United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’ve been a seeker a while on this site but I realised I believe in what the Bible says and I believe that Jesus died and rose again to take my penalty so that I may go to heaven - as without Him I have no chance.
Today I said to Jesus that I believe that he did die and rise again for me because without him I would go to hell because of my sin. What do I do now? I’ve attempted many times to be saved, praying and praying and getting really upset because I wanted to feel saved. I think maybe I went wrong as instead of trusting Jesus I went by feelings. I don’t feel any different now but I am trusting Jesus because of what He did.
Growing up I feared God a lot and took it very seriously and I would say I had good faith but I don’t know if I could honestly say I have ever had a relationship with God.
How can I change this? I want to have a real relationship with God now.

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’ve been a seeker a while on this site but I realised I believe in what the Bible says and I believe that Jesus died and rose again to take my penalty so that I may go to heaven - as without Him I have no chance.
Today I said to Jesus that I believe that he did die and rise again for me because without him I would go to hell because of my sin. What do I do now? I’ve attempted many times to be saved, praying and praying and getting really upset because I wanted to feel saved. I think maybe I went wrong as instead of trusting Jesus I went by feelings. I don’t feel any different now but I am trusting Jesus because of what He did.
Growing up I feared God a lot and took it very seriously and I would say I had good faith but I don’t know if I could honestly say I have ever had a relationship with God.

The first thing is to reaffirm with yourself the primary thing that all of us Christians together can count on (and I know you've heard it before): Jesus LOVES you, this I know, for the Bible tells me so!

We all have various feelings involved in our faith as we live one day to the next. I know I do. But while those feelings can fluctuate, just rest in the assurance that God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit won't stop loving you, brother! :cool:

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

• Friendly
Reactions: pantingdeer
Upvote 0

Hopeful37

Mar 20, 2020
Somewhere
✟49,318.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey Andrew,
In this instance I wouldn't worry or depend on feelings. Just do what Jesus says in terms of the 10 commandments, trust His Word, live a life of continued repentance before Him because from time to time you may fall into sin and allow Him to reveal Himself to u. Keep seeking, keep asking, keep knocking.
PS - Are u baptized?

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Yea! (Jesus said, "I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents" (Luke 15:10).

images

When you accept Christ's sacrifice and Lordship over you then there are just some basics...

The most important is to find a church family that can teach and edify you, and become a part of that local family of believers. They will walk you through sacramental aspects like baptism.

You will want a more traditional denomination like the PCA, PCUSA, Lutheran or Methodist denominations (personality depending), for a more solid grasp on Scripture... (I'm more conservative with a conservative understanding of Scripture but I understand not everyone is)... but any new Christian really needs something solidly Bible based, and the above are some safe bets, especially since you going in alone..

So that's first. then, just spend more time reading the Bible and in prayer daily. Doesn't have to take tons of time, just make certain your setting aside time in your day to God every day.

A study Bible helps, and a Bible that's easy to understand. You might like to purchase an NIV study Bible... that was my first Bible and I like it.

You'll also like a Bible app that has multiple translations of each verse, like Bible Hub has... by reading multiple translations you get a better feel for the actual underlying meaning of each verse, and therefore each parable and/or set of parables (usually given in 3's to bring out the full point or moral being transmitted)

That's really it. Church family, growth in knowledge and understanding, time with God alone..

Time, all things in time... :)

Reactions: Hopeful37
Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey Andrew,
In this instance I wouldn't worry or depend on feelings. Just do what Jesus says in terms of the 10 commandments, trust His Word, live a life of continued repentance before Him because from time to time you may fall into sin and allow Him to reveal Himself to u. Keep seeking, keep asking, keep knocking.
PS - Are u baptized?
I was baptised when I was about 8

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yea! (Jesus said, "I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents" (Luke 15:10).

images

When you accept Christ's sacrifice and Lordship over you then there are just some basics...

The most important is to find a church family that can teach and edify you, and become a part of that local family of believers. They will walk you through sacramental aspects like baptism.

You will want a more traditional denomination like the PCA, PCUSA, Lutheran or Methodist denominations (personality depending), for a more solid grasp on Scripture... (I'm more conservative with a conservative understanding of Scripture but I understand not everyone is)... but any new Christian really needs something solidly Bible based, and the above are some safe bets, especially since you going in alone..

So that's first. then, just spend more time reading the Bible and in prayer daily. Doesn't have to take tons of time, just make certain your setting aside time in your day to God every day.

A study Bible helps, and a Bible that's easy to understand. You might like to purchase an NIV study Bible... that was my first Bible and I like it.

You'll also like a Bible app that has multiple translations of each verse, like Bible Hub has... by reading multiple translations you get a better feel for the actual underlying meaning of each verse, and therefore each parable and/or set of parables (usually given in 3's to bring out the full point or moral being transmitted)

That's really it. Church family, growth in knowledge and understanding, time with God alone..

Time, all things in time... :)
Thanks for taking the time to write to me. I was actually baptised when I was about 8 and I have a NKJV bible which my mum gave me. I think the main thing is to keep trusting God - which I’ve struggled with before - and spend time with Him as you say. My family go to a church.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for taking the time to write to me. I was actually baptised when I was about 8 and I have a NKJV bible which my mum gave me. I think the main thing is to keep trusting God - which I’ve struggled with before - and spend time with Him as you say. My family go to a church.

Yep thats it. While we may be fickle in our feelings etc. God never is... trust in Him always, His promises are sure. If God is anything He's trustworthy...

I'm so happy for you, for real!

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
There are so many answers to this. My first piece of advice is silent prayer. Look at a Crucifix, any kind of religious art, something that can give you a bit of a representation of the nature of God, and just meditate on it. Bible verses work quite well for this. I've attached a picture you may find helpful:

314077_dce0f45857db6c1aa1cb0800b661e260.jpg

Another piece of my advice involves a bit of a financial commitment. Are you willing to put down $36 for an awesome Bible study? The Bible Timeline is what brought me from being very inactive in my faith to becoming a Theology major. It really focuses on the overall story of the Bible, with the narrative books, while mentioning where the other books fit in. I don't know how shipping internationally would work, but you can e-mail them and see if they may just give you access to the videos online.

The Bible Timeline: The Story of Salvation, Study Set

There are an abundance of resources out there. Looking up talks from Christian speakers can be good; John Pridmore is one of my favorites. I have a page full of talks if you want to see: Best Catholic talks?

Here's a talk I'm listening to right now; the intro is kind of slow, but it gets really good at about the 20-minute mark:
I can't tell you how it is after the 34 minute mark, but so far it's really good!

Praying for you & all seekers!:pray:

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yep thats it. While we may be fickle in our feelings etc. God never is... trust in Him always, His promises are sure. If God is anything He's trustworthy...

I'm so happy for you, for real!
Thank you :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ilikecats

Dec 27, 2019
Alberta
✟57,244.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you have faith in the work of the risen Lord Jesus Christ? If you do you are saved. The only prerequisite for salvation is faith and you are saved by grace through faith and not works lest any man should boast. This faith is given to you by God as the means of your salvation. You can build a relationship with God through prayer as well as reading the bible.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don’t feel any different now but I am trusting Jesus because of what He did.
Amen and that's all that's needed. God bless you on your journey. His word will guide you.

I want to have a real relationship with God now.
One day at a time. You'll see things happen. Bye the way, yesterday I was looking for the Easter Song you mentioned in another thread. I spent 10-15 minutes searching for it but couldn't find it...."upon that rugged tree."

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Amen and that's all that's needed. God bless you on your journey. His word will guide you.

One day at a time. You'll see things happen. Bye the way, yesterday I was looking for the Easter Song you mentioned in another thread. I spent 10-15 minutes searching for it but couldn't find it...."upon that rugged tree."
Thanks for looking. The song is really good. I heard it on Facebook but not on YouTube anywhere. I managed to find it. Hope this link work for you

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are so many answers to this. My first piece of advice is silent prayer. Look at a Crucifix, any kind of religious art, something that can give you a bit of a representation of the nature of God, and just meditate on it. Bible verses work quite well for this. I've attached a picture you may find helpful:

314077_dce0f45857db6c1aa1cb0800b661e260.jpg

Another piece of my advice involves a bit of a financial commitment. Are you willing to put down $36 for an awesome Bible study? The Bible Timeline is what brought me from being very inactive in my faith to becoming a Theology major. It really focuses on the overall story of the Bible, with the narrative books, while mentioning where the other books fit in. I don't know how shipping internationally would work, but you can e-mail them and see if they may just give you access to the videos online.

The Bible Timeline: The Story of Salvation, Study Set

There are an abundance of resources out there. Looking up talks from Christian speakers can be good; John Pridmore is one of my favorites. I have a page full of talks if you want to see: Best Catholic talks?

Here's a talk I'm listening to right now; the intro is kind of slow, but it gets really good at about the 20-minute mark:
I can't tell you how it is after the 34 minute mark, but so far it's really good!

Praying for you & all seekers!:pray:
Thank you. I’ve heard of something like those bibles before. I would say that is a worthy investment if it gives a lot of insight.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God bless you, Andrew. Salvation is something that God does. We cannot take any of the credit. First, it requires faith -- but it is impossible for any human to trust Christ. The only way it happens is if He gives you the faith. Second, salvation leads to a changed life. But WE cannot change ourselves. Without Jesus' steady guidance, I would lose my salvation and be lost in ten minutes. Third, salvation leads ultimately to our becoming ready to commune directly with God. We call that "glorification", and we cannot even imagine it.

If I were your spiritual adviser, I would not be concerned about whether you are saved at the moment or not. I would want to know that you desired relationship with God, and were trying to understand who Jesus is and how He paid for your sin. I am convinced that Jesus is drawing you to Him, and will grant you the faith you need when the time is right, if He has not done so already. When you come to realize that relationship with Jesus is everything, and quit concerning yourself with YOUR wants and needs, the time will likely be right. Do not fear when selfishness rises up again. That is not a sign of loss of salvation, but a sign you still have human weaknesses.

In short, you need Jesus' righteousness; none of your own. You will come to reflect Jesus more as you grow in the faith, but there are many ups and downs in the life of a Christian.

Upvote 0

WDSobieski

Remember you're still loved!
Mar 25, 2020
Hessen
✟26,485.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I also share quite a similar story and while I grew up at an almost completely secular hone (dad hard core atheist and mom being a lukewarm Catholic), as well as declaring myself as atheist during elementary school, yet I chose to go to church and got baptised at 11-12. The reason why I decided giving Christianity a chance is really a long story which happened to one of my uncles, who's a life long Christian and he was kind of the witness to his friends and family.

At the first two years I was very passionate about my new found faith and enjoyed youth fellowship activities, as well as volunteering. Then some horrible things happened and I was being stigmatised, isolated at the church since they "just didn't like me" for some reason. The ministers also labelled me as a "bad influence" since I was asking "too many questions" during the Bible reading activities, as well as judging me unfairly by my family background and appearance. (I come from a fairly good family while most of the members were working class, she also stated me being a spoilt rich kid of some sorts). I quitted later on and went to a church which my uncle attended, later on this was the place which I grew even more bitter about religion in general. They can be described as borderline fundamentalists with a very hard line approach on many things, the worst problem was I had almost no connection with that place and rarely did I interacted with the people there. Also another issue is the church is a very exclusive place which the members are mainly middle to upper class, spiritually and in terms of social standing they're also quite arrogant as well. In short, a passive-aggressive place with too many unwritten social rules.

Even I've moved around in the last few years and am basically thousands of miles apart from these people, and have found a decent church at my neighbourhood, I am still struggling about whether I'm really saved, also being deeply afraid of God. It's difficult for me seeing Him as loving, as my image about God is kinda brutal, cold and just absolutely righteous (only play by rules).

Upvote 0

yellowMan

Jan 26, 2020
atlanta
✟22,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It is pretty common for folks to assume that one would experience an epic hollywood movie scene with heaven opening and angels singing when you first believe. Unfortunately that doesn't happen in real life :)

In Acts (chapter 9), Paul has a dramatic conversion experience where God slaps him down in order to build him up. This was a unique event in history as God chose Paul to serve as his primary mouthpiece to the Gentiles. Paul was also given some special powers to "jump-start" Christianity to the Gentile nations (see Acts 14 for one example).

Apart from this event, I don't see ANY other earth shattering conversion experiences. That should tell you something..

As for relationship - do not get too caught up on the literal meaning of the word. If you perform a word search in KJV Bible, you won't even find the word..pretty surprising when you consider how many preachers constantly talk about your need for a relationship (and yet don't tell you how to do it).

Like someone commented above, you grow to know God better through prayer and studying His word (notice I said studying not just "let me open up the Bible and read whatever page I happened to turn to"). 2 Ti 2:15

Speaking of word search, you need to get the e-sword program. It is free and will help you do your own Bible studies.

Upvote 0