Visit site
✟17,997.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was noticing recently that creationist sites such as ChristianAnswers.net often have all sorts of vapid cartoons that are intended to make fun of people who accept evolution. Evolutionists certainly aren’t without their own sense of humor, with sites such as FSDT as well as the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but it seems like we’re still lacking any actual comics devoted to making fun of creationists.

So with that in mind, I’ve created a comic about this of my own. If these characters are popular enough, I might consider starting a series about them.

2006-06-29.gif

Incidentally, the Prattmaster is based on an actual person who used to post here. I kind of doubt that anyone other than Jet Black and God Fearing Atheist will remember him, though.

What do the people here think? This took me about 15 hours to draw, so if I draw any more of these comics I probably won’t be able to manage it more often than once a month or so. Do you think it’s worthwhile anyway?

Aggie

Soldier of Knowledge
Jan 18, 2004
United States
Visit site
✟17,997.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I’m not so sure that Captain Occam would end up appearing in more comics than the Prattmaster, actually. There’s a definite limit to how many jokes I’ll be able to come up with about Occam’s Razor, but the possibilities of PRATT jokes are nearly endless.

Anyway, the Prattmaster is based on Cal, who debated here with me and GFA about two years ago. He posted what may have been every PRATT list that AiG had to offer about the origin of birds, and then left in a huff after GFA refuted them all with some help from me.

Upvote 0

Aggie

Soldier of Knowledge
Jan 18, 2004
United States
Visit site
✟17,997.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Can you tell that he’s using a giant version of this razor to destroy the PRATT list in the second-to-last panel? None of the panels show his razor in enough of a close-up to make it really clear what it is.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Aggie said:
Can you tell that he’s using a giant version of this razor to destroy the PRATT list in the second-to-last panel? None of the panels show his razor in enough of a close-up to make it really clear what it is.
How about having Captain Occam use a razor blade as his symbol? That would be much simplier and more recognizable.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Aggie said:

Yeah, I realized that after I had posted. I'd like to see a "history" comic that shows the creation of Captain Occam and where he gets his huge razor, his first contact with PRATT Master, etc. Then it wouldn't be a concern in future comics as to whether the huge razor is identifiable as such.

Not to put too much more work on your shoulders. ;)

Upvote 0

Aggie

Soldier of Knowledge
Jan 18, 2004
United States
Visit site
✟17,997.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Willtor said:
Yeah, I realized that after I had posted. I'd like to see a "history" comic that shows the creation of Captain Occam and where he gets his huge razor, his first contact with PRATT Master, etc. Then it wouldn't be a concern in future comics as to whether the huge razor is identifiable as such.

Not to put too much more work on your shoulders. ;)
I was already thinking of making more of these comics, so I don’t mind being given additional ideas. I’d have to come up with an amusing backstory for the characters before I could do a prequel strip, though.

Split Rock said:
How about having Captain Occam use a razor blade as his symbol? That would be much simplier and more recognizable.
The term is just “Occam’s Razor”, though. A razor blade on its own has a completely different set of connotations, some of which I don’t think fit the theme of this strip. But I still might be able to make the razor more realistic-looking in the next strip, if I make another one—I showed him using a really old-fashioned kind, and it might be easier to recognize if I went with a more modern type of razor instead.

Of course, I always just use electric clippers on my beard, so it’s not like I have an especially good sense of what razors look like nowadays.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lilandra

Princess-Majestrix
Dec 9, 2004
state of mind
Visit site
✟19,703.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Aggie said:
I was already thinking of making more of these comics, so I don’t mind being given additional ideas. I’d have to come up with an amusing backstory for the characters before I could do a prequel strip, though.

The term is just “Occam’s Razor”, though. A razor blade on its own has a completely different set of connotations, some of which I don’t think fit the theme of this strip. But I still might be able to make the razor more realistic-looking in the next strip, if I make another one—I showed him using a really old-fashioned kind, and it might be easier to recognize if I went with a more modern type of razor instead.

Of course, I always just use electric clippers on my beard, so it’s not like I have an especially good sense of what razors look like nowadays.

I don't know a razor blade would be more in keeping with Occam's razor.

It really isn't used to shave off unnecessary explanations. It slices them off cleanly.:)

I am also wandering why the PRATT character is more muscular. Does Occam dude engage in more mental pursuits?;)

Upvote 0

Aggie

Soldier of Knowledge
Jan 18, 2004
United States
Visit site
✟17,997.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
consideringlily said:
I am also wandering why the PRATT character is more muscular. Does Occam dude engage in more mental pursuits?;)
I just figured it would best fit the Prattmaster’s personality to make him look like the brutish type. I also have an idea for the evil creationist mastermind who’s his boss, and that character probably won’t be quite so muscular.

But no, I’m not going to say who that’ll be. I don’t want to spoil my own story, do I?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Willtor

Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Aggie said:
I just figured it would best fit the Prattmaster’s personality to make him look like the brutish type. I also have an idea for the evil creationist mastermind who’s his boss, and that character probably won’t be quite so muscular.

But no, I’m not going to say who that’ll be. I don’t want to spoil my own story, do I?

A caricature of Kent Hovind?

Upvote 0

Aggie

Soldier of Knowledge
Jan 18, 2004
United States
Visit site
✟17,997.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Willtor said:
A caricature of Kent Hovind?
I can’t believe you managed to guess.

Yeah, it’ll be Hovind. But it won’t exactly be a caricature of him—I’m going to use all the “evil mastermind” clichés that the James Bond movies invented for Ernst Stavro Blofeld. You know the sort of thing I’m talking about:

ad005.jpg

I probably won’t be showing Hovind’s face in the comics at all.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"But before I kill you, Mr. Occam, I want to tell you the details of my overly-sophisticated plan so that just in case you escape, you can pick one of any number of points in the veritable Rube Goldberg machine to foil."

Upvote 0