seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, the Bible is the Word of God and speaks for itself, does it not?

Does it?

"You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life." (John 5:39)

Being "in the word" does not grant immunity to the leaven of the Pharisees, since they, too, were "in the word".

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The Word of God is like (manna) spiritual Bread. It literally "feeds" our spirit. It strengthens and sustains us. We starve spiritually without it. God's Spirit ministers to us through it, and we are like trees planted by a river and we flourish, as it is written. God works His Word through us and we bear fruit, such as:

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. " ~Galatians 5:22-23

The bottom line is this, that God doesn't much care about anything else. It's written though-out His entire Word. We can do nothing to impress Him. We cannot argue or debate souls into embracing a God Who is Solely the One Who is able to win souls, hearts, and minds through His Spirit. We are to LOVE each other (and the precious ones who do not know Him, yet) and with ever-growing grace that He imparts to us, we learn to be gracious to one another and put ourselves aside and see the big picture through His eyes. And the big picture is this, that we are all flawed and in need of forgiveness and His grace. The realization brings us to our knees before Him and thankful that He has shown us mercy and His grace of which we do not deserve. The Alpha and the Omega LOVES us soooo inexplicably that we cannot fathom its entirety with our finite vision.

I just started reading a book called "Gripped By The Greatness of God", written by James MacDonald. Detail by detail he spells out how beyond our comprehension our God is, and in response we are awe-struck, speechless, and stilled. All comes to a halt. His majesty is incomprehensible. His holy-ness is undeniable. He is the Alpha and the Omega, God Almighty, Creator, Ancient of Days, God Most High. In the book, Isaiah 55:10-11 is mentioned: "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return there without watering the earth and making it bear and sprout, and furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; so will my Word be which goes forth from my mouth; it will not return to Me empty, without accomplishing what I desire, and without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it"

His Word is a treasure. Let's speak it and pour out His treasure on others. There is a spiritual hunger for His Word. Let's feed each other, edifying one another with the Words that God has spoken. For every time we do, we are "feeding" each other and those who do not know Him, yet. We are salt and light. Let's be gracious to one another and be quick to forgive and build each other up with edification. We learn as we go along. We do what we can, and God's grace does the rest. We're all in this together.

"And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday:" ~Isaiah 58:10

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
(sorry seeingeyes, i edited and added to my post.....my first comment was taken out cuz it didn't express what i was tryin' to say.)

Speaking of seeing through God's eyes (cuz without God's vision, we are spiritually blind), i was meditating on this song. Thought I'd share it.

Be thou my vision - YouTube

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
it is this....

why are Bible verses sometimes not welcomed in threads that are specifically about God and His precepts? Thoughts?

Maybe because the op wanted to hear reasoning of something without reference to scripture?

Should we not be able to reason about God without resorting to scripture?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Does He come first, precious sister in Christ and beloved daughter of the Most High God?

"And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment." ~Mark 12:30

Do we?

Let it rain.

Upvote 0

VictorC

Jesus - that's my final answer
Mar 25, 2008
Northern Colorado
✟22,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
why are Bible verses sometimes not welcomed in threads that are specifically about God and His precepts? Thoughts?

There are too many instances whereby the verses you're probably concerned with are misapplied without regard for whom they address nor under what covenant period they address.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Does He come first, precious sister in Christ and beloved daughter of the Most High God?

"And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment." ~Mark 12:30

Do we?

Let it rain.

So you aren't going to answer my question?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
There are too many instances whereby the verses you're probably concerned with are misapplied without regard for whom they address nor under what covenant period they address.

Theology is aboutGod, isn't it? Why speak of God without His inclusion in what is being said, brother in Christ and beloved son of the Most High God?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
So you aren't going to answer my question?

How is that possible without His input? Perhaps it depends on what the goal is. Eve was prompted to reason on her own, was she not? What did she need God for? It's about us, right, sister in Christ an d beloved daughter of the Most High God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VictorC

Mar 25, 2008
Northern Colorado
✟22,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Theology is aboutGod, isn't it? Why speak of God without His inclusion in what is being said, brother in Christ and beloved son of the Most High God?

I believe you're changing the topic from your OP and my response to it. Why should I be concerned with 'inclusion' of what God told someone that He didn't include me with?

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic

Why did Paul reason with the Atheneans about God never once using scripture?

Why did Paul use a pagan altar instead?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I believe you're changing the topic from your OP and my response to it. Why should I be concerned with 'inclusion' of what God told someone that He didn't include me with?

no, not changing topic. There's a point to it.

I was speaking of the inclusion of God Himself. His inclusion is through His Word, that supersedes our finite opinions and thoughts, as it is written.

If i am not clear in what i am attempting to express, i apologize. Bear with me.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally Posted by brinny

Why did Paul reason with the Atheneans about God never once using scripture?

Why did Paul use a pagan altar instead?

not following you.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
not following you.

You seem to be making the argument that using scripture is absolutely necessary to have discussions about God.

If that is true, then why didn't Paul use scripture when he discussed God with the Atheneans?

Why did he use the pagan altar to the unknown god instead of scripture?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VictorC

Mar 25, 2008
Northern Colorado
✟22,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

I was speaking of the inclusion of God Himself. His inclusion is through His Word, that supersedes our finite opinions and thoughts, as it is written.

If i am not clear in what i am attempting to express, i apologize. Bear with me.

I have the right to bear arms... oh, wait, different topic!

Okay, we aren't thinking of the same thing. I was thinking of your own posting history, where I've seen you quote something from the law of the old covenant, and then complain when someone points out that it doesn't apply to the specific topic in play.

Of course we should encourage what God says. But what He told the children of Israel before the new covenant existed has limited applicability to an adopted child of Jesus Christ led by the Spirit rather than the law. Does this help?

If not, then what is the problem you wish to address?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally Posted by brinny

I have the right to bear arms... oh, wait, different topic!

Okay, we aren't thinking of the same thing. I was thinking of your own posting history, where I've seen you quote something from the law of the old covenant, and then complain when someone points out that it doesn't apply to the specific topic in play.

Of course we should encourage what God says. But what He told the children of Israel before the new covenant existed has limited applicability to an adopted child of Jesus Christ led by the Spirit rather than the law. Does this help?

If not, then what is the problem you wish to address?

LOL! Fair enough.

What i'm saying is that God can say what He has to say better than any of us.

Upvote 0

VictorC

Mar 25, 2008
Northern Colorado
✟22,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
LOL! Fair enough.

What i'm saying is that God can say what He has to say better than any of us.

I agree.
Where care is necessary is apply what Hashem says to the applicable person.
For instance...
Lumping someone with a brood of vipers (see Matthew 23:33) when they clearly weren't among those who killed the prophets just doesn't apply to anyone on this forum. At least, the header for GT says 'Christians only', so it had better not apply to anyone here!

But, that is what God incarnate spoke!

Upvote 0