I have become disenchanted with Christian Religion...

TozerBGood

Everything costs more and takes longer.
Oct 21, 2012
Oregon
✟15,292.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why is everyone so quick to make an attempt to instill a sense of fear into someone considering leaving the church of today? What are you so afraid of?

Do you not know that Christ consist in the spirit and not the letter? He speaks of this himself in John 5:39, and again by Paul in 2 Corinthians 3:17-18.

Perfect love casts out fear. So if you are truly of God, would it not be better for you to show him this side or your character as Christ did? You listed all these things of what he may become that are negative, but nothing positive.

Why is it thought that the only place one can be accountable is in a church?

WHo said that?

Upvote 0

Reed000Naoi

Single Texas Rancher
Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
✟7,655.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
TozerBGood: Very well said! But I see even more angles worth considering. There are many people who are perfectly comfortable with their Christianity, with their church and its theology. And we should admire them and encourage them to stay with it and grow spiritually. I suspect, though, that most ordinary church-goers are there for other reasons besides the theology: They like the serene atmosphere, the music, the overall feel of the service, or the fellowship of being around people they love. Or they are there because it is their family's tradition. In truth, many of them really don't give much serious thought to what the preacher is preaching or what the Bible really says. Right? Again, there is nothing wrong with that. It's the way most people approach their religion. And, if it puts their heart, mind and soul at peace, that's what religion is for. But what about those who DO listen attentively and who DO ponder?

What about those who think of themselves as Christian, who cannot imagine giving up the trappings of their church and its traditions but who, at the same time, in their heart of hearts, come away feeling unfulfilled, feeling like a bit of a hypocrit because they DO pay attention to the words of scripture being preached...and are haunted by doubts or confusion?

Is it fair that they should feel compelled, on principle alone, to give up their Christianity entirely and walk the lonely path of the agnostic, the atheist, the stigmatized? I am one of these 'thinking' Christians myself. And I would like to see a church where the doctrine goes a little like this: "We don't know what is true--nor does anyone, nor can they. So let us spend a relatively small portion of our time dwelling on those unsolvable mysteries and a much greater amount of time sharing and appreciating the wisdom of the man Jesus and the guidelines for righteous living it seems (by his actual words) he was trying to convey. Let us be persons of goodwill, as he was, and devote our time to keeping this world--HIS world--simple, beautiful, peaceful and positive."

That, it seems to me, should be much closer to the way of the real Jesus than the gloomy, cryptic portrait offered by John, Paul and so many other ancient writers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0