• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I may have added to scripture

Job405

Jesus Christ Matters
Site Supporter
May 17, 2020
Uusimaa
✟121,390.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I made a comment on reddit.com where I said something like "Men shall not lay with men, and women shall not lay with women. It says so in the Bible." I was paraphrasing and did not quote any exact scripture.

But the truth is that the last part it doesn't exactly say that in the Bible. The Bible does seem to hint that women laying with other women is unnatural (Romans 1:26), but it doesn't exactly say women shall not lay with women.

I carelessly and through laziness added to scripture. Am I now doomed?

In Revelation 22:18-19 it says:

"I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book."

Does that verse only refer to the book of Revelation or does it refer to the entire Bible?

I have since then repented and deleted the comment. But is it too late? Or is that sin forgivable? What do you think?

Last edited:

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So I made a comment on reddit.com where I said something like "Men shall not lay with men, and women shall not lay with women. It says so in the Bible." I was paraphrasing and did not quote any exact scripture.

But the truth is that the last part it doesn't exactly say that in the Bible. The Bible does seem to hint that women laying with other women is unnatural (Romans 1:26), but it doesn't exactly say women shall not lay with women.

"I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book."

Does that verse only refer to the book of Revelation or does it refer to the entire Bible?

I have since then repented and deleted the comment. But is it too late? Or is that sin forgivable? What do you think?

The "curse" of Rev 22 was directed at groups of the time who co-opted parts of Christianity and cobbled together parts of their own religion. They were mostly gnostics. They would collect up scriptures and even gospels and then change them to give credibility to their own teachings. Those corrupted writings included the gospel of Judas, among others. It was so common at the time that the gnostics were often mistaken for Christians, even to the point of being persecuted alongside Christians. In an attempt to discourage the practice, the writer of the Revelation warned against adding to or removing from his own book, meaning changing it to suit themselves. It has nothing to do with paraphrasing as you have done and you haven't done anything wrong.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Lord is more gracious than you are realizing. He forgives even serious sins if we confess (more below). But first it may help to know more about what is even a sin: First, intent matters. We are never held to account for what we didn't intend. Also, we aren't held to account for what we don't understand. But, if we don't understand something and then state something about it in an absolute way to represent our understanding is itself scripture, yes, that would not be a correct thing to do. We are not to say stuff past what is definitely clear in scripture unless we say it's only our own guess or idea or understanding, to help others listening distinguish what is scripture and what is just our understanding or guess.

But God is gracious to us if we are humble and repent anyway. All of us do sometimes stumble and do a wrong, and we are graciously given the way to be forgiven and restored when we do: Read the full passage of 1rst John chapter 1 verse 5 through 1 John chapter 2 verse 2, and hear the wonderful and necessary understanding. You don't have to worry about being unforgiven for even serious wrongs if you (sincerely) confess.

Reactions: Jake Arsenal
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

First, same sex relations is outside of marriage, therefore forbidden.

The verse in Revelation is in regards to Revelation. When Revelation was written, there was no defined canon of New Testament Scriptures, let alone a "Bible".

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

No, I think that's for people that want to write follow up books, ala Revelations part 2 and then include them as holy books inspired by God on the same level as the existing cannon.

There was a lot of scripture "fan fiction" back in the early days, every body and their brother
had their own gospel or revelations apocalypse. And most were probably forgeries. Someone would write "the Gospel of Judas" for example, and highly likely not Judas. The early Church went through a lot of effort to weed things out like that.

I feel like your minor paraphrasing was inline with the scripture you had in mind and you have done nothing on the scale of what that verse was intended to deter.

There was a movie back a while ago "The Prophecy" about an extra additional chapter to Revelations being the plot of the movie. If anything, I think those guys were skating on some pretty thin ice for that and other reasons in the movie, I remember it brought to my mind that last verse of Rev.

Upvote 0

Jake Arsenal

Mar 2, 2021
Celestial City
✟47,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Pray Psalm 51:1-13

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟760,777.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

To Revelation only. We are allowed to comment on scripture and paraphrasing is what suffices when we don't know the exact biblical terminology.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
There is a difference in approaching the Bible with an agenda vs believing that it is truth but either mistaken about what it says or misquoting it. I would say almost every time this "curse" is invoked that it is about people who desire to reject what God's word truly says and means so that they can either engage in a particular sin or outright proclaim God is unjust and a hypocrite and we shouldn't want anything to do with him (reject him).
When ever I paraphrase things from the Bible I ALWAYS tell people that they should "look it up" themselves because if they are truly stumbling and confused, telling them what it says won't stick in their minds nearly as powerful as confirming it themselves.
Basically people that "add" to the Bible want to either diminish it or use it to gain power and fortune over others who often are too lazy to read it themselves. I've come across many Christians in life that have large egos that are lazy when it comes to the Bible and put them in their place because I have studied it and realize from my time before not studying it that a lot of the reason I backslid was I was either lazy or disinterested in the Bible.
I've found often people who don't want to read the Bible, quoting exact scripture and verse to them just turns them off because they view you as a mechanical robot with a memory but paraphrasing it in a more interesting and "to the point" way that they couldn't see before but once they have that in their mind they can see it in the Bible sometimes turns on the lightbulb above their head.
In other words both reading and having people teach you combined works better than either one alone.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

When the book of Revelation was first written, it was its own letter, not written as something that was later compiled as part of the the Bible that we have today, so as written it was only revering to the book of Revelation. Adding to it would be referring to making changes to what was written, not to accidentally misquoting it, especially when what you said was still in accordance with the spirit of what was commanded.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But is it too late? Or is that sin forgivable? What do you think?

You need to memorize and stick over your computer screen 1 john1:9 and to recite it daily untill you believe it.

Then start praising God for his amazing love and mercy.

Upvote 0

Jesusfann777888

Mar 28, 2021
manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

How many time's did you publish The Bible under your name and version and then go on to say this is The Holy Word Of God. 0 time's. Paraphrasing won't send you to hell anymore than when you had a thought you thought you Blasphemed God.

Upvote 0