Worcestershire
✟161,315.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There are some big differences in attitude between UK and US Christians towards money and its acquisition. For example, I learned at church (in UK) about it being easier for a rich man to pass through the eye of a needle than to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. This teaching seems to be forgotten by many American denominations.
Perhaps distance obscures ...

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟483,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I learned at church (in UK) about it being easier for a rich man to pass through the eye of a needle than to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

Welcome to CF!

The scripture you are referring to is talking about a person who becomes more dependent on money than they are on God. It's not bad to be rich - but if you are rich your money can pull you away from God.

Nevertheless, you are right, some churches seem to have lost their way.

• Agree
Reactions: Dansiph
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are some big differences in attitude between UK and US Christians towards money and its acquisition. For example, I learned at church (in UK) about it being easier for a rich man to pass through the eye of a needle than to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. This teaching seems to be forgotten by many American denominations.
I realised this was an introduction. Welcome to CF! :grinning:

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Each church is different, even within the same denominations.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟161,315.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's probably different depending on the church, not the country. I assume
What is different for different churches - surely not the Bible?
I do understand about cultural differences across the Atlantic, but surely the message of material wealth being a hindrance to entering Heaven survived the crossing? It seems close to the core of Christian teaching.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do understand about cultural differences across the Atlantic, but surely the message of material wealth being a hindrance to entering Heaven survived the crossing? It seems close to the core of Christian teaching.
I'm not sure tbh. I think it's probably mentioned in both areas but more apparent here

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello. You notice that three posters before me mentioned that it depends on which churches we are looking at. I absolutely agree with that.

Generally speaking, the emphasis that you are referring to is uncharacteristic of the major denominations that most people belong to. It is more commonly found among the smaller, independent congregations whose members are mainly from the lower income levels of society. The message you are referring to has an appeal for obvious reasons...and I suspect that you will find that the same holds true for the UK as well.

Upvote 0

Its True

Dec 10, 2018
Private
✟8,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

This is a very much non-overlooked topic. There are many verses in the Bible that teach against lusting after worldly wealth.
(Matthew 6:19-21)
*19* Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
*20* But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
*21* For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
(1 Timothy 6:7-10)
*7* For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
*8* And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
*9* But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
*10* For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
(Matthew 6:24)
*24* No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

I can go on.

The bottom line, if we concern ourselves with nothing but worldly temptations and worries, we'll stay worldly. In a society saturated in Capitalism, I can only pray for the souls of my brothers and sisters. I myself find that I am a slave to the system. I work, pay bills, acquire property, and do it all over again, every day. However, I try and be content with my current position while in the back of my mind I pray for his return.

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In a society saturated in Capitalism, I can only pray for the souls of my brothers and sisters. I myself find that I am a slave to the system. I work, pay bills, acquire property, and do it all over again, every day. However, I try and be content with my current position while in the back of my mind I pray for his return.
Keep in mind the fact that in non-Capitalist countries, who gets what property is even more the focus.

Upvote 0