SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
'I lost my eye': The price of protesting US police brutality
Anthony Evans says his hands were in the air: "You know, to show that I wasn't a threat." The young Black man, who had just turned 26 years old, had been protesting outside the police department headquarters in Austin, Texas, on May 31, when he was separated from his twin brother. The evening had passed relatively peacefully until that moment, Evans said, but as he walked back to try to find his twin, he noticed the tension escalating between police and protesters.

"As I put my hands in the air and started to jog, I got shot in the face, and then, I went down to my knees," he told Al Jazeera. He could not be entirely sure what hit him at the time: a rubber bullet or beanbag round. But it had been fired by police, he said. Acting on impulse, he first moved to shield a nearby woman from the incoming fire, but then, she noticed that he was the one bleeding and went to get help.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The jaw story is about Anthony Evans, age 26 from station KVUE, channel 24 Austin, an ABC affiliated Here are the pictures of his jaw from a fundraiser set up for him. Anthony Evans Medical Fund organized by Edward Evans Jr
Al Jazerra is a Middle East network. Seems to me they have got it wrong.
Hopefully, he will have a full recovery, though there was a permanent titanium plate placed in his jaw.

There are 2 injuries to 2 different people in the article, the one you mention with the broken jaw and Brandon Saenz, the person who lost an eye.

Reactions: Richard T
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There are 2 injuries to 2 different people in the article, the one you mention with the broken jaw and Brandon Saenz, the person who lost an eye.
Ok, thank you. I did not read the whole article. I will edit my posts but still include the second injury.

Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0