• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I have same sex attraction all of the sudden HELP

Lukad

Mar 3, 2021
Minnesota
✟16,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All my life I have felt a strong attraction to females. Lately I had some insecurities and was trying to notice if other guys had some of these things and I was trying to "prove" my masculinity, and all of the sudden it has turned sexual. I can't believe myself. I've also been depressed lately and have no interest in girls or there looks. Please help. I don't know what has happened to me. I want a wife and children. Even if I have to deal with these attractions for the rest of my life. I am really distressed.

Lukad

Mar 3, 2021
Minnesota
✟16,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I had a few insecurities about some physical traits and was obsessive. So I started to try and "show off" to other guys and try to prove how "manly" I was, and I was also trying to "check them out" and a few days ago I started to get some attraction to men. Now I feel even more depressed than I was

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,587.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think you should take this over to this forum:
Struggles with Sexuality
You can make a new thread there, or report your initial post to have it moved (don't worry, you won't get a warning or something like that. Moderators will be happy to assist).

Welcome to CF! I hope your stay here is long and productive and you find things you enjoy, as well as being able to deal with your struggles.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All my life I have felt a strong attraction to females. Lately I had some insecurities and was trying to notice if other guys had some of these things and I was trying to "prove" my masculinity, and all of the sudden it has turned sexual. I can't believe myself. I've also been depressed lately and have no interest in girls or there looks. Please help. I don't know what has happened to me. I want a wife and children. Even if I have to deal with these attractions for the rest of my life. I am really distressed.
A street preacher was preaching by the side of a path at a university I attended as a freshman. He insisted homosexuality is a wicked sin. I did not want to do homosexuality. Homosexuality is a perverted use of sex organs. It is not socially acceptable. No homosexual was ever elected to the office of president and only one bachelor was elected. I was sexually immoral in a heterosexual way. I had not heard good preaching against fornication in any church I attended growing up, or I easily forgot it. Dad had inappropriate content books I read. I developed a sleazy attitude. It brought me down so low. God could not support what I was thinking and doing. After I crashed and became impoverished, I read the Gospels about Jesus and the book of Proverbs and became celibate. I avoided STD’s and paternity lawsuits. Jesus is against sexual immorality, adultery, prostitution, premarital sex, homosexuality and masturbation. I do not believe in recreational sex. There are benefits in finding righteousness and truth.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear brother many of us have gone through similar struggles. It is best to go to God when you feel wrong coming on and share yourself completely with Jesus. Ask Him to forgive you for any sins committed when you are like this and plead Him to cleanse you from your sin. Then lay down your life like this - time and again - and eat His loving grace doing so.

Jesus will rescue you if you place your faith in Him, for love for God will be the undoing of you in wrong.

Learn to love Jesus more than wrongdoing and wrongdoing will die out of you.

Be of good courage and make sure not to make too big a deal out of it. The bigger you make it the harder it is to be healed in this part of your life. Sin is sin, all to be gotten rid of. Loving sin out of us is the best way to deal with it i found to be true in my life.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
If you did not choose to be same sex attracted, you have been attacked by an evil spirit. You need deliverance. Satan has launched an all out attack on God's design and purpose for humanity. The whole LGBTQ whatever phenomenon is Satanic to the core. Be glad you don't live where I am. It is now illegal to try and help people like yourself. I won't let that stop me, but I could end up in prison.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If I understand you, you used to be attracted to women, but you haven't felt that attraction lately. Did the drop in your attraction to women happen at about the same time as your depression started? If so, it might be a consequence of your depression, and it may resolve itself once your depression lifts. I'll also note that we're all still in the isolation of a pandemic lockdown, and that's making a mess of many people's emotions.

A therapist may be able to help you with the depression. The end of the pandemic, when it comes, will probably help as well.

Upvote 0

Lukad

Mar 3, 2021
Minnesota
✟16,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If I understand you, you used to be attracted to women, but you haven't felt that attraction lately. Did the drop in your attraction to women happen at about the same time as your depression started? If so, it might be a consequence of your depression, and it may resolve itself once your depression lifts. I'll also note that we're all still in the isolation of a pandemic lockdown, and that's making a mess of many people's emotions.

A therapist may be able to help you with the depression. The end of the pandemic, when it comes, will probably help as well.[/QUO

Yeah, I would say that my attraction really started to decline as my depression symptoms worsened, it often doesn't feel like a sad depression, but rather that I don't really enjoy things I used to love doing. I feel lazy as well, and poor focused. Before I started noticing a decline in early February, I loved girls and was very attracted to them physically and emotionally. I wonder, why would I have these homosexual thoughts due to lockdown or something like that? I feel like it has more to do with my need for affirmation from other men. I think this is all my fault. I fell into it. I just want to love a girl again. If these gay thoughts tempt me forever, I don't really care as long as I can be attracted to a woman and get married

Upvote 0

Lukad

Mar 3, 2021
Minnesota
✟16,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, I would say that my attraction really started to decline as my depression symptoms worsened, it often doesn't feel like a sad depression, but rather that I don't really enjoy things I used to love doing. I feel lazy as well, and poor focused. Before I started noticing a decline in early February, I loved girls and was very attracted to them physically and emotionally. I wonder, why would I have these homosexual thoughts due to lockdown or something like that? I feel like it has more to do with my need for affirmation from other men. I think this is all my fault. I fell into it. I just want to love a girl again. If these gay thoughts tempt me forever, I don't really care as long as I can be attracted to a woman and get married

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

How old are you and are you missing a male role model in your life? (You made a comment about need for affirmation from other men.)

Some people "think they are gay" because they don't understand certain aspects of psychological development. The question of what does it mean to be male or female is always contextual to "same gender role models". (Which usually has some connection to parents because they are the first gender models we see.)

Then, because we are surrounded by a culture where certain groups have an agenda to push; any little thing that the individual (or their peer group) deems as "gay behavior" becomes a struggle.

Also define "attracted to men".

One can find individuals of the same gender attractive. One can find individuals of the other gender attractive. One could find a certain fascination with the body, how it functions and concepts like "What does it mean to be strong?" One could look at a black bear and say: "What an awesomely powerful animal!" One could even get a sense of "excitement" from contemplating all these things; but arousal doesn't actually mean anything in and of itself.

Our reactions to circumstances actually become a product of how we interpret them. Seeing another guy in the gym and thinking: "That's some six pack. I wonder what it would take for me to get that?" Doesn't necessarily translate into "gay". It really could be as simple as "I want a six pack." It's all part of a decision making process. How are you going to choose to interpret what ever your reaction is?

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear brother many of us have gone through similar struggles. It is best to go to God when you feel wrong coming on and share yourself completely with Jesus. Ask Him to forgive you for any sins committed when you are like this and plead Him to cleanse you from your sin. Then lay down your life like this - time and again - and eat His loving grace doing so.

Jesus will rescue you if you place your faith in Him, for love for God will be the undoing of you in wrong.

Learn to love Jesus more than wrongdoing and wrongdoing will die out of you.

Be of good courage and make sure not to make too big a deal out of it. The bigger you make it the harder it is to be healed in this part of your life. Sin is sin, all to be gotten rid of. Loving sin out of us is the best way to deal with it i found to be true in my life.

Peace.
I became celibate when I was 22. Except for a relationship with a woman that lasted about four years in my 40’s, I have been celibate since. I am in my 60’s. I repented of promiscuous behavior. Marriage was usually for family formation and procreation of offspring, although some couples may choose celibacy or birth control. God loved me and taught me a way that is proper. I prayed often that I might not turn back towards temptation.

My dad and mom are in their 80’s. He threw away the inappropriate content books years ago.

Paul confessed his sin of voting the death penalty for Christians including Stephen who was stoned for the false accusation of blasphemy. Paul turned to testify for Christ and was forgiven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,277.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

You, like a lot of the rest of us could probably use
a change of scenery.
Its very hard to bootstrap your way out of depression.
Getting away from it all can be terrif medicine.

FWIW as an example one of my acquaintances is
a man who decided to go teach English in China
because he became so eager to escape the rut he was in.
It definitely was a turning point in his life!

But really, while its true you came for advice, don't
take any but this: talk to a professional. This is
your life. None of us know more than to say " lo here"
or else, " lo there".

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

The feelings you describe of not enjoying things, not feeling like you have the energy or drive to do anything, and having trouble focusing, are classic depression symptoms. A decline in sexual energy can go along with these other symptoms.

I'm not saying that the lockdown would cause homosexual thoughts. But the lockdown is affecting many people's emotions; I know my emotions are a mess right now. If you've been mostly alone for the past year, it's possible that you're starved for in-person human contact, and your emotions may be instinctively reaching out for whatever human contact they can find.

Be forgiving of your emotions. They've been through a tough year. I still recommend seeing a therapist about the depression. (I think a lot of people are experiencing depression right now. You're in good company.) My guess is that when the pandemic is over, and your depression lifts somewhat, your sexuality will return to what it was before the pandemic started.

Upvote 0

Lukad

Mar 3, 2021
Minnesota
✟16,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My dad is my only male role model really, and he was absent most of my early childhood. I am in my teens. And by attracted I mean not necessarily aroused to say, but more kind of an envious attraction. Like I can get excited, but its not complimentary

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
My dad is my only male role model really, and he was absent most of my early childhood. I am in my teens. And by attracted I mean not necessarily aroused to say, but more kind of an envious attraction. Like I can get excited, but its not complimentary

My dear, you may be surprised to know that that is actually normal. It's actually part of the psychological development of gender identification.

Small children go through a phase where they have to figure out what gender they are. And since most small children are primarily in the care of women; that identity process is usually more readily accessible for girls. Statistically speaking there are 3 times as many homosexual men as there are homosexual women. And psychology believes this is connected to that gender identity process.

I'm a 50 year old mother of a 19 year old autistic son who also has epilepsy. When he was about 7; he'd decided that he didn't want to be a boy. I found this out one day when I found him in his bedroom crying and trying to pull his reproductive organs off. I asked him why he was trying to pull his organs off and he said it was because he didn't want to be a boy.

Well we had a conversation about this and his feelings stemmed from his father's rejection of him. His dad (my husband) was present in the household but he did not cope well with life. He was constantly angry and frustrate about everything and he tended to take it out on his son. And of course the way he treated his child caused a lot of stress between the two of us parents.

My son had said that he didn't want to be a boy because "boys are mean". And when I explained to him that we are all held to the same moral standard by God; (boy's aren't "mean" because they are boys). His father didn't act the way he did because he was male. He acted the way he did because he's a sinner!

At that point we started talking about "Jesus is nice and he was a boy too." We've had a few conversations about "guy" / "girl" stuff and that our character is more important than our gender.

I also brought up examples to my son of other men that he liked. (He's had a couple of male student teachers who worked specifically with him in his classes in elementary school. (He had difficulty learning stuff.) The principal had been a gym teacher and he liked the principal. He liked "coach". (The guy that taught swim.)

Now my son has also been through several school placements because of behavioral problems related to Autism and epilepsy. And as he got older; the relationship between him and his dad got more strained. (Because dad could not deal with the fact that the kid had a notable medical disability.) His father eventually left, had had two affairs and committed suicide. Actually.... that happened 4 years ago today; the police found his body in his apartment on March 5th 2017.

But my son (besides me; who I'm a "tom boy", military vet who's worked in male occupations. I've done road construction. I've built houses and ran a military heavy equipment yard when I was in the Navy.) I'm "knowledgeable, independent mom". My son though, always got along better with male staff in school. Probably because their "school teacher self" generally manifests differently than female "school teacher selves".

And thank God for good men who work in "child care" and public schools. My son had a male respite worker until he was about 17 years old. This fellow would come over; make my son dinner. They'd play video games and talk about "stuff" while they were shooting at each other. LOL

When my son got to be 15, 16, 17 years old; he gravitated toward fellow gamers who were generally guys in their late teens and early 20's who played the Destiny video game. These friends (he's part of several Christian gamer groups) also helped him deal with his dad's suicide. (Stuff he could not talk to mom about.)

So my son is 19 now. He knows, is happy and comfortable with the fact that he's a boy. At this point he seems to have a preference for male friends because he has found male friends that he's found acceptance in. He's never had a girlfriend. Not sure how many female gammer friends he has? Most of the streamer / YouTube people he watches are men. He likes Dude Perfect, Mr. Beast and Vanoss.

He identifies "orientation" as "an ACE" (asexual). Which he's fine for where he is in life and the challenges he faces. He's already decided that if he ever did find a girl he wanted to marry; he'd be surgically altered he knows he can't take care of a child.

But my son is a kind soul who doesn't really get mad unless he's "raging" at the game. He's a gentle kid. Likes Star Wars / Star Trek. Still puts together Lego sets. But he also likes gardens and cooking shows. He likes flowers (not bees though - LOL) He's a tall; skinny guy. He has health problems so he's physically not very strong. But he is a guy and he'd beat me at arm wrestling.

So you trying to figure out what kind of guy you want to be and what it means to you to be a guy; is absolutely normal. My son went through the same process and he looked to other men to help him. Yeah, I'm mom and we are close; but I can't teach him "how to be a man". I can teach him how to be a human being with integrity though.

And that's the direction I would encourage you to go. Work with God on your spiritual life and how all this applies to having a character of integrity. You're not weird. You're not gay. You are just another young adult trying to find your way in this world.

Only general advice on "dealing with sexuality" I'd give you is stay away from inappropriate content. And if it's already a problem than get help. That will mess you up in the head a lot more than trying to figure out your girlfriend's emotions. That's another thing I've had conversations with my son about. Staying away from inappropriate content. He's got a fairly strong faith though. He's been through a lot of adversity and in the grand scheme of his dealing with issues of life and death; inappropriate content and "talking smack about sex" doesn't interest him.

Upvote 0