I Need Advice On Dating Christian Women As A Very Open Minded Christian?

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Like Basil I think you'ld have better luck sticking to Mainline churches than trying to fit into American evangelicalism. They tend to be more tolerant of unorthodox beliefs or material heresy. But at the same time you must also be willing to use that open mind to learn from the experience of other Christians.

I believe you might potentially find a home within the Episcopal Church, since they are the closest in religious ethos to what you are talking about. There are many Episcopalians that have an appreciation for mysticism and experiential religion. Of all the mainline denominations, they also tend to have the highest percentage of "new age" type beliefs among their adherents (whereas my own denomination, the Lutherans, have the least).

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
You yourself said you were far out. I doubt you will find a true Christian church that would condone drugs or other things you mentioned. It sounds like you will look til you find a church that will condone your actions. That would not be Gods house. I am not being mean to you. I believe you want something that is far from Christianity. Off hand I don't know of any religion that condones altered states but I bet there are plenty. Again, they won't be a part of our savior. Good luck.

The Jesus Freaks in the 60's and 70's weren't that different. Many of them had a history of psychedelic use, as well.

Don't try to make Christianity about button-downed conformity. There is a place for a Christian counter-culture in the Church that embodies a more winsome attitude. Last Sunday, after all, we commemorated Francis of Assisi, and in many ways he was the original Jesus Freak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Jesus Freaks in the 60's and 70's weren't that different. Many of them had a history of psychedelic use, as well.

All I'm saying is don't try to make Christianity about button-downed conformity. There is a place for a Christian counter-culture in the Church that embodies a more winsome attitude. Last Sunday we commemorated Francis of Assisi, and in many ways he was the original Jesus Freak.
A "history of psychedelic use" from which they repented. (turned AWAY from)

Christianity is the counter-culture. It is counter to the prevailing culture. To claim that there is a place for "a Christian counter-culture in the Church" is, well... counter-productive. (going backwards)

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
A "history of psychedelic use" from which they repented. (turned AWAY from)

You seem to be focused on shutting the door on those weak in the faith. That's counterproductive. Real churches that have withstood the centuries of time have to tolerate some beliefs or attitudes among its adherents that are not exactly orthodox or "politically correct". We do so because we realize faith is a journey we are all on, and if any one of us were to insist on a church where everybody must get it all right, perfectly, none of us would be left there. So we encourage people rather than try to coerce people into agreeing with us.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You seem to be focused on shutting the door on those weak in the faith. That's counterproductive. Real churches that have withstood the centuries of time have to tolerate some beliefs or attitudes among its adherents that are not exactly orthodox or "politically correct". We do so because we realize faith is a journey we are all on, and if any one of us were to insist on a church where everybody must get it all right, perfectly, none of us would be left there. So we encourage people rather than try to coerce people into agreeing with us.
"Real churches "? Tolerant of "unorthodox" beliefs or attitudes? (unrepentant sinners)

No, not shutting doors. The church is a spiritual hospital, not a museum for the "perfect". However, we treat the patients at our "hospital", rather than leave them sick and dying. (in the name of "tolerance")

What you are describing is a social club, not a church. You look the other way to keep church attendance up while the attendees are gleefully led down the path of eternal destruction with nary a word of caution? What devilry have you embraced?

• Agree
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
"Real churches "? Tolerant of "unorthodox" beliefs or attitudes? (unrepentant sinners)

No, not shutting doors. The church is a spiritual hospital, not a museum for the "perfect". However, we treat the patients at our "hospital", rather than leave them sick and dying. (in the name of "tolerance")

What you are describing is a social club, not a church. You look the other way to keep church attendance up while the attendees are gleefully led down the path of eternal destruction with nary a word of caution? What devilry have you embraced?

No, we accept people as they are and offer them the ordinary means of grace in the hopes that God will work within them, and aware that we ourselves are sinners and only see through a glass darkly.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, we accept people as they are and offer them the ordinary means of grace in the hopes that God will work within them, and aware that we ourselves are sinners and only see through a glass darkly.
What do you mean when you say, "the ordinary means of grace"?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Word and the Sacraments.
How is that "the ordinary means of grace"?

--- EDIT ---

So, I suppose you mean you are telling them pseudo-biblical allegories and inviting unrepentant sinners to the Lord's Supper. (eucharist/communion) Thus defiling it and damning them. (eat and drink in an unworthy manner)

Does that sound about right?

1 Corinthians 11:27
So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0