• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

I love this new trend in the "skeptic/atheist" community

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Andrei D, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Andrei D

Andrei D Active Member

+372
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    This is very close to my own journey away from Orthodoxy, to atheism and then back. Such simple truths and so hard to get them back. It is amazing how many recent re-converts from atheism are in the comment section as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+11,067
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    will definitely look at this vid when I get the time, thanks!

3. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,142
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Thanks for posting. I've been listening to research and comments on related things and this sounds like it would perfectly complement what I've been listening to.

4. ATL-GA-STATE-SPORTSFANx☦️

ATL-GA-STATE-SPORTSFANx☦️ Chinese-Mongolian Orthodox

+2
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Republican
    This vid seems interesting.

5. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 sinner profoundly blessed by God

+5,237
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I’ll continue to say (speculation) that I think a lot of atheism comes from not properly having been introduced to the Lord. Juridical, justice-driven, wrath-focused prosperity gospel-minded weird understandings of the faith have been the norm in Christianity for decades. I don’t blame people for finding that untenable. But atheism is not the answer. It’s an overreaction and people know better in their heart of hearts imho.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  6. The Wabash Cannonball

The Wabash Cannonball Robert

+12
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I think this is likely for most atheists. Most of it is a reaction to the strange, pseudo-Christian beliefs that a lot of people hold. (A good example I've heard personally is that having the chance to steal something is a "gift from god").

7. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+2,131
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Stephen R. Donaldson, anyone?

8. Andrei D

Andrei D Active Member

+372
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Never heard. Looks like he writes fantasy? Should I check it out?

9. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+2,131
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Fantasy for intellectuals. But he does have an axe to grind against Christians, who he portrays as radical hypocrite fundamentalists. He was the son of missionary doctors to India, had some experience of leprosy, learned that lepers can’t allow themselves to fantasize about health, and wrote an entire popular series about a leper protagonist who falls into a fantasy world that he can’t allow himself to believe in.

I mentioned it in response to the comment about pseudo-Christian beliefs.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Andrei D

Andrei D Active Member

+372
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
  11. MariaJLM

MariaJLM Crazy Cat Lady

+1,414
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    CA-Others
    This is true. It's why I was an anti-Christian edgelord for years.

12. The Faceless

The Faceless Has A Face

+336
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Protestantism, especially the western, right wing, cash grab, hellfire and wrath type, have plagued Christianity for a long time. It isn't real Christianity. They've hijacked the faith and turned it into something else completely, and I suspect those responsible will answer for it, both for their falsehoods and for turning people away from Christ.

That's not to say their Christians aren't genuine Christians, as I'm sure most of them are, but many of their leaders are snakes, many amongst their laity misuse Holy Scripture to justify hatred, and their religion is something that looks nothing like early Christianity.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. ArmyMatt

+11,067
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    or, like the Joel Osteens of the world, you water down the faith and dilute it to a Christianity modern people want to hear, but not the kind they need to hear.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. ArmyMatt

+11,067
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    there is a reason John Calvin is condemned by name at one of our councils.

15. Sorgen

Sorgen New Member

+19
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Psychology is interesting when it comes to faith. As we develop, we begin to realize the contradictions within our faith. This might cause us a period of doubt, or years as an agnostic or atheist (or even a lifetime). As we become more accepting of contradictions in our lives in general, we become more accepting of a complex faith.

That means that even with the best exposure to religion a person might have, they can still end up being an atheist.

16. Sorgen

Sorgen New Member

+19
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    What worse is that they deliberately ignore church history. There is a wealth of knowledge they should be a little curious about, but they have been taught to ignore it. All they want is a bible and an inspirational book by an uneducated, untrained author with no understanding of the fathers.

17. Zummi

Zummi ICXC~NIKA

+60
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Exactly my thoughts. There are so many apathetic people that have turned away from Christ due to the watered down Protestant religion they have been exposed to, coupled with the seemingly endless scandal that plagues the Roman Catholic Church, and the modernizing forces within the RCC that are slowly "Protestantizing" the Mass and theology.

If this was my only experience of Christianity I would be turned away and turned off IMMENSELY.

EDIT:
    I'm sorry but this makes me SO mad! Can you imagine an Orthodox Deacon, Priest, or Bishop BEING ANNOYED BY PEOPLE ASKING THEM TO PRAY FOR THEM!?!? ARRRRGHHHHH

18. Andrei D

Andrei D Active Member

+372
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Yes, but that's neither here nor there. I grew up with priests directly asking for money to pray for you, so? Or being so drunk they fell in the grave. And bishops kicking people out of their land with fake papers and with corrupt cops. It doesn't mean the Church is bad, it just means we are all fallen.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  19. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,142
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I'm so glad God knows I'm weak. It is wrong I suppose, but if that had been my experience of Orthodoxy, I might not be Orthodox.

I'm SO thankful once again for my parish, and my priest, and others who have helped me. So that when I did peek up and see those that could discourage me, I don't equate them with the Church itself.