Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So this is a bit of a turning point, for me: I have come to the conclusion that I make too little meaning, out of too many words. In other words, I say a lot, for no reason. Or in other words again, I like to think I'm funny, but my comic timing is awful. All these things add up and I would really like other people's opinion on what Jesus Christ, said, was the right amount to speak.

I mean Jesus basically said "Go into all the world and make disciples of all the nations" (Mark 16:15) and when you think about how much needs to be said, to make disciples of everyone, that is a lot of words! I think being the son of believing parents, I sort of committed to being more verbose (than less) and I am now wondering how can I cut all these words out and still make a strong point. Making a strong point, is the goal here!

Sometimes I think my spoken words are more powerful than they really are, other times I think "I must be unconsciously just making a joke, of what is actually serious", then I write something down and I realise "hey wait, I am making a completely different point, to the one I thought". Writing things down, is a key strategy - but there is a loophole: if I don't get the thoughts down as exactly as I think them, I largely forget the point and any point associated with it! It's like a war of words.

I would like, really and truly, for someone to pray over me, that my words not be a complete waste. I am capable of being funny and I know when someone has decided that I am crossing a line, with respect to what they think makes sense (in most cases anyway - Evolutionists sort of confuse me, but that is a different kettle of fish) and if I think I can stretch my words to make a greater point, I usually go for it - maybe I need to repent of using too many words, period, actually (an interesting thought). I guess the aim, in getting help speaking less, is that the words that I do speak will be more memorable. You be the judge, if I am getting there.

Anyway, I am super pleased that you are there for me as brothers and sisters, even if all you do is read this and think "maybe in Heaven, he'll sort it out"! Maybe in Heaven I will! God bless and may you not trip over your own words, either!

Last edited:

Llewelyn Stevenson

May 24, 2015
✟21,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I wouldn't fret over it too much, the Bible says he takes the foolish to confound the wise.

There is a saying used a lot in homiletics. KISS [keep it simple, stupid].

Perhaps write your post in a word document first and then read it, taking out those things you find unnecessary.

I believe Spurgeon used to give his sermons to a servant in his household to read and he was only happy if she could show that she clearly understood his point. It is sometimes good to let another read what we write. They may see things we don't.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Old Testament says: be slow to speak quick to listen and slow to anger. It also says in proverbs: a well timed comment is like apples of gold in settings of silver. A fool says everything on his mind and expresses all his feelings, in proverbs again. Better to be silent and thought a fool then to open your mouth and let them know for sure.
I kept quiet to follow these scripts and to grow a little. If you don’t speak always then when you do it will be memorable by default.

• Winner
Reactions: Gottservant
Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
i find it helpful to keep the focus off of me; most people do enjoy talking about themselves, so if you're predisposed to listen to them share about themselves, you'll be less likely to find yourself over-doing this. most people will be more receptive to what you have to say about what they have just said about themselves, once you let them finish (some will of course never finish, but they likely wouldn't listen very much anyway :) ). most people also like to complain, which offers potential opportunities to witness about God's Goodness that overcomes the things they complain about. and there are times that no response at all can cause them to reconsider what they believe (repent).

• Informative
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi there,

So this is a bit of a turning point, for me: I have come to the conclusion that I make too little meaning, out of too many words. In other words, I say a lot, for no reason. Or in other words again, I like to think I'm funny, but my comic timing is awful. All these things add up and I would really like other people's opinion on what Jesus Christ, said, was the right amount to speak.

I mean Jesus basically said "Go into all the world and make disciples of all the nations" (Mark 16:15) and when you think about how much needs to be said, to make disciples of everyone, that is a lot of words! I think being the son of believing parents, I sort of committed to being more verbose (than less) and I am no wondering how can I cut all these words out and still make a strong point. Making a strong point, is the goal here!

Sometimes I think my spoken words are more powerful than they really are, other times I think "I must be unconsciously just making a joke, of what is actually serious", then I write something down and I realise "hey wait, I am making a completely different point, to the one I thought". Writing things down, is a key strategy - but there is a loophole: if I don't get the thoughts down as exactly as I think them, I largely forget the point and any point associated with it! It's like a war of words.

I would like, really and truly, for someone to pray over me, that my words not be a complete waste. I am capable of being funny and I know when someone has decided that I am crossing a line, with respect to what they think makes sense (in most cases anyway - Evolutionists sort of confuse me, but that is a different kettle of fish) and if I think I can stretch my words to make a greater point, I usually go for it - maybe I need to repent of using too many words, period, actually (an interesting thought). I guess the aim, in getting help speaking less, is that the words that I do speak will be more memorable. You be the judge, if I am getting there.

Anyway, I am super pleased that you are there for me as brothers and sisters, even if all you do is read this and think "maybe in Heaven, he'll sort it out"! Maybe in Heaven I will! God bless and may you not trip over your own words, either!
Honestly I think we all suffer the same problems that you have mentioned, just that some of us are more self aware. You might want to try learning to use the art of questions to let someone lead themselves to the conclusion or point that you are trying to make. It is much more powerful if they come up with the truth themselves after a little help with the right questions.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi there,

I mean Jesus basically said "Go into all the world and make disciples of all the nations" (Mark 16:15) and when you think about how much needs to be said, to make disciples of everyone, that is a lot of words! I think being the son of believing parents, I sort of committed to being more verbose (than less) and I am now wondering how can I cut all these words out and still make a strong point. Making a strong point, is the goal here!

I say about myself that I never use one word if ten will do. I'm only partly joking. I have a teaching gift and, sometimes, I over explain to certain audiences. It's not easy. Some people grasp the point more readily than others. I believe that it is important to get feedback. I'd rather use a few words extra than leave someone wondering what I meant.

• Agree
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

Have you prayed what you are concerned about ? I suggest you pray Psalm 141:1-4.

Remember the admonition that we have received from apostle Peter:

For you were straying like sheep, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls. -1 Peter 2:25

Since Jesus Christ our Shepherd watches over us, let us turn to Him that we may not be like sheep gone astray.

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟151,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A quick rewrite.
I have come to the conclusion that I drivel. I like to think I'm funny, but my comic timing is awful. I would really like other people's opinion on what Jesus Christ said was the right amount to speak.

Jesus said "Go into all the world and make disciples of all the nations," (Mark 16:15) and being the son of believing parents, I’ve committed to verbosity as my approach to fulfilling this command. I am now wondering how I can effectively simplify my approach.

Writing things down, is a key strategy and I’ve found it is crucial to reflect and organize my words to maintain continuity. I enjoy humor, yet at times I cross the line. I would like someone to pray over me that my words be fruitful.
I am pleased you are here for me as brothers and sisters.

God bless

Write your words in a word processor before posting.

No need to preach the Gospel in heaven.

Be swift to hear and slow to speak.”

Life is practice... Practice.

In Christ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A quick rewrite.
I have come to the conclusion that I drivel. I like to think I'm funny, but my comic timing is awful. I would really like other people's opinion on what Jesus Christ said was the right amount to speak.

Jesus said "Go into all the world and make disciples of all the nations," (Mark 16:15) and being the son of believing parents, I’ve committed to verbosity as my approach to fulfilling this command. I am now wondering how I can effectively simplify my approach.

Writing things down, is a key strategy and I’ve found it is crucial to reflect and organize my words to maintain continuity. I enjoy humor, yet at times I cross the line. I would like someone to pray over me that my words be fruitful.
I am pleased you are here for me as brothers and sisters.

God bless

Write your words in a word processor before posting.

No need to preach the Gospel in heaven.

Be swift to hear and slow to speak.”

Life is practice... Practice.

In Christ
Dear friend,
I do like to pray to you but I don’t know how to pray for those whom I don’t know the name. Despite that, I suggest you to pray for yourself. In that manner, you are less likely being offended by others.

Pray over your life according to Psalm 141:1-4.

Another thing I suggest is to submit yourself to the Word according to what apostle Peter have told us in 1 Peter 2:1-3.

Meditate Psalm 19:12-14

The Lord will give us the strength to speak rightly. As He as our Shepherd has promised :

He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake. -Psalms 23:3

God bless you.

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟151,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear friend,
I do like to pray to you but I don’t know how to pray for those whom I don’t know the name. Despite that, I suggest you to pray for yourself. In that manner, you are less likely being offended by others.

Pray over your life according to Psalm 141:1-4.

Another thing I suggest is to submit yourself to the Word according to what apostle Peter have told us in 1 Peter 2:1-3.

Meditate Psalm 19:12-14

The Lord will give us the strength to speak rightly. As He as our Shepherd has promised :

He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake. -Psalms 23:3

God bless you.
Thanks for the encouraging words, I however am not the original poster. My words were taken from op and rewritten as an example of cutting out redundancy and retaining the core message.

In Christ

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: SANTOSO
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums