New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have put this off for some time, but I am running out of options and I need help. I know this is long, but it's a complicated matter.

I will be thirty this April, and yet I am still trapped with my mother and a man who helped us after my father left, as is one of my brothers. Part of this is because I am psychologically and emotionally crippled and have a lot of issues with fear, chronic depression, very low confidence and self-seteem, and panic attacks, which have prevented me from being able to hold a regular job. God has been helping me overcome these fears little by little, but the healing process is slow.

But the other part is that my mom and the man who helped look after her and us are both keeping me and my brother from moving forwards with our lives. I am not allowed to drive, despite having a driving license and no harmful record, and my brother, who is only a few years younger than me, has never even been given the chance to earn his license. She was sick with cancer in bed, with a fractured neck, and she still refused to let me drive to the store to get groceries, even though the man who looks after her was already overworked and I have never given her reason to doubt my driving skills. And until recent events changed things, my mother didn't so much as let me wash my own clothes, or do my own bills for the few college classes I've taken, or pretty much anything.
I'm not saying she is completely abusive; she used to cook us meals and occasionally take us out to eat every now and again, which was the only time we ever got out of the house other than my weekly trips to church, but she traps me and my brother here, keeping us in this lifestyle like we are little kids, and to be honest, I am, at my age, no better off than most fourteen-year-olds; in my finances, in my job history,

We are not technically held against our will. My mom always talked about me getting a job or a girlfriend. But whenever I made any motions towards trying to get either of those things, she just seemed to do her best to make herself useless. She legitimately seemed relieved when I had went into a store to meet this girl I was sort of interested in but came out and said I didn't think she was my type.
We may not be actually locked in or anything, but we have nowhere to go, and nobody to help us. My dad is at the moment living in very difficult circumstances and can barely provide for himself, let alone us, and none of my friends lasted past childhood, so neither I nor my brother have any friends to turn to. As for family, most of my dad's side of the family is either dead or aren't the sort of people who would help, while my mom's side of the family are all strangers to us, and are not very helpful. (None of them did anything when we lost our house.) And my other brother is heading off to boot camp for the Marines in a couple months, and can't do much to help.
As for the church, I don't know who to ask for help. Because this isn't a normal situation, and because I hate being a burden to people, even though I am so psychologically broken that is all I feel I could be, as I have to be very choosy what I can and can't do to avoid slipping into chronic, suicidal depression.

I have never actually attempted suicide, though I have come close, but I do suffer from suicidal depression, especially whenever my mother is involved. She is a toxic person who hides away from society and fills our minds with negativity and pessimism and fear. I once jumped out of a moving car (only 30 mph) just to get away from her toxic yelling and hate as she ranted about how the people at my one church were so horrible. (They were jerks, I admit, but nothing meriting that kind of toxic hate.) I broke a rib and sprained my ankle, but when she took me to the hospital (I'm not sure she would have if my other brother hadn't been living with us at the time), I only told the doctors that I had "though I would just shake it off, like they do in the movies". I didn't tell them the reason I jumped. My mom seemed really adamant that if I did, they would take me away and lock me up in a psych ward. Maybe she was just scared of what would happen to her if I told the truth.
She did take me to therapy before, but she flat-out refused to let me take medication for my depression or any of my social anxiety. And since I can't go anywhere without either her or the man who helps her driving me, I can't get them for myself.

The problem is, she's very likable to everyone who doesn't know her. The man who's helping her (it's a complicated relationship; I'll just say "family friend") is totally assured that she is a great and wonderful person, even though I know she always said mean things about him behind his back and was always villanizing him, antagonizing him, and searching for other men behind his back to take his place. And everybody else who meets her seems to say how likable and nice she is. Although the instant they disagree with her or anything, she may be polite to their faces, but she will demonize them behind their backs.

She also intentionally stirs up anger and fights and drama, then plays the victim whenever things go wrong. I think she loves being the center of attention: I noticed that whenever I was hurt of sick, she would roll her eyes and be like "stop overreacting", even though she would moan and groan and carry on whenever she had something, and she never missed an opportunity to tell everyone how much she was suffering, or had suffered. She would praise our accomplishments, but then she would show them off to other people, as if we were trophies to brag about.

But then, something has recently happened which changes everything: my mother is now in hospice with cancer.

You see, the problem is this: she bred me to be a helpless little kid in the body of an adult man. And While God has been helping me break barriers, I am still rather helpless and I don't know how to do a lot of basic adult things, nor does my brother. If she dies, I am sorry to say some guilty part of me will be relieved, as I will finally be free of her. But I have nowhere to go, nobody to help me, and no money or really marketable skills to use. (I am a decent painter and writer, but I don't even have the means to sell paintings, since I literally have no money to my name to spend on shipping, and I can't even drive myself to the local art center to ask them for help.)
As for this family friend, he is completely under my mother's spell, and is only interested in helping her. He helps us out of kindness to her, but if he knew how me and my brother really felt, I don't think he'd help us.

The situation is a lot more complicated than even all I have written, but I'll just leave it here. My question for you all is... what should I do? And is there any way to help me and my brother move on?
My brother has a friend who lives in Washington state who he has plans to go and stay with, once he has the money, and can set up a bank account and maybe get a driving license.
As for me, I have nowhere to go and nobody to help me. Chronic depression, social anxiety, and a naturally shy personality have made it nearly impossible to make friends. I want to ask for help from the church, but to be honest, I've heard "be warm and be filled" and "I'll be praying for you, brother" too many times to expect much more than verbal comfort. They don't seem to understand people who are broken like me and my brother.

Please, somebody, if you have any ideas on how I could find a place to stay and recover, please let me know. If I don't accept your ideas, please be patient with me; I'm a broken man who can only take so much. I'm not trying to shoot down your suggestions. I just need help breaking free from somebody who, while never physically abusive or horrible enough to be accused in a court, has been emotionally and psychologically abusive of me my entire life.
One of my few requirements is that I need a place where I can have peace and quiet and privacy, and a place to set up my desktop computer and work on writing my books, which I believe is what God put me on this earth to do. I also need a place where the people understand it might take a very long time, maybe (though hopefully not) a couple years, to recover and be able to handle myself on my own, and are willing to be as patient with me as I need. I am doing my best to move forwards, but God's time is not man's time, and if he chooses to heal me slower than I would prefer (and he has been healing me,) then he knows best, and I need people who will let God do things in his own time.

Thank you in advance, and may God bless you all. He's all I have keeping me sane at this point.

• Prayers
Reactions: Ricky M

Willing-heart

In Christ Alone.
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2017
Gloucester
Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry to hear about all that you've been and are going through. First of all there is no better place for you to go than to go to the throne of Grace. Seek the Lord in prayer, let him know of your your worries and anxiety. Infact leave it all to him... I think if you connect with a local church, a loving bible believing church. Find someone you can trust there and talk to them. There might be someone who is willing to take you in and accommodate you. And by the way you may think you are helpless and useless, but trust me on this, YOU ARE NOT WORTHLESS TO GOD.

I often hear some people say “I’m not worth it.” In Isaiah 54:9, in His words, God tells us through Isaiah that “With everlasting love I will have compassion on you says the LORD, your Redeemer.” Isaiah is telling us that we are worth it to God. Don’t you go saying am not worth it when the cross shows how impossibly valuable you are to the Father and to the Lord Jesus Christ and to the Holy Spirit. It’s incredible, but it’s true!
  • It is the value of your soul and mine that made Jesus leave the glories of Heaven and come to earth to live in grinding poverty.
  • It is the value of your soul that caused the creator of Heaven and Earth for a time to have nowhere to lay his head.
  • It is for your soul that the King of glory sweat blood in the garden of Gethsemane.
  • It is for your soul that the Prince of glory allowed himself to be beaten until his flesh was torn apart.
  • It is the value of your that caused the God of power and might to hang helplessly on a wooden cross.
  • It is the value of your soul that caused those spikes to pierce His hands and feet.
  • It is the value of your soul that compelled God in human flesh to go to Calvary and die on a cross.

Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry to hear about all that you've been and are going through. First of all there is no better place for you to go than to go to the throne of Grace. Seek the Lord in prayer, let him know of your your worries and anxiety. Infact leave it all to him... I think if you connect with a local church, a loving bible believing church. Find someone you can trust there and talk to them. There might be someone who is willing to take you in and accommodate you. And by the way you may think you are helpless and useless, but trust me on this, YOU ARE NOT WORTHLESS TO GOD.

I often hear some people say “I’m not worth it.” In Isaiah 54:9, in His words, God tells us through Isaiah that “With everlasting love I will have compassion on you says the LORD, your Redeemer.” Isaiah is telling us that we are worth it to God. Don’t you go saying am not worth it when the cross shows how impossibly valuable you are to the Father and to the Lord Jesus Christ and to the Holy Spirit. It’s incredible, but it’s true!
  • It is the value of your soul and mine that made Jesus leave the glories of Heaven and come to earth to live in grinding poverty.
  • It is the value of your soul that caused the creator of Heaven and Earth for a time to have nowhere to lay his head.
  • It is for your soul that the King of glory sweat blood in the garden of Gethsemane.
  • It is for your soul that the Prince of glory allowed himself to be beaten until his flesh was torn apart.
  • It is the value of your that caused the God of power and might to hang helplessly on a wooden cross.
  • It is the value of your soul that caused those spikes to pierce His hands and feet.
  • It is the value of your soul that compelled God in human flesh to go to Calvary and die on a cross.

Thank you very much for saying this. Positivity is important to me at this time in my life. I have faith that God is making a way for me. But I just don't know what I'm supposed to do to follow that way. I mean, I know He will provide, but, well... "Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief!" should be my catch phrase.
Thanks again. One good thing about all this stuff is that God has shown Himself to me more brightly and show me more spiritual freedom to me than if I had lived a happier life. So... all things work together for good, I guess. Still, I really hope he sets me free physically as well as spiritually very soon.

• Friendly
Reactions: Willing-heart
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have put this off for some time, but I am running out of options and I need help. I know this is long, but it's a complicated matter.

I will be thirty this April, and yet I am still trapped with my mother and a man who helped us after my father left, as is one of my brothers. Part of this is because I am psychologically and emotionally crippled and have a lot of issues with fear, chronic depression, very low confidence and self-seteem, and panic attacks, which have prevented me from being able to hold a regular job. God has been helping me overcome these fears little by little, but the healing process is slow.

But the other part is that my mom and the man who helped look after her and us are both keeping me and my brother from moving forwards with our lives. I am not allowed to drive, despite having a driving license and no harmful record, and my brother, who is only a few years younger than me, has never even been given the chance to earn his license. She was sick with cancer in bed, with a fractured neck, and she still refused to let me drive to the store to get groceries, even though the man who looks after her was already overworked and I have never given her reason to doubt my driving skills. And until recent events changed things, my mother didn't so much as let me wash my own clothes, or do my own bills for the few college classes I've taken, or pretty much anything.
I'm not saying she is completely abusive; she used to cook us meals and occasionally take us out to eat every now and again, which was the only time we ever got out of the house other than my weekly trips to church, but she traps me and my brother here, keeping us in this lifestyle like we are little kids, and to be honest, I am, at my age, no better off than most fourteen-year-olds; in my finances, in my job history,

We are not technically held against our will. My mom always talked about me getting a job or a girlfriend. But whenever I made any motions towards trying to get either of those things, she just seemed to do her best to make herself useless. She legitimately seemed relieved when I had went into a store to meet this girl I was sort of interested in but came out and said I didn't think she was my type.
We may not be actually locked in or anything, but we have nowhere to go, and nobody to help us. My dad is at the moment living in very difficult circumstances and can barely provide for himself, let alone us, and none of my friends lasted past childhood, so neither I nor my brother have any friends to turn to. As for family, most of my dad's side of the family is either dead or aren't the sort of people who would help, while my mom's side of the family are all strangers to us, and are not very helpful. (None of them did anything when we lost our house.) And my other brother is heading off to boot camp for the Marines in a couple months, and can't do much to help.
As for the church, I don't know who to ask for help. Because this isn't a normal situation, and because I hate being a burden to people, even though I am so psychologically broken that is all I feel I could be, as I have to be very choosy what I can and can't do to avoid slipping into chronic, suicidal depression.

I have never actually attempted suicide, though I have come close, but I do suffer from suicidal depression, especially whenever my mother is involved. She is a toxic person who hides away from society and fills our minds with negativity and pessimism and fear. I once jumped out of a moving car (only 30 mph) just to get away from her toxic yelling and hate as she ranted about how the people at my one church were so horrible. (They were jerks, I admit, but nothing meriting that kind of toxic hate.) I broke a rib and sprained my ankle, but when she took me to the hospital (I'm not sure she would have if my other brother hadn't been living with us at the time), I only told the doctors that I had "though I would just shake it off, like they do in the movies". I didn't tell them the reason I jumped. My mom seemed really adamant that if I did, they would take me away and lock me up in a psych ward. Maybe she was just scared of what would happen to her if I told the truth.
She did take me to therapy before, but she flat-out refused to let me take medication for my depression or any of my social anxiety. And since I can't go anywhere without either her or the man who helps her driving me, I can't get them for myself.

The problem is, she's very likable to everyone who doesn't know her. The man who's helping her (it's a complicated relationship; I'll just say "family friend") is totally assured that she is a great and wonderful person, even though I know she always said mean things about him behind his back and was always villanizing him, antagonizing him, and searching for other men behind his back to take his place. And everybody else who meets her seems to say how likable and nice she is. Although the instant they disagree with her or anything, she may be polite to their faces, but she will demonize them behind their backs.

She also intentionally stirs up anger and fights and drama, then plays the victim whenever things go wrong. I think she loves being the center of attention: I noticed that whenever I was hurt of sick, she would roll her eyes and be like "stop overreacting", even though she would moan and groan and carry on whenever she had something, and she never missed an opportunity to tell everyone how much she was suffering, or had suffered. She would praise our accomplishments, but then she would show them off to other people, as if we were trophies to brag about.

But then, something has recently happened which changes everything: my mother is now in hospice with cancer.

You see, the problem is this: she bred me to be a helpless little kid in the body of an adult man. And While God has been helping me break barriers, I am still rather helpless and I don't know how to do a lot of basic adult things, nor does my brother. If she dies, I am sorry to say some guilty part of me will be relieved, as I will finally be free of her. But I have nowhere to go, nobody to help me, and no money or really marketable skills to use. (I am a decent painter and writer, but I don't even have the means to sell paintings, since I literally have no money to my name to spend on shipping, and I can't even drive myself to the local art center to ask them for help.)
As for this family friend, he is completely under my mother's spell, and is only interested in helping her. He helps us out of kindness to her, but if he knew how me and my brother really felt, I don't think he'd help us.

The situation is a lot more complicated than even all I have written, but I'll just leave it here. My question for you all is... what should I do? And is there any way to help me and my brother move on?
My brother has a friend who lives in Washington state who he has plans to go and stay with, once he has the money, and can set up a bank account and maybe get a driving license.
As for me, I have nowhere to go and nobody to help me. Chronic depression, social anxiety, and a naturally shy personality have made it nearly impossible to make friends. I want to ask for help from the church, but to be honest, I've heard "be warm and be filled" and "I'll be praying for you, brother" too many times to expect much more than verbal comfort. They don't seem to understand people who are broken like me and my brother.

Please, somebody, if you have any ideas on how I could find a place to stay and recover, please let me know. If I don't accept your ideas, please be patient with me; I'm a broken man who can only take so much. I'm not trying to shoot down your suggestions. I just need help breaking free from somebody who, while never physically abusive or horrible enough to be accused in a court, has been emotionally and psychologically abusive of me my entire life.
One of my few requirements is that I need a place where I can have peace and quiet and privacy, and a place to set up my desktop computer and work on writing my books, which I believe is what God put me on this earth to do. I also need a place where the people understand it might take a very long time, maybe (though hopefully not) a couple years, to recover and be able to handle myself on my own, and are willing to be as patient with me as I need. I am doing my best to move forwards, but God's time is not man's time, and if he chooses to heal me slower than I would prefer (and he has been healing me,) then he knows best, and I need people who will let God do things in his own time.

Thank you in advance, and may God bless you all. He's all I have keeping me sane at this point.
Thank you for sharing your story. In a way you are in a wonderful position. You are utterly dependent on God. And no, I would not swap places with you. As you say, God is keeping you. You need more than just to stay afloat. I hope some of the suggestions ring true and you will overcome by God's grace.

First, realise that this is Satan's work. He is behind this. Resist the devil, make sure that you put on the armour of God daily and start binding the evil spirits that cause your mother to be so possessive.

Next, remember that the Lord Jesus came to set the captives free. Ask Him to be your wisdom as to how to escape the prison that you are in. It's good to respect your mother, obviously, but Jesus is your Lord (or should be).

Don't just sit back and let the situation overpower you. Nothing is too hard for God. There is always an escape. If you can't see one, remind God of His word and His promises. If you don't know the promises, then get into God's word and see what He has to say.

This may seem redundant, but when the opportunity to get away comes up, grab it immediately. Don't let anything or anyone put you off. I know a little what it can be like. Tears, promises to change, emotional blackmail (what will I do without you....). Don't look back. Don't be swayed. Remember Lot's wife!

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

call 211 and get help, you need a social worker to help you move into a safe group home

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Go to 7 cups of Tea.com for counseling training. You can do this from anywhere and it has been shown to be faster than traditional therapy.

Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for sharing your story. In a way you are in a wonderful position. You are utterly dependent on God. And no, I would not swap places with you. As you say, God is keeping you. You need more than just to stay afloat. I hope some of the suggestions ring true and you will overcome by God's grace.

First, realise that this is Satan's work. He is behind this. Resist the devil, make sure that you put on the armour of God daily and start binding the evil spirits that cause your mother to be so possessive.

Next, remember that the Lord Jesus came to set the captives free. Ask Him to be your wisdom as to how to escape the prison that you are in. It's good to respect your mother, obviously, but Jesus is your Lord (or should be).

Don't just sit back and let the situation overpower you. Nothing is too hard for God. There is always an escape. If you can't see one, remind God of His word and His promises. If you don't know the promises, then get into God's word and see what He has to say.

This may seem redundant, but when the opportunity to get away comes up, grab it immediately. Don't let anything or anyone put you off. I know a little what it can be like. Tears, promises to change, emotional blackmail (what will I do without you....). Don't look back. Don't be swayed. Remember Lot's wife!

Thank you very much. "He sets the captives free" is something that I knew of but never seemed to remember or think applied to me. I don't know why this didn't come to me sooner: God says it multiple times.
Thank you for your kind words. I am doing my best to bind away Satan's work in my life. And by "I'm doing my best," I mean I'm doing a lot of asking God to guide my hands like a parent guiding a two-year-old on their first tricycle ride, because let's face it, without Him, all my attempts would crash and burn in the first minute.

Funny thing; when I got up this morning, my Bible was open, and the first verse I laid my eyes on was 2 Corinthians 6:2.
"For He says "in an acceptable time I have heard you, and in the day of salvation I have helped you." Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation."
I truly believe God is bringing my deliverance as I write this, and that I just need to have faith. Thank you for your comments, and your prayers. The Lord bless you and keep you, and give you peace.

Upvote 0