• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I Haven't Seen Anyone With My OCD Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyCloud

May 12, 2007
California
Visit site
✟15,225.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm just wondering. I still haven't seen anybody with my type of OCD. The OCD I suffer from is not just "I had this thought today" or "that thought today".

The OCD I've suffered from MAKES ME DO THINGS like smiling hard instantly a couple of times, then doing it later again. I do so purposely trying to stretch my face muscles. Sometimes I have to answer someone by saying "Uh-huh yeah right". If I feel they didn't hear me, I say it again while watching to see if they heard me. I've called my OCD "Migrating OCD" because it changes at any given moment to (what seems like) any given thing. I could go on and on and on, but you get the picture. Has anybody else ever had a problem like this? Thanks for your responses. God Bless You All.

Last edited:
P

picassoui

I'm just wondering. I still haven't seen anybody with my type of OCD. The OCD I suffer from is not just "I had this thought today" or "that thought today".

The OCD I've suffered from MAKES ME DO THINGS like smiling hard instantly a couple of times, then doing it later again. I do so purposely trying to stretch my face muscles. Sometimes I have to answer someone by saying "Uh-huh yeah right". If I feel they didn't hear me, I say it again while watching to see if they heard me. I've called my OCD "Migrating OCD" because it changes at any given moment to (what seems like) any given thing. I could go on and on and on, but you get the picture. Has anybody else ever had a problem like this? Thanks for your responses. God Bless You All.

hello , what you are describing is compulsive behavior ..i used to have one where i had to make certain statements twice such as you and i could be talking and i would suddenly have to repeat something to make sure i said it twice ..or and this was irritating even when i knew what the person had said i would have to ask them to say it again ..its as if i had to hear it twice ,,

what you are describing is no different that a person suddenly out of no where having the urge to touch an object a set number of times ..
its compulsive ..

sometimes when i eat and this makes no sense whatsoever but i have to put enough ketchup on certain parts of the food ..its silly ..but it is what it is ,,

Upvote 0

RachelZ

Mar 6, 2008
✟8,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi SkyCloud...I know it's not exactly the same but sometimes I feel compelled to do things symetrically...for example touching my teeth/inside of mouth in a way that feels right. I hope people's responses help you at least a bit...I know how important it is for me to feel I'm not alone with the way the OCD affects me but I can also see that although the compulsions may differ the way we think, react and feel is often so very similar! Take care, Rachel

Upvote 0

MandyG

Oct 20, 2008
Colorado
✟15,206.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Sky Cloud,
Yes! I do compulsions and have been trying to recognize them more. It used to be something I thought was just weird about me but then one I was diagonsed as OCD it all made sense (as much as it could...). For example I would I have to adujust my pants "just right" before I can sit down to eat. I would brush my teeth a certain way and a certain number of times, or else I have to start over. I would ask my husband a question and unless he answered it perfectly the way I wanted him to than I would ask him again. I used to do a head nod thing when I walked in to a certain room and I like to do the same walk through of my house each evening to make sure everything, even the pillows are "just so". As I am trying to cut down on my compulsion s, it is a very hard process. Anyways, you are not alone!!
-Mandy :wave:

Upvote 0

kissmeimamie

searching
Nov 13, 2008
St. Louis, Mo
✟7,672.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I type! I do, during conversations I move my fingers on an invisible keyboard, I type the words I'm saying. I repeat license plate numbers over and over again when I drive. I also go out of my way to drive over a bump on the left side of the road if I've hit one on the right.
My main problem is the obsessions, though. I'm constantly obsessing that I will hurt my loved ones, but against my will, you know? Like my body will take over and I won't be able to stop.
Anyway, OCD is one of those diseases that has a very wide range of symptoms, and most of them are unique.

Upvote 0

SkyCloud

May 12, 2007
California
Visit site
✟15,225.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you all for your responses, and those of you who will respond too. Yes, I realise that these things are compulsions.

This is interesting: Whenever I was repeating words, or a part of a prayer, or whatever, sometimes I would get so tired of doing it, that I would TAKE A BREAK and sit down or whatever. I noticed that when I did take a break, the anxiety of the compulsion would start to disappear. In other words, I started feeling better when I just stopped doing the compulsive action. Sadly, I would have to get back into repeating the compulsion until I felt peace again. God Bless.

Upvote 0

Jayangel81

Child of the Most High
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2007
Long Island Ny, USA
✟49,584.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The OCD I've suffered from MAKES ME DO THINGS like smiling hard instantly a couple of times, then doing it later again. I do so purposely trying to stretch my face muscles.

I guess I am not the only one heh.

I also have a compulsivness to roll my eyes.. which is not good to say the least when you are having a conversation with someone ^_^^_^^_^

Upvote 0

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for your responses, and those of you who will respond too. Yes, I realise that these things are compulsions.

This is interesting: Whenever I was repeating words, or a part of a prayer, or whatever, sometimes I would get so tired of doing it, that I would TAKE A BREAK and sit down or whatever. I noticed that when I did take a break, the anxiety of the compulsion would start to disappear. In other words, I started feeling better when I just stopped doing the compulsive action. Sadly, I would have to get back into repeating the compulsion until I felt peace again. God Bless.

I call it a real triumph that when you just stop the compulsion, you feel better and have less anxiety. :clap: Make those times away from the compulsions a bit longer each day. Praise and thank God for those little victories. In time, you will get better and better. :) Slow and steady wins the race. (my doctor always said that to me, and he was right!)

God bless,
seajoy

Upvote 0
P

picassoui

I call it a real triumph that when you just stop the compulsion, you feel better and have less anxiety. :clap: Make those times away from the compulsions a bit longer each day. Praise and thank God for those little victories. In time, you will get better and better. :) Slow and steady wins the race. (my doctor always said that to me, and he was right!)

God bless,
seajoy

I find that my compulsions are easier to control than the thoughts ...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.