Just me
Dec 15, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
✟102,417.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Not sure where or what to post, but my problem is I miss the relationship, closeness I had when I was first saved. I used to have dreams, visions, feel Gods presence, hear His voice. The closeness is gone, I know He is still there but it is not the same. Not sure what to do, did I cause this? Maybe not expecting an answer just feel lost.

Reactions: brinny

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello, I saw your post and had to respond. I am not sure how many have the extremes of intimacy and feeling God is silent and unsure why.

It could be said that each person has an "antenna", a spiritual receiving capacity which if resolved could perceive and hear God inwardly.

And there are the recorded exact words in the Bible which the Holy Spirit can breathe new touches in our spirit. I assume if you read Isaiah 30:20-21, the promises feel hollow and unrealized.

There are those who do hear God and from whom you could get a living Word from The Lord. We need each other. Those who hear from God are quite understandably isolated from most social connections. Being near Him makes one a Light Bringer and people avert their attention from even a little reflected light.

And there is the glory of people acting in their gifts which is a little bit of Heaven. An anointed worship leader, a spirit-filled Preacher, a band or singer making music inspired by God brings Heaven closer.

When you used to hear living Words in your own spirit, these other means may be emotionally unsatisfactory. Man does not live on bread alone. Hearing from Him is like air in your lungs- even if it is like a breath from a scuba tank.

I like listening to Jason Gray as a musician and songwriter who I believe he hears God..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Are your reading your Bible regularly? Just wondering. I feel close to God when Im reading His word. All the other things you mention are wonderful to experience when you are first saved but you mean to carry on with learning from Him as well and best thing is to read His book.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some refer to these times as wilderness experiences, pruning, or valleys. They're to help us to grow spiritually. One purpose is self examination. Sometimes things will be revealed that we need to take care of such as repentance and/or forgiveness of Yahweh, others, and ourselves.. Also, it makes us rely on Yahweh more such as He is our rock (Psa 71:3). We also realize more about His Word because some Scriptures will take on deeper meaning during these times such as I Thess 5:18 "In every thing give thanks:.." These times aren't easy and last for varying lengths. Encourage you to just keep on believing in Him, praying, thanking Him, hallowing His name, etc. After this period, one thing for sure the end result will be - you will be even stronger in Him because He promises, He'll draw close to you.

"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts..." James 4:8

Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not sure where or what to post, but my problem is I miss the relationship, closeness I had when I was first saved. I used to have dreams, visions, feel Gods presence, hear His voice. The closeness is gone, I know He is still there but it is not the same. Not sure what to do, did I cause this? Maybe not expecting an answer just feel lost.

How it was when you were first saved, is how it is supposed to remain for all of your Christianity. It is a false teaching people spread that "your honeymoon with Christ is over."

Why does the honeymoon end? People follow religious ideas instead of Jesus. And I have done it myself and my Christianity started to die and decay and it felt like the honeymoon was over. Then my pastor even said, "Don't you miss that honeymoon?" And then I decided in my heart, "No!!! This is not correct, this is false! We are supposed to remain like that always!"

What brings this slow death into our Christian walk is religious ideas, we have to get the religious theological glasses off, we got to shake things up!

This fixed me by taking off my religious glasses, and bringing my thinking out of a stale box:

A doctrine might even be right, but why is it a doctrine? As soon as we make it into a doctrine, and we fail to live it, we deceive ourselves, and our Christianity begins dying.

Every time we know something from the word and we fail to do it, our walk with Christ dies a little bit and goes stale.

Rather Christianity is simple and miraculous!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are your reading your Bible regularly? Just wondering. I feel close to God when Im reading His word. All the other things you mention are wonderful to experience when you are first saved but you mean to carry on with learning from Him as well and best thing is to read His book.
Excellent observation; the prayerful reading of God's Word day by day is essential.

Reactions: dawn7
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How it was when you were first saved, is how it is supposed to remain for all of your Christianity. It is a false teaching people spread that "your honeymoon with Christ is over."

Why does the honeymoon end? People follow religious ideas instead of Jesus. And I have done it myself and my Christianity started to die and decay and it felt like the honeymoon was over. Then my pastor even said, "Don't you miss that honeymoon?" And then I decided in my heart, "No!!! This is not correct, this is false! We are supposed to remain like that always!"

What brings this slow death into our Christian walk is religious ideas, we have to get the religious theological glasses off, we got to shake things up!

This fixed me by taking off my religious glasses, and bringing my thinking out of a stale box:

A doctrine might even be right, but why is it a doctrine? As soon as we make it into a doctrine, and we fail to live it, we deceive ourselves, and our Christianity begins dying.

Every time we know something from the word and we fail to do it, our walk with Christ dies a little bit and goes stale.

Rather Christianity is simple and miraculous!
"How precious did that grace appear,
The hour I first believed!"

"If we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another"; "Truly our fellowship is with the Father and His Son Jesus Christ" (John's First Epistle).

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I miss God, too. I'm also easily shaken nowadays. I'm losing confidence in Him. Pray for me. Let's pray for each other. *HUGS*
Feeding on the Word daily strengthens trust in Him and His promised. "All the promises of God in Him are yea, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God by us" (2 Corinthians 1.20).

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
You know, the closer you get to God, the harder the devil will try to pull you away from Him!

The devil will try all things to keep you from God. I should know as i have had one terrible year and a half. Full of sin etc. And it still has not stopped for me! But you know what? I will keep fighting the devil! My love of God is unbounded. However much the devil trips me up, i will continue to keep getting up and clinging tight onto Gods arm!

God bless you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Most of us seem to go through this fluctuation - God is always as there as He was before - but I know what you mean about not feeling certain things the same. I think we're not meant to feel that overwhelming joy all the time, otherwise it would lose its specialness to us if we become jaded to it. We are supposed to stay loyal and faithful through all feelings, tribulations, times, experiences, growth spurts. This helps us grow as stronger Christians and lean on God no matter what we internally feel. It also helps make sure we don't subconsciously reach for God for these feelings and experiences instead of just reaching for Him to reach out, if this makes sense.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

2 Corinthians 5:7
7 For we walk by faith, not by sight.

Have you ever thought about what this means? The Old Testament gives some great examples of what this sort of living is like. One of the best examples is, unfortunately, a negative one. You can read all about it in Numbers 13 & 14. When the Israelites came to the borders of the Promised Land, the land that God had said was theirs, twelve spies were sent in to check it out. Of the twelve, only two gave an encouraging report. The rest doubted God and His promise and said the land could not be taken by the Israelites. The cities were huge, the people were many, and there were giant Anak in Canaan, too. Rather than believe God's promise, the Israelites were made afraid by the report of the ten spies, and despaired of the future, and began to wonder if going back to the bondage of Egypt might be an option. Can you believe that? These same Israelites had lived through the miraculous exodus from Egypt, had witnessed the parting of the Red Sea, the pillar of cloud and fire moving with them as they journeyed to Canaan, the daily supernatural provision of mana and yet they still doubted the care and power of Jehovah. Incredible! As a result, that doubting generation of Israelites was made to wander and die in the wilderness.

Christians are often just like the Israelites of old. They doubt God, too. They look around at the World and themselves and doubt that what God has said about Himself and about them is true. You see, every believer has a spiritual "Promised Land" that is theirs in Christ. But few fully enter into it because they go with what they feel, and see, and hear rather than with what God has said. Every believer is in Christ:

2 Corinthians 5:17
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

Romans 6:11-12
11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.

Romans 8:2
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.

Colossians 3:3-4
3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

Galatians 2:20
20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

We have the "spirit of Christ" (Romans 8:9, 10) who lives within us and in whom we live. In Christ we find our salvation (1 John 5:11, 12), we find freedom from the power of sin (Romans 6:6, 7), we find transformation (2 Corinthians 5:17), we find the power to live "godly in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1:21; 2:13).

Many Christians, however, are encouraged and taught to think that if they don't feel God and see Him manifesting in some unusual way (miracles, sensations, high emotions, tongues, etc.) there is something wrong with their Christian experience. Nothing, though, could be farther from the truth. At some point, if our faith is to be strengthened and matured, if we are going to really enter into the Promised Land we have in Christ, we must stop walking by sight - by signs and "special" experiences of God - and instead walk by faith. "God has said," should be enough. Even when all my experiences, and feelings, and thoughts contradict what God has said, I am still to simply trust Him and to step out in faith on the basis of what He has said is true. The Israelites on the borders of Canaan didn't do this and they ended up wandering in the wilderness until they died.

So, stop worrying about what you do or don't feel. God has made each of His children a promise that He will "never leave them nor forsake them." (Hebrews 13:5) Do you believe it? Maybe, though, the problem is that it is the experiences and feelings you crave. Your present "dry spell" is, perhaps, revealing this. God isn't your experiences and feelings. Don't make the mistake of confusing them for Him. God is still just as real, just as powerful, and just as present even when you don't have any feeling or experience to prove it. Trusting that this is so against what your feelings and experience may indicate is what "walking by faith" is.

Have you read Hebrews 11? It communicates a great deal about what real faith looks like. It isn't what is commonly held up by many modern believers as faith:

Hebrews 11:13
13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

Hebrews 11:35-40
35...And others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection.
36 Still others had trial of mockings and scourgings, yes, and of chains and imprisonment.
37 They were stoned, they were sawn in two, were tempted, were slain with the sword. They wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, tormented--
38 of whom the world was not worthy. They wandered in deserts and mountains, in dens and caves of the earth.
39 And all these, having obtained a good testimony through faith, did not receive the promise,
40 God having provided something better for us, that they should not be made perfect apart from us.

Rather different than those today who chase constantly after supernatural validations of God's presence and power, eh? Even in the absence of the fulfillment of God's promise, these heroes of the faith continued to trust Him. How about you? Will you let go of the need for special feelings and experiences and simply trust God? Will you by faith go deeper with God and enter into the spiritual Promised Land in Christ that is yours? Or will you be like so many these days who never feel sure of their relationship with God unless they are doing or experiencing something unusual and intense?

One other thing: It is almost always the case that when a believer feels God has moved away from them it is that they have moved away from Him. And when people do this, when they move away from God, sin is always in some way in the mix. The remedy for sin, thankfully, is simple:

1 John 1:9
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

The great thing about being God's child, though, is that even when we stray, He comes after us like the Good Shepherd He is and by His goodness draws us back to Himself. (Romans 2:4) God will let us feel the distance our waywardness and self-centeredness causes between ourselves and Him, but He does not remain passive, demanding that we must always move toward Him. If God were like this, none of us would ever have been saved. Thank God, He pursues us, and woos us to Himself, and does not wait for us to be good enough, to be faithful enough, to be strong enough to walk rightly with Him.

Selah.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I miss God

:heart: Bless yer heart, He hasn't forgotten you precious...guess Who is tuggin' at your heart, dear one, and Who prompted you to even post this here? (((hug)))

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

whatfor: Your dreams and visions, what were they about? what did you do with them?
When you heard his voice? did you respond and obey it?

Many believe they should always feel their faith or connection with God...this ain't always the case, we are to know. Feelings change and you can't rely upon what you feel when it comes to your relationship with the Lord.
Are you really lost? Check yourself. Do you know where you are?(geographically(where you live) and spiritually?--saved), who you are? (child of God), do you know in whom you believe for salvation?(Jesus);your unshakable foundation(God/bible), your call/duty etc? (Mark 16:15, Colossians 3:1-2, Micah 6:8, Luke 10:27, 2 Timothy 2:15, Ephesians 6:10-18)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And there are the recorded exact words in the Bible which the Holy Spirit can breathe new touches in our spirit.
Yes, the effect of the work of the Holy Spirit on the Scriptures which He inspired can never be underestimated; and should be remembered in terms of edification, learning and encouragement.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tighten your focus on knowing and loving the living person, Jesus Christ. Talk to him more. Note that there are dark periods sometimes called desert experiences, that can't be avoided, as tturt mentioned. If you're in one of those, fight to continue to trust him and his promises. Study Scripture with a heart to receive God's promises as true for you personally (if understood and applied properly).

If you want Jesus to connect with you more, you need to connect with him more.

Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. (James 4:7-8, 1984 NIV)

“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:40, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, bible reading is preparation but if you ready to step out to reach out to others God will bless that and you'll see Him come through in amazing ways.
Remember Job got his audience with God and everything restored once he repented AND prayed for his friends.

Upvote 0