• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

I have this ability to sense evil presences, I don't know what you'd call it.

Discussion in 'Spiritual Gifts' started by JacquelineDeane55, Oct 21, 2019.

1. JacquelineDeane55

JacquelineDeane55 Newbie

+681
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    For several years now, I have been able to sense the presences of bad people or when something bad is going to happen. Its like a feeling of dread or something like that, can't explain it. It grips my heart and make me feel terrified. Sometimes I wonder if I am sensing evil spirits or something like that.

Is this a spiritual gift?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. rockytopva

rockytopva Love to pray! :) Supporter

+6,342
    Pentecostal
    Single
    I call it the gift of spiritual discernment....

This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. - 1 John 1:5

If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2)

And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma
    Mental E/c2 - Mentally, A mathematical formula, but this has chemical and spiritual properties as well.
    Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

Comparing the light and the darkness, the opposite of E/c2 would be z (absolute zero)/ c (darkness)...

Natural z/d - Nothing, empty space.
    Mental z/d - Again nothing but empty space.
    Spiritual z/d - z (laziness, coldness, hatred / d (fear, despair, greed, sorrow)

And in the middle we have the world of the flesh. We then have the ability to discern flesh, light, goodness, evil, coldness, warmth, on the spiritual level.

3. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+9,498
    Anabaptist
    It might not be. Especially since Jesus says clearly "BE ANXIOUS for nothing (not at all)" ... and to all His students: Peace I Give to you, not as the world gives, Give I to you....

Anyone can "sense" the presence of bad people, so to speak.

Or perhaps better to say - they can see and hear bad people. This is a daily occurence for a multitude of multitudes. (not that they KNOW they are seeing and hearing bad people, only that they are seeing and hearing bad people whether they know it or not)

4. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+15,750
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    I agree with Rockytopva, it sounds like the beginning of the gift of discerning of spirits. (read 1 Cor 12) If it is that, I suggest you find someone who is well versed in using the gift (IRL or over the internet) who can mentor you in how to use it.

5. Ahermit

Ahermit Active Member

+81
    Christian
    Married
    Don't let fear grip you, or what is evil will entice you to waste your life energy through tension. Evil feeds on wasted life energy. It has no energy source of its own, that is why they depend on creating fear in a person for their own survival. Utilize unconditional faith to remain soft and gentle (humble and meek), and to discern the deeper truths which will set you free from your fears.

6. topher694

topher694 Go Turtle!

+974
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Yes. This is a form of discerning of spirits. I have seen it quite often with people who are very prophetic, but unseasoned (new) to operating in the gifts... especially "seers". My wife used to be the exact same way.

I think the reason this happens is the enemy tries to make you afraid of your gift (and thereby reject it) by revealing himself in this way. What I have learned is as the gift is developed over time, "terrifying" things begin to fade away and you will begin to discern very positive, cool things as well. Then as it develops even further, the prophetic gift begins to grow.

My advice: Don't give into the fear. God hasn't given you a spirit of fear, but of love, power, and a sound mind. You are discerning a defeated enemy that you have authority over in Jesus name. Try to find someone experienced in this to follow and learn from. Focus on what you can control, building fruit of the Spirit in your life, character, integrity, things like that. They may seem like they are not connected, but I assure you they are. The more you grow "internally" the greater effect it will have on the things that are "external", like the gifts of the Spirit. Blessings!

7. Francis Drake

Francis Drake Returning adventurer.

+1,167
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    UK-Independence-Party
    It does sound like discernment at work.
    People can be accompanied by evil spirits or have evil spirits dwelling within them. Sometimes localities can have resident evil spirits.
    If you can sense these things when you have witnessed no other external signs, ie. evil words spoken or things done, then it is your spirit that's doing the witnessing.

But don't fall into fear about it, instead start seeking God about how to serve God with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Kaon

Kaon Well-Known Member

+1,621
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    Spiritual discernment.

9. yeshuaslavejeff

+9,498
    Anabaptist
    ? isn't "discernment" being able to tell the source of something, or the difference between good and evil ?
    Everyone can hear and see the evil people talking and moving, even if they do not know they are seeing evil people. (they just see "people", not knowing what they are)

10. ChristianGirl_96

ChristianGirl_96 Active Member

+512
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Spiritual awareness?

11. Reborn1977

Reborn1977 Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM Supporter

+141
    United States
    Christian
    Married

It could be a number of things including a godly manifestation of Discerning of Spirits. The idea that you are terrified is a bit disconcerting if it is godly manifestation.

Here is a tiny bit of info from a teaching I once did.

Discerning Of Spirits

translated “judge” in 1 Corinthians 14:29. It has to do with differentiating or properly judging “spirits.” Scholars disagree as to what Paul means by “spirits.” The most common consensus is that it refers to the various spirits of the vast spiritual realm. Hence, “discerning of spirits” has to do with properly judging what is of the Spirit of God and what is of other spirits. It is a divine aid in fulfilling the command of 1 John 4:1, “Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God.”

Ÿ Discerning of Spirit --- When able to be near a person, in a group situation, or especially if they are able to talk to or be within arm’s length of a person; they are able to see things about the person’s spiritual condition, which the person often tries to hide. Often called hyper-spiritual or dogmatic, their spirituality produces a strong reaction in people, whether positive or negative, depending on the condition of the person spiritually. People who are attempting to cover-up or hide spiritual damage, sin, or some form of spiritual problem will not be comfortable around the person with this gift, as they can sense they are able to discern information about them. These people usually either flee from the person or try to get rid of them.

Romans 12:6–8

6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; 7 or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; 8 he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.

1 Corinthians 12:1–10

1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: 2 You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit. 4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

1 Corinthians 12:28–31

28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.

1 Peter 2:5

you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 4:10–11

10 As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. 11 If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

12. Francis Drake

+1,167
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    UK-Independence-Party
    No, you are talking about human knowledge, which works such things out by education or experience, and that's no different to eating from the Tree of Knowledge.
    In contrast, spiritual discernment bypasses man's intellect and operates from the spirit instead.

13. yeshuaslavejeff

+9,498
    Anabaptist
    No, actually ,
    the natural human mind cannot "discern" anything spiritual. (God Thus Says in His Word )
    In fact, what men call good, is evil, and what men call evil, is good. The flesh thus profits nothing, again as God Says in His Word.

14. Francis Drake

+1,167
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    UK-Independence-Party
    Did you actually read my post?
    That's why I expressly referred to the spirit and excluded the natural mind.

15. Oscarr

Oscarr Senior Veteran Supporter

+7,629
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    There are two ways of looking at this:

Firstly, you may have the gift of discerning of spirits. This means that you can discern both a good spirit in a person and a bad one. When that happens, you need to ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you what it is and how He wants you to deal with it. This is the ministry side of the equation.

The other way is according to this Scripture:
    "But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil" (Hebrews 5:14). This is the self-protection side so that we are aware of the direction we may be heading may not be good for us and that we should turn away and flee from the evil.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. tturt

tturt Senior Veteran Supporter

+3,020
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Having discernment is good but discerning of spirits is better. All the gifts listed in I Cor 12 work by The Holy Spirit; otherwise, it's us.

Here's a couple of examples of the discerning of spirits:

"These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation." This truth was stated about Paul and Silas. What could be wrong with that? After she followed them many days saying this, Paul commanded, in the name of Jesus, for the evil spirit of divination to leave her and it did the same hour. (Acts 16). In spite of the truth being stated, The Holy Spirit knew her motivation.

'...Peter said to him, “Ananias, why did you let Satan fill your heart and make you think you could lie to the Holy Spirit? You only pretended to give it all, yet you hid back part of the proceeds from the sale of your property to keep for yourselves." How did Peter know? God revealed their secret to Peter Acts 5

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List