✟22,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I am a young Christian who has been dealing with an internal struggle and other.

Before I talk get into that, and why I am asking for advice, I'd like to give you some background about me. I am 18 years in old. I am in my first year as a student at a small Christian college. One of my parents is a pastor, so I have been raised in the church my entire life.

So, here are some problems I'm facing (sorry if it is a lot)

So, I have been struggling with an addiction. This addiction has been getting in the way of my everyday life, and most importantly, my spiritual life. I am feeling so guilty, because I want to praise God every day. I guess what I am trying to say is, how do I get to the point where I can put all the focus on the Lord and living a Godly life, instead of putting my focus on my addiction?

Second, I love the Lord, but i feel like there is something missing. I often try and talk to the Lord, but I often get distracted by the things around me. I want to live a Godly life, but there is always sinful influences. In this day and age, for a teenager at least, how do I get rid of those negative influences as a young person in a relatively anti-Christian world?

While I am here in college, I seem to be stuck in two friend groups. I like both groups of friends, but have an issue with some of their actions. The main reason i am having a hard time with this, is because both have a lifestyle that is not favorable in God's eyes. I want a group of friends who put God first in everything. I am on the shyer side, but I want to find people who are devoted Christians, which is something I am having a hard time finding. Does anyone have any advice about how I can discover this group?

Finally, I need some advice about relationships. I will try and make this not very cringy, but I am a red-blooded American male teenager after all. I have never been in a relationship before, but I know that God will provide. I have long struggled finding the perfect God-fearing girl for me. It may be my lack of confidence or my shyness, but I feel stuck, and am often lonely. Does anyone have any advice to this, or any words they would like to share? Thanks

I'm sorry that this was a lot, but thank you for any responses. God bless.

Also, I would love to talk with someone one-on-one about some things. If any one wants to spare a little time to talk to a young Christian who is searching, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks again

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi,

I am a young Christian who has been dealing with an internal struggle and other.

Before I talk get into that, and why I am asking for advice, I'd like to give you some background about me. I am 18 years in old. I am in my first year as a student at a small Christian college. One of my parents is a pastor, so I have been raised in the church my entire life.

So, I have been struggling with an addiction. This addiction has been getting in the way of my everyday life, and most importantly, my spiritual life. I am feeling so guilty, because I want to praise God every day. I guess what I am trying to say is, how do I get to the point where I can put all the focus on the Lord and living a Godly life, instead of putting my focus on my addiction?

Second, I love the Lord, but i feel like there is something missing. I often try and talk to the Lord, but I often get distracted by the things around me. I want to live a Godly life, but there is always sinful influences. In this day and age, for a teenager at least, how do I get rid of those negative influences as a young person in a relatively anti-Christian world?

While I am here in college, I seem to be stuck in two friend groups. I like both groups of friends, but have an issue with some of their actions. The main reason i am having a hard time with this, is because both have a lifestyle that is not favorable in God's eyes. I want a group of friends who put God first in everything. I am on the shyer side, but I want to find people who are devoted Christians, which is something I am having a hard time finding. Does anyone have any advice about how I can discover this group?

Finally, I need some advice about relationships. I will try and make this not very cringy, but I am a red-blooded American male teenager after all. I have never been in a relationship before, but I know that God will provide. I have long struggled finding the perfect God-fearing girl for me. It may be my lack of confidence or my shyness, but I feel stuck, and am often lonely. Does anyone have any advice to this, or any words they would like to share? Thanks

Also, I would love to talk with someone one-on-one about some things. If any one wants to spare a little time to talk to a young Christian who is searching, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks again

I have two basic views of addition, depending on what the addiction is about.

1. G-d gives power to overcome addiction. You have to cut it like a cancer, out of your life, by any and every means possible. You have to fight it, like it is a fight to the death, and you are either going to win, and stand up like a man, or you are going to die trying.

It means if you are addicted to gambling, you install blockers on your computer, or only use computers at a library in public. It means you buy a laptop, and do your homework at the free wifi at McDonald's.

You have to do whatever it takes.

2. I have come to realize that some people need more professional help. For whatever reason, they are not able to handle it with G-d alone. Fine. Get help. Contact rehab. Yeah it will suck, and yes everyone will know.

So what? Is your pride worth more than your life? Seven deadly sins style?

You need to make this a priority to overcome addiction. Too many people end up spending 20 years of their life wasted in addiction, and then they sit around wondering why their life is half over, and they have nothing to show for it.

Don't be that guy.

how do I get rid of those negative influences as a young person in a relatively anti-Christian world?

Welcome to Christianity 101.

This is how life is. Um... you simply have to exercise your ability to resist evil, and limit your intake of bad influences.

It really is that simple, and yet that difficult.

Think of it as like getting into weight lifting. No man wakes up on new years day, saying they are going to be a weight lifter, and just starts pump 100lbs weights.

They start off with 10lbs, then 15, then 20, then 30, then 50, then 75 then 100. Perhaps smaller increments than that even, but the point is the same.

No one has super strong muscles by default. You have to use them, over and over, consistently until they are built up.

Same is true of dealing with the negative influences of this ungodly culture. This is one of the reasons I get irritated with Christian parents who shelter their kids. They can't build a resistance to the culture, if they never experience culture until they are tossed out into college.

Nevertheless, by resisting the negative influences around you, you can build a thicker skin against the evil in society.

I often try and talk to the Lord, but I often get distracted by the things around me.

Some people can sit there and carry on a hour long conversation with the Lord. More power to them.

I cannot. My advice is, shorten your prayers. You don't need to be doing a dissertation to G-d. Pick 5 things you want to say to the Lord, and then say them. Brief, to the point, with the main things spoken directly.

"Thank you Lord for looking after me. Please help me with my addition. Watch over my sister who is preparing for her final in college. I pray my car repair at the shop doesn't cost too much. Please let me run into someone I can hang out with. Amen".

Say what needs said, and move on. The pastor at my parents church, could stand up at the front and pray for 10 full minutes, and never repeat the same thing twice. That's great, and fine. But not all men pray that way, and that isn't bad either. Focus on what you want to say, and move on.

I have long struggled finding the perfect God-fearing girl for me.

I'm going to be blunt on this.... if you are not ready to be married.... you have no business being with, or even thinking about women.

So you need to determine in your own mind, do you want to be married? Not 10 years from now. NOW. Do you want to be married, NOW?

If you do, then ask people to set you up with someone. Ask girls out on dates. Don't give me this shyness stuff, because the only guarantee in life is that if you never ask, you'll always lose.

There is never a guarantee of winning, but there is a guarantee of losing. If you don't ask, you won't go on a date. Guaranteed 100% of the time. Just like if you never apply for a job, you'll never get a job. You may not get a job, if you apply.... but if you don't apply, guaranteed 100%, you will not get a job.

Beyond that, I'm afraid I have no more practical advice to give. I'm single and in my 40s. So that is the limit to my advice.

I wish you the best, and good hunting for your wife.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Dropout_Theologian

Not an ant in God's glorious library.
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2018
Southern United States
✟64,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey, I'm 23, and have an addiction to sexual misconduct, and I have been a Christian for about six years. God has been using this addiction to draw me to him, in self-improvement, spiritual discipline, and self-honesty. I've been involved in fellowships about it and in other fellowships and a theme seems to be to admit, believe, commit, forgive, confess, amend, develop, and evangelize. These steps, unabridged, are the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous (adapted here for SA), which are adopted by many programs. Many people seem to be helped by doing them. I have been helped somewhat (though I never got past two or four with a sponsor). I have been leaning on Psalm 119:9 lately and trying to do God's Word and conditions have improved, though they're not where I want them to be. I say replace all the evil with good, in all areas of your life, and the addiction will be cleaned. This is a challenge to me as well as you.

When it comes to prayer, find a closet or a prayer room. I have found that being obedient and actually going into a closet helps a bit when I do it. I'm not sure what to tell you about your friends.

Upvote 0

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

Your issue notwithstanding, I think it is very common not to put the Lord first, at least not at all times as should be done. I would pray that you have a strong fear of the Lord. In terms of your addiction I would ask the Lors to reveal what the root cause of it is. Are there Christian counselors you can talk to on campus about it that you feel comfortable with? This forum also has an option to talk to a Chaplain of you're comfortable with that.

We can't get rid of the world outside of loving in a monastery. The challenge is learning how to deal with it. That's what growing up is about! You're seeking counsel and that's good. Keep doing that, don't rush any big decisions and pray morning and might. Distractions are part of the spiritual battle.

To be completely honest they might not exist. Do these friends believe in Christ? Is it possible you are judging them and not seeing where you have failings? Perhaps you could be an example to them but if you feel they are tempting you to do wrong and you don't feel you can say no then yes try and find another group. In terms of how I'd say pray about it. You can't really know someone's walk until you spend time with them and see how they conduct themselves.

I'm not perfect. You're not perfect. She won't be perfect. I totally understand the loneliness but you don't want to idolize another person and say she will solve your loneliness problem because then you're not actually seeing her as a human being anymore. Try and just fins opportunities to hang out with women in no pressure environments and ask the Lord to open your eyes to their humanity so that you see them as people and not a fulfillment of your needs.

I think perhaps a volunteer activity would be helpful for you to give you an opportunity to pour out for others and get your focus off of yourself. I don't say that so much as particular advice for you but I think this is generally helpful.

Also, I would love to talk with someone one-on-one about some things. If any one wants to spare a little time to talk to a young Christian who is searching, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks again[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Zach0024

Nov 30, 2018
United States
✟22,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Yes of course if you have other questions please PM me. I may not have answers but God Willing I can be of service,
I am new and have not built up the minimum post requirement, so I am unable to message. Can you message me? I would love to talk a little bit. Thanks

Upvote 0

DLovingBrother

Jun 21, 2018
MidAtlantic
✟24,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Zach0024,
You need to immerse yourself in God’s Word in order to know what is right and wrong. I am over 50 and I have met many Christians who do not know how to be filled with the Holy Spirit. You need the Holy Spirit’s power to be able to do the things that you know are pleasing to the Lord. To make it short, get hold of this book entitled “Spirit-Controlled Temperament” by Tim LaHaye and read the section about getting filled by the Holy Spirit. But read the whole book and discover your temperament so that you can see what your strengths and weaknesses might be. I never regretted reading this book because it showed me how to be the Christian God wants me to be. God Bless You, young brother.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Hey! Welcome, Zach, to ChristianForums! I, too, grew up as PK (pastor's kid). My grandpa was a pastor, my Dad was, and two of my brothers have/are pastoring churches.

Well, as a Christian now for over forty years, I can tell you that "Read your Bible, pray every day, and you'll grow, grow, grow" isn't the way God says in His word to overcome sin. All of our sins are just symptoms of a deeper problem. That deeper problem is what Paul the apostle called the "old man" (Romans 6:6). Each sin we commit is just a manifestation of our "old man" being in control of us. He sits on the throne of our heart where God ought to be. Many Christians, unfortunately, get occupied with stamping out sin without ever dealing with the source of the sin. But this is a lot like dealing with the symptoms of cancer without ever dealing with the cancer itself. To truly rid yourself of the symptoms of cancer, you've got to get rid of the cancer. So, too, with sin. To be free of sin requires that one remove the source of sin.

What is the "old man," exactly? He's who we are without God in control of us. The "old man" is selfish; he's prideful and contentious; he's occupied with satisfying the appetites of the flesh; he's looking at the here-and-now rather than at eternity. Here's how Paul the apostle described those who are under the control of their "old man":

Philippians 3:19
19 ...whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame--who set their mind on earthly things.

Romans 8:5
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh...

Ephesians 2:3
3 ...we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind...

Romans 8:7-8
7 ...the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.
8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Galatians 5:19-21
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,
20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies,
21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like...

And so on. Not a pretty picture, eh? Of course, constrained by society and their God-given conscience, most people maintain a veneer of goodness, a mask of propriety and courtesy, and so the "old man" doesn't run totally amok. But given the opportunity, those under the control of the "old man" will not move toward God but away from Him, deeper and deeper into darkness.

What can be done about our "old man"? Can he be improved? No, the Bible is very clear that the "old man" is incorrigibly wicked and impossible to reform. (Romans 8:7-8; Romans 7:18; Galatians 5:17) Because this is so, there is only one course to take: our "old man" has to die. But, since my "old man" is essentially myself without God, I can't put him to death. I love myself too much; the impulses of my flesh are too strong for me; the power of sin grips me too powerfully. And so, God stepped in and did for me what I could not do for myself: He put my "old man" to death on the cross of Christ some 2000 years ago.

Galatians 2:20
20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Romans 6:6
6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.

Galatians 5:24
24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Galatians 6:14
14 But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Colossians 3:3
3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

The answer to our sin problem is found in the truth of our co-crucifixion with Christ! God has already, through Christ, rendered powerless the source of all our sin, our "old man." He's been nailed to the cross of Christ which liberates us from his power to cause us to sin:

Romans 6:7
7 For he who has died has been freed from sin.

Romans 6:9-11
9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him.
10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.
11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Okay, so why, if the born-again Christian is dead to sin as these verses say, does he still sin? How can a believer be dead to sin and yet commit sin? Well, the answer is two-fold: First, many believers - most, even - have no idea about their co-crucifixion with Christ and what it means to their struggle to overcome sin, and, second, they are not living in moment-by-moment surrender to the will and way of God's Spirit.

There was a news story many years ago about a vagrant living in St. Louis who had inherited many millions of dollars from a recently deceased uncle in England. Lawyers had begun a search for the indigent nephew of the rich man in the city of St. Louis but had been unsuccessful in locating him. Tragically, before the nephew could be located, he died from exposure to the freezing cold of winter. For the many months the search for the nephew had gone on, though, the nephew had been a millionaire! But, he hadn't known that he was and so he continued to live like a pauper. He was at once both a millionaire and a penniless vagrant. This is much like what happens to many Christians. They have a spiritual inheritance that is theirs in Christ, part of which is their co-crucifixion with him, but they don't know it. So, they go around like spiritual paupers, weak and compromised, fouled by sin, not knowing they are "dead to sin but alive unto God through Jesus Christ." This is, then, how a Christian can be both dead to sin and living in sin at the same time.

The other problem many Christians have in the matter of their struggle with sin is that they are not living in moment-by-moment surrender to God's Spirit. Most of the time, they are acting entirely unilaterally in how they live; they are largely steering their own course and maybe, at times, when some really important decision confronts them, they wonder what it is God wants them to do. No Christian, though, can live in the truth of Romans 6 while at the same time neglecting to give God the reins of their life. Paul points this out:

Romans 6:12-13
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.
13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.

Romans 12:1
1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.

It is God's truth infused with the transforming power of the Holy Spirit at work in the Christian's life that moves them out from under the grip of the "old man" and into victory over, and freedom from, sin. This is God's route to freedom from any and all sin. Now, there are other strategies one might follow to overcome sin, but in God's method the end goal is not merely our freedom from sin but deeper fellowship with Himself. Do you want more of God? Or do you just want an easier conscience? His way lays before you, but at its end is more of Him and less of you. (John 3:30)

We were made to glorify God (1 Corinthians 10:31; Matthew 5:16), to live in a way that exalts Him and that holds Him at the center of who we are and how we live. But this life requires that we decrease, that we, in fact, die to ourselves. (Matthew 16:24-25) This may sound like a difficult, even unpleasant way to live, but the reverse is actually ultimately true:

Matthew 16:25
25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Matthew 11:28-30
28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

John 10:10
10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

The best life anyone can live, the life for which God made us, is the crucified life. For out of such a life flows joyful fellowship with God and an abundance of Himself manifested in and through us. This is the life for which we all were made and so it is the most fulfilling one we can experience. Do you believe it?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

Hi Zach,

Welcome to CF and to the faith.

I am only going to address one of your points and that is about distraction.

Distraction is a problem for us all.
My recommendation is to put aside a specific time each day, even if it is a short time like 10 minutes for God. Many people find first thing in the morning or in the evening best.

Think about turning off your phone and texts. Really removing distraction. Whatever that may be for you. Tv or radio or phone or guests coming over.

Know this is a struggle we all struggle with.

God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

Okay, first nice to meet you.

You say you have an "addiction" but of course depending on what the addiction is my advice would be different.. if your addicted to opiods is a far different situation to feeling addicted to food, for instance. However, I can only give advice from the only addiction I have known.

Unlike you I didn't spend my life saved, and was addicted to smoking for 32 years. After I was saved I was convicted of sin and quit smoking.

It wasn't easy and going without it was a definite process after 32 years, but every time a craving overcame me I prayed fir God to help me through. I also pasted sticky notes with uplifting verses from scripture all over my house and sometimes actually cried.. lol.. but I made it through and am a non smoker today.

I can say 18 is young enough that while this issue might seem more difficult than you can do, it's easier to walk away from addiction now than it will be once this becomes a way of life later in life. So I vote you keep praying and take it one day at a time whatever this is and instead of focusing on the negative (such as thinking yourself a failure because you caved in one time today) focus on your accomplishments each day, (such as, instead of two packs of cigarettes you only had one single cigarette through God who strengthened you).

Anytime your dealing with an addiction keep your focus on your positive progress and how much closer you are today to freedom in Christ. This is a faith workout building your faith muscles. Right now your trying to pick up the mustard seed and it seems like it weighs 200 pounds... but soon, you won't even notice the weight of the mustard seed you hold, as it is weightless...

Rest in Christ .. your utilizing His strength and not your own in overcoming this.

Sorry about the no girlfriend thing
but you've got time for that. Best for now to make yourself into the kind of strong Christian man your future wife will someday need, in both matters of faith and finance.

I'll pray for you.

Upvote 0

SleepingAtLast

Dec 11, 2018
Here
✟26,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey Zach,
I just wanted to say that I have struggled with addiction as well and have found tremendous help through some of the things that DropoutTheologian mentioned, and would definitely be willing to talk with you more about that if you want to drop me a PM. You are not alone in the fight, brother, and I am confident you can and will find freedom from it.

Upvote 0