Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Punt the ball. Tell them to go take a hike. BUT BEFORE you do, pray about it. Always pray.
OP, I would suggest that if you punt the ball, find another job first. And don't tell them to take a hike....never burn your bridges.

• Agree
Reactions: Endeavourer
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Look, the present managers in most US companies are the worst set of managers I have ever seen. Its all about money, and they have no respect for dignity. You are getting kicked around like a soccer ball.

Why? Because this guy who is controlling you is playing to a playbook, and the playbook is written with scummy rules.

Clear?

Punt the ball. Tell them to go take a hike. BUT BEFORE you do, pray about it. Always pray.

Blessings!
Shouldn't he have another job first ???

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So I'm an assistant manager with a wireless carrier, we have not had an actual store manager for 6 weeks (august 1). My district manager has known since mid-june they needed a replacement. I applied for the position but because I'm not a "yes" man and my numbers are somewhat low I didn't get it. Which I am actually ok with, but that's not the issue.

My leadership is constantly asking me to do tasks and take on responsibilities that are found only on the store manager's responsibility list, as found in the company's HR site. Now, after having some fill ins come out here to the store, which is an hour away from the nearest location, apparently they are out of fillins so next Tuesday they have told me I'm doing it.

Thus my dilemma. I am strictly about getting paid to do a job. I have filled in plenty of times before with no fuss, because I was trying to show I could do the job. Now that I applied for the job and was turned down, its a different story. How do you expect me to do a job that you said I wasn't able to do by denying my application?

I've really drawn a line in the sand here, now I have a week to change my mind, but really should I? I have applied to all sorts of jobs. I am SICK of sales! Have some experience doing office work, but no takers thus far. I know I can't afford to get fired or lose the position, but what recourse do I have?

Why can't these upper managers just hire someone to take the position? I truly am ok not having the spot, I would love to have been promoted but it didn't happen, ok. But don't then ask me to do the job just not pay me for it. Such disrespect. Am I just being extreme?

Just do the work and suck it up. You don't want to make waves or draw lines, that's a way to get fired.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My leadership is constantly asking me to do tasks and take on responsibilities that are found only on the store manager's responsibility list, as found in the company's HR site. Now, after having some fill ins come out here to the store, which is an hour away from the nearest location, apparently they are out of fillins so next Tuesday they have told me I'm doing it.

Now that I applied for the job and was turned down, its a different story. How do you expect me to do a job that you said I wasn't able to do by denying my application?

My advice would be to do the job eagerly, and as often as they want you to do it, and do the best job you can while doing it. Go the extra mile whenever possible. You'll be able to gain valuable experience for your resume and have a conversant expertise to use other interviews. View it as paid training for your next job. They're giving you an opportunity to put managerial skills on your resume so you can move on to better jobs at other companies.

Yay for you!! Too bad for them.

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It would be nice to have another job, yes. And that was why I advised the OP to pray first. BUt if they are outting him in an ugly situation, then it just means they want to take advantage. Things will go downhill.

A good mgr would never have done things in this way in the first pkace.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, having worked in the wireless retail business before, I know it’s an industry with more Chiefs than Indians and a lot of companies are consolidating positions. Makes sense since it was a growth industry, but now it’s a stable industry experiencing stagnation. It seems to me that they are consolidating positions. I mean, you are an assistant manager, you have a manager position, but you still have a direct supervisor that you spoke to for awhile. That’s more chiefs than is needed.

As an assistant manager, helping the manager is your primary function. Taking on some of those roles while the position is open/done away with only makes sense. I get that you are working for paychecks and not a career making an increased workload without increased pay a frustration... But at the same time, with low numbers, not being a team player, actively seeking other employment, and having been passed over for the position, you are not going to be treated as promotable. You’re going to be treated as a clock puncher who is doing not super awesome (aka “has room to grow”) and thus needs to be given more to do because they will not take the initiative to do it without being asked because he feels he shouldn’t have to.

If you’re hoping to get a raise for your increased workload, you will have to right your employment ship and set yourself apart. That will mean working below what you perceive is your worth is to prove you are an employee worth investing in. After a few months of solid performance and better numbers, you can revisit the discussion.

• Informative
Reactions: Brian Mcnamee
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wonder who made up that rule in the first place. Probably someone in the 1 % anxious to preserve the system
How about somebody living paycheck to paycheck, ... with a mortgage to pay, children to feed and clothe, etc. ...

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
So I'm an assistant manager with a wireless carrier, we have not had an actual store manager for 6 weeks (august 1). My district manager has known since mid-june they needed a replacement. I applied for the position but because I'm not a "yes" man and my numbers are somewhat low I didn't get it. Which I am actually ok with, but that's not the issue.

Thus my dilemma. I am strictly about getting paid to do a job. I have filled in plenty of times before with no fuss, because I was trying to show I could do the job. Now that I applied for the job and was turned down, its a different story. How do you expect me to do a job that you said I wasn't able to do by denying my application?

I've really drawn a line in the sand here, now I have a week to change my mind, but really should I? I have applied to all sorts of jobs. I am SICK of sales! Have some experience doing office work, but no takers thus far. I know I can't afford to get fired or lose the position, but what recourse do I have?

Why can't these upper managers just hire someone to take the position? I truly am ok not having the spot, I would love to have been promoted but it didn't happen, ok. But don't then ask me to do the job just not pay me for it. Such disrespect. Am I just being extreme?

Really good question. The business world is not noted for ethical treatment of employees. I would ask the Lord to show you what to do. I'm retired now. I left my last position because of the opposite treatment. I became a glorified data entry clerk, which would be OK except I'm not very good at it. I prayed about resigning and felt at peace. You need to check out your attitudes over some issues. Are you seeing pride at work in you? If so, that needs to be dealt with. Perhaps you could remind your bosses that they did not see that you are capable of doing the job that they've demanded that you do. Christians need to maintain a good attitude to whoever they are working for. The Word exhorts us to work as if Lord Jesus was the boss, not just a man. When I saw that in the Bible, I had some attitude correction to do. This may be an attitude test or it may be the Lord telling you that it is time to look for another job. I'll pray for wisdom for you.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I am a union rep so I have seen this tactic a lot. It’s probably intentional, unfortunately. If they can get you to do the work for less pay, there is no hurry to find a new store manager, or need to promote you. However, you do have leverage. If you were to quit suddenly, they would be out two positions. In the current job market, it is easier for you to find a job than it is for them to replace you (in most places in the U.S. right now.)

So I would try to line up another job, then go to the district Mgr and say you are doing the work of a store manager, and if they don’t agree to pay you the higher salary, you are leaving.

Bottom line is the ppl who make the financial decisions don’t care about you or doing the right thing, they care about maximizing profits. Only by threatening to leave are they likely to take you seriously.

Reactions: Emmylouwho
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Fair compensation is what you agree to work for. If you don't like your pay ask for a raise. Otherwise, you're paid what you bargained for.
Hourly employees rarely get to bargain for their wages, unless they are bargaining collectively. People agree all the time to work for unfair wages because industries collude to suppress wages.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

There is a verse in the Bible that says do not despise the days of small things. This is an opportunity for you to demonstrate that you can be a manager and not just an assistant with low numbers. If you balk at this you will certainly be labeled a problem. The fact you are doing management work is a sign you are gaining some trust. If this happens more often they will look at the stores numbers not just yours. This is where you need to say yes be there early and bring donuts and strarbucks for the crew. This is a guy who will stand out. One who is selfless and encourages the others. You have been honest which is a good thing but really I would not want to hire you unless you stepped up your game. Use this as a chance to be humble and sacrifice like Joseph in Potiphar's house then the jail finally to rule all of Egypt he was the same in all places and God gave him favor in all places. Serve your boss as unto the LORD and you will find favor and perhaps get noticed.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

miggles

miggles
May 15, 2004
florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

i'd tell them i'm quitting. then they'd give you the top spot with the pay. otherwise they'd sink.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who made that system?
God ???

1 Thessalonians 4

10b But we urge you, brothers, to excel more and more 11 and to aspire to live quietly, to attend to your own matters, and to work with your own hands, as we instructed you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I would think as the assistant manager this falls within your job description, (to take over when there is no manager available) If the time they are taking on this is distressing to you then ask them what their roadmap ahead looks like for filling this position expressing your concerns of doing the work that you didn't get hired for.

If their answer is not satisfactory then suggest to get hired in an interim capacity so while they are finding someone you are acting in the right position (and the right compensation), then when they find someone you can go back to assistant (but what may actually happen is you just keep the job without an assistant). Business guys are savvy and will try and get away with what they can, but they also respond to savviness and if you can present to them a solution that speaks their language rather than one that feels like more work for them that they already don't want to do. Nothing really changes (except a title and compensation) but you end up relieving the stress from their side and you get the credit for the right job. win-win.

You may find yourself to be the manager without an assistant rather than an assistant without a manager. In the end, it's the same job with the same workload but at least is the right job title.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Be blunt with your boss, if you are not good enough to do the job perminaently why are they asking you to do it unpaid and as a temp.

You will do it for a set period, say a month and if paid the going rate otherwise no way.

If you are thinking of leaving, start looking hard now and don't be afraid to let them know this, start taking any unused leave etc.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like they are betting you won't get a workplace attorney to make them stop taking advantage of you.
He doesn't have a workplace claim. He's an at will employee without a written contract. No employment law attorney would take his case.

I got a cold call once from some guy who wanted to sue Wal-Mart because he got fired. He claimed it was discriminatory. He said they fired him because he was black, though they told him it was because he dropped a tv. I asked him if he dropped the tv and he said he did. I told him he had no case, Wal-Mart can fire you for dropping merch. Point being, besides general amusement, is that at will employees don't have any recourse for anything other than actual discrimination and failure to pay wages.

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
FIRST, PRAY.
Always that.

Ok, next. Here is the litmus test. It is simple, and keep it simple.

Go to your manager. Tell him/her you want to discuss one thing. Always when you talk to mgmt, keep it about one thing.

Say to them, look I want a better position. I applied. You say that I fall short on standards. I need a clear description of where exactly I fall short. And I want an ironclad commitment from you that if I improve and meet these criteria - then I am hired for the job permanently.

You see how simple that is?

NOW. if the mgr says ... OK, we have problems with you in two areas, and here they are. And if you show us that you have overcome these problems, we will hire you.

Thats great ... exactly what you are looking for. The ball is in your court. Fix the problems and climb the ladder. And really, any mgr who is worth their salt should have already had this conversation with you.

NOTICE ... a clear goal of the meeting, a clear response.

BUT if the mgr starts waffling ... "well, you know, the time is just not right, right now. And we like you and all that stuff" ... blah, blah, blah.

THEN you know that they are jacking you around. They want more work, and they want to pay less.

Then ... Your best option is to march with your feet. Find a better company that has real managers.

BTW, the Bible does not tell you to be a doormat. If you are putting in real work hours, and you are not jabbering on the cell phone all day, then the company should respect you as a worker. It is hard to get real workers who are punctual these days.

Again, FIRST, PRAY.

Upvote 0