I Just Don’t Get It: Why Do So Many People Treat Pets as Human Equals?

GOD Shines Forth!

Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I Just Don't Get It: Why Do So Many People Treat Pets as Human Equals?

upload_2021-10-5_8-50-36.jpeg

I stumbled across this article today and found it interesting. Equally so are the comments following. People are passionate about their pets. I have no pets at the moment but am a "grandparent" to many. I show up at friends' and family's and love on 'em, walk 'em and then LEAVE.

Two people in my life just lost pets and it was traumatic for them. One was hit by a car when she slipped out of the house when they were bringing groceries in. Another had breathing problems and the day after I went with them to take pooch to the vet, pooch died.

Two people in my life have ill pooches requiring about $350 a month in medicine bills and prescribed food. What is the upper limit of care?

I get enjoyment out of loving my loved ones animals for their sake. They enjoy sharing their pets with me and I enjoy sharing love with their pets. Ultimately my focus is on the people. Seems normal.

Over to y’all…what do you think around this topic?

Reactions: Sarah G

spiritfilledjm

Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A pet is a pet. Sorry, I love my cat but if she required a ton of money for medicine and special food, I'd try finding someone or an organization that is more willing, and able really, to provide her the care that she needs. I don't have a lot of money to spend on medicine and food for her but even if I did, I probably wouldn't. She's just a cat, not one of my children.

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A pet is a pet. Sorry, I love my cat but if she required a ton of money for medicine and special food, I'd try finding someone or an organization that is more willing, and able really, to provide her the care that she needs. I don't have a lot of money to spend on medicine and food for her but even if I did, I probably wouldn't. She's just a cat, not one of my children.

My friends with the sick pets can afford it, and maybe that’s the difference. One of my other friends can’t afford extra intervention so her pets will be dying naturally, in their time.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟894,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I Just Don't Get It: Why Do So Many People Treat Pets as Human Equals?

View attachment 306762

I stumbled across this article today and found it interesting. Equally so are the comments following. People are passionate about their pets. I have no pets at the moment but am a "grandparent" to many. I show up at friends' and family's and love on 'em, walk 'em and then LEAVE.

Two people in my life just lost pets and it was traumatic for them. One was hit by a car when she slipped out of the house when they were bringing groceries in. Another had breathing problems and the day after I went with them to take pooch to the vet, pooch died.

Two people in my life have ill pooches requiring about $350 a month in medicine bills and prescribed food. What is the upper limit of care?

I get enjoyment out of loving my loved ones animals for their sake. They enjoy sharing their pets with me and I enjoy sharing love with their pets. Ultimately my focus is on the people. Seems normal.

Over to y’all…what do you think around this topic?
I would go as far as to say pets are treated better than humans. People walk by a homeless person laying on the street but would run to the aid of a dog doing the same.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟371,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's not that hard to understand. A pet becomes a member of your family. Especially a long-lived pet. My wife and I have an African grey parrot. Gracie was 5 months old when we adopted her. She's been with us now for 31 years. If she stays healthy, she can live another 10 years or more. Not to mention that she has a distinct personality, just like a dog or cat. You'd have to be made of stone if you don't become bonded to a pet like that.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I love my human pet. Only issue i have is getting it to pee outside!! :mad:

Well, human pets don't need to water every single bush with a few drops while we walk!

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath
✟1,002,593.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well, human pets don't need to water every single bush with a few drops while we walk!

No, but, you need a sat nav to find your way around. I just need my nose! :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GOD Shines Forth!

Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Lol, my Mom's Scottish terrier loves to do that when I walk him. He does it inside too, unfortunately. I feel he might do it less if he could be walked twice a day.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't think my cat is equal to me, but she clearly does. She woke me up this morning at 4:30 am, as far as I can tell only to give me headbutts and demand recognition of her presence. Unconditional love or narcissism and separation anxiety? I dunno, but I love her anyway.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't think my cat is equal to me, but she clearly does. She woke me up this morning at 4:30 am, as far as I can tell only to give me headbutts and demand recognition of her presence. Unconditional love or narcissism and separation anxiety? I dunno, but I love her anyway.

A newly discovered chapter in the Book of Genesis has provided the answer to 'Where do pets come from?' Adam said, 'Lord, when I was in the garden, you walked with me every day. Now I do not see you any more. I am lonesome here and it is difficult for me to remember how much you love me.'And God said 'No problem. I will create a companion for you that will be with you forever and who will be a reflection of my love for you so that you will love me even when you cannot see me. Regardless of how selfish or childish or unlovable you may be, this new companion will accept you as you are and will love you as I do, in spite of yourself.' And God created a new animal to be a companion for Adam. And it was a good animal. And God was pleased. And the new animal was pleased to be with Adam and it wagged its tail. And Adam said, 'Lord, I have already named all the animals in the Kingdom and I cannot think of a name for this new animal.' And God said, 'No problem. Because I have created this new animal to be a reflection of my love for you his name will be a reflection of my own name, and you will call him Dog.' And Dog lived with Adam and was a companion to him and loved him. And Adam was comforted. And God was pleased. And Dog was content and wagged his tail. After a while, it came to pass that Adam's guardian angel came to the Lord and said, 'Lord, Adam has become filled with pride. He struts and preens like a peacock and he believes he is worthy of adoration. Dog has indeed taught him that he is loved, but perhaps too well.' And the Lord said, 'No problem. I will create for him a companion who will be with him forever and who will see him as he is. The companion will remind him of his limitations, so he will know that he is not always worthy of adoration.' And God created Cat to be a companion to Adam. And Cat would not obey Adam. And when Adam gazed into Cat's eyes, he was reminded that he was not the Supreme Being. And Adam learned humility. And God was pleased. And Adam was greatly improved. And Dog was happy. And Cat didn't care one way or the other.

Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I admit I do treat my chihuahua almost like a baby. I consider him as being part of family but he is a pet, I know that. I baby talk to him and I pamper him. I know some people see it weird but I don’t care he has been my bestfriend (earthly bestfriend) over 10 years. Of course I love him.

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I admit I do treat my chihuahua almost like a baby. I consider him as being part of family but he is a pet, I know that. I baby talk to him and I pamper him. I know some people see it weird tartbut I don’t care he has been my bestfriend (earthly bestfriend) over 10 years. Of course I love him.

I posted this thread earlier today and then went for a walk in the park. I met a lady who was carrying two chihuahuas around and we ended up walking and talking the whole time. Pets make human interaction easier it seems.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath
✟1,002,593.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I posted this thread earlier today and then went for a walk in the park. I met a lady who was carrying two chihuahuas around and we ended up walking and talking the whole time. Pets make human interaction easier it seems.

Unless you meet a rottweiler! Yikes...

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Oh... you will never be equal to your cat. 5000 years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. They have not forgotten this.

Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

This has happened to me few times too. It always feels very natural connection with other dog owners.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Even from the Scriptures we see the love that people have for the animals in their care:

2 Samuel 12
1 Then the Lord sent Nathan to David. And he came to him, and said to him: “There were two men in one city, one rich and the other poor. 2 The rich man had exceedingly many flocks and herds. 3 But the poor man had nothing, except one little ewe lamb which he had bought and nourished; and it grew up together with him and with his children. It ate of his own food and drank from his own cup and lay in his bosom; and it was like a daughter to him. 4 And a traveler came to the rich man, who refused to take from his own flock and from his own herd to prepare one for the wayfaring man who had come to him; but he took the poor man’s lamb and prepared it for the man who had come to him.”

5 So David’s anger was greatly aroused against the man, and he said to Nathan, “As the Lord lives, the man who has done this shall surely die! 6 And he shall restore fourfold for the lamb, because he did this thing and because he had no pity.”

Upvote 0