• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

jelena.j4

Nov 26, 2021
✟20,507.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, so i went to a birthday party tonight, it was from my dear friend, she means a lot to me and we are good friends. She asked me if i like the place, i said yes (even through i didnt really like how it looked). I feel bad for lying but telling her that i dont like how that place looks would hurt her. :/
Now what do i do?

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hey, so i went to a birthday party tonight, it was from my dear friend, she means a lot to me and we are good friends. She asked me if i like the place, i said yes (even through i didnt really like how it looked). I feel bad for lying but telling her that i dont like how that place looks would hurt her. :/
Now what do i do?
You confessed to us. We are to confess to each other and repent sincerely and strive not to do it again.

You just confessed to us.
And you seem to repent.
Will you strive not to lie again? Do you hate to lie?

If so, then pray for forgiveness “Lord Jesus Christ Son of God have mercy on me a sinner”.

and you’ll be okay.

Reactions: jelena.j4
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do i have to tell my friend the truth. The birthday party is over plus i dont want to hurt her :(

If she doesn't ask you again you don't have to say anything.

Plus must women are well aware of social lies and can tell when being told them.
Why they then ask I don't know. eg 'does my bum look big in this? ' They know there bottom is big, but want reasurance they can ware, what ever that item of lothing is!

Upvote 0

Tionbai

Sep 12, 2019
Oslo
✟14,667.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think these situations are delicate because you want to always be honest, and yet there is a way to say something to someone in a gentle way.

Colossians 4:6: 6 Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how it is necessary for you to answer each one.

Proverbs 16:24: Pleasant sayings are a honeycomb,
sweetness to the soul and healing to the bones.

In Proverbs here, I don't think the point is that you should lie to please a person's ears, but rather it's making 2 points: 1. A saying that is pleasant to someone's ears is like a honeycomb and healing to the bones, and 2. You can state a fact still with the desire to lift someone up. You can tell it in a way that is not perceived as unnecessary, but honest and graceful.

Normally in these situations, I would just picture something about the house that I find nice, and respond to that. That is if I consider the idea to be purely subjective. I can try to imagine the place from an objective point of view: Is it neat, structured, harmonized, or what-not. Just because I don't like green doesn't mean I can make a claim to say that the place IS NOT nice looking. I could add that green is not my favorite color, but I like how the person matched the pillows and the curtains, or something like that.

However, if I consider the place to be objectively not nice for whatever reason, then I would be more inclined to address it.

What exactly about the place did you not like? It will be easier to answer if you elaborate on the situation a bit. :)

Upvote 0