USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I've seen or heard statements like that for the past decade. As the years go by I hear it more frequently.

Although Ive heard this from all types of people, the common thread is that these people, a) think that statement is logically sound, and b) they think that they stand on some moral higher ground.

What say you? Is the title of this thread contradictory to what scripture teaches?

Reactions: dhh712

FrankDux

Dec 12, 2016
USA
✟14,876.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I think that people have wanted to distance themselves from that group that has slowly formed, ( false prophets ) and as that group has grown larger, the ones becoming turned off by them grows as well

There are just a ridiculous amount of people having a good ol time making money with the Bible....

Or is it my imagination ?

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟60,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've seen or heard statements like that for the past decade. As the years go by I hear it more frequently.

Although Ive heard this from all types of people, the common thread is that these people, a) think that statement is logically sound, and b) they think that they stand on some moral higher ground.

What say you? Is the title of this thread contradictory to what scripture teaches?
It is considering the bible tells us to forsake not the assembling of ourselves together, and to be a body of christ not function alone. I feel the problem is people don't understand that not every church is God's church. So if they find our a pastor they were under is using their money for other things, they get feelings hurt in a church, the church salvation method they used didn't work etc. they assume church in general isn't good. IK many people who have had this experience or parents who have had it and thus tell their kids you don't need church the bible alone is good.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
It's more of an anti-organized religion statement against the arrogant, legalistic, holier-than-thou attitudes that a number of people and groups calling themselves Christians seem to have. I can certainly sympathize with the statement myself at times even though I am Christian and belong to an organized church denomination.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
"The church is a harlot. But she is my mother." - Augustine

Jesus commands us to love his church and be part of it. Jesus loves his church and gave his life for it. If we love Jesus I don't understand how we cannot also love his church.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A Church which truly serves Christ and others would be a great place to be.

Maybe those people who say that have yet to see a Church like that. My old Church in 1999 was a good Church. Served each other, the community and worshipped in truth. I miss that church.

My last Church not so. Still learning about the new one. It's a big Church... things seem to be sound.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigger45

Romans 12:2…be transformed…
Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,264,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
We all fall short of the glory of God, collectively and individuality. So to me a person saying they love Jesus but not His church are revealing more about themselves then they are about His church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
A church which truly serves Christ and others would be a great place to be.

Maybe those people who say that have yet to see a Church like that. My old church in 1999 was a good church. Served each other, the community and worshipped in truth. I miss that church.

My last church not so.

This is true. A number of people have been very badly harmed by organized religion, and usually Christian-based organizations when it comes to Western countries. People get scammed out of their money, told that they are going to get sick and die and go to hell if they don't tithe to the church, publicly shamed in front of large groups if they don't follow some rule or the other, or if they don't support various political ideologies, and even outright physically and mentally abused, all in the name of Jesus. A lot of Christians (or people calling themselves Christians) are horrible witnesses for actual Christ-like behavior, so many people ultimately get to thinking that it's better to just avoid any organized church altogether and just love Jesus on their own, and that's if they didn't get so traumatized or revolted that they just washed their hands of Christianity altogether, never actually getting to know the real love of Jesus. It's tragic.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello? Church = Body of Christ. Capital C!!

Perhaps some get that confused. Perhaps some love our Lord yet don't like some folks in the place of assembly (church; small c) they are attending. Maybe they don't like the format.....

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello? Church = Body of Christ. Capital C!!

Perhaps some get that confused. Perhaps some love our Lord yet don't like some folks in the place of assembly (church; small c) they are attending. Maybe they don't like the format.....
Thank you for the clarification. My posts have had both capitalised and uncapitalised due to that confusion.

God bless you!

Actually still confused. Is it a capital or not?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟314,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What a lot of people don't get is the people ( The Body of Christ) is His church. You gotta love your brethren in Christ, brothers and sisters, In Christ or you yourself aren't cutting it. The buildings and denominations are not his Church, they are man made. They certainly can help the environment though. Jesus plants His seed in each of us and we grow into His church.

Edit: Oops someone else was saying the same thing as I posted. Oh well.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think it was Mahatma Gandhi who said:
“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
This the more common phrase. Which points to the importance of we Christians, walking the talk, showing our lives as witnesses of Christ.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I think it was Mahatma Gandhi who said:
“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

Interesting to get a quote from a false region.

Mor to the point, and you may have answered this, is it Ok to "love Christ" but not His church?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
It is considering the bible tells us to forsake not the assembling of ourselves together, and to be a body of christ not function alone. I feel the problem is people don't understand that not every church is God's church. So if they find our a pastor they were under is using their money for other things, they get feelings hurt in a church, the church salvation method they used didn't work etc. they assume church in general isn't good. IK many people who have had this experience or parents who have had it and thus tell their kids you don't need church the bible alone is good.

There are LOTs of wolves who have com into leadership in churches. Does that means we can forsake the Church?

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0