I have a question about cultural appropriation.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think I miss understood Ken's question. He was asking if a minority could appropriate another minorities culture. I took it as him asking if a minority could appropriate from a majority.
No; I was asking if a minority could appropriate from other minorities, or the majority. To suggest the majority stealing from the minority is wrong, but the minority stealing from the majority is okay is bigotry.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I really disagree, language is very much a part of a culture. It's even part of the subcultures within the US.
Does learning spanish make you a part of the culture in Spain? Does learning English make you a part of the culture in England? Language can be a part of culture, but just learning the language does not make you a part of any culture; especially when you consider many cultures will share the same language.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does learning spanish make you a part of the culture in Spain? Does learning English make you a part of the culture in England? Language can be a part of culture, but just learning the language does not make you a part of any culture; especially when you consider many cultures will share the same language.
Hmm...did I say what you say? Did I imply what you are saying? Wait, let me go look.
........Nope. :wave:

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hmm...did I say what you say? Did I imply what you are saying? Wait, let me go look.
........Nope. :wave:

Post #128 you said:
When people come here, to a predominantly English speaking country, and they learn to speak English is that not assimilating to our culture?

To which I responded:
No! English is a language; not a culture.

Post #146 I made the point that learning a language does not mean you are assimilating to the culture associated with that language using Spain and England as examples.
Perhaps I misunderstood you; what did you mean in post #128?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The very first "Rap" I heard was from the early 1970s. The guy was blonde and had blue eyes. It was a brand new genre and blacks had not picked up on it yet. I am not sure he invented it. But he did put the name to it (borrowed from the late 1960s "rap sessions")

That's not rap.

Spoken words accompanied by music is a very old bit of Americana and there are examples in most American genres of music, such as Jimmy Dean's "Big Bad John" in country music.

Because spoken words accompanied by music has appeared in so many different American musical genres, the specific term "Rap" should be reserved for the specific genre of accompanied spoken word to which the term was initially applied.

The name was taken from the French word "rapport" and was originally (as it would be applied to a specific genre of accompanied spoken word) taken from the African-American slang "to rap" meaning "to gain rapport with a young lady through witty conversation."

"Hello, baby, hold up! Let me rap to you for a minute."

The people who called themselves "The Last Poets" created "Rap" as the accompanied spoken word of the genre of music that was developing at the same time as "hip hop."

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That's not rap.

Spoken words accompanied by music is a very old bit of Americana and there are examples in most American genres of music, such as Jimmy Dean's "Big Bad John" in country music.

Because spoken words accompanied by music has appeared in so many different American musical genres, the specific term "Rap" should be reserved for the specific genre of accompanied spoken word to which the term was initially applied.

The name was taken from the French word "rapport" and was originally (as it would be applied to a specific genre of accompanied spoken word) taken from the African-American slang "to rap" meaning "to gain rapport with a young lady through witty conversation."

"Hello, baby, hold up! Let me rap to you for a minute."

The people who called themselves "The Last Poets" created "Rap" as the accompanied spoken word of the genre of music that was developing at the same time as "hip hop."

I disagree. “The last Poets” were just a bunch of poets who did poetry to sounds. But they did not consider themselves rappers. Jimmy Dean and various country artists who did rap did not consider themselves rappers either so their music isn’t seen as rap The first group to introduce rap was the Sugar Hill Gang, and they weren’t rapping about pretty girls, their raps were about life!

As far as your claim "the specific term "Rap" should be reserved for the specific genre of accompanied spoken word to which the term was initially applied," that’s just your opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the specific term "Rap" should be reserved for the specific genre of accompanied spoken word to which the term was initially applied.
Norman’s recording was the first I ever heard the label “rap” applied to a musical recording. He took it from the 1960s “rap sessions.”

A few months prior to that coming out there was a song entitled “The Rapper” but that was about a guy, not the music. It was sung.

Rap rap rap they call him the rapper
Rap rap rap you know what he’s after.

Last edited:
Upvote 0