• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

I made an EVC comic.

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by Aggie, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Aggie

Aggie Soldier of Knowledge

+190
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Libertarian
    I was noticing recently that creationist sites such as ChristianAnswers.net often have all sorts of vapid cartoons that are intended to make fun of people who accept evolution. Evolutionists certainly aren’t without their own sense of humor, with sites such as FSDT as well as the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but it seems like we’re still lacking any actual comics devoted to making fun of creationists.

So with that in mind, I’ve created a comic about this of my own. If these characters are popular enough, I might consider starting a series about them.

[​IMG]

Incidentally, the Prattmaster is based on an actual person who used to post here. I kind of doubt that anyone other than Jet Black and God Fearing Atheist will remember him, though.

What do the people here think? This took me about 15 hours to draw, so if I draw any more of these comics I probably won’t be able to manage it more often than once a month or so. Do you think it’s worthwhile anyway?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Dal M.

Dal M. ...more things in heaven and earth, Horatio...

+158
    Agnostic
    Married
    I like it.

That said, I don't think the (presumably one-shot) Prattmaster should have a cooler costume than the (presumably recurring) hero. :)

And who's he based on? I've lurked for a while; I might remember.

3. Aggie

+190
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Libertarian
    I’m not so sure that Captain Occam would end up appearing in more comics than the Prattmaster, actually. There’s a definite limit to how many jokes I’ll be able to come up with about Occam’s Razor, but the possibilities of PRATT jokes are nearly endless.

Anyway, the Prattmaster is based on Cal, who debated here with me and GFA about two years ago. He posted what may have been every PRATT list that AiG had to offer about the origin of birds, and then left in a huff after GFA refuted them all with some help from me.

4. jwu

jwu Senior Member

+61
    Unitarian
    Single
    Great job!

Hey, i remember Cal!

5. Willtor

Willtor Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor

+1,405
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Others
    THAT is a funny comic. I like Captain Occam's logo.

6. Aggie

+190
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Libertarian
    Can you tell that he’s using a giant version of this razor to destroy the PRATT list in the second-to-last panel? None of the panels show his razor in enough of a close-up to make it really clear what it is.

7. Split Rock

Split Rock Conflation of Blathers

+649
    Agnostic
    Single
    How about having Captain Occam use a razor blade as his symbol? That would be much simplier and more recognizable.

8. Willtor

+1,405
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Others
    Yeah, I realized that after I had posted. I'd like to see a "history" comic that shows the creation of Captain Occam and where he gets his huge razor, his first contact with PRATT Master, etc. Then it wouldn't be a concern in future comics as to whether the huge razor is identifiable as such.

Not to put too much more work on your shoulders. ;)

9. Dr.GH

Dr.GH Doc WinAce fan

+100
    Taoist
    Well, you could have PRATT Master testify to Judge Jones, or present creationist dribble to a school bored.

Occam's Razor could have a sidekick named Occam's aftershave (There is a proscience internet guy using that moniker).

10. Aggie

+190
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Libertarian
    I was already thinking of making more of these comics, so I don’t mind being given additional ideas. I’d have to come up with an amusing backstory for the characters before I could do a prequel strip, though.

The term is just “Occam’s Razor”, though. A razor blade on its own has a completely different set of connotations, some of which I don’t think fit the theme of this strip. But I still might be able to make the razor more realistic-looking in the next strip, if I make another one—I showed him using a really old-fashioned kind, and it might be easier to recognize if I went with a more modern type of razor instead.

Of course, I always just use electric clippers on my beard, so it’s not like I have an especially good sense of what razors look like nowadays.

11. Lilandra

Lilandra Princess-Majestrix

+168
    Pantheist
    Private
    US-Others
    I don't know a razor blade would be more in keeping with Occam's razor.

It really isn't used to shave off unnecessary explanations. It slices them off cleanly.:)

I am also wandering why the PRATT character is more muscular. Does Occam dude engage in more mental pursuits?;)

12. I_Love_Cheese

I_Love_Cheese Veteran

+52
    Agnostic
    My token comment is to suggest you change the icon from a safety razor (boring) to a straight razor (the kind used for sliting throats.

[​IMG]

13. Adriac

Adriac Well-Known Member

+64
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    That's what makes it funneh, duh :p

14. Aggie

+190
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Libertarian
    I just figured it would best fit the Prattmaster’s personality to make him look like the brutish type. I also have an idea for the evil creationist mastermind who’s his boss, and that character probably won’t be quite so muscular.

But no, I’m not going to say who that’ll be. I don’t want to spoil my own story, do I?

15. SteelEdge

SteelEdge Sharper than Iron

+5
    Atheist
    Private
    Reading that comic reminded me of Viz superhero Brown Bottle* whose powers were activated by drinking a vast amount of alcohol in a short space of time.

* A little profanity in the link.

16. Willtor

+1,405
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Others
    A caricature of Kent Hovind?

17. Aggie

+190
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Libertarian
    I can’t believe you managed to guess.

Yeah, it’ll be Hovind. But it won’t exactly be a caricature of him—I’m going to use all the “evil mastermind” clichés that the James Bond movies invented for Ernst Stavro Blofeld. You know the sort of thing I’m talking about:

[​IMG]

I probably won’t be showing Hovind’s face in the comics at all.

18. Willtor

+1,405
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Others
    "But before I kill you, Mr. Occam, I want to tell you the details of my overly-sophisticated plan so that just in case you escape, you can pick one of any number of points in the veritable Rube Goldberg machine to foil."

19. moogoob

moogoob Resident Deist

+39
    Deist
    CA-Others
    Make more! I seriously enjoyed this one. :) Kent Hovind (AKA The Evil Doctor Dino) would be a great addition.

20. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes Seeker for life, probably

+269
    Seeker
    Single
    I suggest an episode where Dembski is put in a Rube-Goldbergish deathtrap, trying to escape by breaking single parts - but since it's not irreducibly complex, it functions without them.