• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

I have a HUGE question...

Discussion in 'Friendship Court' started by IBDANCN, Jul 5, 2001.

1. IBDANCN

IBDANCN Guest

+0
    Hi guys. I'm at that "wonderful" age where I'm questioning absolutely everything. :rolleyes: : This has been on my mind for a long time and I cannot seem to find the answer. Where in the Bible does it say that you cannot have sex before you're married? This is kind of an embarrassing question, and no, I'm not even wanting to have sex. Even if we were allowed to, I wouldn't want to. I've read in the Bible about sexual impurities and lusts and all that stuff, but what did God mean by that? Please help.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. HeidieNicole

HeidieNicole Guest

+0
    Just from a quick search on a bible reference site, try reading 1 Corinthians, there's quite a bit about that kind of stuff in there. I'll have a look in my sunday school stash that I have, we covered this topic quite a bit when I was in High School.

But I hope this can get you started on your knowledge trip :)

3. LouisBooth

LouisBooth Well-Known Member

+62
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Well another reason if you look over all at what God wanted for us in marrage you find 4 different things..

1. One man
    2. One woman
    3. One flesh
    4. For life

this means one man not two..one women not two one flesh..ie when you have sex you become one flesh with that person. You are bonded no matter what anyone says. This is why you should only bond with your wife/husband and the last..marrage is supposed to be for life.

4. zamar

zamar Guest

+0
    Do a study on the word Fornication. (sex outside of marriage)

Z

5. IBDANCN

IBDANCN Guest

+0
    HeidieNicole- Thank you. I tried reading 1 Corinthians. It said a lot about sexual impurities and stuff like that but nothing about "no sex before marriage".

LouisBooth- That's very interesting. I'd never thought of that before and what you said helps a lot. However, say you are engaged and you DO happen to marry this person. Then you're still only ONE flesh. But I understand where you're coming from and it helps a lot.

zamar- I looked in my Bible for the word "Fornication" but it wasn't listed. I will be looking for a concordance. Thank you so much to everyone!

6. bravesaz

bravesaz Guest

+0
    I have a really old Bible. (It was given to my Mother in 193:cool: . Anyway, I looked up fornification in its concordance. It lists the following passages:

denounced: Exodus 22:16, Leviticus 29:20, Numbers 25, Deuteronomy 22:21 Matthew 15

Spiritual: Ezekiel 16, Hosea 1, Revelations 14:8, 17:2, 18:3, 19:2

I haven't read any of these, but perhaps they will answer your questions

7. IBDANCN

IBDANCN Guest

+0
    I found a verse!!! It's Ephesians 5:5. And... I figured out why I couldn't find it before. You see, NIV translates the word "fornication" to "sexual immorality". I don't think that was a smart thing to do. People don't know exactly what God means by sexual immorality unless they compare it with a version that uses fornication. I was looking in NIV and couldn't find anything. Now I know why. ;)

8. zamar

zamar Guest

+0
    If you are looking for a common sense reason for refraining from pre-marital sex..... Look at the reported number of STD's each year. Is that something you want or would want to pass on to your spouse?

Z

9. lucypevensie

lucypevensie Not drinking the kool-aid Supporter

+23,853
    Christian
    Married
    An unintended pregnancy was always a big turn-off for me.

Also if a man and woman are able to control themselves BEFORE they get married I think the chances of them maintaining control of their urges is better WHILE they are married. I wouldn't be very trusting of a man who did a few other women before his marriage to me.

10. LouisBooth

+62
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "However, say you are engaged and you DO happen to marry this person. Then you're still only ONE flesh. "

Well, I understand what ya mean..but look at it bibically. They had a public even to tell everyone that they were "married" (ie the wedding ;) ) and then they slept together, ie one flesh. So you're still doing it out of order :lol:

11. IBDANCN

IBDANCN Guest

+0
    I think I need to clear something up. I was NOT planning on having sex before I'm married. My friend raised this question and I needed to be better prepared to answer her. I looked and looked and couldn't find a verse (because I was looking in NIV). But now I have and I told her the verse.

12. LouisBooth

+62
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Okay...if you look at marrage as defined in the OT you see this as well (ie the things I told you and the specific order that I also pointed ya to).