I need help on were to read in the bible.The parts that talk about being calm.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John 16:32
Behold, the hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home, and will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me.

33I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace.

This is one most significant to me. Jesus knew all that was about to happen and yet he had peace because he knew the Father is with him.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Every part of God's word can help us with this, somehow.

I think I'll offer 1 Samuel chapter 30.

David, before he became king of Israel was trying to stay away from Saul who was trying to kill David. Then, one time, David and his men went on a military maneuver, and the Amalekites raided their city Ziklag and took their wives and children.

First, they did the uncalm things. The wept until they could weep no more; yet, they somehow had the energy to talk about stoning David. May be he had been wrong . . . to lead his men on a military escapade, instead of making sure their families were safe. But crying and blaming did not work.

What worked was how David got encouraged with God, then consulted with God about what to do. Instead of uncalmly questioning God or assuming what he should do, David made sure with God.

And I understand he did what God encouraged him to do. And he would be wise to be calm to realize he could have helped that disaster to happen.

Then they beat the living daylights out of the Amalekites and got all their wives and children back. But certain rotten scoundrels in David's army then insisted that only the fighters should get plunder from the defeat of the Amalekites. The guys too weak to fight had watched the supplies; the scoundrels said no way should those weak guys get anything but their own wives and children.

But David was about family. So, he refused to go along with that anti-family, anti-sharing stuff. Part of his being calm, then, was he handled things as family.

We can lose our calm, I see from this, as we get focused on how things are on us and what we ourselves are able to do. Instead we need to submit to God and discover how He encourages us, satisfies us, and guides us. Do not trust less. Do not trust how worry would hurry us to draw conclusions, lying about what will be or could be or might have been. Do not trust how anger and unforgiveness might drive us. Do not give in to how stress and haste and ambition will waste us. Do not trust those dominating and dictatorial drives and feelings which can be so overpowering and convincing, but they are the pathological liar. Instead, personally share with our Father in His peace, and discover how our Creator creatively guides us to love each and every person.

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

We can lose our calm as we take things on ourselves, and even get isolated so we feel on our own. We can pray with each other, share with each other, but be ready to evaluate who we are wise to share with. And be ready to detect and forgive anyone who fails us > have "longsuffering" ready > Ephesians 4:2 < so we don't become an emotional basket case when people turn out to not know how to love. But then be their good example to help them.

This is possible with God, of course :)

So, we feed ourselves to be calm, by depending on God, knowing He is able to do all that is really good with us, and be ready for family sharing and forgiveness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
1Jn 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

One can see in the biblical definition of love that it is essentially selflessness;

1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
1Co 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
1Co 13:6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
1Co 13:7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

In KJV 1611 English, charity = love and perfect = complete

Anxieties often arise from the consideration and apprehension of possibilities. Transcendent love is the result of maturity that replaces concerns of the flesh with those of the Spirit (Galatians 5).

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟391,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Psalms and the Gospels are the best places for calm and reassurance if you are just starting out. Then progress into the Epistles of Paul and John and Peter, and after you finish the New Testament, start in the Old Testament. Many Christians read the bible several times. There are plenty of year long bible study schedules on the internet if you need some form of organization to help you keep up a good daily habit without becoming so bogged down you neglect other things. A year to read the bible or two years is a reasonable time frame. Then get a commentary after that and study the bible the next time through. I use the Bible Knowledge Commentary from the Dallas Theological Seminary and have for 30 years.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,129.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I need help on were to read in the bible.The parts that talk about being calm.

Psalm 23
A Psalm of David.
The Lord is my shepherd,
I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You have anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Romans 8:37-39

But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. " - Philippians 4:6-7

This is made easier when we remember who God is, according to Jesus' teaching on prayer:

"And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
Pray then like this: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.'" - Matthew 6:7-13

Our Father knows what we need before we ask him. Holy is his name, so he can be trusted. He is better than friends and earthly fathers (Luke 11:5-13).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
When I have been anxious or troubled, Psalm 46 has been my go-to centering passage to help me calm down.

God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.

4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
5 God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.
6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.

7 The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress...

Upvote 0