• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I need help gaining weight.

Paul01

Sinner
Jan 29, 2013
Missouri
✟9,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What kind of weight do you want to gain (muscle vs fat)? Think it through first and set some goals. If you just want to weigh more, the easiest thing to do is eat more and take a weight gain supplement - they are packed with calories and you just drink them. If you want to keep yourself toned, add a weight training routine so you can gain some muscle in the process.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You can take about 40 pounds of my weight if you want. I'll even ship it to you. lol If you find someone, marry and have a child. Likely you will have lots of weight left over. And trust me at that point you will wish it wans't there. Or seems to be the case with most women.

90 at 5'3 does seem a little to skinny. My fiance is 4'11 and and about 90 pounds. If you want some weight gain do what the above poster does. Or just eat at mcdonalds for a month... assuming it doesn't kill you. lol

Upvote 0

Spunkn

Jan 19, 2013
Nebraska
✟19,890.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Protein Drink - Drink lots of them - When my mom was in the hospital for chemo when she had cancer "shes in remission now" :amen: they made her drink those cause she couldn't eat cause she had sores in her mouth. :(

Probably this. I have the same problem, except I'm male. I usually hate eating large amounts of food at once. So what I will try to do is eat smaller portions throughout the day, just more of them. So instead of trying to eat a huge breakfast, lunch, supper break it up into smaller meals, but more of them. Or you can try doing protein shakes inbetween meals.

I know a lot of the people who put on weight for weight lifting and such are often eating a ton of chicken, turkey (I think if I remember right) and eggs. I know chicken and eggs are a main part of it.

But struggling against genetics can be hard. I've been doing it pretty much since Junior High.

I wrestled at 105 lbs my freshmen year in High School. Most of the other guys around my age were 125-150. Two of my classmates were around 200 and 210 (talk about feeling small next to them). I did manage to get 6th at state which I was proud of, but I've always hated being small.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

artqween

together we are strong :)
Feb 3, 2013
ummmmm
✟2,846.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Democrats
I am under weight.
90 pounds at 5'3.
Any tips?
*I'm not anorexic, it's genetic.
Im a Female Btw, almost 18. :kiss:

Seek a dr.? u may have physical issue? Seek testing? U do have disability?
Seek support groups in your local
Hospital/clinic/.. u go to church with ur
Family? Consider nutritional shakes
Lots of them? Seek dr.s help for ur
Anorexia "fast"??? ur body is in
In trouble??? Who else has this disease
In ur family as well as friends/..??
God help our friends fight this disease
Now?? and find a quick cure now??
May u feel stronger, filled with courage, hope,.... and know u r always special
Beautiful, plus.. u calld on Gods name?? And askd him for help?? A.J.
:) hey btw

Upvote 0

lift4christ

Jun 27, 2013
✟7,658.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am under weight.
90 pounds at 5'3.
Any tips?

I can help. However, I would prefer to take this to private messaging as I could quickly high-jack this thread.

I'm a bodybuilder. I maintain less than 10% BF year round and I'm telling you, the secrets to weight gain for ectomorphs (what you are) is hard to find on the internet. A good 50-70% of all people are endomorphic, which means they hold weight and gain weight easily, especially fat. So their advice will differ greatly from the unconventional, uncommon advice you need to hear about gaining weight.

It takes time and thought really. Not all foods breakdown the same in the body, and some are prone to leaving you full while others are prone to leaving you very hungry.

As a start, here is some basic direction.

Avoid saturated fats - they take too long to breakdown in the gut and leave you full for longer periods of time. Even worse, your body uses very little energy to digest them too, paradoxically. This means less energy burned, more stored as fat and a full stomach.

Eat lots of complex carbs and a moderate amount of protein. A good ratio to shoot for is for every 1g of carb you eat, have .5g of protein with it.

So if you eat 50g carbs, have 25g protein in the mix. The fats will come if you just focus on these two. Smaller meals throughout the day is sound advice. You don't have to get crazy at first, just 4-5 meals a day to start. From there, as you implement training, you can start increasing consumption at each meal, then the meal frequency. Eventually, you'll be eating ALOT more and you'll also be increasing your metabolism. So likely, because you are an ecto, you'll pack on relatively lean weight.

Before you go any further, go ahead and thank Jesus for giving you an ectomorphic body, as most people even on this board would gladly take over their own.

We can get into science later. I have to see how this board responds to my advice, first.

Upvote 0

Rodluf555

Jul 3, 2013
✟7,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Eat healthy and nutritional foods at least four times a day.
Don't use any foods supplements, steroids, medication, and processed foods to gain your weight because all these products never gain weight in a healthy way, all these items cause some health complications. Eat more natural protein foods and also fruits and vegetables to get a healthy level of your weight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lift4christ

Jun 27, 2013
✟7,658.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Eat healthy and nutritional foods at least four times a day.
Don't use any foods supplements, steroids, medication, and processed foods to gain your weight because all these products never gain weight in a healthy way, all these items cause some health complications. Eat more natural protein foods and also fruits and vegetables to get a healthy level of your weight.

I agree with steroids, medication and processed foods being unhealthy overall but the food supplement suggestion I do not agree with. Food supplements simply means what it is, a food that is supplemented in the presence of already healthy amounts of normal eating. Examples,

Protein powders/bars
Carb powders
Various fats such as Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids, CLA's and MCT's
Creatine Monohydrate (There is not a lick of evidence that it is unhealthy given that you take the recommended doses)

The only reason I am splitting hairs here is because ecto's actually need supplementation to gain weight due to their extremely high metabolism. It is often impractical for ectos to eat whole foods alone. They need it all.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lift4christ

Jun 27, 2013
✟7,658.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
choosing to eat fast food and high fat diets will certainly do the trick, but at a cost to your internal health.

Cholesterol profiles will suffer, blood pressure will rise, your body fat will increase at a faster rate than your lean tissue mass which will lead to more fatigue, a lower strength to mass ratio and a less aesthetically pleasing look which will likely drive even more insecurities than one already has in this God-forsaken society.

Upvote 0
B

BlueLioness

I am under weight.
90 pounds at 5'3.
Any tips?

Here, have some of my weight. *Jacqueline gives you some*

Ahaha, now we've got what we both want: You're fatter and I'm thinner. :ebil:

I was approaching 300 pounds and quite horrified but unable to lose weight, I am glad to give some of my weight to you. :o

Upvote 0