I know Roy Moore. He’s always been a con artist.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,423,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...revealed for the fraud he is: Moore misrepresents American, Evangelical and Baptist values.

"The Republican Senate nominee has fashioned an entire career out of subterfuge and self-misrepresentation — as a constitutional authority, as a Baptist and as a spokesman for evangelical values. The recent allegations of sexual misconduct, together with his many specious statements over the years — that the First Amendment guarantees religious freedom only for Christians, for example, or that many communities in the United States stagger under the burden of Islamic sharia law — underscore both his hypocrisy and his tenuous grasp of reality."
- Randall Balmer, Historian and author of several books on Evangelicals

Perspective | I know Roy Moore. He’s always been a con artist.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟700,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The author has never said a good word about anyone or any action of the Religious Right, as he calls them, in over 27 years.

Why should anyone believe him?

To balance this out, shall we go to an equally partisan right source?

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟905,276.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The author has never said a good word about anyone or any action of the Religious Right, as he calls them, in over 27 years.

Do you have any reason to believe he is being mendacious other then his lack of praise for the religious right?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Those sources have been quite vocal. So neither pro-Moore or anti-Moore can claim they have not been heard.

Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟700,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you have any reason to believe he is being mendacious other then his lack of praise for the religious right?

Mendacious, no because I thinks he believes what he writes so he views it as truth. He is as far left as Breitbart is far right. His truthfulness according to what he sees and perceives is not in question.

It is the accuracy or balance of his views that are skewed.

No one group is 100% wrong continuously and that is how he has always portrayed the religious fight.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,423,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sure, go ahead and find a partisan "right" source who can present a historically accurate counter- argument to Blamer who has rejected what some Evangelicals have become over the last two decades:

"...Moore does not represent the evangelical movement he claims to herald. Historically, evangelicalism once stood for people on the margins, those Jesus called “the least of these.” Evangelicals in the 19th century advocated public education, so that children from less-affluent families could toe the first rungs of the ladder toward socioeconomic stability. They worked for prison reform and the abolition of slavery. They advocated equal rights, including voting rights, for women and the rights of workers to organize. The agenda of 19th- and early-20th-century evangelicals is a far cry from that of Moore and the religious right. I leave it to others to determine which version of “evangelical values” better comports with the words of Jesus, who instructed his followers to visit the prisoners, feed the hungry, welcome the stranger and care for the needy."

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟700,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Combine that with the audacity of his title.

I know Roy more.

Are they personal acquaintances?

Has he met with him and discussed his beliefs?

Or is he just one that knows about a person but really doesn’t know them?

I could say I know you but my knowledge is limited to this form so I can say I know about you but I can’t say I know you

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟700,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure, go ahead and find a partisan "right" source who can present a historically accurate counter- argument to Blamer who has rejected what some Evangelicals have become over the last two decades:

You do realize that his quote is his view, an opinion, nothing more.

He is not part of the Religious Right, just sits in judgement on them over what he perceives, yet what is this Ordained minister doing differently?

Beyond a two decade complaint that the right are not presenting the Gospel, what has he done to do so?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,423,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do realize that his quote is his view, an opinion, nothing more.

Yes, a well-informed opinion.

Dr. Balmer has published more than a dozen books, including Redeemer: The Life of Jimmy Carter and The Making of Evangelicalism: From Revivalism to Politics and Beyond. His second book, Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory: A Journey into the Evangelical Subculture in America, now in its fifth edition, was made into an award-winning, three-part documentary for PBS. Dr. Balmer wrote and hosted that series as well as a two-part series on creationism and a documentary on Billy Graham.

Randall Balmer, Dartmouth College

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟905,276.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Mendacious, no because I thinks he believes what he writes so he views it as truth. He is as far left as Breitbart is far right. His truthfulness according to what he sees and perceives is not in question.

It is the accuracy or balance of his views that are skewed.

No one group is 100% wrong continuously and that is how he has always portrayed the religious fight.

Thank you for explaining.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Does he need any other reason?

Those who criticize The Party are the enemy. Those who don't praise The Party enough are, in effect, criticizing it.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟905,276.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Does he need any other reason?

Those who criticize The Party are the enemy. Those who don't praise The Party enough are, in effect, criticizing it.

Let us not be to quick to assign nefarious purpose to those who disagree with us. The enemy, as you correctly identify, is tribal thinking. We should be careful lest we fall into that trap ourselves. :)

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

...for one, there are numerous other sources that corroborate the information and it's based on things that Moore is on the record saying.

For example:

The bit criticizing him for saying the first amendment only protects Christianity...

Here are Moore's actual words (and there are numerous sources reporting it, and video of him saying it)
“Let’s get real. Let’s learn our history. Let’s stop playing games,” said Moore at the Jackson, Miss. event.

“Everybody, to include the U.S. Supreme Court, has been deceived as to one little word in the First Amendment called ‘religion.’ They can’t define it,” the state’s chief justice said. “They can’t define it the way Mason, Madison and even the United State Supreme Court defined it, ‘the duties we owe to the creator and the manner of discharging it.’ They don’t want to do that, because that acknowledges a creator god.”

“Buddha didn’t create us. Mohammed didn’t create us. It’s the god of the Holy Scriptures,” said Moore.

As far as him making the false claims about how "Americans are suffering under Sharia Law"
(again, numerous sources and video confirm this)
Moore responded, "There are communities under Sharia law right now in our country. Up in Illinois. Christian communities; I don’t know if they may be Muslim communities. But Sharia law is a little different from American law. It is founded on religious concepts."

Stein pressed Moore to name the communities under Sharia law. He responded, "Well, there’s Sharia law, as I understand it, in Illinois, Indiana -- up there. I don't know."

Later in the interview, Stein tried again, asking Moore to be specific and name which communities he was referring to. Moore said, "I was informed that there were. But if they’re not, it doesn’t matter. Sharia law incorporates Muslim law into the law.

There are instances where it's perfectly valid to criticize a source...however, there are other times where the leaning of the source doesn't matter. For example, if Fox news reports that 2+2=4, that's not conservative bias, if CNN reports that triangles have 3 sides, that's not liberal bias.

Facts are facts. In this instance, the issues being pointed out about Moore are facts that we have video footage to confirm, the author's history with the religious right is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How could he be a con artist? He is a devout Christian or so everyone says.
Church is a great cover for criminal activity. Partly because Christians can be susceptible to being too trusting of a brother or sister. Churches are not subject to much regulation and are often operated by laypeople.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I know democrats. I was here when Roy first got famous, and I was glad to see that theocrat go.

But that was before it was made apparent the extent to which the dems had gotten in bed with islamic theocrats.

We have been utterly betrayed by the left and their red/green alliance.

Sounds like Royboy is now the big hero... Islam Delenda Est, after all.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

Perhaps there is nothing good about them?

Upvote 0