Menomonie, Wisconsin
✟17,180.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I was raised Catholic, but have become more and more "disillusioned", as one might put it, over time. I can't see any good evidence or proof of the existence or nature of God, which is to say, does God exist? And what is God like? I don't see how either question could be answered.

I'd like to believe. I used to, once. It was nice. But all I've read to support theism are circular arguments and fallacies. Is there a way to logically deduce the existence or nature of God, or is it just a matter of pure "faith" or "belief" (i.e., a statement with no proof or falsifiability)?

Reactions: CrystalDragon

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
(staff edit)

Faith is the belief in something you cannot prove. Can you PROVE that a chair will hold you, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was raised Catholic, but have become more and more "disillusioned", as one might put it, over time. I can't see any good evidence or proof of the existence or nature of God, which is to say, does God exist? And what is God like? I don't see how either question could be answered.

I'd like to believe. I used to, once. It was nice. But all I've read to support theism are circular arguments and fallacies. Is there a way to logically deduce the existence or nature of God, or is it just a matter of pure "faith" or "belief" (i.e., a statement with no proof or falsifiability)?

Mobezom,

If you'd really like to believe, then you probably need to check your present epistemology in at the door ... and start over in your evaluations as to what constitute belief and faith, and then contrast this with what you were told they should be. As long as you're expecting 'faith' to amount to a "Lego Castle" that you put together step by interlocking step, then you'll never have faith.

Just one suggestion among many. :cool:

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Mobezom

Oct 30, 2016
Menomonie, Wisconsin
✟17,180.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
dogs4thewin, there is indeed a degree of faith in a rational, naturalistic view of the universe. The faith that logic will continue to hold tomorrow. The faith that I will not be a fish tomorrow. The faith that SUDDENLY BEES will not happen tomorrow. The faith that the sun will be made of hydrogen, and not pineapples, tomorrow. That 2+2 will still equal 4, and that the derivative of a constant function will equal zero, tomorrow. This faith isn't the same as other faith! It makes the least assumptions, and is in fact present in all logical discussions or statements. If I need some faith, better this than anything else.

2PhiloVoid, what definition for "faith" do you use? Also, how else can we view the world but as interconnected simple systems and laws?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
dogs4thewin, there is indeed a degree of faith in a rational, naturalistic view of the universe. The faith that logic will continue to hold tomorrow. The faith that I will not be a fish tomorrow. The faith that SUDDENLY BEES will not happen tomorrow. The faith that the sun will be made of hydrogen, and not pineapples, tomorrow. That 2+2 will still equal 4, and that the derivative of a constant function will equal zero, tomorrow. This faith isn't the same as other faith! It makes the least assumptions, and is in fact present in all logical discussions or statements. If I need some faith, better this than anything else.

2PhiloVoid, what definition for "faith" do you use? Also, how else can we view the world but as interconnected simple systems and laws?

Basically, faith is a positive response to Christ via the prompting of the Holy Spirit on one side, and your personal acceptance of the limited revelation that God has provided through His people (i.e. the New Testament). Faith isn't a comprehensive system of beliefs by which one engages God as a byproduct of cognitively derived certainties.

2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Mobezom

Oct 30, 2016
Menomonie, Wisconsin
✟17,180.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
But... I'm basically starting from Square One again, so how do I know that the New Testament is factual and written by God? Can't it be described as a purely human text? If I'm not infallible, and you aren't, how were the writers of the Bible infallible?

I don't want to start with the a priori assumption that there is a God and go from there. That just feels so wrong. There's a part of myself that would scream if I did that, and it's the rational part. (I value truth over safety and good feelings.) I could, for the sake of discussion and giving your suggestions a decent try, temporarily assume that there is a God, but even beyond that there are problems. For instance, what is this Holy Spirit and how do I "hear" its promptings? And how do I know that anything written about him is true?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But... I'm basically starting from Square One again, so how do I know that the New Testament is factual and written by God?
If you're REALLY starting from square one, as I suggested you should, you won't even be focusing upon the Bible, let alone religion, just yet. You'll be focusing upon all the incongruities of epistemology and metaphysics. You will have to address all of this first, which is quite an undertaking by the way. ;)

Can't it be described as a purely human text?
Sure. It can be 'described' that way, but wouldn't you agree that applying a description to the biblical text, either for or against, in an a priori way doesn't reflect that one has really considered the existing array of epistemic contingencies?

If I'm not infallible, and you aren't, how were the writers of the Bible infallible?
I don't think you have to start out assuming that it is "infallible" in the traditional sense. You could just start out by seeing the Bible as something of possible superlative interest ... since it does claim to deal with some very nasty metaphysical issues involving personal and world eschatology.

I don't want to start with the a priori assumption that there is a God and go from there.
Well, no one is saying you have to. At least, I'm not.

That just feels so wrong. There's a part of myself that would scream if I did that, and it's the rational part. (I value truth over safety and good feelings.) I could, for the sake of discussion and giving your suggestions a decent try, temporarily assume that there is a God, but even beyond that there are problems.
My suggestion was a general description of the process, not a specific one. Besides, you'll have to tackle what you think TRUTH amounts to, and you'll have to do it by way of considerations that take place from within the two fields I mentioned above.

For instance, what is this Holy Spirit and how do I "hear" its promptings?
That's for God to show you in due time. For the moment, the fact that you "say" that you "want to believe," if true, is part of the providential arrangement.

And how do I know that anything written about him is true?
Again, my friend, you're going to have to tackle those two fields ... as well as how they apply to science and other related practices related to human perception and measurement.

2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But... I'm basically starting from Square One again, so how do I know that the New Testament is factual and written by God? Can't it be described as a purely human text? If I'm not infallible, and you aren't, how were the writers of the Bible infallible?

I don't want to start with the a priori assumption that there is a God and go from there. That just feels so wrong. There's a part of myself that would scream if I did that, and it's the rational part. (I value truth over safety and good feelings.) I could, for the sake of discussion and giving your suggestions a decent try, temporarily assume that there is a God, but even beyond that there are problems. For instance, what is this Holy Spirit and how do I "hear" its promptings? And how do I know that anything written about him is true?

Intellectual pursuit of God goes nowhere. You can employ all the mathematical equations, all the psychological evaluations, all the wonders of physical science, biology, geometry ..... whatever, and come up back at square 1: empty.

The answers you seek are far beyond anything earthly or secular or existential.

I can offer you the scripture involved. It is up to you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also, how else can we view the world but as interconnected simple systems and laws?
Well, from a human, phenomenological level, I wouldn't suppose that we'd see it as anything else.

Upvote 0

Mobezom

Oct 30, 2016
Menomonie, Wisconsin
✟17,180.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Intellectual pursuit of God goes nowhere. You can employ all the mathematical equations, all the psychological evaluations, all the wonders of physical science, biology, geometry ..... whatever, and come up back at square 1: empty.

The answers you seek are far beyond anything earthly or secular or existential.

I can offer you the scripture involved. It is up to you.

But that doesn't satisfy my craving for truth. I have a Bible. Is there any way to determine whether all this is true or not? Or do I have to approach religion credulously and blindly believe in some teachings? (Or is that a false dichotomy?) I want to apply logic. How would I be convinced of the existence of God? Some "good feelings" that I assume came from God? I'm just too pure-logical for that to work.

Well, from a human, phenomenological level, I wouldn't suppose that we'd see it as anything else.

Besides direct experience, what do we have?

If you're REALLY starting from square one, as I suggested you should, you won't even be focusing upon the Bible, let alone religion, just yet. You'll be focusing upon all the incongruities of epistemology and metaphysics. You will have to address all of this first, which is quite an undertaking by the way. ;)
Ah, so I'm going too quickly for now. Okay. (What kind of incongruities?)
Sure. It can be 'described' that way, but wouldn't you agree that applying a description to the biblical text, either for or against, in an a priori way doesn't reflect that one has really considered the existing array of epistemic contingencies?
I'm not saying that "since there is a secular explanation, that explanation must be true." Sorry if I was unclear. I'm saying that from my standpoint, the Bible doesn't prove anything; it could be true, or it might not. But you might already know that.
I don't think you have to start out assuming that it is "infallible" in the traditional sense. You could just start out by seeing the Bible as something of possible superlative interest ... since it does claim to deal with some very nasty metaphysical issues involving personal and world eschatology.
I'm not quite sure if I get you, but you're saying that regardless of the infallibility of the Bible, its topic is important and relevant, yes? Good sell. It is something I'll look further into.
Well, no one is saying you have to. At least, I'm not.
Okay then, I misunderstood.
My suggestion was a general description of the process, not a specific one. Besides, you'll have to tackle what you think TRUTH amounts to, and you'll have to do it by way of considerations that take place from within the two fields I mentioned above.
Ah, so looking into how truth can be determined through not-science? Sounds cool and confusing - the perfect mix to make me want to learn more!
That's for God to show you in due time. For the moment, the fact that you "say" that you "want to believe," if true, is part of the providential arrangement.
Patience is tough, but if there's no God, waiting doesn't matter, while if there is, God will probably do something, so it's worth a Pascalian shot.
Again, my friend, you're going to have to tackle those two fields ... as well as how they apply to science and other related practices related to human perception and measurement.
I do like finding my own answers, and this is a quite intriguing topic, but do you think you could provide another relevant term or two to point me in the right direction?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mobezom

Besides direct experience, what do we have?
By “direct experience,” are you referring specifically to the method of Empiricism for acquiring knowledge? I doubt that you are, because we also have Rationalism as an alternative, as well as a combination of these two modes of thinking which more or less amounts to the Scientific Method (or methods, I should say). I imagine that science is more of what you had in mind. Am I wrong?

But, in the case of these three modes of investigation, we aren’t specifically talking about Truth per say, but about the method and nature of “Knowledge,” which is related to truth, of course, but not identical to it. Even though truth is an epistemological entity, in some ways it is a term laced with more metaphysical overtones than is knowledge.

And then there is the epistemological (and psychological) problem of the Mind, to which both the concepts of Truth and Knowledge have to answer; and this is where philosophical deliberation really becomes knotty.

The interesting thing is, many people (~scientists) think we can ignore all this stuff and then go on believing that all of this has little implication for the studies (and classifications) we make of the world, because our work very often seems to “work.” But, if we are to look at either complex systems or simple systems, I’d suggest that we also have to seriously consider the irony that in looking at systems of the world, we are using systems (whether complex, complicated, or simple) to do our classifying of the world, a relation within our perceptual and cognitive processes that often is taken for granted and not completely accounted for in our individual worldviews or working methods.

(And I’d be tempted to say that it is difficult for any of us to fully account for all of the biological and psychological technicalities that could be accounted for, which makes our individual claims to any truth that much more tenuous…and this includes my own claims to the things I’m telling you right now, all of which can, of course, lead us down the rabbit hole for a visit to Wonderland!)

And you got that right … 2PhiloVoid could be wrong about all of his propositions which he just stated above. And for me, the irony of it all is really sweeping and awe-inspiring … ! It means that our trust in science needs to be taken with a grain of salt; it also means that our considerations about religion (or Christian faith), as much as they can be existentially, become even more complex.

Ah, so I'm going too quickly for now. Okay. (What kind of incongruities?)
Well, there’s a long laundry list of them, so in relation to all I’ve said above, let me just cut to the chase and say (claim) for now—there really isn’t any human point of view that is impervious to criticism or that is transcendent and with no accompanying limitations. So, if we want an axiom to haggle over philosophically, this is the one to chew on, because it means that on a phenomenological level, religion isn’t the only field that will give us fits when we attempt to acquire Truth and Knowledge. It also means that we will have a difficult time “building” an edifice of knowledge, and resorting to principles of Math won’t get us out of the quagmire either.

I'm not saying that "since there is a secular explanation, that explanation must be true." Sorry if I was unclear. I'm saying that from my standpoint, the Bible doesn't prove anything; it could be true, or it might not. But you might already know that.
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm not quite sure if I get you, but you're saying that regardless of the infallibility of the Bible, its topic is important and relevant, yes? Good sell. It is something I'll look further into.
Yep … perhaps consider Hebrews 2:14 as a kind of catalyst for your further consideration; however, I’d hesitate to call it a starting point.

Ah, so looking into how truth can be determined through not-science? Sounds cool and confusing - the perfect mix to make me want to learn more!
Well, this venture I’m pointing you to will actually become an evaluation of “everything,” including the nature of science. So, yes, in some sense, you will have to be cognitively “outside” of science, even though the irony of it is that you’ll be using the very organ by which we … do science.

Patience is tough, but if there's no God, waiting doesn't matter, while if there is, God will probably do something, so it's worth a Pascalian shot.
Well, if you want to see my suggestion as a kind of prompting to take Pascal up on his Wager, you can do so, although I wouldn’t really say that what I’m suggesting you do here relies is a Pascalian approach. Nor is it a time of patience in waiting for God to “make a move.” What you’re really doing is trying to see if there is anything amiss, not only in your understanding of religious epistemology, but in every other cognitive process you may have, among which may be something that is holding you back from belief and faith.

But, in the end, you will only see what you feel you can see. And, if Jesus is real, and He is the Christ, then somewhere, possibly, in the mix, He will enter in and give you some additional insights that I can never give you. When, and where, and how—I don’t know.

I do like finding my own answers, and this is a quite intriguing topic, but do you think you could provide another relevant term or two to point me in the right direction?
And what other terms do you feel are missing at this point?

p.s. Please forgive me if I sound like I’m condescending. I don’t mean to be. I can tell you’re an intelligent chap; probably fairly educated, too. :cool:

Peace,

2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Mobezom

Oct 30, 2016
Menomonie, Wisconsin
✟17,180.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Mobezom

By “direct experience,” are you referring specifically to the method of Empiricism for acquiring knowledge? I doubt that you are, because we also have Rationalism as an alternative, as well as a combination of these two modes of thinking which more or less amounts to the Scientific Method (or methods, I should say). I imagine that science is more of what you had in mind. Am I wrong?
Oops. Sorry about that, I was incredibly unclear. Here's what I meant to say:

As an individual, I cannot see any other way of gaining information than through observation. This includes through the senses and through "feelings" (sad, happy, etc.). If I see that the Sun has another spot, that is a direct observation IIRC; if I hear somebody say that the Sun has another spot, or I see a picture of that, that is an indirect observation. Hearing that the Sun is entering the next sunspot cycle, or that the Sun is made of hydrogen, is also indirect observation in the personal sense, although not in the scientific sense. If the claim that "the Sun is hydrogen" meshes well with my current knowledge, or is accompanied by sufficient data to convince me, and is agreed by many experts in the field, then I accept it. There is an assumption of academic integrity - I do not doubt the sincerity of the scientists as a whole, and I trust that individual cases of academic integrity will be found and labeled as such.

I lean towards Empiricism, in case you cannot tell. At the very least, I think that any statements about the physical world can only be verified by empirical observation. I'm unsure about metaphysical statements - if they cannot even be observed, than this would say that they cannot be justified. I would hesitate to make such a sweeping statement.
But, in the case of these three modes of investigation, we aren’t specifically talking about Truth per say, but about the method and nature of “Knowledge,” which is related to truth, of course, but not identical to it. Even though truth is an epistemological entity, in some ways it is a term laced with more metaphysical overtones than is knowledge.
I would dispute, though, the existence of Truth as a Platonic ideal - truth, I would say, is the asymptote of knowledge; it is that which knowledge approximates. In a sense, it only exists in the way that infinity is a number. This is one of the most important and disputed concepts in all of philosophy, though, so I'd hardly claim to have the be-all-end-all definition! There is certainly a large body of discussion and writings on Truth, and I'm beginning to read more of that. Maybe I'll find something that changes my mind, or expands my understanding.
And then there is the epistemological (and psychological) problem of the Mind, to which both the concepts of Truth and Knowledge have to answer; and this is where philosophical deliberation really becomes knotty.
Ah, the mind. I have pondered many a night on how I am able to ponder, until my brain hurt and I fell asleep. I don't even know if it's possible to know exactly what consciousness is.
The interesting thing is, many people (~scientists) think we can ignore all this stuff and then go on believing that all of this has little implication for the studies (and classifications) we make of the world, because our work very often seems to “work.”
Well, science does work. If people are claiming that science is definitely everything and that nothing else can possibly exist...

Oh, look at that. I just said that myself. Hmm. Science is useful, but perhaps it's not the only source of knowledge. It might even be impossible to scientifically evaluate that statement. Oh, and that reminds me of Godel's incompleteness theorem - mathematically proving that math is limited! That might even be seen as proof that something exists beyond math... or not. Just proof that we can't mathematically know if there's anything beyond math. The self-contradiction of a system that proves its own incompleteness is most interesting to consider.
But, if we are to look at either complex systems or simple systems, I’d suggest that we also have to seriously consider the irony that in looking at systems of the world, we are using systems (whether complex, complicated, or simple) to do our classifying of the world, a relation within our perceptual and cognitive processes that often is taken for granted and not completely accounted for in our individual worldviews or working methods.
Hey, that was where I was going with my thoughts! It might even be the case that multiple contradicting systems could both say that they are correct, and within each system the "I am correct" statement could be true. In that case, we couldn't even know which is correct!
(And I’d be tempted to say that it is difficult for any of us to fully account for all of the biological and psychological technicalities that could be accounted for, which makes our individual claims to any truth that much more tenuous…and this includes my own claims to the things I’m telling you right now, all of which can, of course, lead us down the rabbit hole for a visit to Wonderland!)
I've read a relevant book - Nonsense, the Power of Not Knowing, I think it was called. It's probably going to be useful when dealing with unknowable things like this. It's tempting to cram everything into boxes of surety, and I'd say that this is all too common in both science and religion.
And you got that right … 2PhiloVoid could be wrong about all of his propositions which he just stated above. And for me, the irony of it all is really sweeping and awe-inspiring … ! It means that our trust in science needs to be taken with a grain of salt; it also means that our considerations about religion (or Christian faith), as much as they can be existentially, become even more complex.
Very thought-provoking.
Well, there’s a long laundry list of them, so in relation to all I’ve said above, let me just cut to the chase and say (claim) for now—there really isn’t any human point of view that is impervious to criticism or that is transcendent and with no accompanying limitations. So, if we want an axiom to haggle over philosophically, this is the one to chew on, because it means that on a phenomenological level, religion isn’t the only field that will give us fits when we attempt to acquire Truth and Knowledge. It also means that we will have a difficult time “building” an edifice of knowledge, and resorting to principles of Math won’t get us out of the quagmire either.
I did think that science was a perfectly solid foundation for knowledge and truth before, but now I see that it's not.
Well, if you want to see my suggestion as a kind of prompting to take Pascal up on his Wager, you can do so, although I wouldn’t really say that what I’m suggesting you do here relies is a Pascalian approach. Nor is it a time of patience in waiting for God to “make a move.” What you’re really doing is trying to see if there is anything amiss, not only in your understanding of religious epistemology, but in every other cognitive process you may have, among which may be something that is holding you back from belief and faith.
Ah, it seems I both misunderstood you and was unclear. Thanks for the clarification.
And what other terms do you feel are missing at this point?
I wasn't quite sure where to start, but after reading this post, I think I do. The nature of Truth, the inherent limitations of any knowledge system, etc.
p.s. Please forgive me if I sound like I’m condescending. I don’t mean to be. I can tell you’re an intelligent chap; probably fairly educated, too. :cool:
Oh, any condescending tone would arise solely from my lack of clear writing, but I don't perceive any such tone anyway.

Thanks for the compliment! You sound like you have thought about this much; regardless of what I end up believing or thinking, I have great respect for someone who has wrestled with these ancient problems of truth and knowledge.
Peace,

2PhiloVoid

Live long and prosper!

Mozebom

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

As an individual, I cannot see any other way of gaining information than through observation. This includes through the senses and through "feelings" (sad, happy, etc.). If I see that the Sun has another spot, that is a direct observation IIRC; if I hear somebody say that the Sun has another spot, or I see a picture of that, that is an indirect observation. Hearing that the Sun is entering the next sunspot cycle, or that the Sun is made of hydrogen, is also indirect observation in the personal sense, although not in the scientific sense. If the claim that "the Sun is hydrogen" meshes well with my current knowledge, or is accompanied by sufficient data to convince me, and is agreed by many experts in the field, then I accept it. There is an assumption of academic integrity - I do not doubt the sincerity of the scientists as a whole, and I trust that individual cases of academic integrity will be found and labeled as such.

I lean towards Empiricism, in case you cannot tell. At the very least, I think that any statements about the physical world can only be verified by empirical observation. I'm unsure about metaphysical statements - if they cannot even be observed, than this would say that they cannot be justified. I would hesitate to make such a sweeping statement.

I would dispute, though, the existence of Truth as a Platonic ideal - truth, I would say, is the asymptote of knowledge; it is that which knowledge approximates. In a sense, it only exists in the way that infinity is a number. This is one of the most important and disputed concepts in all of philosophy, though, so I'd hardly claim to have the be-all-end-all definition! There is certainly a large body of discussion and writings on Truth, and I'm beginning to read more of that. Maybe I'll find something that changes my mind, or expands my understanding.

Ah, the mind. I have pondered many a night on how I am able to ponder, until my brain hurt and I fell asleep. I don't even know if it's possible to know exactly what consciousness is.

Well, science does work. If people are claiming that science is definitely everything and that nothing else can possibly exist...

Oh, look at that. I just said that myself. Hmm. Science is useful, but perhaps it's not the only source of knowledge. It might even be impossible to scientifically evaluate that statement. Oh, and that reminds me of Godel's incompleteness theorem - mathematically proving that math is limited! That might even be seen as proof that something exists beyond math... or not. Just proof that we can't mathematically know if there's anything beyond math. The self-contradiction of a system that proves its own incompleteness is most interesting to consider.

Hey, that was where I was going with my thoughts! It might even be the case that multiple contradicting systems could both say that they are correct, and within each system the "I am correct" statement could be true. In that case, we couldn't even know which is correct!

I've read a relevant book - Nonsense, the Power of Not Knowing, I think it was called. It's probably going to be useful when dealing with unknowable things like this. It's tempting to cram everything into boxes of surety, and I'd say that this is all too common in both science and religion.

Very thought-provoking.

I did think that science was a perfectly solid foundation for knowledge and truth before, but now I see that it's not.

Ah, it seems I both misunderstood you and was unclear. Thanks for the clarification.

I wasn't quite sure where to start, but after reading this post, I think I do. The nature of Truth, the inherent limitations of any knowledge system, etc.

Oh, any condescending tone would arise solely from my lack of clear writing, but I don't perceive any such tone anyway.

Thanks for the compliment! You sound like you have thought about this much; regardless of what I end up believing or thinking, I have great respect for someone who has wrestled with these ancient problems of truth and knowledge.

Live long and prosper!

Mozebom

You too! Let me know if you'd like some additional considerations. :cool:

rest-in-peace-spock.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Hello,

"Faith" is synonymous with "trust" and is based upon evidence of trustworthiness or reliability. For example, when someone makes a promises that they will do something, then having faith is demonstrating that you are depending on them to keep their promise even though you can't prove what will happen in the future. So believing something without proof is not the same as believing something something without evidence, and you can have a great deal of evidence showing how trustworthy someone is without being able to prove that they will continue to be trustworthy in the future. It doesn't make a lot of sense to trust God to exist, so faith is not in regard to believing whether God to exists, but in regard to trusting God to keep His promises, and the Bible seeks to establish the trustworthiness of God.

If you're philosophically minded, then I suggest reading Edward Feser's book Aquinas for some solid arguments for the existence of God. There is a lot of good Christian scholarship out there that speaks about the existence of God and the reliability of the Bible.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Very thought-provoking.

Live long and prosper!

Mozebom

p.s. I did read your comments thoroughly, but I wasn't sure if you expected me to respond or not.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Mobezom

Oct 30, 2016
Menomonie, Wisconsin
✟17,180.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
p.s. I did read your comments thoroughly, but I wasn't sure if you expected me to respond or not.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

'Sfine. I always wonder that too.

If you want to respond, by all means, but since there's no question or anything like that, I don't expect you to. Thanks for reading it.

You too! Let me know if you'd like some additional considerations. :cool:

rest-in-peace-spock.jpg

(this post was enough, since only a confirmation that you received/read the post was expected, by the way)

I'd always enjoy a philosophical, thought-provoking discussion like the one we just had. Once I've read some more on this topic, I'll come back with more questions or points that I've developed. Thanks for your well-thought responses!

Hello,

"Faith" is synonymous with "trust" and is based upon evidence of trustworthiness or reliability. For example, when someone makes a promises that they will do something, then having faith is demonstrating that you are depending on them to keep their promise even though you can't prove what will happen in the future. So believing something without proof is not the same as believing something something without evidence, and you can have a great deal of evidence showing how trustworthy someone is without being able to prove that they will continue to be trustworthy in the future. It doesn't make a lot of sense to trust God to exist, so faith is not in regard to believing whether God to exists, but in regard to trusting God to keep His promises, and the Bible seeks to establish the trustworthiness of God.

If you're philosophically minded, then I suggest reading Edward Feser's book Aquinas for some solid arguments for the existence of God. There is a lot of good Christian scholarship out there that speaks about the existence of God and the reliability of the Bible.

It seems that faith is used in many similar but subtly different ways. I've heard of faith as "believing in that which is not seen" (or based on observation). Perhaps this arises from the distinction between justified and "blind" faith?

Upvote 0

Mobezom

Oct 30, 2016
Menomonie, Wisconsin
✟17,180.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
1. Did they really come true, though, or did people just say that they were? It's possible to "record" a prophecy coming true even if it didn't. That is, the question still stands: how do we know that what the Bible says is true?
2. Only very clear prophecies are valid for this - Nostradamus is famous for making vague prophecies that people read everything into.

Upvote 0