I keep switching in my convictions

123flower

Apr 22, 2012
✟25,520.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I’ve had convictions about several things that might be wrong for a christian. Like wearing makeup and watching movies or dressing immodest. But I don’t know where to draw the line.

Like for example, for years I had the conviction that makeup is wrong and because of that I’ve thrown away my makeup (i only have a very small collection and mostly only wear lipstick). Then I had the conviction I was exaggerating so I bought makeup again. Then I had the conviction that it was wrong and throw it away again.

Also with movies, I can understand that horror movies and movies with sex scenes are wrong, but I already feel convicted if there are very little swearing in movies and then think all movies are just bad and that I cannot watch movies anymore.

And with clothes, for years I felt convicted that immodest clothes are wrong, then I’ve lost my conviction and thought I was exaggerating again, then I thought I only should wear long dresses, then I thought wearing pants modestly are also okay. I just keep switching in my conviction.

I feel like I’m not stable in my convictions and still don’t know what is good or wrong in christian life.

I also have obsessive compulsive disorder (ocd). Maybe that plays a part in my switching.

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The basic guidelines is that of emphasis. Emphasis on the inner qualities...

1 Peter 3:3 KJV
[3] Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
123flower, what you are describing happens to a lot of us. It's because we care about doing right. Otherwise, none of us would bother with it so much.

In time, after all the analyses and second-guessings are done, the way you feel in your heart is the right way will just settle in and be comfortable.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’ve had convictions about several things that might be wrong for a christian. Like wearing makeup and watching movies or dressing immodest. But I don’t know where to draw the line.

Like for example, for years I had the conviction that makeup is wrong and because of that I’ve thrown away my makeup (i only have a very small collection and mostly only wear lipstick). Then I had the conviction I was exaggerating so I bought makeup again. Then I had the conviction that it was wrong and throw it away again.

Also with movies, I can understand that horror movies and movies with sex scenes are wrong, but I already feel convicted if there are very little swearing in movies and then think all movies are just bad and that I cannot watch movies anymore.

And with clothes, for years I felt convicted that immodest clothes are wrong, then I’ve lost my conviction and thought I was exaggerating again, then I thought I only should wear long dresses, then I thought wearing pants modestly are also okay. I just keep switching in my conviction.

I feel like I’m not stable in my convictions and still don’t know what is good or wrong in christian life.

I also have obsessive compulsive disorder (ocd). Maybe that plays a part in my switching.

I feel it is ok to watch movies as a Christian. There is a verse in Ecclesiasties it states:

Ecc 7:16-18 So don't destroy yourself by being too good or acting too smart! Don't die before your time by being too evil or acting like a fool. Keep to the middle of the road. You can do this if you truly respect God.

There is a form of righteousness that is excessive, where everything seems wrong, God does not want us to live with that kind of fear. He wants us to have balance. And I would say 100% you are fine to watch movies.

Here is a video on the topic that may help.

Upvote 0

grace4ever

Apr 29, 2018
Florida
✟12,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns with us. I am so sorry you are dealing with such a difficult situation. These forums are great for sharing burdens, venting, and asking for advice. I am glad to know that you want to be a better Christian and to remove obstacles that go against the faith and does not please God. For many of us Christian believers, it takes time for us to know what is right, for that God allows us to endure the trials of life in order that we learn what is right and wrong. It is good to want watch movies and enjoy entertainment (for example: Christian movies, or movies with a decent plot), just as long as believers we can avoid those particular movies (the horror movies and movies who promote impurity and evil behavior) and other forms of entertainment I’m glad to know that you want to practice the modesty in dress and appearance. It is good that you try to wear lipstick to look more feminine. I encourage you to try to use always the common sense and prudence to avoid being scrupulous. All of us have a free-will that God gives us. Let me tell you my siter in Christ that you’re not alone, many of us go through times as you do, using our conscience but with God’s grace to help think of how to think what is the right thing to do in making decisions. All of this that you mention in your post is good, but God wants us to follow in a more profound way. He says in his Sacred Word: You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself (Mathew 22,37) He knows as human beings we suffer from what is called ‘Concupiscence’ that we tend to be selfish, self-centered, and proud. His Sacred Word teaches us: From within people, from their hearts, come evil thoughts, unchastity, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, licentiousness, envy, blasphemy, arrogance, folly. All these evils come from within and they defile.” (Mark 7: 20-22). But if we have and develop a relationship with Jesus, He promises us to grow in faith with this grace and to love Him and our neighbor. I hope this helps. I will keep you in my prayers, my sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think it does. I think you need to develop your views so you'll be anchored rather than blown about by the wind, so to speak.

Upvote 0