Titus 3:4-7
Aug 21, 2016
World
✟22,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So I've been experiencing something that is leaving me feeling quite uncomfortable. Ive been visiting a practitioner with a family member. The family member is the one requiring the practitioner and I am going for support and as an advocate, a second person.

The practitioner is quite good, probably the best I have ever encountered, however I have been finding his personality quite excessive, just in only a handful of appointments. He talks so much about himself and personal stuff. It basically feels like you are with a close friend.

I knew that actually, when we 1st went to him, as his many reviews all expressed that he was like this, and it appears every one of those reviewers enjoy the way he runs his business this way. Of course, he gives excellent service so that is a huge factor as well, obviously.

I guess I am in the minority, in that I don't like his peronality at all!! I think for the fact that it seems to me, intuitively... that he is coming on to me, and testing me to see if I am interested in him.

An example of why I think that, is this: In a previous visit he mentioned his wife and how he would remark how many pretty girls he sees when they are out together. He made this noise with his lips even, a sound that would match him seeing a pretty girl. It sounded to me like a sound a person would make to call their horse, or to get their horse to do some sort of command (if you've watched any Western movies I think you will know what sound I mean ). From there he further went on to say that whenever he does this,his wife just rolls her eyes, and that even his very young son noticed his actions. He described his son as being very aware.. I can't remember more of the details, but that is generally it. In any case, while he was saying this, I started to feel really uncomfortable wondering why he would be sharing this to me and my family member who is also female. I was thinking how disgusting he was, but didn't say anything. As we were leaving that day, he made a joke comparing something, to how slow his wife drives. At that time I gave him a look that showed I didn't approve of his comment.

I had a gf once tell me that generally if men start talking about their wives and criticizing them, its a red flag. It happened to my gf. She was brought into this innocently and started sympathizing with the colleague (in her case) and before you know it, he started hitting on her. In any case, this is something I have never forgotten.

Back to the practitioner.. Yesterday we had our usual appt and we were in a much smaller room. I tried to not speak as much as I didn't want to get drawn into anything personal. I was trying to set boundaries on this man because of the threat I felt with him because hee seemed in general to be very good at manipulating... making up stories ,perhaps, but using things he knew that we were familiar with or liked. It was odd, I cannot explain because I have never encountered a person like this before, specifically a practitioner. Its almost like he is an actor and somehow is part of the treatment. So yesterday, he went through his regular talking a lot of personal stuff. I remember first when he greeted us, he shows his tongue out of his mouth. To me it connotated something sexual, but I cannot be sure. While we were in the treatment room he talked about how some people tell him that he should not mix personal with professional -that they dont mix. He went on to explain that his clients have become his friends, and that it is hard to not be friends with them. He says if you click with someone ,you can't help it. He says it seems to have worked really well for him because he has been invited to many parties, funerals, birthdays, etc. of his clients. I remember when he was talking about that, I was thinking 'yeah, I wish you wouldnt talk so personal..'

Generally, in the handful of sessions we've had with him, I have noticed he looks at me when I am talking in a way that is too personal, too deep. Many times when I talk or answer I will not be looking at him because I am thinking, but I can notice his gaze at me is deeper and kind of odd esp. for a married man. Its what led me to decide not to devuldge any personal information about myself anymore. I mean I am not there for the treatment anyways, it is my family member.

In any case, I have sat down and scanned my brain these past few days to see if there is anything I have done that could have made him be interested in me. I can't really find anything. I come quite serious to the appointments with my family member. I want and ask pertinent questions, so I can see how their condition can become better. I dress 100% appropriately, and as far as I can tell I haven't like giggled and twirled my hair, or anything like that would show I am flirting with him. In fact I wear a wedding band on my left hand on occasions when I want to just be left alone, but very sadly, guys never look. They never look. It's almost like they don't care but I guess it is a moral reflection of our degrading society today. I have asked my family member if they see anything about me that I could change and they told me I was 'too nice'. I shouldn't be so nice." Well, I dont think I was too nice..should I be mean and grumpy?? In any case, there is just nothing more that I can do, although I will definitely be praying about it in the coming days.

So to finish the story, yesterday while we were there, as we were leaving he was behind me, and as we got out of the room, and into the waiting room, I felt his hot hand on the small of my back as we said good-bye. In light of his personality he has shown to me, and everything else I have cited here, I was infuriated at him stretching the boundary even further by touching me. Why did he have to touch me? I feel he was very unprofessional andinappropriate with no boundaries. I dont want to be his friend!

Lastly. Since he has not been overtly direct with me, rather more indirect, I wonder or get the feeling that he may be more a manipulator than interested in me. I dont know I could be wrong, but I feel like maybe he is just playing, but since he is married, I think he really is - playing.

You can bet that when I felt his hand on the small of my back, I felt like turning around and giving me a kickbox jab in the face with my foot. Of course, I didn't lol um.. there were people in the waiting room.

Very, very lastly is always self doubt. Questions flood my mind that I am overreacting, that I am taking this too seriously, that he never harmed me. And yet, at the the same time why should I be made to feel uncomfortable and take his behavior? Obviously, we are going to him for a service, and obviously, we could stop going, but unfortunately, he one of the best we have ever seen.

Our next appt is looming, and I am dreading going. I feel nervous by his gaze by now, his lack of personal boundaries, the way he devulges so freely personal information. I wonder what is wrong with him? I think I should say something to him, but what? Can you help me? Or what would you suggest? Recommendations and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks to anyone who has stayed with me to the end, I know this is a long post. I sure would appreciate what any of you gals would do, or if you had a similar situation.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: vinsight4u

Persis

Aug 21, 2016
World
✟22,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sounds like a narcissist. Stay away from him.
Yes, I was thinking about that, too..about narcissism. I am pretty torn over this happening because my family member needs him. He is really good. Im the only person to drive and go with my family member right now. I just wish I could say something that would make him stop, and still be on good terms, so he wants to continue his excellent work. I'm so bad at these things.

Upvote 0

Persis

Aug 21, 2016
World
✟22,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some men just don't know how to act around the ladies sheesh.:rolleyes:
You're not kidding... I am sure he is like this with every patient, it's just he may not be coming on to them... or is he? It's hard to know since he has glowing reviews. Everybody seems to love that he treats them like an old friend or family member. He is creepy to me.

He is a liar, too. He told us that we could contact him anytime, and he will always answer the email after work, but he took 4 days to answer mine. Then he also said he would be giving my family member better treatment - more treatment, than the last practitioner we had, and then ended up giving her the same thing and didnt even tell us! I was so shocked because we had a whole hour with him in the 1st visit and something like that which was so important to tell us what his plan was, should have been foremost. Instead we had to listen to him talk about personal things and stories and all of that was a waste of time. In any case, I did talk to him about it on our next appt. to get what we wanted and what we came for, and he agreed. So we stayed onboard.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,259.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I was thinking about that, too..about narcissism. I am pretty torn over this happening because my family member needs him. He is really good. Im the only person to drive and go with my family member right now. I just wish I could say something that would make him stop, and still be on good terms, so he wants to continue his excellent work. I'm so bad at these things.

Find another practitioner or find another one who will go with your family member.

I have experienced sexual harrassment before from different people at different times, few of them recently although I'm a guy, the perpetrator is always an older male, usually those who holds an authority. Best course of action is avoid, keep away, stop giving them opportunity anymore.

If your family is Christian, they would understand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Samaritan Woman

Sep 2, 2013
Midwest
✟66,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This man is violating the ethics and code of conduct that his profession requires; you have every right to feel uncomfortable around him. While I know from your post that you are only the advocate in this situation, I will write as if you are the client due magnify the gravity of his poor conduct.

I myself am a licensed massage therapist which means, as a practitioner with a limited medical license, am required to uphold certain ethics with regard to business practices and client relations. It is a practitioner's duty to treat patients with the utmost respect while maintaining their dignity in every way; one way this should manifest is by focusing on the client's needs only while maintaining a barrier that prohibits the intermingling of the practitioner's personal life and medical treatment. Any exception to this rule only serves to detract from the client's experience. Not to mention, I am assuming that his license prohibits a romantic/sexual relationship with a client; to violate this rule could possibly result in having his medical license suspended or revoked.

To be perfectly honest, if you were the client, this man would need to be reported to the state medical board; I don't know if his behavior would constitute an official violation but it could possibly go on his record which would be a very good thing. He deserves to be called out.

Find a new practitioner; he doesn't deserve your business. As far as I'm concerned, he's a disgusting pig! :mad:

Upvote 0

AnnaDeborah

Aug 5, 2018
private
✟30,123.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If possible, find a new practitioner. I would inform him and his governing body of the reason you are leaving. If that is not possible, then I would write a letter to him, stating what aspects of his behaviour you find unacceptable and stressing that if this happens again, you will be reporting him. I don't know what your relative is seeing him for, but if he is regularly treating women who may be vulnerable, there may be other females who are feeling equally uncomfortable but who do not have the confidence to speak out for themselves or anyone to advocate for them.

Upvote 0

Persis

Aug 21, 2016
World
✟22,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sounds too weird to me. I would find another primary care provider. If the person you go with refuses to change, you will have to choose between continuing or tell them to find another person to go with them.
Thank you Richard for your feedback, I really appreciate !

Upvote 0

Persis

Aug 21, 2016
World
✟22,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Find another practitioner or find another one who will go with your family member.

I have experienced sexual harrassment before from different people at different times, few of them recently although I'm a guy, the perpetrator is always an older male, usually those who holds an authority. Best course of action is avoid, keep away, stop giving them opportunity anymore.

If your family is Christian, they would understand.
Thank you Timewerx for your advice, I really appreciate it! I am so sorry for what happened to you, and I hope you are doing ok now. Thank you for sharing this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Persis

Aug 21, 2016
World
✟22,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This man is violating the ethics and code of conduct that his profession requires; you have every right to feel uncomfortable around him. While I know from your post that you are only the advocate in this situation, I will write as if you are the client due magnify the gravity of his poor conduct.

I myself am a licensed massage therapist which means, as a practitioner with a limited medical license, am required to uphold certain ethics with regard to business practices and client relations. It is a practitioner's duty to treat patients with the utmost respect while maintaining their dignity in every way; one way this should manifest is by focusing on the client's needs only while maintaining a barrier that prohibits the intermingling of the practitioner's personal life and medical treatment. Any exception to this rule only serves to detract from the client's experience. Not to mention, I am assuming that his license prohibits a romantic/sexual relationship with a client; to violate this rule could possibly result in having his medical license suspended or revoked.

To be perfectly honest, if you were the client, this man would need to be reported to the state medical board; I don't know if his behavior would constitute an official violation but it could possibly go on his record which would be a very good thing. He deserves to be called out.

Find a new practitioner; he doesn't deserve your business. As far as I'm concerned, he's a disgusting pig! :mad:
Samaritan Woman, thank you so very much for your support - words of wisdom, advice, and also sharing your knowledge of being a practitioner with a limited medical license (he is the same as you). It is because of your post, along with the support of the others in this thread, that I moved to go forward.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Persis

Aug 21, 2016
World
✟22,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If possible, find a new practitioner. I would inform him and his governing body of the reason you are leaving. If that is not possible, then I would write a letter to him, stating what aspects of his behaviour you find unacceptable and stressing that if this happens again, you will be reporting him. I don't know what your relative is seeing him for, but if he is regularly treating women who may be vulnerable, there may be other females who are feeling equally uncomfortable but who do not have the confidence to speak out for themselves or anyone to advocate for them.
Thank you so much AnnaDeborah, I very much appreciate your advice, and your feedback. It was much along the same lines what I was thinking about too, as time went on. It played a big factor in my decision. Thank you for your support.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Persis

Aug 21, 2016
World
✟22,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This post is for everyone that has replied to me .

It has been over 2 weeks since I initially wrote. I garnered the opinions and feedback of friends and family, along with each of your replies here on the forum. I made the decision to move forward.

I called the Association in my area for the practitioner's occupation, and I spoke to the man at the top. He was an amazing listener, and I was very grateful he was so kind and patient as I told him what happened; he could have told me to just fill out some forms.

Upon hearing what I told him, he expressed he was very distressed by what he heard, and apologized that this happened to me. He prompted to write a complaint to himself and the Association in confidentiality.

I did that, and wrote a 5 page report. There was so much more actually than what I wrote here on the forum. In any case he left me with 5 options on how to handle this complaint, and I chose the lightest option - at least for now. With his knowledge, I chose also to add some negative general natured, fact-based reviews about my experience with this practitioner and his business on the internet.

My ultimate goal is that he does not take advantage of and hurt anyone else, like he did me and my family member. No one should have to tolerate that kind of behavior for paying someone or a service.

My hope, and the man I spoke to at the Association, too, believe that if there is anyone else that sees my reviews, that they will be spurned to also report theirs- that is if there is anyone else, we don't know.

At the very least, my hope is that my reviews will make the practitioner examine himself and change his ways, to make it his 100% top priority to treat everyone with good ethics, according to the profession business handbook and guidelines.

He deserved to be called out for his own good. I have no shadow of a doubt.

I just want to thank each of you again for your support. It really made a difference!
God Bless you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AnnaDeborah

Aug 5, 2018
private
✟30,123.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for letting us know what has happened. I think you have been wise. By choosing the lightest option, you've shown him that you are acting out of genuine concern not vindictiveness - hopefully, he will realise and appreciate this, and it will give him the incentive to change before anyone else takes stronger action.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Call him out on it....say it outloud "I'd appreciate it if you didn't touch me" everytime he touches you. He will come up with an excuse but your family member will become aware of the subtle things and he will likely back down since there is a witness in the room.

This is completely inappropriate interaction. A patient/client should know almost nothing about their counselor's personal life. The conversations should be focused on the client. This isn't a friendship where there is give and take...this is a therapeutic relationship and that means it focuses only on one person....or maybe the people in the clients life. I'd also write a letter to the board that license this individual. He might have taken advantage of a vulnerable client (or clients) who have attended alone. At least it gets your story out there.

He is a sleezebag and try to convince your family member to look for a new counselor. At the very least, don't ever let her be alone with him. Same goes for you.

forgive me...I answered without reading everything you posted...however you might be the whistleblower who stops another Dr Nassar (the gymnastic doctor who abused so many girls over so many years)...hopefully before he gets to Dr Nassar's numbers.

• Friendly
Reactions: Persis
Upvote 0