US
✟1,096,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
We do not know if the universe has an end it might be flat or it might be in the shape of a donut.

450px-Observable_Universe_with_Measurements_01.png

Observable universe - Wikipedia

Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It would be turned upside down because they would possess all the gravity in/of the universe at once.

This notion fails, as the universe already possesses all of the gravity in the universe at once, yet it continues to expand.

In order for that momentum to be reversed, there would have to be a greater opposing force. You have not identified this greater opposing force, nor have you accounted for unrecoverable heat.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This notion fails, as the universe already possesses all of the gravity in the universe at once, yet it continues to expand.

In order for that momentum to be reversed, there would have to be a greater opposing force. You have not identified this greater opposing force, nor have you accounted for unrecoverable heat.

...But the gravity is spread out too thickly at this point in time. The sum of the pressure on black holes increases as it becomes both larger and alone. It's 2X.. The mathematical factor doesn't count for this reaction that takes place when dust no longer exists.

...The possibility simply hasn't crossed their mind, and so it was left out of the equations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
...But the gravity is spread out too thickly at this point in time. The sum of the pressure on black holes increases as it becomes both larger and alone. The mathematical factor doesn't count for this reaction that takes place when dust no longer exists.

The gravity of the matter in the universe is spread out; and the vast majority of it, continues to spread farther out. There are a relatively few pockets, we call black holes, where matter is being accumulated; but the vast majority of all matter and energy is moving away from these black holes.

Try looking at it this simplified analogy. If you build a campfire and puts some rocks around it, those rocks will capture and store some of the heat; but most of the heat of that fire will rise up into space. When the fire goes out, the heat that went into space wont come back to the rocks.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The gravity of the matter in the universe is spread out; and the vast majority of it, continues to spread farther out. There are a relatively few pockets, we call black holes, where matter is being accumulated; but the vast majority of all matter and energy is moving away from these black holes.

Try looking at it this simplified analogy. If you build a campfire and puts some rocks around it, those rocks will capture and store some of the heat; but most of the heat of that fire will rise up into space. When the fire goes out, the heat that went into space wont come back to the rocks.

But isn't it true that our sun, and our entire galaxy will one day be consumed by our black hole?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The observable universe is not the whole universe.

I think I see what you're getting at; for example, just because I haven't actually seen a rainbow unicorn, doesn't mean that they don't actually exist.

I'll just stick with the empirical evidence for now.

Let's keep it real.

• Haha
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
But isn't it true that our sun, and our entire galaxy will one day be consumed by our black hole?

Most of the radiant energy from our sun, leaves our solar system, never to return. This happens as the sun loses mass. When the sun loses mass, its' gravity is diminished. Now, if a photon's momentum can escape the sun's gravity at the sun's peak gravity; why would the momentum of that photon reverse and move toward the sun's state of diminished gravity?

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most of the radiant energy from our sun, leaves our solar system, never to return. This happens as the sun loses mass. When the sun loses mass, its' gravity is diminished. Now, if a photon's momentum can escape the sun's gravity at the sun's peak gravity; why would the momentum of that photon reverse and move toward the sun's state of diminished gravity?

It wouldn't because of it's momentum. But large objects, like earth, will gradually become consumed by the black hole. We can't forget that planets, solar systems and galaxies all did form, even as spacetime constantly expands... So we know it happens.

Upvote 0

Simon D

Apr 10, 2021
Scotland
✟16,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I think I see what you're getting at; for example, just because I haven't actually seen a rainbow unicorn, doesn't mean that they don't actually exist.

I'll just stick with the empirical evidence for now.

Let's keep it real.
No you don't see what I'm getting at. The universe is estimated at about 14 billion years old, the universe is expanding (possibly at the speed of light). There is a limit to how fast light can travel so most of the universe light isn't able to reach us so we can't see it. We need to use mathematical equations and inferences to guess the shape of the universe.

The shape of the observable universe is a ball because light speed is a constant, so what we can see reaches us from all directions, but that's got nothing to do with it's shape.

It's a bit like a ship in the ocean, we can see the ocean but that does not mean that the ocean is circular because we cannot see the shore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It wouldn't because of it's momentum. But large objects, like earth, will gradually become consumed by the black hole. We can't forget that planets, solar systems and galaxies all did form, even as spacetime constantly expands... So we know it happens.

Either you aren't directly responding to the question; or you are working on the presumption that the sun will eventually become a black hole.

What we know, is that there are small pockets of concentrations (planets, stars, black holes,) within a greater dilution of plasma (the expanding universe). You assume that that the earth will eventually be consumed by the sun; but it could just as easily move in the opposite direction, as the sun loses mass. The earth could be cast out of our solar system, easily being thrown clear of any black holes.

As all motion ceases at absolute zero; and matter is dependent on motion to exist; and that inefficiencies in this motion are dissipated as heat; and that heat is radiated in all directions; the earth would eventually be reduced to unrecoverable heat, dispersed over infinite space, with a temperature that harmonically approaches absolute zero, over infinite time.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
No you don't see what I'm getting at. The universe is estimated at about 14 billion years old, the universe is expanding (possibly at the speed of light). There is a limit to how fast light can travel so most of the universe light isn't able to reach us so we can't see it. We need to use mathematical equations and inferences to guess the shape of the universe.

The shape of the observable universe is a ball because light speed is a constant, so what we can see reaches us from all directions, but that's got nothing to do with it's shape.

It's a bit like a ship in the ocean, we can see the ocean but that does not mean that the ocean is circular because we cannot see the shore.

Radiant energy propagates in all directions. This is observable. Why would you suppose that this basic principle of physics wouldn't apply to what has not been observed?

Upvote 0

Simon D

Apr 10, 2021
Scotland
✟16,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Radiant energy propagates in all directions. This is observable. Why would you suppose that this basic principle of physics wouldn't apply to what has not been observed?
I didn't say that, I said that you can't see it (just like how you can't see the shore when you are somewhere in the ocean).

• Agree
Reactions: Sorn
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I didn't say that, I said that you can't see it (just like how you can't see the shore when you are somewhere in the ocean).

What I don't assume, when I'm out in the ocean, is that the Inverse Square Law has ceased to apply on shore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You've lost me mate and I don't think I want to be found right now :)

Electromagnetic radiation propagates equally in all directions from its' origin. In other words, it creates a sphere, in absence of any impedance.

Upvote 0

Simon D

Apr 10, 2021
Scotland
✟16,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Electromagnetic radiation propagates equally in all directions from its' origin. In other words, it creates a sphere, in absence of any impedance.
OK I'll try one more time but I don't know why.

When you are in an ocean the ocean looks the shape of a circle, but we know from a map that it has a different shape. The reason for this is because we cannot see the whole of the ocean.

So it is when we look at the universe, the observable universe is a fraction of the whole universe.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
OK I'll try one more time but I don't know why.

When you are in an ocean the ocean looks the shape of a circle, but we know from a map that it has a different shape. The reason for this is because we cannot see the whole of the ocean.

So it is when we look at the universe, the observable universe is a fraction of the whole universe.

I'll try one more time.

Do you believe that the laws of physics behave differently in different parts of the universe; or do you believe that the laws of physics are universal?

I can't see what's going on in China; but I trust that the light coming off of their light bulbs moves in all directions, just like mine.

Upvote 0

Simon D

Apr 10, 2021
Scotland
✟16,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'll try one more time.

Do you believe that the laws of physics behave differently in different parts of the universe; or do you believe that the laws of physics are universal?
Yes I believe that the laws are universal. It's because of this that I know that the shape of the observable universe is different to the shape of the whole universe.
I can't see what's going on in China; but I trust that the light coming off of their light bulbs moves in all directions, just like mine.
Yes I believe the laws are universal.

It's because of this that I know that the shape of the observable universe is different to the shape of the whole universe.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yes I believe the laws are universal.

It's because of this that I know that the shape of the observable universe is different to the shape of the whole universe.

The shape of the observable universe is a sphere. EMR moves in all directions at equal speed in a vacuum. Based on these physical principals, how could you come to any other conclusion then that the whole universe is spherical?

Upvote 0