Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any one care to give me their opinion on which is the best computer for the money (150. Give or take a few) from these refurbished complete setups. No dells please.
If you choose this assignment thank you.
sorry, I don't know how to copy and paste the link but i did bookmark it, lol.
I did a search at Amazon since this is the time to buy so turn on the prime
Refurbished desktop computer complete, etc.
Look for a computer repair shop in your area. They usually have previously owned computers marked down ... and the technician can help you find something that will suit your needs. (For instance, ... I don't think that you really should be concerned with Blu-ray at this stage).

My best computer purchases were mostly second-hand ...

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Not much, nothing very involved. Just a basic computer. My computer got the hamster virus
So I have to use my phone, it is tedious. That's why a used one is fine for me as long as it is running good. I usually get them at the thrift store but no more transportation.
I guess the sale at Amazon is over. Short and sweet:)

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Look for a computer repair shop in your area. They usually have previously owned computers marked down ... and the technician can help you find something that will suit your needs. (For instance, ... I don't think that you really should be concerned with Blu-ray at this stage).

My best computer purchases were mostly second-hand ...
I would agree but Lyft is out of sight expensive lately. I have 6 Blu ray movies that I haven't seen but no player, lol

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Computer prices are up due to the pandemic. I purchased a laptop last year and it was difficult to find something in that price range a month ago while looking for my mother. She spent $150 more for the same setup.

You may find a deal in August when back to school sales begin. I second the recommendation for a repair shop or Microcenter if you have one.

~bella

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If it's general, everyday use and not a specialized purchase (i.e. getting a Raspberry Pi to set up a Pihole) then you will not get a good computer for that cheap. When I say "good computer" I mean something that will meet your expressed needs and give you a smooth experience, without anything fancy that you don't need.

One can save money on refurbished parts, but I don't trust them because they failed on at least one person. Maybe they're fixed, maybe they're not, and if they're not, you have to spend money (again) to replace them anyway.

Used disks - forget it, you don't know what's been on there, and data is actually very hard to destroy to the point that governments or certain thieves won't be able to find it. You don't want to inherit a drive that may have had shady stuff, or even just a really bad virus on it. I've had to delete malware and then hit the free space with a Guttman wipe to stop it from coming back immediately, and that old computer never really ceased to have infection problems.

One can get older, but still solid computer parts - motherboard, CPU, RAM, case, fans - and combine them with a fresh power supply and a fresh SSD, and put a lightweight Linux distribution on it - if one is technical enough and wants to learn the intricacies of such a project. Most people I know of that qualify won't be looking for 9+ year old HP desktops on Amazon, not unless they need it for specific parts to fix another one.

One can get a super-basic, new desktop without a monitor for as little as $350-400. You might want to add a little more for an extended warranty, plus obviously the cost of a monitor if you don't have one. Figure tax, shipping, you might want to budget $500 or thereabouts for the purchase. This is just for a boring old office machine. I don't pay for MS Office or Outlook, I use LibreOffice and Thunderbird for free. I use the free MalwareBytes and Avast Antivirus because I'm confident and careful. I have recommended and implemented paid ESET NOD32 and the premium MalwareBytes on machines that are for less technical people.

I'd say save up the proper amount of money and buy when there's a big sale.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟422,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
to the original poster, you can get a brand new computer from PcsRefurbished.com if you qualify for under $150 with a lot of features. Just see if you meet their criteria.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
to the original poster, you can get a brand new computer from PcsRefurbished.com if you qualify for under $150 with a lot of features. Just see if you meet their criteria.
Thank you, I will check it out

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟422,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
@returntosender,
I use PCs for People all the time. It is a set to your specifications service. They build it and mail it to you. It is very nice.

Upvote 0