I NEED HELP- I'M starting to doubt God

N1K0L4T35L4

Mar 17, 2012
✟15,111.00
Faith
Christian
So maybe my fellow christians can help me restore my Faith in God. Thank you:)
So here is what is bothering me:
- Is there any evidence of God, besides the Bible?
- Why does God allow all the terrible things to happen?
- Why doesn't God destroy the Devil, if its the Devil's fault?
- Why does God 'hate' Homosexuals, if we are all equal and God created us the way we are?
- There are some stories in the Bible, that just cannot happen in real life, because Physics won't allow it
- Why does God throw all the people in Hell, if those people don't believe in him(you know we should have free will to decide what we want to believe, also some people in Africa can't ever hear of God, because there is nobody to explain them, does this mean they should go to Hell?)
- Why doesn't he do any of the things the Bible says He should do?
- Why does he make innocent children suffer?
Thank you all for helping me restore my faith
:liturgy:

William II

Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job.
Mar 13, 2012
Washington, D.C.
✟16,019.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
You're going to have to find Christ in your own way. A relationship with God is a very personal relationship indeed. It's hard being a Christian, but it's up to you to decide if you're going to accept Christ into your heart and such. No one else can do it for you.

There is proof for God all over the place. From human compassion to the intricacies of the universe, God is everywhere. Be it a sunny weekend morning or a clear night's sky illuminated by the stars...the evidence of God's handiwork and magnificence of his creation is everywhere.

Don't get sucked into the hate-fueled, ignorant and intolerant views of some Christians. Only you can define your relationship with Christ, no one else.

Upvote 0

hwyangel

Mar 25, 2012
✟15,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
" - Why does God 'hate' Homosexuals,if we are all equal and God created us the way we are?"

Homosexuality is blasphemy against God.

Genesis 1:27
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

In the 6th day he created "him" (singular) "male and female created he them" (plural)

Then notice in Genesis chapter 2 that Adam (singular) is set in the garden of Eden and names the animals. And there is "no help meet".

18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature,that was the name thereof.

20 And Adam gave names to all cattle,and to the fowl of the air,and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

So if there is "no help meet" then where is the female? Watch this.....

21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam,and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

22 And the rib,which the LORD God had taken from man,made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

23 And Adam said,This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Did you see that? She was taken "out of man"
Gods image is the father, son, and holy spirit. One God.

Mark
6 “But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’ [a] 7 ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, 8 and the two will become one flesh.’ [c] So they are no longer two,but one flesh. 9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Upvote 0

hwyangel

Mar 25, 2012
✟15,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
" - Why does God throw all the people in Hell,if those people don't believe in him(you know we should have free will to decide what we want to believe, also some people in Africa can't ever hear of God,because there is nobody to explain them,does this mean they should go to Hell?)"

Absolutely. Everyone has a freewill and no one goes to hell blindfolded. For those who don't know:

Romans 2
13 (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God,but the doers of the law will be justified; 14 for when Gentiles,who do not have the law,by nature do the things in the law,these,although not having the law,are a law to themselves, 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts,their conscience also bearing witness,and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) 16 in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.

Upvote 0

hwyangel

Mar 25, 2012
✟15,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
" - Why doesn't he do any of the things the Bible says He should do?
Like what?

- Why does he make innocent children suffer? Thank you all for helping me restore my faith"

Does God make children suffer or do people who don't listen to God make children suffer? Sin is not a created thing, it is an absence of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Does God make children suffer or do people who don't listen to God make children suffer? Sin is not a created thing, it is an absence of God.

It's people without God who make children suffer. Christians over many centuries have advocated and supported the value of childhood.

Sin is more than an absence of God. Behind it is a spiritual being utterly and relentlessly opposed to God

John
NZ

Upvote 0
May 7, 2012
✟15,114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi my friend N1K0L4T35L4. Here are my answers to your question; Is there any evidence of God, besides the Bible? The clear evidence of "intelligent design" is one such evidence. The way our ribs protect our organs, the way our eyes automatically focus to see things perfectly, ear wax that is a natural insect repellent, the perfect symetrical designs of a snowflake, the fact that sounds can "create" perfect patterns and highly intricate designs (see "cymatics" on you tube).....god in genesis "speaks" things into existence. The fact that "without" the bible the world would be evil with no good morality...look at prisons,...99% are non christians inside them (although some convert when in there-they werent before). Thats off the top of my head so far whilst "trying" to exclude the bible as a whole - Why does God allow all the terrible things to happen? God is an "end justify the means" type of God....there is a greater good to be achieved at the end of all the suffering which is "neccessary" for now for his supreme purpose which our minds could no cope with understanding the full scope of it. - Why doesn't God destroy the Devil, if its the Devil's fault? Again...the devil is a "neccessary evil".....for now. Part of the big plan - Why does God 'hate' Homosexuals, if we are all equal and God created us the way we are? He hates them like he hates all evil....however i believe that about 5% of gay people are actually "possibly" born with it from whatever reason such as modern day pollution/chemicals in the water or deliberate gender changing technology and so for these VERY SMALL cases, as long as they are following christ, they will be saved as they cant change their genetic make up....but as for the 95% of other gays who just do it because they have become perverted or perhaps insane (as it used to be recognised as a mental illness and admittance to mental hospitals was common)..as for the 95% well they need to commit to christ as normal as they are not "naturally" gay. - There are some stories in the Bible, that just cannot happen in real life, because Physics won't allow it It all depends on what subject you mean....physics along with alot of science and history is "controlled" and we have been lied to since day 1 by those who are very very intelligent and get their knwledge from satan...they keep the true history and the way "reality" works hidden from the masses in order to control us and make people question certain things but of course unless you give an example i am not sure what in particular you are addressing. - Why does God throw all the people in Hell, if those people don't believe in him(you know we should have free will to decide what we want to believe, also some people in Africa can't ever hear of God, because there is nobody to explain them, does this mean they should go to Hell?) I believe from readin the bible as a whole that this is because of 2 likely reasons. Number 1: we are given a choice on how we want to live (with no mention of the consequences) BEFORE we are born on this earth and make our decision then in CoMPLETE fairness and exposure to ALL possibilities and if we choose christ over being literally ANY other lifestyle/possibility (such as a rock star with lots of women) then we are "pre-ordained" to live as a christian at some point (according to his plan) when we are born here on earth hence why it says through the bible tha "he knew us before the earth was formed" etc and that our fates are "pre-determined"...the other possibility is that because he is completely fair...if we didnt have the choice BEFORE earth, then he decides what we would do IF given that choice i described ...he knows what who/what lifestyle we would choose in the scenario i mentioned but while here on earth and so while he still planned everythin before the earth was formed, if anyone would choose him including all th people who have never heard of him....if any of them would have accepted him in the COMPLETE fairness of being offered ANY and ALL possibilities/lifestyles (as mentioned above in the "pre-birth" choice scenario) , then he will send someone to convert them or send a sign or something to make sure htey get saved. - Why doesn't he do any of the things the Bible says He should do? He does...what are you refering to? - Why does he make innocent children suffer? Again..ends justifies the means is what i have gathered from gods ways...kill 100 to save 1 soul ? 1 soul is more important than a billion lives Hope this helps you

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I will attempt to answer you within your quoted words. Please click to expand the quote box below and you will see my responses to all your questions in blue.

- Is there any evidence of God, besides the Bible?

***Creation itself is evidence that God exists. LostInConfusion makes this point above as do the Scriptures themselves (see Psalm 19:1-2; Romans 1:20-21). You continue:

- Why does God allow all the terrible things to happen?

***If we are not allowed to make bad choices as well as good ones, how could we be said to possess "free will"? You continue:

- Why doesn't God destroy the Devil, if its the Devil's fault?

***The devil tempts us, but when we sin, it is us choosing to do so, not the devil forcing us. In fact, God always provides a way of escape from each temptation we are confronted with (1 Cor 10:13) that we should never have to enter into sin. You continue:

- Why does God 'hate' Homosexuals, if we are all equal and God created us the way we are?

***God doesn't hate "sinners", He loves them (the proof of which can be most clearly seen in the sending of His Son to die in our places to save us from our sins). He does hate "sin" however, but that is something all together different.

God created us upright (Ecc 7:29). When we sin, it is our choice to do so, but we were not made that way originally. You continue:

- There are some stories in the Bible, that just cannot happen in real life, because Physics won't allow it

***Why is this a problem for you? God is above all things, including nature. If He was bound by any laws or principles other than His own, he could not be said to be "God", could He?? God is in control and rules over all things. Conversely, nothing in all of creation controls Him. You continue:

- Why does God throw all the people in Hell, if those people don't believe in him(you know we should have free will to decide what we want to believe, also some people in Africa can't ever hear of God, because there is nobody to explain them, does this mean they should go to Hell?)

***People are judged by what they know, not by what they don't know! If they know God, His Son and His Word, they will be his judge. If they have never heard of the Bible or Jesus Christ, and all they know is the Law that is written upon the heart of every man and woman by God, it is upon that Law that they will be judged (see Romans 2:14-15). You continue:

- Why doesn't he do any of the things the Bible says He should do?

***Examples please! You continue:

- Why does he make innocent children suffer?

***Again, we were not created to suffer or die. All suffering and death entered this world when Adam chose to disobey God (Romans 5:12) and, as his children, we suffer some of the consequences of that choice. The good news in all this is that God has made a way for us to be with Him again, right .. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2013
✟147.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I've had doubts my entire Christian life. When I was younger, I kept waiting for the moment that I would wake up one morning and find that my doubts were gone. Kind of like having a bad case of the flu and finally waking up to find that the fever has broken and you are getting better. That never happened. But that doesn't mean I'm not a Christian.

I spent many years being tortured by doubt. My faith suffered so much. Then one day I realized that I could live with it. It wasn't a sin to do so. I recently published a free book about this fight with doubt called "iDoubt: When Faith Falters." It's free for the next few weeks on Smaswords.com. I wrote it with the hope that others who suffer doubt will find solace from others who know just what you are going through.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2015
✟15,127.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This seems to be an older question from that Newbie - and a lot of us answered his or her worries. But what happened? Why was there only one post by him or her? Were our answers simply not enough? Were they either shallow and empty or self-referential and thus did not answer his or her obvious anxiety? Did we lose this person because our answers were bereft of meaning in the world of human existence? This worries me greatly, because I live with these same questions that my fellow Christians can never answer without vague, meaningless pap.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi SOT_2015, the author of this thread made a single post here 3.5 years ago. As you said, we have no idea if we answered his questions of not and, sadly, we may never know (this side of Glory anyway). That said, which of the questions posed by the OP are questions that you have as well? Perhaps we can answer them to your satisfaction (or we can, at least, try to ;)).

BTW, I see you are pretty new here so, WELCOME TO CF .. :wave:

Let us know which parts of the faith you have questions about or problems with and we'll certainly tell you what we know and believe to be true.

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2015
✟15,127.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi David,

thank you for your reply! I have been exchanging messages with Chaplain Steve on this site for a week or two, although he hasn't answered back in a while, so I imagine he's on vacation.

It's hard to sum up my questions even in a prioritization sense, because throughout my walk, these doubts and questions orbit my mind at different times. One question that I and probably most of us has is 'do we need to pay attention to the Old Testament too, or just the New Testament?' It seems by John 10:35, Matthew 15:3, Mark 7:13 and Matthew 5:18 that we pretty much had better mind the Old Testament in toto. But I don't know any Christians who stay away from shellfish or pork out of religious reasons.
Your thoughts are welcome. I'd much prefer to ignore the Old Testament. It reeks of Iron Age mentality, violence, a vain and petulant God who commands genocide and hurling babies against rocks. It seems too judgmental and divisive to me. So I really have a vested interest in being able to get rid of it.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi David,

thank you for your reply! I have been exchanging messages with Chaplain Steve on this site for a week or two, although he hasn't answered back in a while, so I imagine he's on vacation.

It's hard to sum up my questions even in a prioritization sense, because throughout my walk, these doubts and questions orbit my mind at different times. One question that I and probably most of us has is 'do we need to pay attention to the Old Testament too, or just the New Testament?' It seems by John 10:35, Matthew 15:3, Mark 7:13 and Matthew 5:18 that we pretty much had better mind the Old Testament in toto. But I don't know any Christians who stay away from shellfish or pork out of religious reasons.
Your thoughts are welcome. I'd much prefer to ignore the Old Testament. It reeks of Iron Age mentality, violence, a vain and petulant God who commands genocide and hurling babies against rocks. It seems too judgmental and divisive to me. So I really have a vested interest in being able to get rid of it.

The OT and the NT are both very special in this sense, they are the repository of God's own words to us. Both are considered His "breathed" words, IOW, they are "His" words like the words we speak are "our" words. They are penned by man, but their Author is God Himself. So dismissing them would, obviously, be a mistake. Understanding what they mean to us today wouldn't be however ;)

Are you allowed to eat pork and shellfish now, absolutely, unless you are a Jew who is trying to keep Kosher (I love pork too, especially the price in comparison to steak :oldthumbsup:). But St. Paul made it perfectly clear that all things are now legal for us, and that even includes Jews who are now Christians.

The moral law (i.e. "Thou shalt not kill") still applies, but the ceremonial law was never meant for anyone outside of the Nation of Israel, and that before Christ came.

The OT helps us understand what living the Christian life would be like outside of Christ and it is, in fact, the Law of the OT that becomes our "tutor" (Galatians 3:24-25) to show us our great weakness (IOW, that we cannot obey that which must be obeyed perfectly to be saved), and in doing so, cause us to seek the only remedy we have left, God's mercy and forgiveness which can only be found in Christ.

There is a lot of tough stuff in the OT, but God's grace can be found on every page of it as well (if you look for it). Read something like Psalms 103 if you want a concentrated dose :)

As for your Scripture references, remember that Jesus was a man who was born "under the Law", lived "under the Law", and He preached to Israel only, who at that time was made up of people who were "under the Law" as well. Our being under Grace occurred only after that was possible, IOW, after His death, resurrection, and ascension, at Pentecost when the HS first formed the church.

Still, His words ring true for us today. The Jews formed a running commentary on the OT, the Talmud and other books, what they referred to as "Tradition", which they believed to be the correct interpretation of the OT. It wasn't, which is why the Lord pointed out to them that by the use of their "tradition", rather than obeying the Law, they actually transgressed it (IOW, they sinned against God) and they invalidated it as well (they changed God's intended meaning). So the need to correctly know and obey the word of God is just as true for us today as it was when it was written (which, BTW, was actually in the later Bronze Age .. the NT was written during the Iron Age though).

So for us, the moral law is "in", the ceremonial law is "out" but, just to be clear, the moral law is a guide to understanding what it means to be righteous. We walk in obedience to it to please God, but it is not through such obedience that we are first saved OR that we remain saved, salvation is always and only by grace through faith.

Wow, this has gone on way to long. I'd better stop and see what questions you might have or points you'd like to make. Sorry for rambling on so long.

Yours in Christ,
David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Without the OT we would not understand the New. Jesus life and death are to be seen as the continuation of God's story begun in Genesis and concluding with Revelation 20-22. Just as in any story, the ending depends on what preceded it. The beginning and plot development are not end points but steps towards the end. Thus we look for fulfillment of the OT, not a 'stand alone' set of texts. In the NT we see many quotes from the OT as the NT writers did just that.

John
NZ

Last edited:
Upvote 0