N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am beyond frustrated right now. I have so much anger inside of me, and I had been wondering why. I had a talk with my parents about some stuff that has been going on with me, and I finally realized it is from not standing up for myself and allowing people to walk all over me. I always try to be nice and kind to people in my family(this situation applies to my family members), but yet people treat me like trash and take advantage of my kindness. I always try to be nice, and up until recently, I had tried to not say anything that would offend anyone, but I should not have to shield what I have to say if it is the trust.I have always been the middle man, and tried to fix conflict, but I cannot do it anymore. I am just so tired, and I really want to know how should I go about standing up for myself appropriately.

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am beyond frustrated right now. I have so much anger inside of me, and I had been wondering why. I had a talk with my parents about some stuff that has been going on with me, and I finally realized it is from not standing up for myself and allowing people to walk all over me. I always try to be nice and kind to people in my family(this situation applies to my family members), but yet people treat me like trash and take advantage of my kindness. I always try to be nice, and up until recently, I had tried to not say anything that would offend anyone, but I should not have to shield what I have to say if it is the trust.I have always been the middle man, and tried to fix conflict, but I cannot do it anymore. I am just so tired, and I really want to know how should I go about standing up for myself appropriately.
Just be sincere but trying to avoid being rude.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It's possible to be firm, but nice, however nice can take a back seat to truth. An example is the relationship between me and my son. I love him and always will, and even when I have to be firm I try to do so lovingly. Of course he will say and do things which anger me, but love holds me back most of the time, sometimes I have to punish him because I love him and want what's best for him to learn and not get into trouble as he gets older. With family, I learned to be more quiet, and try to listen more, but not to shy away from respectful disagreement. That's really the key to disagreement, respect. I still struggle with standing up for myself and others, especially in the face of disrespectful anger, but neither do I wish to act upon emotions which could land me in jail. :D So keeping the emotions in check is important, and I need this reminder myself.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I ran across these ideas. They sound great, but I came from a dysfunctional family who were pretty narcississtic, so they were determined to never give in and always find fault with me. I like and agree with Apologetic Warrior's advice.
HOW TO BE ASSERTIVE WITHOUT BEING AGGRESSIVE
worker_with_arms_crossed_iStock_89878783_XLARGE.jpg

According to a series of studies published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology in 2007, for assertiveness to be effective, it needs to be applied in exactly the right amount. Too much and you may be seen as overly aggressive. Too little and you may be thought of as passive.

These particular studies, which quizzed US workers about their colleagues’ leadership strengths and weaknesses, discovered that the most common weakness the volunteers complained about was their co-workers’ assertiveness – either they were too assertive or not assertive enough.

Using the right amount of assertiveness can help you to communicate honestly and clearly; whereas if you’re not assertive enough you may be afraid to speak up. But if on the other hand if you’re too assertive, others may not appreciate the way you interrupt and talk over them.

Similarly a lack of assertiveness may make you agree with other people – even if you feel they’re wrong – while those who are overly assertive are more likely to only consider their own feelings and not those of others.

The trick then is to get the balance right. Here are some tips to help boost your assertiveness without using aggression:

Be clear
Try to ask for what you want openly and in a straightforward manner, and state your feelings clearly without directly or indirectly demeaning the other person. Speak in a normal conversational tone rather than too softly or too loudly, and don’t make demands or try to appeal to the other person’s emotions to manipulate them or force them into doing something.

Make eye contact
It’s well understood that people respond to those who make eye contact more positively than those who try to avoid eye contact altogether. But make sure you use the right amount – it’s never a good idea to stare (a sure sign of aggressive behaviour), so aim to make eye contact for around 70% of the time. This will help communicate that you’re interested in the other person, that you respect their opinions and that you’re willing to listen to them.

Keep your posture positive
Body language is an essential element of assertiveness. Adopt an upright and relaxed posture, and lean forward slightly towards the other person without infringing on their personal space, keeping your arms hanging down by your sides (don’t fold them). Keep your facial expression neutral or positive – make sure your jaw is soft rather than clenched or set – and avoid using lots of hand movements or dramatic gestures. Try practicing your body posture in the mirror, and if it helps, rehearse what you want to say out loud at the same time.

Do your homework
If you’re making a request, you’ll feel a lot more confident and less likely to become aggressive or defensive if you can back it up calmly when challenged. Do your homework and research first. If you’re asking your employer for a pay rise, for example, prepare your case by noting down why you think you deserve one. This could include how you’ve saved the company money or brought in new business, or the key objectives you’ve met during the past year.

Take time out
If you have a tendency to become angry or frustrated when faced with a difficult situation, try to delay dealing with it until you feel calmer. It may not be easy to always keep your emotions in check, but you’ll have a better chance of doing so if you avoid going into situations with all guns blazing.

Avoid accusing
Try not to react to situations by blaming others, as the most likely outcome is that you’ll be seen as aggressive while others may feel hurt and become defensive. Use statements that begin with ‘I’ rather than ‘you’, as they’re less likely to make others feel attacked or blamed. For instance, say ‘I disagree’ rather than, ‘you made a mistake’. Or ‘I feel frustrated’ rather than, ‘you make me angry’. This allows you to voice your reactions to the situation instead of putting the other person directly in the frame.

Keep your cool
It’s rarely easy to deal with confrontations, and even the calmest among us can lose control of their emotions if they feel they’re being treated unfairly. But blowing your top isn’t the way to assert yourself effectively. By all means say that you’re angry – after all, you have every right to stand up for yourself if you feel you’re being challenged – but try to do so in a calm and respectful manner.
https://www.caba.org.uk/help-and-guides/information/how-be-assertive-without-being-aggressive

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

andy b

Site Supporter
Nov 9, 2013
uk
✟75,681.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Being a Christan isn't about being a door mat ...there's a difference between being nice and being a mug I ain't no better than anyone else but they ain't better than me .....we have lost our sense of who we are I tell my girls if some one tells u to do something you fell uneasy about no matter who it is you stand your ground and say no .....

• Agree
Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In my own experiences, I know what you are talking about. Dying to myself and allowing God to guide me was the best decision in my life. Looking back before fully surrendering to Jesus Christ, I didn't realize that God was using situations to teach me His ways.
However, you're right that we cannot always "lay down" when truth is involved. Jesus offended many people even when He spoke in love. People don't always take sincerity as love and yes, many people do take advantage of kindness, or even mistake kindness as being a "pushover".

I would take this to God and allow Him to step in and guide you. :yellowheart:

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
it is from not standing up for myself and allowing people to walk all over me.
This is really a blessing in disguise, because after you settle down you can deal with it and change. Ephesians (ch 4 I think) tells us to "speak the truth in love". Sometimes we blur the two because we don't want to make waves or upset the apple cart. But at some point withholding truth actually equates to withholding love.

If we speak the truth in rancor, we're going to get rejected. If we do it in love, there's a chance it will be received. But even if it isn't received, we've done what we're supposed to do and can have a clean conscience. We gain a lot of freedom when our motivations are right.

So we need to distinguish between what we say and how we say it, and make sure our motivation is right (it should have the person's best interests at heart, which equals love) and then we are free to speak the truth.

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's possible to be firm, but nice, however nice can take a back seat to truth. An example is the relationship between me and my son. I love him and always will, and even when I have to be firm I try to do so lovingly. Of course he will say and do things which anger me, but love holds me back most of the time, sometimes I have to punish him because I love him and want what's best for him to learn and not get into trouble as he gets older. With family, I learned to be more quiet, and try to listen more, but not to shy away from respectful disagreement. That's really the key to disagreement, respect. I still struggle with standing up for myself and others, especially in the face of disrespectful anger, but neither do I wish to act upon emotions which could land me in jail. :D So keeping the emotions in check is important, and I need this reminder myself.
Yeah I rarely get upset, but I have just bottled up so much from keeping my mouth shut when I should have said something. I'm trying to do better at analyzing my anger and seeing if what I am upset about is really important or not. I really cannot stand conflict or confrontation, so this is a breakthrough for me right now.

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is really a blessing in disguise, because after you settle down you can deal with it and change. Ephesians (ch 4 I think) tells us to "speak the truth in love". Sometimes we blur the two because we don't want to make waves or upset the apple cart. But at some point withholding truth actually equates to withholding love.

If we speak the truth in rancor, we're going to get rejected. If we do it in love, there's a chance it will be received. But even if it isn't received, we've done what we're supposed to do and can have a clean conscience. We gain a lot of freedom when our motivations are right.

So we need to distinguish between what we say and how we say it, and make sure our motivation is right (it should have the person's best interests at heart, which equals love) and then we are free to speak the truth.
Yeah I have always tried not to rock the boat, but I realize I am not being truthful to myself or others if I don't tell the truth when necessary.

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In my own experiences, I know what you are talking about. Dying to myself and allowing God to guide me was the best decision in my life. Looking back before fully surrendering to Jesus Christ, I didn't realize that God was using situations to teach me His ways.
However, you're right that we cannot always "lay down" when truth is involved. Jesus offended many people even when He spoke in love. People don't always take sincerity as love and yes, many people do take advantage of kindness, or even mistake kindness as being a "pushover".

I would take this to God and allow Him to step in and guide you. :yellowheart:
I can admit I have not fully surrendered every area of my life to God, and I definitely need to, because so much has happened within the past year from me learning how to speak the truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Being a Christan isn't about being a door mat ...there's a difference between being nice and being a mug I ain't no better than anyone else but they ain't better than me .....we have lost our sense of who we are I tell my girls if some one tells u to do something you fell uneasy about no matter who it is you stand your ground and say no .....
Yeah I usually do tend to be a doormat to people, but I realize that God does not want me to be that to people, and being a doormat helps no one.

Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I ran across these ideas. They sound great, but I came from a dysfunctional family who were pretty narcississtic, so they were determined to never give in and always find fault with me. I like and agree with Apologetic Warrior's advice.
HOW TO BE ASSERTIVE WITHOUT BEING AGGRESSIVE
worker_with_arms_crossed_iStock_89878783_XLARGE.jpg

According to a series of studies published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology in 2007, for assertiveness to be effective, it needs to be applied in exactly the right amount. Too much and you may be seen as overly aggressive. Too little and you may be thought of as passive.

These particular studies, which quizzed US workers about their colleagues’ leadership strengths and weaknesses, discovered that the most common weakness the volunteers complained about was their co-workers’ assertiveness – either they were too assertive or not assertive enough.

Using the right amount of assertiveness can help you to communicate honestly and clearly; whereas if you’re not assertive enough you may be afraid to speak up. But if on the other hand if you’re too assertive, others may not appreciate the way you interrupt and talk over them.

Similarly a lack of assertiveness may make you agree with other people – even if you feel they’re wrong – while those who are overly assertive are more likely to only consider their own feelings and not those of others.

The trick then is to get the balance right. Here are some tips to help boost your assertiveness without using aggression:

Be clear
Try to ask for what you want openly and in a straightforward manner, and state your feelings clearly without directly or indirectly demeaning the other person. Speak in a normal conversational tone rather than too softly or too loudly, and don’t make demands or try to appeal to the other person’s emotions to manipulate them or force them into doing something.

Make eye contact
It’s well understood that people respond to those who make eye contact more positively than those who try to avoid eye contact altogether. But make sure you use the right amount – it’s never a good idea to stare (a sure sign of aggressive behaviour), so aim to make eye contact for around 70% of the time. This will help communicate that you’re interested in the other person, that you respect their opinions and that you’re willing to listen to them.

Keep your posture positive
Body language is an essential element of assertiveness. Adopt an upright and relaxed posture, and lean forward slightly towards the other person without infringing on their personal space, keeping your arms hanging down by your sides (don’t fold them). Keep your facial expression neutral or positive – make sure your jaw is soft rather than clenched or set – and avoid using lots of hand movements or dramatic gestures. Try practicing your body posture in the mirror, and if it helps, rehearse what you want to say out loud at the same time.

Do your homework
If you’re making a request, you’ll feel a lot more confident and less likely to become aggressive or defensive if you can back it up calmly when challenged. Do your homework and research first. If you’re asking your employer for a pay rise, for example, prepare your case by noting down why you think you deserve one. This could include how you’ve saved the company money or brought in new business, or the key objectives you’ve met during the past year.

Take time out
If you have a tendency to become angry or frustrated when faced with a difficult situation, try to delay dealing with it until you feel calmer. It may not be easy to always keep your emotions in check, but you’ll have a better chance of doing so if you avoid going into situations with all guns blazing.

Avoid accusing
Try not to react to situations by blaming others, as the most likely outcome is that you’ll be seen as aggressive while others may feel hurt and become defensive. Use statements that begin with ‘I’ rather than ‘you’, as they’re less likely to make others feel attacked or blamed. For instance, say ‘I disagree’ rather than, ‘you made a mistake’. Or ‘I feel frustrated’ rather than, ‘you make me angry’. This allows you to voice your reactions to the situation instead of putting the other person directly in the frame.

Keep your cool
It’s rarely easy to deal with confrontations, and even the calmest among us can lose control of their emotions if they feel they’re being treated unfairly. But blowing your top isn’t the way to assert yourself effectively. By all means say that you’re angry – after all, you have every right to stand up for yourself if you feel you’re being challenged – but try to do so in a calm and respectful manner.
https://www.caba.org.uk/help-and-guides/information/how-be-assertive-without-being-aggressive
Thanks I will look into this.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yeah I have always tried not to rock the boat, but I realize I am not being truthful to myself or others if I don't tell the truth when necessary.
It's going to be so awesome when you overcome this! If I may make a couple more suggestions.

It's ok to be angry. "Cast your cares upon Him, for He cares for you". Tell God how you feel. Be honest, but stay aware of Whom you're talking to so you can maintain reverence. But don't hold onto the anger (Eph 5.19, I believe). Let Holy Spirit get to whatever it is that has had you in bondage - fear of man, fear of rejection, or whatever. Let His love inflow and fill you, and touch the wound and heal you. God will work everything for the good (Rom 8.28), and you are going to come out of this with freedom and power.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It's going to be so awesome when you overcome this! If I may make a couple more suggestions.

It's ok to be angry. "Cast your cares upon Him, for He cares for you". Tell God how you feel. Be honest, but stay aware of Whom you're talking to so you can maintain reverence. But don't hold onto the anger (Eph 5.19, I believe). Let Holy Spirit get to whatever it is that has had you in bondage - fear of man, fear of rejection, or whatever. Let His love inflow and fill you, and touch the wound and heal you. God will work everything for the good (Rom 8.28), and you are going to come out of this with freedom and power.

LOVE this! We learn from what we endure!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yeah I rarely get upset, but I have just bottled up so much from keeping my mouth shut when I should have said something. I'm trying to do better at analyzing my anger and seeing if what I am upset about is really important or not. I really cannot stand conflict or confrontation, so this is a breakthrough for me right now.

I've been there, done that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Thank you, this is very encouraging

• Friendly
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can admit I have not fully surrendered every area of my life to God, and I definitely need to, because so much has happened within the past year from me learning how to speak the truth.

I will pray for you, sister! So much has happened from all areas of my life up to now, and even the future that God holds for my husband and I. Surrendering to God in all areas of life is vital. To seek Him always in every thing is what He wants from us. I read a story about Asa (2 Chronicles 14-16) not too long ago and this one stuck with me, probably meant to share :)

Summary: Asa started out well with God but then something happened, and Asa turned away from God and sought human knowledge/opinions rather than going to God. Give it a read, it might help you in your current situation. :yellowheart:

Upvote 0

Coffey

Apr 26, 2019
Buffalo, NY
✟16,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This happens to me all the time. Totally understand your frustration... I get mad about it too, and that's okay. Just don't let the actions of those around you morph this characteristic you have. Kindness is frankly a rarity (as this is typically what happens to the kind ones!), and it's seriously special to those who are willing to cherish it.

Don't change!!

Upvote 0

embemboo

Jun 29, 2019
Huntington Beach
✟7,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think it's important to remember to have respect for ourselves, just as we respect others. If someone in your family is taking advantage of you or is offending you in some way, ask yourself: how would I go about this situation if this were happening to my best friend/someone I love? Then try to address it in the most loving way you can from that standpoint. If that seems too difficult still, ask someone you trust for help. Just because you are standing up for yourself and voicing your opinions doesn't mean you are being unkind or bossy.

Upvote 0

Drifter91

Jul 6, 2019
Seoul
✟14,547.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
just don't let your relationship with your family members go past your fingertips. although it is always good to see help in a family relationship from the outside, on the inside, it's more complicated than looking from the outside most of the time but you're doing good doing your best you can do i think. it's good to think about what you feel, it's okay to do it too. and of course, it's okay to think about if other people think you're happy.

Upvote 0