Jan 19, 2017
England
✟16,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Today I saw a horrible thread on Facebook about the unimaginable torture a human inflicted on a dog.

I've very, very strong feelings about animal abuse and these posts usually affect me for a few days.

But today, having seen this post, I couldn't help but think about how God - my supposedly all loving, all protecting God could allow something so horrific, so unimaginable to happen to a such helpless, defenceless, innocent animal.

The more I thought about it the angrier I got at God for allowing this to happen and I could feel my faith slipping.

I was so angry and so hurt for these animals that I told God out loud that I was angry at him for turning his back on those animals and for that reason I was turning my back on him.

I suppose I'm looking for support - for answers, maybe. Has anyone ever experienced this? Why does God let this happen?

I'm a fairly logical person but have always allowed myself to believe in this higher being - God - without any real proof of his existence. But I can't think of any logical reasoning as to why God would let this happen in his world.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Before you heard of this evil act, you already knew there was evil in the world, right? So this didn't really present any new information or evidence for or against your faith, did it? Just a strong emotional reaction (which I don't blame you for at all, I share it with you.)

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2017
England
✟16,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So you hold God in heaven responsible for man using his free will to do evil?

I dont hold God responsible for the evil in the world. I hold him responsible for not intervening, for not saying enough is enough.
I know people will say "well God gave us free will on earth" but why won't he intervene when he sees the evil and destruction we have caused.

When something good happens to us, we give thanks to God - we believe it is because of God that this great thing has happened. But when something bad happens - we what? We say "well God did give free will" it doesn't make sense to me.

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Today I saw a horrible thread on Facebook about the unimaginable torture a human inflicted on a dog.

I've very, very strong feelings about animal abuse and these posts usually affect me for a few days.

But today, having seen this post, I couldn't help but think about how God - my supposedly all loving, all protecting God could allow something so horrific, so unimaginable to happen to a such helpless, defenceless, innocent animal.

The more I thought about it the angrier I got at God for allowing this to happen and I could feel my faith slipping.

I was so angry and so hurt for these animals that I told God out loud that I was angry at him for turning his back on those animals and for that reason I was turning my back on him.

I suppose I'm looking for support - for answers, maybe. Has anyone ever experienced this? Why does God let this happen?

I'm a fairly logical person but have always allowed myself to believe in this higher being - God - without any real proof of his existence. But I can't think of any logical reasoning as to why God would let this happen in his world.
That's the best example you could come up with? What about when a little child is mistreated? I mean, if you're going to impugn the character of God, you could a least give an example of a creature that is made in His image, right?

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is a difficult thing and is a major stumbling block for many. If God is such a lovibg God why does He allow oain and suffering?

I can think of many reasons, the main one being that it is through pain and suffering that we learn.

If your dog pees on your floor and you stick their nose in it does that mean you do not love your dog or does it mean you are trying to teach them something? If you spank your child does that mean yoy do not love them or that you are trying to teach them something? If you allow your child to ride a bike and they fall down and hurt themselves does that mean you did not love them for alliwing them to?

At what point does allowing something to happen become non-love? At what point does stopping someone from excercising free will become non-love?

Would you rather spend your existance in bed because in getting up you might hury, or hurt others? Would you force your child to stay in bed so they don't get hurt, or hurt others?

It is my opinion that God does, indeed, stop a lot of pain and suffering in the world but we are not aware of it because He stopped it. God does, however, let a lot of pain and suffering to happen because someone, somewhere, is going to learn from it.

Perhaps God allowed these animals to be hurt so that you would be upset by it and learn, perhaps not, who can fathom the mind of God?

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I dont hold God responsible for the evil in the world. I hold him responsible for not intervening, for not saying enough is enough.
I know people will say "well God gave us free will on earth" but why won't he intervene when he sees the evil and destruction we have caused.
If God were to force this individual to not make certain choices, that would be Him taking away this individual's free will. God is not a tyrant like that- He lets men make their choices.
When something good happens to us, we give thanks to God - we believe it is because of God that this great thing has happened. But when something bad happens - we what? We say "well God did give free will" it doesn't make sense to me.
If someone gives a good gift, that is them giving the gift (though it can be God prompting behind it).
If someone gives a bad gift, that is them giving the gift (and not God prompting behind it).

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
It is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment... - Hebrews 9:27

God has let man have free reign over planet earth... However... He will hold us accountable for our actions here. So those who are cruel will have their day in judgement.

For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.- Romans 8:22

The whole creation groans and travails over the sin that man has brought unto the world. I visit the animal shelter where the prisoners take care of the animals, and both man and creature alike are pitiful creatures to behold.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,216.00
Faith
Pentecostal

Why did you lose faith because of this? Haven't you been paying attention to what ISIS and their ilk have been doing to human beings over the last number of years? Or how about Stalin did to his people or about the genocide in Africa? There are any number of reasons to lose faith in God over the cruelty of people. Why did cruelty to animals do it for you?

Faith in God is not about what he allows or what he could prevent. It's about the faith that in the end of all things he is still God and will reward those who are righteous and punish the wicked. Live your life for God and show the world how a believer trusts and has faith in the midst of horrible conditions or calamity. Love people, be righteous and just no matter what. The bible says that without faith it is impossible to please him. For he that draws near to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them who seek him out. Hebrews 11:6.

These people, the wicked ones will not be rewarded unless they turn from their ways and seek after God.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's the best example you could come up with? What about when a little child is mistreated? I mean, if you're going to impugn the character of God, you could a least give an example of a creature that is made in His image, right?
Some persons find it much easier to love animals than to love humans because animals have a certain beguiling innocence which humans lack. I once fell in love with a woman who loved her animals more than she loved me. I had to either accept it or leave the relationship. That's how strongly some people feel about animals.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Catharinealice91, I have a story for you--

When I was in preschool, one of the individuals in my life made a horrible choice to abuse me. Not just once but over and over again. And not just me, but other children as well. This individual was a monster whom had forsaken God and caused Him pain beyond our mortal understanding.

Why did God not smite this man down where He stood? Because God still loved Him- in fact God so loved this individual that He sent His Son to save this wretch. God loved this individual so much to beg him to forsake him evil and come back to Him. But He would not force this individual to return to Him, nor force this man's hand in any way.

But what abut me- doesn't God love me to? Heck yeah! Words cannot describe how much God loves me- how much He rescued me from that pain and misery. How He saved my life and remade it. He did not force me to be rescued, but held out His hand and asked me if I would like to take it. Sometimes I said no (cause I can be stubborn like that), but He always kept holding it out, kept offering me His warmth and unmeasurable love. And man, it is wonderful.

Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is no reason to lose faith, and if you really feel like that I extend my hand and the hand of the Admiralty to help you regain it.

Unfortunately there is evil in this world, those who are incapable of understanding how others feel, or simply do not care. If I saw that video/thread I know I personally would probably be our for blood.

My initial love and caring about dogs is about 10000% more than humans. Is that pretty messed up? Yeah, I know it is, but I am a dog person through and through, and have seen more love from dogs than humans at times in my personal life.

However, and I can completely understand why you chose to get angry that way, God gave us all a free will, whether good or bad, and what we do with that free will is not God's responsibility, but our own.

Turn your anger towards those that committed the crime, not God. I am sure that God is also heartbroken by their actions, and all those in this world who commit evil acts.

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Some persons find it much easier to love animals than to love humans because animals have a certain beguiling innocence which humans lack. I once fell in love with a woman who loved her animals more than she loved me. I had to either accept it or leave the relationship. That's how strongly some people feel about animals.
I understand. :sigh:

"And others are the ones sown among thorns. They are those who hear the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches and the desires for other things enter in and choke the word, and it proves unfruitful." ~ Mark 4:18-19

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I'm sure you don't want a long lecture, but consider these 3 points:
(1) The NT encourages us to acknowledge and express our anger, but to do so without sinning: “In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry (Ephesians 4:26)." The Psalms are full of angry, frustrated complaints to God over injustice , cruelty, and feelings of divine neglect.

(2) The reason for your anger tells me that you are not necessarily sinning by expressing your outcome to God and even irrationally taking it out on God. But sin lurks at the door, so be careful not to grieve the Holy Spirit.

(3) Yes, God created a universe as a place of soul-making in which free will must be honored. Still, the belief that God micro-manages the universe makes it very hard to believe in a holy, just, and loving God. But the Bible teaches that God does not micro-manage the universe, but rather allows it to run naturally according to its laws: e. g. "All are victims of time and chance (Ecclesiastes 9:11)."

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If that's all it takes for you to lose faith, I can only assume your faith was pretty weak in the first place.

By the way, under the circumstances I recommend you never Google Darren Vick dogs.

Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If that's all it takes for you to lose faith, I can only assume your faith was pretty weak in the first place.

By the way, under the circumstances I recommend you never Google Darren Vick dogs.

I would actually advise against it, at least as a dog lover, because as I said I would be out for blood.

I almost get to "an eye for an eye" point when it comes to cruelty towards dogs.

• Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2017
England
✟16,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I've turned to my fellow Christians for support not for judgement.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2017
England
✟16,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've turned to my fellow Christians for support not for judgement.

Nor am I looking for mockery but advising I don't google something to do with the ill treatment of animals. You don't need to be so nasty.

• Agree
Reactions: gudz23
Upvote 0