Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I just finished reading the bible. i am a little confused, is God and jesus the same or are they different entities?

The problem is that the full titles aren't being used.

God is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Each can also be called God on their own.

So there is God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

Jesus is God, but Jesus is not God the Father because he is God the Son.

• Winner
Reactions: TedT
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have God The Father, who is One with God the Son and God the Spirit, One God with three personalities in it. Father, Son And Holy Ghost.

The Father gives glory to the Son, The Holy Spirit to The Son and the Son to The Father. This is why we talk about the Holy Trinity as one God.

John 14 is a really interesting read because all of the three God heads are mentioned in one context - God living in our Hearts.

Verse 15 "If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. "

and verse 23 "Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them."

Peace

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,924,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I just finished reading the bible. i am a little confused, is God and jesus the same or are they different entities?
Hello James, I see that you are a brand new member, so first off, WELCOME TO CF :wave:

As for your question, the Bible teaches us that there is only one God, but it also tells us that this one and only God exists, both from and to everlasting, as three different/distinct Persons. We, in fact, baptize in the "singular" name of God, and that singular name is, "the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit" .. Matthew 28:19.

The doctrine of the Trinity was formulated by the church to circumscribe and safeguard the truth that the Bible teaches us about the nature of the Godhead, not explain it, as that is simply beyond any of us (at least on this side of the grave anyway). It’s called a Biblical "mystery" because, even though we cannot fully comprehend it with our finite minds we, nevertheless, know that it is true (because the Bible tells us that it is :preach:).

Here's a diagram that may help, and a funny video from our friends at Lutheran Satire, that takes a humorous but correct look at what the Trinity is "not" (and why analogies, like ice/water/vapor, are never capable of explaining it properly .. enjoy :)).

Here you go:

Trinity Triangle.png

God bless you!

--David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Anyone who says that they truly understand God is deluded. How to explain it? I will try.
First up, God is God. God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. They are one yet appear in 3 forms and have different roles. I think of it like water. Ice, liquid water and water vapour have the same chemical composition. They can be present at the same time. Yet to us they appear different. It's not a perfect analogy because God is a Person, not a thing.

This article may help

Understanding the Trinity | Cru

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

That's somewhat debatable. It's made clear that they work with and though each other. Jesus said I and the Father are one. John calls Jesus the Word and says the Word was God. Jesus worked through the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit intercedes with us when we're praying to the Father. Jesus talked about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. And there's many other examples. So it seems a reasonable conclusion a symbiotic relationship that exists between the three.

Here's a good lecture on the subject of the Trinity:

Upvote 0

james p shockey

Jan 20, 2021
Williamstown
✟15,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
thank u all, my question really came from the concern of who to pray to? and i searched and found this:

When I need to address my prayers to my teacher, my savior, the one who’s walked on this earth and knows firsthand my struggles, then I pray to Jesus.

When I’m praising and worshipping, asking forgiveness and accepting grace, asking for guidance or praying for the needs of others, I usually pray to God.

Praying in the Holy Spirit
The Holy Spirit has a unique role in prayer. The Holy Spirit intercedes for us, helps us pray, and even prays for us when we don’t have the words.

Does this sound right?

Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
thank u all, my question really came from the concern of who to pray to? and i searched and found this:

When I need to address my prayers to my teacher, my savior, the one who’s walked on this earth and knows firsthand my struggles, then I pray to Jesus.

When I’m praising and worshipping, asking forgiveness and accepting grace, asking for guidance or praying for the needs of others, I usually pray to God.

Praying in the Holy Spirit
The Holy Spirit has a unique role in prayer. The Holy Spirit intercedes for us, helps us pray, and even prays for us when we don’t have the words.

Does this sound right?

Jesus taught us to pray to the Father. Matthew 6:5-14

Paul talks of an intimacy with God that we call out Abba Father, which basically means "daddy" Romans 8:12-17

We ask of the Father in the name of Jesus John 14:12-14

I'd say to read all of John 14.

But I think you have a good handle on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Anyone who says that they truly understand God is deluded. How to explain it? I will try.
First up, God is God. God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. They are one yet appear in 3 forms and have different roles. I think of it like water. Ice, liquid water and water vapour have the same chemical composition. They can be present at the same time. Yet to us they appear different. It's not a perfect analogy because God is a Person, not a thing.

Can you explain that a bit more? Is God a person or persons (plural)?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

1. Jesus IS God, so there's no Jesus OR God involved with this.

2. As for praying, what did Jesus say about it? The answer is that he said to pray to the FATHER ("Our Father, who art in heaven....")

3. And he also said to ask in his (Jesus') name.

THEREFORE, pray to the Father and conclude your prayer by adding that you are asking or whatever...in Jesus' name.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
They are different entities with the same authority. Jesus was not praying to Himself when He hung on the cross or was in the wilderness and God was not talking to Himself when He said " This is My Son with whom I am well pleased." God the Father, the Almighty gave Jesus the Authority but Authority comes from the Father. The Holy Spirit is the Holy Spirit of the Father, and all 3 have existed since the Creation of the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TedT

Member since Job 38:7
Jan 11, 2021
Vancouver Island
✟85,846.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have God The Father, who is One with God the Son and God the Spirit, One God with three personalities in it. Father, Son And Holy Ghost.
To avoid thinking the singular GOD has a split personality it is better maybe to say one GOD with three PERSONS in unity, :)

• Agree
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To avoid thinking the singular GOD has a split personality it is better maybe to say one GOD with three PERSONS in unity, :)
Yes. And the word "personalities" in the post you are referring to certainly is misleading to begin with.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,095,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

DUE TO MULTIPLE QUESTIONABLE POSTS

241634_a435e7c864cf3d1d54069d68f79ef38b_thumb.jpg

Please read the CF SOF to avoid making questionable posts on this subject:

Statement of Faith

The Nicene Creed

We believe in (Romans 10:8-10; 1John 4:15)

ONE God, (Deuteronomy 6:4, Ephesians 4:6)

the Father (Matthew 6:9)

Almighty, (Exodus 6:3)

Maker of Heaven and Earth, (Genesis 1:1)

and of all things visible and invisible. (Colossians 1:15-16)

And in ONE Lord Jesus Christ, (Acts 11:17)

the Son of God, (Mathew 14:33; 16:16)

the Only-Begotten, (John 1:18; 3:16)

Begotten of the Father before all ages. (John 1:2)

Light of Light; (Psalm 27:1; John 8:12; Matthew 17:2,5)

True God of True God; (John 17:1-5)

Begotten, not made; (John 1:18)

of one essence with the Father (John 10:30)

by whom all things were made; (Hebrews 1:1-2)

Who for us men and for our salvation (1Timothy 2:4-5)

came down from Heaven, (John 6:33,35)

and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, (Luke 1:35)

and became man. (John 1:14)

And was crucified for us (Mark 15:25; 1Cointhians 15:3)

under Pontius Pilate, (John 19:6)

and suffered, (Mark 8:31)

and was buried. (Luke 23:53; 1Corinthians 15:4)

And the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures. (Luke 24:1 1Corinthians 15:4)

And ascended into Heaven, (Luke 24:51; Acts 1:10)

and sits at the right hand of the Father. (Mark 16:19; Acts 7:55)

And He shall come again with glory (Matthew 24:27)

to judge the living and the dead; (Acts 10:42; 2Timothy 4:1)

whose Kingdom shall have no end. (2 Peter 1:11)

And in the Holy Spirit, (John 14:26)

the Lord, (Acts 5:3-4)

the Giver of Life, (Genesis 1:2)

Who proceeds from the Father; (John 15:26)

Who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; (Matthew 3:16-17)

Who spoke through the prophets. (1 Samuel 19:20 ; Ezekiel 11:5,13) In one, (Matthew 16: 18)

holy, (1 Peter 2:5,9)

catholic*, (Mark 16:15)

and apostolic Church. (Acts 2:42; Ephesians 2:19-22)

I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins**. (Ephesians 4:5; Acts 2:38)

I look for the resurrection of the dead, (John 11:24; 1Corinthians 15:12-49; Hebrews 6:2; Revelation 20:5)

and the life of the world to come. (Mark 10:29-30)

AMEN. (Psalm 106:48)

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.