek peace and pursue it.

The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
and his ears are attentive to their cry;
but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil,
to blot out their name from the earth.

The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them;
he delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

The righteous person may have many troubles,
but the Lord delivers him from them all;
he protects all his bones,
not one of them will be broken.

Evil will slay the wicked;
the foes of the righteous will be condemned.
The Lord will rescue his servants;
no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey everyone. Thank you so much for your prayers. Things with my husband are beginning to get a lot better now. I had a talk with my priest about something which was causing conflict between my husband and me and it turns out, I was wrong on the issue and my husband was right. This solved a major issue between us.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey everyone. Thank you so much for your prayers. Things with my husband are beginning to get a lot better now.

Good to hear. i hope and pray that you will stay out of depression now that things have improved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good to hear. i hope and pray that you will stay out of depression now that things have improved.

Thank you. Unfortunately, I am feeling depressed today.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am feeling depressed today.

Bring it all to The Lord dear suffering sister. Especially your times of inability. Ask Jesus for ability to go on. People with a depressive illness will always have times they must struggle with depression, but faith in God's love makes it much more bearable than otherwise.

i preach just as much to myself, as i encourage you to look at Jesus during difficult times, not ourselves. Honest depression looses its teeth when God's love dwells in us and with us. And Jesus has so many techniques to battle depressive thoughts and feelings. Practising faith in God's love is placed at the core of it.

Praying you will find safety in Jesus.

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0