I need some advice.. Taking communion at a Catholic Church...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikti

Jul 9, 2015
Australia
✟15,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So I was born, baptised, raised Catholic and have experience receiving communion in Catholic Churches. In my teens to only 3years ago I was a staunch atheist turned non-denom Protestant/Christian who didn't commune. So basically I haven't communed for almost 7 years... My mum wants to go to catholic mass for Christmas which is understandable, considering she is catholic after all. But I was wondering whether I should or shouldn't take the Eucharist? I have been DEEPLY yearning to commune for 3 years and i have very fond, powerful memories as a child of a lot of spiritual growth and protection after communion and tbh I miss it so much, I remember it always being a very powerful, healing and humbling thing for me. My dilemma is that I don't think that the Catholic Church is the fullness of the faith, so I feel bad for communing as a catholic when my beliefs are not catholic per Se. If I've heard correctly I'm pretty sure that the Orthodox Church recognises catholic communion as valid right? So it's not (to my mind) an issue whether it's the actual body and blood of Christ, but rather, whether I'm kinda playing for both teams, when I really only go for one?

The thing is that although I am certain at this point orthodoxy is for me, I have to be fair to myself and God before I make a big decision such as joining the church, and I really need to get some experience in an Orthodox Church first. So I don't see myself converting in the immediate future, I really just want to take my time and not rush into it. Build up relationships within a Church and a priest, have no or minimal doubts in my mind before I go for it. But then this means I won't be communing anytime soon :(

What do you guys think? I really miss communion, technically I'm still catholic (baptism wise) and I personally do believe that Gods presence is in the Eucharist of Catholics as a grace for individual Catholics.

Last edited:

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If you are Orthodox, you cannot do it. If you're not Orthodox, the answer may be different. But the Catholic opinion here would be relevant. For instance, are you in a "state of grace" and a Catholic in good standing? If you haven't been around the Catholic church for 3 years, almost certainly not.

Reactions: Nikti
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I can't and won't advise what you should do but this , as a Catholic I will say - before you go to Communion again , you have been away from it for so long you really should go to Confession .

I would also ask you to consider this statement you have just made

My dilemma is that I don't think that the Catholic Church is the fullness of the faith, so I feel bad for communing as a catholic when my beliefs are not catholic per Se.

Reactions: ZaidaBoBaida
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
At the time that I became a catechumen in the Orthodox Church, I stopped taking communion at my family's church. I knew that the Orthodox Church was my end goal, and I didn't feel like I could commune in good conscience since I no longer was in communion with my family's church. That said, I did take communion at my parents' church before I was sure that Orthodoxy was for me. My family though was not from a liturgical church and did not have the same view of the Eucharist that the Catholic Church holds. I agree with talking to the priest first, and also deciding whether you believe that you are in communion with the Catholic Church. In my opinion - that is a part of communion.

Just my 2 cents.

I understand though the desire to partake of communion when you are moving towards Orthodoxy but cannot partake since you are not chrismated! It was an amazing feeling the first time I could partake of the Eucharist in the Orthodox Church!

Upvote 0

Nikti

Jul 9, 2015
Australia
✟15,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
look at this and think very carefully at what you have said

so I feel bad for communing as a catholic when my beliefs are not catholic per Se.
Mmmm.... I see.
It's not right nor respectful, I was deluding myself a bit.

I guess as All4Christ said, I have a huge desire to commune even though I'm not ready or mature enough yet to make a decision on which church, so I'm stuck at the moment. I guess I tried to make myself a loophole since I genuinely believe the Eucharist in Catholicism is truly the Blood and Body, but it's not right if I'm not in communion with the church's teachings as a whole.

Nonetheless, I will speak to the priest in any case just to get further advice about this and I do really want to be fair about my ultimate decision. Whether to go to orthodoxy or reconcile with the Catholic Church- they are my only choices.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I mean, if you want to do the Catholic thing, you should talk to a priest and you probably have to confess something given you've been away for so long. I'm not qualified to give advice but a priest would know quite well whether you can do this or not.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
So I was born, baptised, raised Catholic and have experience receiving communion in Catholic Churches. In my teens to only 3years ago I was a staunch atheist turned non-denom Protestant/Christian who didn't commune. So basically I haven't communed for almost 7 years... My mum wants to go to catholic mass for Christmas which is understandable, considering she is catholic after all. But I was wondering whether I should or shouldn't take the Eucharist? I have been DEEPLY yearning to commune for 3 years and i have very fond, powerful memories as a child of a lot of spiritual growth and protection after communion and tbh I miss it so much, I remember it always being a very powerful, healing and humbling thing for me. My dilemma is that I don't think that the Catholic Church is the fullness of the faith, so I feel bad for communing as a catholic when my beliefs are not catholic per Se. If I've heard correctly I'm pretty sure that the Orthodox Church recognises catholic communion as valid right? So it's not (to my mind) an issue whether it's the actual body and blood of Christ, but rather, whether I'm kinda playing for both teams, when I really only go for one?

The thing is that although I am certain at this point orthodoxy is for me, I have to be fair to myself and God before I make a big decision such as joining the church, and I really need to get some experience in an Orthodox Church first. So I don't see myself converting in the immediate future, I really just want to take my time and not rush into it. Build up relationships within a Church and a priest, have no or minimal doubts in my mind before I go for it. But then this means I won't be communing anytime soon :(

What do you guys think? I really miss communion, technically I'm still catholic (baptism wise) and I personally do believe that Gods presence is in the Eucharist of Catholics as a grace for individual Catholics.
As a non-denominational member we take communion about 4 times a year. Prior to communion the pastor always admonishes us that before we take the bread and "wine" to study ourselves in our relationship with God....where are we with our walk with Him?...where is He in our lives?....and only then if you are satisfied with your answer to take communion. Maybe that is something you should ask of yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would agree with gzt that if you should contact a Roman priest, and talk to him. if you are leaning toward Orthodoxy, I would refrain from it.

If I've heard correctly I'm pretty sure that the Orthodox Church recognises catholic communion as valid right?

no we do not. the only place where we know the Eucharist is, is inside the Orthodox Church. God can do whatever He wants outside of the Church, but since Rome is not in the Church anymore we cannot accept their communion.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I will share my experience, but NOT in a way I'm saying, "you should do this."

While I was searching out which church to join, I visited an Anglican parish. In speaking with the rector/priest - I had a really difficult time getting straight answers from him! - he did determine that he would allow me to receive the Eucharist in his parish, though I had never been Anglican. I did receive the Eucharist there. It was my initial plan (showing how foolish I still was, IMO) to continue to visit that parish and receive communion during my catechumenate when I decided soon after that I wanted to pursue Orthodoxy. However, that is not what happened. Once I had a glimmer of understanding of what it means to receive Holy Communion - that one is in agreement (communion!) with those one receives with, I changed my mind and refrained. However, as long as I was searching, I do think it was appropriate. (And Anglicanism apparently has "room for" a great variety of beliefs on SOME topics, it is not as structured as I would have liked.)

Anyway - this is a matter for information. I did not wish to receive any longer with Evangelical Protestants who did not believe it was the Blood and Body in any sense. And Catholic, Lutheran, and Orthodox require full membership within their body.

As All4Christ said - it was simply amazing to finally receive the Eucharist in an Orthodox Church, and well worth the wait.

One other thing that is a possibility. I have spoken to others who felt near-despair at having to wait so long for the Eucharist while a catechumen. They talked to their priest, and he had a way of blessing them specially with the chalice that served them well in the meantime. I don't know more about it than that, but you might talk to your priest if you become a catechumen.

Upvote 0

BrRichSFO

Aug 29, 2006
✟16,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Wanting to receive Holy Communion is God calling you back to a relationship with Him.
There are many different things in your original post. Your mother wanting to attend Christmas Mass is a separate issue.
Your confusion is normal. Most if not all Christians go through a process of of conversion, there is a transition between a childhood faith and an adult faith. A person must continue to seek a closer relationship with Christ every day, as an adult that involves daily prayer, weekly Mass and reception of the Sacraments, study of the Faith by reading the Bible (the weekly Scriptures for Mass, before Sunday), the Catechism in some form, and maybe spiritual reading of the writings of saints or Doctors of the Church.

If you have not been to Sunday Mass on a regular basis for some time then it is correct you must speak with one of the priests about returning to the Faith which would also include Confession. Advent is a good time to do this, to "Come home for Christmas".

Upvote 0

Nikti

Jul 9, 2015
Australia
✟15,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thankyou for sharing Kylissa :)
Once I had a glimmer of understanding of what it means to receive Holy Communion - that one is in agreement (communion!) with those one receives with, I changed my mind and refrained.

After posting and seeing the responses I realise that it didn't REALLY occur to me before what communing actually is, in terms of a person's relationship with the church they receive the Eucharist from. Which prompts to me to really study the topic now and add it to the long list of topics to find books for.

ArmyMatt- my bad, I misunderstood.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thankyou for sharing Kylissa :)

After posting and seeing the responses I realise that it didn't REALLY occur to me before what communing actually is, in terms of a person's relationship with the church they receive the Eucharist from. Which prompts to me to really study the topic now and add it to the long list of topics to find books for.

ArmyMatt- my bad, I misunderstood.

I don't think you should feel badly.

I was never really taught that before Orthodoxy (though the Lutheran - priest? - I spoke with surely had this understanding as well). There were many things I was never properly taught. And indeed, I kind of doubt my previous fellowships would see it this way. Some groups clearly do not - Methodists for example offer communion to anyone who wishes to receive, even if they are not believers at all in any sense of the word.

But feeling the draw to closer communion with God, and investigating these questions, is clearly a good thing. :)

God be with you. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nikti

Jul 9, 2015
Australia
✟15,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As a non-denominational member we take communion about 4 times a year. Prior to communion the pastor always admonishes us that before we take the bread and "wine" to study ourselves in our relationship with God....where are we with our walk with Him?...where is He in our lives?....and only then if you are satisfied with your answer to take communion. Maybe that is something you should ask of yourself.

If you don't mind me asking how does communing 4 times a year work? Is it held to be the Body and Blood or symbolic? I belonged to a non-denom church and they used bread or crackers and grape juice every week but it wasn't taken like communion or as the Eucharist in liturgical churches. It was more like a symbolic/remembrance thing.

Upvote 0

Nikti

Jul 9, 2015
Australia
✟15,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thankyou sis Kylissa :)
The feeling of wanting to be close to God has been so intense the last year, even though I am the type of person prone to complacency and outright laziness, God is constantly on my mind, even in the midst of being in a bad place spiritually. So I know I'm driven and yearning to finding His Church, but I'm still naive about everything with so much to learn before a decision is made. But the anticipation and desire to be in a church is killing me though! Patience is a virtue that I struggle a lot with, but I know God is always willing to help, the real issue is with my participation which quite frankly is more passive in reality and doesn't reflect the fervency of my mind. I feel a bit paralysed at times :(

God be with you too.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Nikti

I'm going to say something which you may find a little uncomfortable - and indeed BrRich will possibly disagree very strongly with me.

At this point in time you have made some interesting statements

1) so I feel bad for communing as a catholic when my beliefs are not catholic per Se.

2) The thing is that although I am certain at this point orthodoxy is for me

At this point in time you are not a Catholic 'in good standing' with the Church as you admit your beliefs are not Catholic per se. Neither are you Orthodox. Can you say in all honesty if you are in communion with either Church ?

At this point you need to start attending church regularly - and my feeling from what you have said is that you need to experience Liturgical Services in Orthodoxy - Vespers [ if that's possible ] Divine Liturgy and so on.

It's time to really talk with an Orthodox priest and put questions to him and listen to his answers.

Then you need to think and talk some more , and think again and this is even more necessary - you need to listen to God - He is calling you and if you ask He will guide you to where you should be.

My prayers are with you :crosseo:

Upvote 0

Nikti

Jul 9, 2015
Australia
✟15,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Nikti

I'm going to say something which you may find a little uncomfortable - and indeed BrRich will possibly disagree very strongly with me.

At this point in time you have made some interesting statements

1) so I feel bad for communing as a catholic when my beliefs are not catholic per Se.

2) The thing is that although I am certain at this point orthodoxy is for me

At this point in time you are not a Catholic 'in good standing' with the Church as you admit your beliefs are not Catholic per se. Neither are you Orthodox. Can you say in all honesty if you are in communion with either Church ?

At this point you need to start attending church regularly - and my feeling from what you have said is that you need to experience Liturgical Services in Orthodoxy - Vespers [ if that's possible ] Divine Liturgy and so on.

It's time to really talk with an Orthodox priest and put questions to him and listen to his answers.

Then you need to think and talk some more , and think again and this is even more necessary - you need to listen to God - He is calling you and if you ask He will guide you to where you should be.

My prayers are with you :crosseo:

Thankyou for your honesty and response Anhelyna, you're pretty spot on and I know it too.

I'm not in communion with any of these churches. And I agree I really need to speak with an orthodox priest and have everything answered and attend services.

I have visited and spoken to an orthodox priest this year, the vesper services were in Greek and though I couldn't understand anything I loved it, I looked up the vespers they used and read along in English but of course it's not the same especially when you're still in the process of discovery. I spoke to the priest of that church and he was nice enough to give sis and I a few hours after weekday vesper services once, I did a lot of research before visiting and he answered a lot of questions I had relating to my initial Protestant reservations (icons, veneration, the Theotokos, sola scriptura, communion being actual Body and Blood, differences with Catholicism), he even showed us the Eucharist in the tabernacle that had been preserved for over a year as proof, (I joked and said I didn't believe him when he told me the Eucharist was preserved for that long and he opened up the church at 10pm to show sis and I! - we were outside the altar area of course but we saw it).

Unfortunately, i think with the size of the church and being the one of the only English speaking priest there, he was very busy and hard to contact and I never got a response to my requests for a real sit down. I was attending youth groups sporadically as well at this church but that kinda dissipated being the only 21 yr old around high school kids and the adult group was for 30upwards. I also had a panic attack the first time I attended DL... I stayed for the first hour but just before communion I had to get out and I broke down in my car... There were other little issues too that discouraged me in that particular church (nothing big or anything to do with doctrine just really bad social anxiety and feeling alienated in the midst of a lot Greeks).

Unfortunately it kinda stalled everything for a while in terms of attending and made me even more anxious and slightly intimidated. However, it also confirmed for me a lot of things about orthodoxy that I liked and seeing the preserved Eucharist really got to me.

I found out through the forum that there is actually a monastery with a church in my area and its Russian. I emailed the Heiromonk there but no response yet. To be really honest, I'm actually really anxious and I have some fears... I'm nervous that I won't fit in, I'm nervous about the practices (not knowing when to cross, venerating icons, and I'm guessing in a Russian monastery church- prostrating, or whether as a non-orthodox I'll get kicked out during communion as I've heard happens at monasteries sometimes, etc), I'm nervous that I'll feel isolated again, and ultimately I'm scared of feeling disappointed, as I have found in the past with other churches. I know it's a poor excuse in light of the bigger picture but it's a real, physical anxiety for me. As I'm sure you can tell from my posts, I suffer from anxiety, but given this really is high stakes for me (wanting to find the Church and start getting healing) it's heightened, not to mention the spiritual warfare has been all too real the last few months.. I don't know what I'll do if orthodoxy doesn't work out for me, or if Catholicism doesn't work out for me. It's a frightening thought. But hey, struggle bears fruit eventually.... Or that's the hope at least.

But yes, I agree with you, I have to talk to a priest and attend services despite my anxieties. And do a lot of more thinking and researching. I just have to trust that God won't leave me high and dry and if the Orthodox Church is what I've been searching for I'll get there eventually.

Upvote 0

Nikti

Jul 9, 2015
Australia
✟15,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Also Thankyou for your prayers I truly appreciate them and I need them.

I ask God for guidance a lot on where He wants me. And while I have been churchless the only thing that grounds me is my prayer rule when I keep it up. I'm acutely aware of how much I need God in my life and the way He has changed my life from when I stopped believing to the events that brought me closer to Him. All the miracles and answered prayers He has given me leaves no doubt in my mind about Christianity being the truth. But the hardest struggle is against myself, and I'm aware that I haven't done as much as I can or worked on the internal issues He has shown me, and I don't know.. I feel paralysed at times. I can't describe it.

Sorry I kinda just spilt out everything here.. I hope you don't mind.

My prayers for you too x

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.