I made some dumb promises with God. Help.

LandonC

Apr 18, 2019
Salida
✟7,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello my name is Landon. I really want support as I really don’t know what to do I about this. I have my strong beliefs about this situation and they are... Iv made the promises Iv made with God, I know what they are, and I don’t plan on breaking them but not breaking them is causing havoc.

Here’s my story.
When I was a sophomore in high school (I’m 21 years now) I made a promise with God that I would never buy, touch, ingest, a monster energy drink. Why I made this promise is a long story. Many people here think I may be weird or silly for doing that. I know why I made the promise and when I did, I was aware that a promise to God is a promise to God and I seriosly expressed to God the seriousness of making this promise and had in mind (still to this day) to never break it and if I did, to not do it again ever. Even if I broke it a second time, Never means never and that was the promise. But about over a year ago, I told my sibling about this promise and was not very fond of it, then he told his freinds who decided to harass me and still do to this day chasing me with a monster drink and trying to force me to touch it and break my promise with God Becuase of their thinking of how rediculas the promise is. They also like to tell me that I need to get over it Becuase it’s stupid and that God will “excuse” me of that promise. (They don’t really have a great understanding of the Bible) I have cried in front of them trying to explain how serious I take this and my belief that a promise to God is a promise to God and I must NOT break it Becuase of my fear of God. The Bible says that when you make a promise to God be sure not to break it and it goes on to say that you should not make a promise then beg God to release you from it Becuase that’s not how it works (Ecclesiastes 5:4-7). Now, I know that we are supposed to rely on the promises that God made for us because we are human and the Bible says we SHOULD NOT EVEN MAKE A LROMISE WITH GOD in the first place. But, Becuase I’m a stupid human I did that. It is clear to me that making a promise to God within itself is not a sin, there fore it’s not something to be forgiven of, and it says not to go to the master and beg Becuase you said you were a fool.

I plan on sticking to my promise. What should I tell these people. They won’t respect me, they want me to be who THEY want me to be. The day may be comming when they will take a monster drink and literally force me to touch it unintentionally Becuase it has already happened, made me cry, and I asked for forgiveness and IM SICK OF THIS SITUATION.

Last edited:

BunkerBuster91

Apr 26, 2018
us
✟29,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
tell them i made a promise to god about the monster drink tell them i dont like you forcing it on me also i would suggest promise oaths what not can be forgiven let me show you something Or if a soul swear, fpronouncing with his lips gto do evil, or to do good, whatsoever it be that a man shall pronounce with an oath, and it be hid from him; when he knoweth of it, then he shall be guilty in one of these. hconfess that he hath sinned in that thing:
Leviticus 5:4–5
q

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,653.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I used to drink two Monster cans a day and got really scared when my heart rate shot up through the roof (I could feel it beat after a can). The stuff is addicting and can be hard to break free of. My question is why did make such a promise to God in the first place? Monster drinks or most food/drink isn't a sin and can be consumed in moderation. I usually have one on special days, like Easter, Christmas, my or someone else's birthday.

You might consider allowing yourself to have a drink like this on special occasions or give it up temporarily. Or using something else as a substitute. I suggest coffee, it's good for you (without loads of fat milk, sugar and chocolate) and there's almost no negatives to drinking it.

If the concern is that you are breaking a promise to God, you should prayerfully consider whether you made the promise on a reasoned decision instead of an emotional impulse. I've made promises and commitments to God as well, where I thought in the moment that I would carry through, inevitably I don't and all I can do is repent and take one more step on the path to sanctification. If you do break your promise, I would suggest it's not the end of the world, it's serious and you should repent, but there's no need to despair or get triggered at even the thought of touching a can.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

LandonC

Apr 18, 2019
Salida
✟7,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
UPDATE: Thank you everyone for the replies. I made the promise because when I was younger I was told about the mark of the beast on the can which I’m still not sure about wether it’s real or fake but regardless if I knew then what I know now, I would have NEVER made that promise because if the impact it can have.

Upvote 0

frogoon234

Feb 8, 2019
Lexington Park
✟5,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello my name is Landon. I really want support as I really don’t know what to do I about this. I have my strong beliefs about this situation and they are... Iv made the promises Iv made with God, I know what they are, and I don’t plan on breaking them but not breaking them is causing havoc.

Here’s my story.
When I was a sophomore in high school (I’m 21 years now) I made a promise with God that I would never buy, touch, ingest, a monster energy drink. Why I made this promise is a long story. Many people here think I may be weird or silly for doing that. I know why I made the promise and when I did, I was aware that a promise to God is a promise to God and I seriosly expressed to God the seriousness of making this promise and had in mind (still to this day) to never break it and if I did, to not do it again ever. Even if I broke it a second time, Never means never and that was the promise. But about over a year ago, I told my sibling about this promise and was not very fond of it, then he told his freinds who decided to harass me and still do to this day chasing me with a monster drink and trying to force me to touch it and break my promise with God Becuase of their thinking of how rediculas the promise is. They also like to tell me that I need to get over it Becuase it’s stupid and that God will “excuse” me of that promise. (They don’t really have a great understanding of the Bible) I have cried in front of them trying to explain how serious I take this and my belief that a promise to God is a promise to God and I must NOT break it Becuase of my fear of God. The Bible says that when you make a promise to God be sure not to break it and it goes on to say that you should not make a promise then beg God to release you from it Becuase that’s not how it works (Ecclesiastes 5:4-7). Now, I know that we are supposed to rely on the promises that God made for us because we are human and the Bible says we SHOULD NOT EVEN MAKE A LROMISE WITH GOD in the first place. But, Becuase I’m a stupid human I did that. It is clear to me that making a promise to God within itself is not a sin, there fore it’s not something to be forgiven of, and it says not to go to the master and beg Becuase you said you were a fool.

I plan on sticking to my promise. What should I tell these people. They won’t respect me, they want me to be who THEY want me to be. The day may be comming when they will take a monster drink and literally force me to touch it unintentionally Becuase it has already happened, made me cry, and I asked for forgiveness and IM SICK OF THIS SITUATION.

When you make a promise (extra biblical promise in your case) come up with a legal (not overly complicated) set of things to go along with it. You should try to go your entire life with out making extra biblical promises to Jesus. Making vows to help with life is a concept in just about every world religion. Balaam the sorcerer did this and this one of the reasons he had supernatural power.

If you break this promise the worst thing that will happen is you will die, and just you. You seem to be a christian so you'll go to heaven. That being said Jesus probably wants you to pick up you cross and suffer for him for another 50 or so years so it is unlikely he will kill you. Currently i'm enjoying life because i choose to enjoy life. I still make vows that last 3 days just as David made vows that lasted 3 days. You also have to make clauses for 3 day vows too just to be safe. Really the best advice is not to make vows at all. One option is you give up eating or video games for 3 days during the summer or while your not working. Over the course of your life you'll probably be tempted by alot worse things than this. You can't lose your salvation once your saved and it seems you already have saving faith in Jesus Christ. Listen to the others on this forum and don't make extra bibllical vows. Read the book of Judges because it covers some serious consequences of making vows you can't keep and in this case a judge had to kill his own daughter due to a stupid vow he made regarding things coming out of his own house. His daughter was a proto messiah in that she won her father's battle against his enemies. This was not ordained by God/Jesus.

Upvote 0

frogoon234

Feb 8, 2019
Lexington Park
✟5,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you make a promise (extra biblical promise in your case) come up with a legal (not overly complicated) set of things to go along with it. You should try to go your entire life with out making extra biblical promises to Jesus. Making vows to help with life is a concept in just about every world religion. Balaam the sorcerer did this and this one of the reasons he had supernatural power.

If you break this promise the worst thing that will happen is you will die, and just you. You seem to be a christian so you'll go to heaven. That being said Jesus probably wants you to pick up you cross and suffer for him for another 50 or so years so it is unlikely he will kill you. Currently i'm enjoying life because i choose to enjoy life. I still make vows that last 3 days just as David made vows that lasted 3 days. You also have to make clauses for 3 day vows too just to be safe. Really the best advice is not to make vows at all. One option is you give up eating or video games for 3 days during the summer or while your not working. Over the course of your life you'll probably be tempted by alot worse things than this. You can't lose your salvation once your saved and it seems you already have saving faith in Jesus Christ. Listen to the others on this forum and don't make extra bibllical vows. Read the book of Judges because it covers some serious consequences of making vows you can't keep and in this case a judge had to kill his own daughter due to a stupid vow he made regarding things coming out of his own house. His daughter was a proto messiah in that she won her father's battle against his enemies. This was not ordained by God/Jesus.

Jesus doesn't care about your vow and at worst when you get a car some day when your going down the highway you'll get a flat tire and you'll have to change it on the side of the road. Life is full of surprises. Never commit suicide because it will make your mother really sad. I'll see you in heaven buddy.

Upvote 0