Dec 2, 2019
✟225,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I watch him sometimes. I'd say he is good for things like, strengthening believers who are going through life's different challenges. He encourages people, when ever they are in doubt or failing to see Christ in their difficult situations. I don't think he is good though for christians, who are seeking to study to understand God's word on a deeper level.

I do however, love the positive declaration he makes, before each sermon, where he says "This is my bible". & I think he learnt it from his late father.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ever seen a church that wasn't criticized by others? I havent.

Think we should asks for God's guidance where to attend or view and make these kind of decisions for yourself.

I've read some folks criticized Billy Graham in his early ministry years because he had curly hair. Also, Christians are easily offended. I've seen one spoken Amen and on another occasion a few tears set others off because they weren't exhibiting self control.

"And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: 25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." Heb 10

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Osteen comes from a certain segment of the Christian movement, so of course people whose background is in a different denomination, etc. are likely to call him a heretic or something like that.

But he's best known for his TV broadcasts, not for what goes on at Lakewood Church on a daily basis. That being the case, he meets a certain need, and he does it well. The same can be said of Joyce Meyer, who is similarly criticized on theological grounds.

But for people who are NOT strongly rooted in the beliefs and practices of one denomination or another, who are searching, not regular church members anywhere, and are uncertain about God in their lives...these TV preachers probably do serve a need.

That's not to say that ALL such TV evangelists fit that mold, but these two probably do, and a few others who could be named. That's why it is possible to disagree with some of their theology but, at the same time, acknowledge the good that they do in reaching people, and that this is something not every local pastor can do.

Upvote 0

Susie~Q

John 3:16 God bless you.
Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2011
South Island-New Zealand
✟271,990.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I really like him, I know he gets criticized by many, but hey, so do other ministers. I think his messages are very good and upbeat, I have learned a lot from him and his sermons have really helped to alleviate my fears over certain issues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tjrevelations

Mar 7, 2022
USA west
✟17,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I used to listen to his podcasts. The first few were encouraging, positive, optimistic.

The more I listened however, the more I got the impression he avoided any discussion of difficult or controversial issues. He seemed not to be able to acknowledge the severity of problems all around us.

Then, he started holding services in an empty arena, in front of 20,000 empty seats. It just seemed so bizarre I just couldn't take his church seriously anymore.

• Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello! When I was in AOG we used to watch his DVDs in the home fellowship, this would be a good few years back.

The only question I would ask is that while much of what he says seems to be very encouraging, motivational, for example living your best life now, fulfilling your dreams or being all you can be. Is this in the end the right direction of travel? It seems quite human-focused.

The focus IMHO should be on God, on the Kingdom of God and his righteousness. God is not here to do our will and fulfil our dreams. We are here to do God's will. Our desires and our dreams are quite often sinful and to be repented of.

“Here I am, I have come to do your will.” (Hebrews 10:9). Even the Lord Jesus in the garden said 'not my will but yours be done'.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Eye4Eye26

Romans 8:28
Aug 20, 2013
Bethlehem Pennsylvania
✟9,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I really enjoy watching their services online. His messages are encouraging, uplifting & beautiful. People judge him while they have a log in their own eye & it never stopped him from continuing to spread his loving messages. I respect that about Joel.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0