I have this ability to sense evil presences, I don't know what you'd call it.

May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
For several years now, I have been able to sense the presences of bad people or when something bad is going to happen. Its like a feeling of dread or something like that, can't explain it. It grips my heart and make me feel terrified. Sometimes I wonder if I am sensing evil spirits or something like that.

Is this a spiritual gift?

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,017.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I call it the gift of spiritual discernment....

This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. - 1 John 1:5

If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2)

And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma
Mental E/c2 - Mentally, A mathematical formula, but this has chemical and spiritual properties as well.
Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

Comparing the light and the darkness, the opposite of E/c2 would be z (absolute zero)/ c (darkness)...

Natural z/d - Nothing, empty space.
Mental z/d - Again nothing but empty space.
Spiritual z/d - z (laziness, coldness, hatred / d (fear, despair, greed, sorrow)

And in the middle we have the world of the flesh. We then have the ability to discern flesh, light, goodness, evil, coldness, warmth, on the spiritual level.

Reactions: now faith
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For several years now, I have been able to sense the presences of bad people or when something bad is going to happen. Its like a feeling of dread or something like that, can't explain it. It grips my heart and make me feel terrified. Sometimes I wonder if I am sensing evil spirits or something like that.

I agree with Rockytopva, it sounds like the beginning of the gift of discerning of spirits. (read 1 Cor 12) If it is that, I suggest you find someone who is well versed in using the gift (IRL or over the internet) who can mentor you in how to use it.

• Winner
Reactions: Macchiato
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Yes. This is a form of discerning of spirits. I have seen it quite often with people who are very prophetic, but unseasoned (new) to operating in the gifts... especially "seers". My wife used to be the exact same way.

I think the reason this happens is the enemy tries to make you afraid of your gift (and thereby reject it) by revealing himself in this way. What I have learned is as the gift is developed over time, "terrifying" things begin to fade away and you will begin to discern very positive, cool things as well. Then as it develops even further, the prophetic gift begins to grow.

My advice: Don't give into the fear. God hasn't given you a spirit of fear, but of love, power, and a sound mind. You are discerning a defeated enemy that you have authority over in Jesus name. Try to find someone experienced in this to follow and learn from. Focus on what you can control, building fruit of the Spirit in your life, character, integrity, things like that. They may seem like they are not connected, but I assure you they are. The more you grow "internally" the greater effect it will have on the things that are "external", like the gifts of the Spirit. Blessings!

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party

It does sound like discernment at work.
People can be accompanied by evil spirits or have evil spirits dwelling within them. Sometimes localities can have resident evil spirits.
If you can sense these things when you have witnessed no other external signs, ie. evil words spoken or things done, then it is your spirit that's doing the witnessing.

But don't fall into fear about it, instead start seeking God about how to serve God with it.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

Spiritual discernment.

Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It could be a number of things including a godly manifestation of Discerning of Spirits. The idea that you are terrified is a bit disconcerting if it is godly manifestation.

Here is a tiny bit of info from a teaching I once did.

Discerning Of Spirits

translated “judge” in 1 Corinthians 14:29. It has to do with differentiating or properly judging “spirits.” Scholars disagree as to what Paul means by “spirits.” The most common consensus is that it refers to the various spirits of the vast spiritual realm. Hence, “discerning of spirits” has to do with properly judging what is of the Spirit of God and what is of other spirits. It is a divine aid in fulfilling the command of 1 John 4:1, “Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God.”

Ÿ Discerning of Spirit --- When able to be near a person, in a group situation, or especially if they are able to talk to or be within arm’s length of a person; they are able to see things about the person’s spiritual condition, which the person often tries to hide. Often called hyper-spiritual or dogmatic, their spirituality produces a strong reaction in people, whether positive or negative, depending on the condition of the person spiritually. People who are attempting to cover-up or hide spiritual damage, sin, or some form of spiritual problem will not be comfortable around the person with this gift, as they can sense they are able to discern information about them. These people usually either flee from the person or try to get rid of them.

Romans 12:6–8

6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; 7 or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; 8 he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.

1 Corinthians 12:1–10

1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: 2 You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit. 4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

1 Corinthians 12:28–31

28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.

1 Peter 2:5

you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 4:10–11

10 As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. 11 If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

There are two ways of looking at this:

Firstly, you may have the gift of discerning of spirits. This means that you can discern both a good spirit in a person and a bad one. When that happens, you need to ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you what it is and how He wants you to deal with it. This is the ministry side of the equation.

The other way is according to this Scripture:
"But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil" (Hebrews 5:14). This is the self-protection side so that we are aware of the direction we may be heading may not be good for us and that we should turn away and flee from the evil.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,460.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Having discernment is good but discerning of spirits is better. All the gifts listed in I Cor 12 work by The Holy Spirit; otherwise, it's us.

Here's a couple of examples of the discerning of spirits:

"These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation." This truth was stated about Paul and Silas. What could be wrong with that? After she followed them many days saying this, Paul commanded, in the name of Jesus, for the evil spirit of divination to leave her and it did the same hour. (Acts 16). In spite of the truth being stated, The Holy Spirit knew her motivation.

'...Peter said to him, “Ananias, why did you let Satan fill your heart and make you think you could lie to the Holy Spirit? You only pretended to give it all, yet you hid back part of the proceeds from the sale of your property to keep for yourselves." How did Peter know? God revealed their secret to Peter Acts 5

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,460.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, it's not only discerning of evil spirits. Here's an example of discerning of a Godly spirit '"And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision." Gal 2:9

Noticed that it was Paul, not Barnabas, that they had this perception about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,223,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
ADMIN HAT ON
Before posting here you must post in the Please Read and Agree before Posting
Also this forum intended as a safe place where Christian members from all denominations can discuss and learn more about the spiritual gifts.
The topic of this thread is the gift of Discerning of Spirits - not feelings.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0

ColoRaydo

Feb 9, 2017
Colorado
✟33,572.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes localities can have resident evil spirits.

I have to agree with that. My old neighborhood in Denver seemed like one. I told my wife, “I really feel a spiritual heaviness here.” I didn’t feel it in other neighborhoods that we had lived in.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I have to agree with that. My old neighborhood in Denver seemed like one. I told my wife, “I really feel a spiritual heaviness here.” I didn’t feel it in other neighborhoods that we had lived in.
Having been involved with deliverance ministry for many decades, one of the ways the Lord showed me to deal with locality resident demons is to pour the wine of the testimony out on the ground or floor of the property.

Revelation 12 shows that we overcome our accuser, Satan, by testifying to the blood of the Lamb which was shed for us. Taking communion wine is our normal testimony or proclamation of Jesus's death. Jesus's death doesn't just redeem us for life after death, but also redeems us on earth, and redeems everything that the blood is applied to. That's why Moses told the Israelites to paint the blood on the doorposts and lintels. (The doorstep and floor already being flooded with the bleed out of the lamb).

Anyone foolish enough to ignore Moses's instruction, would have been visited by death that night. Conversely, any Egyptian who sheltered behind that blood, would also be protected by that blood.

My wife and I regularly pour testimony wine out on the ground when we are praying for an area.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't really know what to classify that as. But do find, sometimes when im praying about my family, my spirit can just be led strongly towards reading certain or specific scriptures. Now the thing is, i would just have to obey and recite the scriptures otherwise, i won't be able to focus on other matters in relation to prayer. Only when ive now recited those verses, in spirit and in truth, do i now manage to move on.. Then later, i start to hear 1 or 2 testimonies coming through.

I also experience what i've temporarily decided to call, spiritual eavesdropping from time to time. Its like my spiritual ears become fully opened and i overhear significant stuff, including conversations going on as long as it's to do with my life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

4UallPraise

disabled entertainment
Apr 24, 2021
west coast
✟9,984.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Celibate
I also experience what i've temporarily decided to call, spiritual eavesdropping from time to time. Its like my spiritual ears become fully opened and i overhear significant stuff, including conversations going on as long as it's to do with my life.
Like spiritual neighbours on another wavelength, angelic? or just everyday things? It does seem that we are living on a higher level of awareness these days that might have an affect of the blending of the ages. Like being on a cusp of Laodocia from Philadelphia bringing in another point of view. Eye salve and linen >

Upvote 0