Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He doesn't have a workplace claim. He's an at will employee without a written contract. No employment law attorney would take his case.

I got a cold call once from some guy who wanted to sue Wal-Mart because he got fired. He claimed it was discriminatory. He said they fired him because he was black, though they told him it was because he dropped a tv. I asked him if he dropped the tv and he said he did. I told him he had no case, Wal-Mart can fire you for dropping merch. Point being, besides general amusement, is that at will employees don't have any recourse for anything other than actual discrimination and failure to pay wages.
And working someone outside of their job description is failing to pay wages

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
And working someone outside of their job description is failing to pay wages
Not under the law. When you're an at will employee you agree to work for x wages. What they have you do is up to the enployer. People get shifted around in terms of job title or task all the time, it doesn't mean their wage increases.

Getting back to the original post, it really comes down to serving Christ while working. we obey our employers because that is who God has put in authority over us. Even if we don't like some of the things they do, we believers need to put our head down, work hard and not complain for Christ's sake.

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not under the law. When you're an at will employee you agree to work for x wages. What they have you do is up to the enployer. People get shifted around in terms of job title or task all the time, it doesn't mean their wage increases.

Getting back to the original post, it really comes down to serving Christ while working. we obey our employers because that is who God has put in authority over us. Even if we don't like some of the things they do, we believers need to put our head down, work hard and not complain for Christ's sake.

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you have a contract you most likely have a job description. If they work you outside your job description on a regular basis, that can be actionable. I've seen it happen.

And with that, I'll wish you the best and move on

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single

So, do you think when they made my partner and I do a transport for a hospice patient where they sent us into Hurricane Dorian last week, we should have kept our mouth shut and not complained about putting our lives in danger?

Two other EMS companies refused to send their employees on that transport, but our company puts money ahead of safety. So, I was wrong for speaking up on my and my partner's behalf? Even after we were lied to about the conditions so that we would do the transport?

Would you have just stayed quiet for Christ's sake?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I applied for the position but because I'm not a "yes" man and my numbers are somewhat low I didn't get it. Which I am actually ok with, but that's not the issue.
What about not being a "yes" man did they cite as problematic? Is it failure to enforce certain policies? Or do they have a problem with your feedback when you express a concern? You don't necessarily have to answer here, but unpacking their expressed excuse can result in your own growth - which you can then point to after giving it a few weeks or months, so that can make you look better on paper to either them, or a new employer. Still look for a new job, but don't leave an opportunity to grow from this on the table.

The key I think is to look at it the way a good district manager would, if a good district manager gave you the same "no" with the same reasons. Take away any and all reasons a good manager would say no, and you have nothing but the dysfunction and incompetence of higher management.

I've really drawn a line in the sand here, now I have a week to change my mind, but really should I? I have applied to all sorts of jobs. I am SICK of sales! Have some experience doing office work, but no takers thus far. I know I can't afford to get fired or lose the position, but what recourse do I have?
Definitely keep looking and get out of there when you get a new job.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
I would tell them I will work as the manager and get paid as one till you find a replacement manager then you can restore me back to assistant manager with status and pay thereof. It is one thing to fill in on occasion but if you are put in charge for longer than a few weeks or a few pay periods then you are being cheated if you are being held responsible for all the duties of the manager and have no assistant manager to help you like he had. You could tell them that you are working 2 jobs now.... assistant manager AND manager because there is only one person to do BOTH jobs. I would also ask if someone can be temporarily promoted to assistant manager to help you till a replacement manager is hired. If the district manager doesn't go for this perhaps you need to go up the ladder higher. Be prepared however that you could lose your job or even be demoted if they have jerks in these positions above you.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,892.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You could tell them that you are working 2 jobs now.... assistant manager AND manager because there is only one person to do BOTH jobs.
Then they might realize they don't need two and get rid of the manager position.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Then they might realize they don't need two and get rid of the manager position.
Then he will get the manager position still and pay as I doubt people who ask to see the manager will be impressed if they are told we don't have a manager.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums