✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a few question for those of you with children:

1) How do you expect your children to behave?

2)What do you expect your children to do when they disobey you?

3) How do you want your children to behave?

4) What is your idea of "controlling" your children?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

With my son, I've always kept fairly close "control", I suppose, with him. Lots of subtle correction rather than letting things get out of hand.

I have been very fortunate that my son doesn't disobey me at all. He's never actually done anything bad, his only fault has been in not doing things he should do such as homework.

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
With my son, I've always kept fairly close "control", I suppose, with him. Lots of subtle correction rather than letting things get out of hand.

I have been very fortunate that my son doesn't disobey me at all. He's never actually done anything bad, his only fault has been in not doing things he should do such as homework.

Thank you for your response!

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Badly, after all they are children.

Blame it on someone else, hide it, deny it, act surprised, lie.

Not like they do, I expect a lot more out of them than they demonstrate, but then again they are children, they will learn, and be just fine.

Control is in the mind of the Parent, but it is elusive, they are outwitted at every turn, but the Idea of Control is in the fear or retribution, specifically through the notion (reality) of Discipline.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My daughter has autism, so that makes my approach a bit different to what it would otherwise be.

Even then, I don't know how to describe how I expect her to behave. I encourage her to be thoughtful of others.

When she disobeys me I'd like her to see why that's a problem, but realistically, that's not reasonable. So my main concern is keeping her safe.

I guess that's my main thought of controlling her too. Keep everyone safe!

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Badly, after all they are children.

Blame it on someone else, hide it, deny it, act surprised, lie.

Not like they do, I expect a lot more out of them than the demonstrate , but then again they are children, they will learn, and be just fine.

Control is in the mind of the Parent, but it is elusive, they are outwitted at every turn, but the Idea of Control is in the fear or retribution, specifically through the notion (reality) of Discipline.

Thank you for your response!

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My daughter has autism, so that makes my approach a bit different to what it would otherwise be.

Even then, I don't know how to describe how I expect her to behave. I encourage her to be thoughtful of others.

When she disobeys me I'd like her to see why that's a problem, but realistically, that's not reasonable. So my main concern is keeping her safe.

I guess that's my main thought of controlling her too. Keep everyone safe!

Thank you for your response! I pray that God will protect your daughter and you from harm! Asked in my trust in Jesus' Love and Authority.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I hope he behaves within the parameters appropriate to his age, but life doesn't cooperate with my expectations so...

Know that there will be consequences through consistent discipline, or in trying to be consistent myself with disciplining him.

I want him to be well behaved, but at five years old, I have found quite often I do not get what I want, and unfortunately because of the differences in discipline between his mother and myself, it seems he is mostly uneffected by our attempts to discipline. He is a stubborn minded, strong willed boy.

There are different methods, one method is through manipulating which I do not recommend because it produces a "this for that" mentality. It's best to try to be their protector and guide, and try to keep the parental anger from frustration to a minimum. I think the best approach with my son most of the time is simply talking to him. Often just letting him know I love him and I only want what's best for him, and for him to not get hurt. He still wants to hold my hand when we go places, but gradually becoming more independent since starting school. When he was younger we used a stroller, for as long as we could when going shopping, and we still use a toddler designed shopping cart when possible, but it's mostly because our son has not completely broke the habit of getting into everything he can, and of course we don't want him to get lost or hurt. My wife can be really bad about controlling sometimes, please pray for her, that she lightens up on the reins a bit and gives him a little slack, I feel sorry for the poor guy sometimes, she can be harsh one minute and then sweet to him the next...wears me out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Surprisingly well at times I don't expect, and like a kid otherwise, but one that grew up in the country (though we are in a suburb). Good influences matter a lot, and she has many from church, and in some ways we set good examples.

2 -- tell her why it matters. (respect her, at 11 yrs old, to be able to understand)

To get respect show respect. To continue in love, give love. To have a thoughtful kid, be thoughtful as you talk to them. Etc.

3 -- as she does actually.

4 -- controlling after about age 7ish (sooner or later for various kids) is a serious mistake in the way I'm used to the word (control = domineering and manipulation and something like an antagonist would do). But I definitely strive to influence her in good ways, such as by discussing deeper stuff (what matters in life, common mistakes people make, etc., ideally) when a good moment makes it possible (that's occasionally).

Best help in times of trouble -- the Lord's Prayer prayed with faith, with an emphasis on the "we" and the "our" and the "us".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Surprisingly well at times I don't expect, and like a kid otherwise, but one that grew up in the country (though we are in a suburb). Good influences matter a lot, and she has many from church, and in some ways we set good examples.

2 -- tell her why it matters. (respect her, at 11 yrs old, to be able to understand)

To get respect show respect. To continue in love, give love. To have a thoughtful kid, be thoughtful as you talk to them. Etc.

3 -- as she does actually.

4 -- controlling after about age 7ish (sooner or later for various kids) is a serious mistake in the way I'm used to the word (control = domineering and manipulation and something like an antagonist would do). But I definitely strive to influence her in good ways, such as by discussing deeper stuff (what matters in life, common mistakes people make, etc., ideally) when a good moment makes it possible (that's occasionally).

Best help in times of trouble -- the Lord's Prayer prayed with faith, with an emphasis on the "we" and the "our" and the "us".

Thank you so much for your response! It is a God sent.

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do you think God would answers these question for us?

• Useful
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0